St. Peter's India Pale Ale - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

United Kingdom (England)

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2006

3.62/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle states 5.5% alcohol.

Pours a lovely amber body with copper tones and wispy white head.

Aromas of fresh cut flowers, hops and golden syrup.

Real big peppery flavours, real bitterness. Deeply hoppy without the slightest taste of grapefruit, not much in the way of citrus either yet zesty, very yeasty in some ways.

Easy going though a lightly more lively with the fizz than expected.

Big flavours and enjoyment, give it a whirl. (438 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured into pint glass

A-pours an amberish orange nice head

S-smells like way to much caramel with maybe a hint of honey. no hops.

T-sort of a grassy hop flavor, and bitterness with a ton of malt, cant really describe.

MF-a bit creamy, medium body.

O-not that good. Don't like the hop, or malt flavor to this one. (321 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -57.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Green bottle from a local shop in Ann Arbor. Pours light golden with big fluffy white head. Aroma of skunk and hay, no hops to be found. Flavor follows with pure skunk flavor, dry finish, and a bit of hay. Mouthfeel is light. This is honestly one of the worst beers I have ever had. (282 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +5.9%

Amber colour with a small white head.

Smells of sweet hops, a hint of darker malts and some skunk.

Sweetish up front, some raisin, breadcrusty malts and a bitterness from British hops. Interesting. A more hoppy bitter.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. (261 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -29%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a Tennent's pint

Appearance: a golden yellow color with a large white head that faded rather fast and left little lacing.

Smells: has a subtle hop aroma that has hints of flowers.

Tastes: this ale is kind of strange tasting. I don't know if I am not accustomed to it but it has a pungent bitter hop note character that is sort of medicine like.

Mouthfeel: the aftertaste of this brew lingered and it wasn't the best. It has little carbonation that leads me to believe that it was expired or past best by date.

Overall: I bought this one because I have never tried it before and the bottle was quite intriguing, but I will pass up on their IPA again. I will try the other ones I saw like the cream stout from St. Peter's brewery in hopes that I like them more. (797 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle.

The beer pours a deep orange color with a finger of white head. Not much lacing. The aroma is English hops, a faint floral scent. Biscuity malt and a bit of caramel are evident as well. Taste is of bready malt and caramel up front. Mildly citrusy hops enter mid-palate. The finish is semi-sweet with a lingering bitterness. Quite nice. The beer is medium bodied with a nice medium level of carbonation. This is a pretty enjoyable beer. Great malt backbone and tasty hop profile make it quite drinkable and refreshing. I'd have this again. (554 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -28.4%

6oz pour->Sam Smith Mini-Nonic
A ~ Neat bottle. Pours golden orange with a soapy/sudsy looking head that is almost nonexistent.

S ~ Skunk, Grass, Stale bread & Biscuit. Does not smell that great.

T ~ Dirty rags, grainy malt, & dishwater at first sip. Yuck. Let open up for a few minutes to see if it would improve. Dry leaf, sweet dough, & a touch of peat. Hops are grassy & skunky. Not a good thing.

M ~ Mouthfeel was very dirty & gritty for a while. At near room temp more balance came into play.

D ~ This was very hard to drink until it warmed up substantially. I am a big fan of EIPAs, but Will definitely not revisit. I'm definitely thinking I got a lightstruck bottle...but why take the chance? (709 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This comes in an iconic ‘medicine’ bottle, tinted green, which is either a selling point or a cheap gimmick, depending on how you feel. That said, I’m entering this beer experience with no preconceptions, other than a hearty recommendation that finally convinced me to give it a try.

Gave this a hearty pour into a nonic pint glass. Received a healthy amount of foam initially that gradually died down to a solid finger’s worth of cushioning. The beer itself poured a golden-amber color, like dark honey almost, and just as murky. I found this surprising for an IPA as I expected more clarity. It’s not cloudy, and it’s not really murky, but it does appear to be similar to an unfiltered ale. Curious.

There’s a wonderful aroma to this. Very strong, as I can pick it up almost an arm’s length away. It’s very sweet, very pleasing, very soft and floral. I pick up a lot of honey (clove?) and a little malt biscuit. It’s delicious, just the aroma alone, and so enticing.
The taste is incredibly pleasant, as agreeable as the aroma. It’s nothing at all like what I’d expect from an IPA. Certainly my palate has been conditioned to expect, crisp, floral, and above all hoppy IPAs (West Coast hop bombs, anyone?) but this defies those expectations. The beer starts out smooth, and (again) sweet, then there’s this mellow middle and a sharp yet muted hop finish that begs for another sip. Some orange, a lot of zest. The kind of sweetness you might find in a double IPA, only without the chewy mouthfeel I associate with it. The carbonation sticks out, for it’s the closest a bottled beer that I’ve had in recent memory has reminded me of the better bitters I’ve had on hand-pump. In the same spirit I will say that the beer holds its own as it warms, releasing more of its malty sweetness. Definitely serve at its proper temperature as you’ll miss some of the nuances when it’s poured at refrigerator temperature.

I could share this with my beer geek friends and those who would never drink an IPA alike and I think both camps would be as happy as I am with it. It’s not a terribly complex beer, but it is incredibly delicious and drinkable. I poured half of my bottle to drink, saving the second half to finish with dinner. Instead, I let my meal get cold while I finished the rest of the beer. Not that it wouldn’t pair well, I just didn’t want anything else to distract from the flavor of this beer. Savored the pint over the course of an hour. It’s going to be hard to follow this one up with anything else I have available tonight. Delicious.

Revisited:
Saw a stamp on the back “11 03”. Made me wish I checked the first time I had this.

Definitely picking up a more pronounced hop profile on this bottle. The first time I had it I thought it was excellent, but not anything like the West Coast hop bomb IPA style that I’ve grown accustomed to—tho’ it did make me imagine that this was what a British-style (perhaps cask conditioned) IPA was actually like. Now I’m thinking the first bottle I had was just plain old. Thankfully not skunked. This is still great, but now with hops! Very citrusy, refreshing, light but flavorful hops. (3,195 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +5.9%

A 500ml bottle with a BB of Dec 2011. ABV is stated as 5.5%. The olive green bottle has an antique design, but is round rather than oval. A beer to celebrate IPA day!

Poured into a Sam Smith's glass. A rich golden-amber colour with low carbonation and good clarity. Yields a large off-white head of creamy foam that lasts for a couple of minutes before subsiding. Aroma of stewed hops/leaves with a backbone of caramel malt and a hint of ethanol and diacetyl.

Tastes of slightly sweet malt with a dry bitter finish. Notes of stewed hops, caramel/toffee and some buttery diacetyl in the background. Also a hint of alcohol/solvent. Hops are pleasantly bitter, but not aromatic. Mouthfeel is smooth, slick and tingly. Quite astringent. Aftertaste of bitter stewed hops.

A pretty good IPA in keeping with the English style, and nicely balanced. I wish it had more aromatic hops to round out the bitterness. The diacetyl is palatable but a bit of a flaw. Worth trying, but I reckon there are better examples out there. (1,016 characters)

After reading reviews, I gathered that this one is more of what an ESB should be, rather than anything Americans have become accustomed to identifying as an IPA. I also gathered that the hops and sweetness were out of whack, but I jumped at the chance to try a session beer that is uncompromisingly classic British.

I didn't make my purchase expecting to be blown away. It was more about the experience of experiencing something different. Maybe it's not sooo "different", but I have been blown away!

A- poured into a La Trappe goblet is appears a deep and glowing amber nearly transparent. The depth suggests a malty beer, but it moves fairly freely. It's capped by a cloud of froth. Very appetizing.

A- Here's a two for one. It begins smelling the way the roses I just bought for my mother OUGHT to smell. Very floral, to the point of passing for perfume. As the beer warms, and the flavors settle, a toasted bread aroma prevails. The scent of buttered fresh bread floods the nose, and then a hint of mustiness creeps in to give the scent extra life. Some esters associated with English ales peek through, as well.
In some ways this beer smells like a Trippel before the yeast sting.

T- Juicy as much as malty. Far, far more like an American Pale Ale than the standard English Bitter. The hops are biting, but not offensive. The malt flavor will emerge as the beer rises towards room temperature, but never achieves the chewiness of German Lagers. The hops are too familiar, so I suspect the English varietals have influenced American breeds that much, or some American hops were utilized. Bitterness spikes in the finish, but the beer remains very well put together. I have had American Pale Ales that were stronger, but far flabbier.

The malt balance of this beer is exemplary of perfection. Hops are showcased (without violating any sense of acceptability), but the malt holds more status than merely a serving as a vehicle for featuring hop decadence. The malt is enjoyable, and as the beer drinks, the malt's aroma, mouthfeel and aroma don't simply hold the beer together, they cause it to standout.

M- Fullness: this beer's hallmark character. For all the flavor and relatively insubstantial ABV, this beer manages to provide a body that carries the depth of flavor and finish dry. It's similar to the consummate Lager.

O- I feel this beer's labeling does it more injustice than the marketing manager could have ever perceived. Perhaps most grab this off the shelf expecting an irregularity. They hope it'll be a relic of the past, or an answer to check a dominating trend. It's not that at all and it doesn't have to be. It's unfortunate if many were left disappointed after hopes were dashed. But for those who pick this beer open to whatever it might hold as a beer, they will be very pleased. It's easy drinking, and profoundly enjoyable.
It remains session strength and doesn't threaten to incapacitate the palate. It's just enough, and for that it leaves me wanting more, more, more!

I should add: I first became aware of St. Peter's when I saw their Porter... at the time I was drinking a lot of Belgian Strong Pale Ales and Tripples. In that light, the porter was roasty, full-bodied and sweet. Since then, I've found it think and nearly insipid. I don't dislike it, but I prefer fuller-bodied examples of the style. That demonstrates how relative tastes can be.
St. Peter's IPA has far exceeded their other products, in my book. I count this, now, among my favorite beers.

7/24 (3,505 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: The beer is clear light copper in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin off white head that quickly died down leaving delicate lacing covering the surface.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of grassy and herbal hops in addition to fruity yeast in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste has some notes of fruits from the yeast and hints of caramel malts. There is a light amount of bitterness from the hops.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a bit crisp on the palate with a low to moderate amount of carbonation. There is some dryness in the finish.
O: The beer is easy to drink, but I wouldn’t consider it to be sessionable (despite the low alcohol content) because the taste doesn’t capture my interest long enough to have more than one of these in a sitting. (805 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle. 5.5% abv best before 9/2011

Crystal clear light golden/amber color. Thin, just off white head. Medium carbonation. Nothing spectacular in the appearance but the important parts are yet to come.

Big honey and floral aroma. Surprisingly syrupy and malty sweet. Feel like I should drizzle this on my pancakes at breakfast. Nice but not in the way I expected.

Big malty sweet flavor with a pleasant hop hit. Probably at the limit of balance between drinkability and still having enough going on to make it interesting. Really nice spicy hop presence.

Well well well. This beer really delivers where it has to. Seriously enjoyable and well made. Reinforcing my admiration for English ales, especially the ipa. (722 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +0.9%

Dark amber almost copper with white foamy head that stays around. Subtle aroma that's undeniably English: wood, herbal, dough reminiscent of unsweetened cookies, slight mugwort. Muggy flavors of herbs, dough, dirt and grass, soft malt sweetness makes an appearance, toffee, slight citrus note towards the finish with some welcomed hop presence. Dry and lasting bitterness. Thick body with light carbonation. This transports me to old England. I'm enjoying the trip. (465 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -8.3%

A: Off white head, light brown color, clear and has average lacing.

S: Off putting. Not fruity like American IPAs. I assume there are mainly German hops in here.

T: Suprisingly great. Malty more than hoppy. Hop flavors are almost nonexistent. Not the norm for the IPAs I drink. Low hop bitters means this could be a easy drinker though. Crisp and clean finish. Good beer but not really IPA in flavor.

M: Very thin. Little carbonation.

D: Very easy to drink. Could be sessionable since it won't overwhelm one's palate. (521 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -20.1%

Decent copper, with very little carbonation.

Aroma is mild, without much hoppy character. Disappointing.

Hmm. The bottle is green, with no detectable freshness date. I think this one was past it's days, as the shop I got it from couldn't verify the age, either. Anyway, on with the review...

Some bitterness in the tasting, otherwise kind of maple-like, acidic. Likely past it's prime, and barely even drinkable in this state. Beware of aged & light-struck bottles. (468 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +21.3%

Appearance: Crystal clear amber colored beer with an off white long lasting medium head.

Smell: Nice british noble hop aromas and some strong malts in here as well. very nice.

Taste: Best british IPA I've had. Very well balanced. Nice malt and hop flavors. Will be having again.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. not much to say here.

Drinkability: Will be buying again and again. very nice beer. (392 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Had on cask at the Jerusalem Tavern in London.

A- Pours a nice copper-gold, with a nice white head, no haze.

S- Some hops presence, but sweetish for the style.

T- Well balanced, not as hoppy as some, but finishes well.

M- Smooth, almost creamy, well carbonated.

D- Very nice, a decent English IPA, could drink several of these. (332 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

A soap bubble off-white, two-finger head sits atop a clear copper body. The carbonation bubbles coming from the imperfections in my glass are very fine, amply supplying the dissipated 2 cm head. Lacing is incredibly sticky.

The smell is of fresh baked bread and a floral hops aroma. It's all very inviting.

Very piny hops hit the taste buds and transmute almost immediately into a citric presence that is satisfyingly strong. The toasty malt body balances out the hops profile nicely. The aftertaste lingers on forever, giving off an oily hops taste with a tannin/graininess that is particularly unforgettable.

Suspended carbonation is medium and the malt body lends a slightly chewy nature to the beer.

On-tap, this beer is a lot of fun. It's tastes extremely fresh and balanced, considering how much of a hops presence it really has. Most reviews are from the bottle and the average grade is spot on. A green bottle is no way to treat a beer as good as this. (964 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -0.3%

Aroma is quite strong and, surprisingly, more fruity than hoppy, having apple, pear and a hint of banana. It pours an average clear dark amber with a fairly thick, fluffy, off-white head. Flavor is hoppy, somewhat bitter, rather fruity and just a bit syrupy, quite different from most IPAs I have sampled - this is almost like a blend of an IPA and a cider. It has a yeasty, earthy undertone, and overall is rather satisfying. Texture is fairly smooth, just a little tingly, and a teeny bit slimy. (497 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +21%

A: Into a pint glass, this pours a clear amber color under a thin but nicely sustained head.

S: A moderately sweet sugared cookie malt nose with notes of caramel and roasted nuts.

M/T: A full flavored treat throughout with an opening that displays a great dance between sweet and bitter into a caramel sweet center and finish. All in all, I experience a smooth and well balanced mouthfeel and taste throughout...

D: This is a much appreciated trip in a glass across the pond for me into the history book of IPA and what it may have tasted like back in the day... (565 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +17.5%

This is the third beer I've tried from St. Peter's. I've been meaning to pick this up and try it for a few weeks now on my friend's recommendation. There are so many American IPA's out there that are super-hopped compared to their original English counterparts. My friend told me that this St. Peter's India Pale Ale is as close as I'd probably get to a true English IPA this side of the pond.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear, deep copper brown, light, large-bubbled foam on top that dissipated quickly to a thin line on top. Very, very slight lacing that stuck for a few minutes on the side as I drank down through the bottle. Before even trying, I could see that this was not light-struck and skunked. The smell and flavor confirmed this impression.

Smell: Primarily toffee, a slight hint of fruit- mostly apple and agave nectar. Grassy hops.

Taste: When it first hit my palate, there was a malt profile of creamy toffee and a hint of apple and agave. Then on to grassy hops and a finish of herbal hops that persisted a minute after swallowing.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel, nice carbonation that tingles and bubbles on the tongue. Very clean.

Drinkability: I could drink this all night. The balance of malt to hops is much more even compared to American IPA counterparts. This is definitely a beer on my list of "I wish I could try this on nitro!" beers. I drank this while eating homemade curried lentils. It was a fantastic pairing! (1,469 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance - Dark amber with a thin white head

Smell - Citrisy grainy smell. Has some earthiness to it.

Taste - More maltiness then hoppiness. sorta sweet. good hoppy finish though.

Mouthfeel - Seems very carbonated and lite and seems a little thin

Drinkablitly - Not too bad not too good.

Notes - This beer is slightly below average. Its not horrible. Then again its just not where it should be. (401 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -23.4%

A- copper colored and a loose but white foam. Foam doesn't stay for long and it has little as no bubbles...

S- Hoppy and really mild that doesn't make a interesting IPA

T- Bitter and has a little sweetness

M- Nothing interesting...

D- Sweet and bitter at the same time, nothing special. (291 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -27.2%

Medium copper color with a white head that diissiaptes slowly.
Very hoppy smell with something I can't identify.
First taste was nice and fresh hops, second taste was alcoholly, not very good.
Mouthfeel is light to medium with definite carbonation presence.
Will not purchase this again. Have enjoyed St. Peter's brews, but not this one. (337 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours dark amber with an off-white lasting head.
Nose shows some caramel malt but seems somewhat dirty. Nice earthy and resinous hops though.
Same problem with the malt as a flavour. The hops are once again quite noticeable, but the bitterness they provide is dull. Some nutty notes.
Good moderately high carbonation. (317 characters)

St. Peter's India Pale Ale from St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd