St. Peter's Sorgham Beer - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

German Pilsener |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-28-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.1/5  rDev +16.1%

I had purchased this a while back, thinking that perhaps an article on gluten-free beers might be in the offing. When I could not find a taker, the beers got shunted to the side. I had a colleague who has issues with gluten and she was always curious about beers that were gluten-free. I usually eschew them since I am not gluten-intolerant and prefer to leave them for people who are. In the interim, I am purging my massive backlog of bottles this summer and lo and behold! this one popped up. They will now be part of The Great Bottle Purge of the Summer of 2014.

From the bottle: "Beer made from Sorghum (contains no wheat or barley)"; "Sorgham Beer (TM) [-] A clean, crisp beer with a pilsner style lager finish and aromas of citrus and mandarin from American Amarillo hops. Made from Sorghum, not wheat or barley. Brewed with skill and patience on one of Britain's finest malt breweries."; "Historical Notes [-] St. Peter's Brewery is located in a medieval hall in a remote and beautiful corner of Suffolk. There our beers begin their lives deep below the brewery with water drawn from a pure source - as it has been for over 700 years, essential for the full flavour and pure character of all St. Peter's beers."; "Our beautiful flask-shaped oval bottle is a faithful copy of one produced c. 1770 for Thomas Gerrard of Gibbstown, just across the Delaware River from Philadelphia. The original is now kept at St. Peter's Hall and is a rare example of an oval Eighteenth Century beer bottle."; [depicted -] St. Peter's Hall, circa 1280 AD".

Having learned that these gluten-free beers have no lees, I proceeded with an aggro pour, creating two bubbly, fizzy fingers of bone-white head with decent retention. Nose had a soft apple vinegar scent, not as sharp as with most of the others that I have tried. Color was a yellowish-gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. The taste had a salty, grassy quality. like a cross between a Gose and Samuel Smith's Organic Lager, possibly due to the water they are using. This was oddly pleasant, which I realize is another instance of my damning with faint praise. I have come to realize that I am not a fan of these gluten-free beers, but neither am I really their intended audience. Finish was semi-dry with a light sweetness beginning to emerge. I did not really perceive citrus or mandarin, but at least it was palatable. (2,405 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -1.5%

A: The beer is crystal clear dark yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high bright white head that quickly died down and left a wide collar consisting of large bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of sorghum are present in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste is dominated by sorghum flavors but these seem to be muted a bit by the hops, which contribute a slight amount of bitterness and faint hints of citrus. The sorghum flavors linger through the finish and aftertaste and seem to be a little rancid.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and a little clean and crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has lots of aromas and flavors of sorghum, so if you are accustomed to gluten-free beers, this might not be a bad selection. It seemed to have a nicer mouthfeel compared to some of the other gluten-free beers that I've tried. (941 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

St. Peter's sorgham beer is a headless, laceless pale orange-brown. It has a mild hops smell. The taste is overwhelmingly bitter, but with little depth beyond that. It gives the impression of being highly alcoholic despite being having a low ABV.

I won't be trying it again. (276 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

Poured into a pils glass.

3.25 A: This is carbonated like mad. First pour gave me over two hands of head. Several pours later I discovered a clear medium yellow color. Three plus fingers of foamy white head. Retention lasts seemingly forever as bubbly reinforcement from below keep it maintained. Lots of lacing.

1.75 S: Smells of perfumy doughy sweetness with notes of ginger ale. Strange and I don't really care for it.

1.5 T: Sweet doughiness. No much in terms of hops. Perfumy ginger ale. Not much else to say - doughy overly sweetened ginger ale.

3.5 M: Medium body. I swirled this enough to get the carbonation down to an acceptable level. Moderately creamy. Not bad here.

1.25 D: All I need to say is that I wouldn't drink beer if I had to drink sorghum beer. Stuff is horrible. (790 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I was warned that this beer was super gross by the guy I was trying to give my money too.... so I figured it must be way gross. Thought I'd try it out as it might bring something different to the table.

A: A most average looking beer except for the massive white head that has the best retention of any beer I have ever seen. Bubbles are thick... looks like peanut brittle or so.

S: Very grassy which is likely due to the nature of the plant. Umm... yeah a little yeast as well. I mean... not bad.

T: Very light. Not gross but decently pungent. Very earthy and grassy. I mean... I kind of dig it but I can see how others might not like it.

M: Again that huge grassy earthy note develops but the carbonation doesn't overpower. It's 'ight

Overall I thought this beer was solidly average. Certainly not bad, certainly not great. If you're in the mood for something unique check it out but it was pretty light so.... (918 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

500 ml bottle bought locally for $6.49. Hmm, more expensive than the other 2 St. Peters beers that showed up in town and it has terrible ratings. Weird.

I still like the flask shape of the bottle.

It pours like a macro lager, light golden colour with lots of bubbles but a more substantial head of foam.

I don't know if I've ever smelled sorghum before but it must be the key thing I'm smelling. Grainy, very corn like. One dimensional.

No barley or wheat and from the first sip, I could tell. Grainy as hell with some lemon notes in between the grain. There isn't that much of a flavour of corn, though it is there. The finish has a nasty aspirin like bitterness that completely turns me off to this brew. I'm thinking about drain pouring it but I guess I'll stick it out.

Bottom line, I think the concept of a sorghum beer is ludicrous and its execution, with this beer, is proof. (889 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -6.4%

St Peters Sorgham Beer

Appearance: champagne dark yellow, small head, and some good lacing.

Smell: sorgham and fruit.

Taste: sorghum flavored cough medicine.

Mouthfeel: light and smooth.

Overall:
This looked and smelled nice, but the flavor is not that great. It really just tastes like cheap cough medicine. (317 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Of the 14 gluten-free beers I've tried, this was the worst. It at least had a hoppy profile, but the bitterness just tasted... wrong. It smelled a little funky, making me wonder if I just had a bad bottle. I've had other St. Peter's I've enjoyed and other sorgham-based beers I've enjoyed, but this one didn't cut it. (317 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -11.6%

A. It's clear gold with some bubbles, a foamy head and mild lacing.

S. Kind of smells like weed.

T. True to the smell, there's a weed taste there, too. But it's bland overall and then turns sour. Has a slight watermelon test.

M Just a weird, stale aftertaste.

O. Not very good, but not horrible. (299 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -31.5%

Pours a rather non existent head that slowly builds into a bit of a white top. Rather unimpressive color, a bit of slow moving bubbles and it leaves a touch of lace on the glass.

My first though on this was SKUNK, but I think I just didn't know what it was and had that smell in mind based on the green bottle. There are some skunk like elements here, but I'm getting some white grape like notes and a good bit of really really low carb nasty bread like notes from the yeast.

The body has a rice cake like...the awful food the fat women eat thinking they'll get skinny stuff. I'm at a loss for words to describe this, it isn't so terrible in a beer, but the flavor doesn't conger up positive feelings. A good bit of hops but something is off. I'm not sure if it is a result of the hop variety or what. Very earthy and off putting.

Given the lack of whte and barley the body is pretty decent. Well carbonated on the mouth and certainly no alcohol comes through here.

I'm join the masses in complete thumbs down on this one. That said I've had worse and less flavorful beers. (1,080 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +6.7%

This baby looks a lot like carbonated apple juice, rolling over with fruity aromas, pear, apple, and white grape, as well tempting with a lingering hop note. There are two parts to the bitterness here. One comes at the front and is a traditional kind of bitter, then after about four seconds later an aftertaste bitter hits like cardboard glue. A lot of common pilsner flavor in here. Almost like a dry hopped Heineken. Interesting, yet not really my thing. Light medium body, helps the fruity tang come out in the bitter and a mild carbonation is enjoyable as well. (566 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -6.4%

I poured this funny looking beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. I noticed right off the bat there was no head at all. The beer did have a beautiful gold color to it though. The beer had a slight hop smell. This brew tasted flat and stale and bitter. I will not buy again. (271 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -12%

I know there's a market for these beers, and knowing someone with a gluten intolerance makes me aware of how miserable finding the right foods can be, but I figured I'd give this a try and see if it can be imbibed by those without celiac. It is not good. Very little head retention. Looks like one of my own bad home brews. Sweet apple candy smell. Very dry, with some of that same sweetness showing through. Not a lot of flavor. Carbonation is minimal. If you feel the need, try it like I did and move on. It'll be my first, and last, sorghum beer. (549 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a light, straw yellow and is runny with a fizzy white head. Very reminiscent of more typical American lagers.

S: Smells slightly bitter up front like most German pilsners with a hint of saison crispness, subtle noble hops and some soft, complementary malt backbone; very European.

T/M: Taste is dry and bitter, almost like someone overdid a batch of Grolsch and decided to slap a St. Peter's label on it. There is a touch of something citric or acidic lingering, but the bitterness runs the show in this beer and is a little much.

Not the greatest beer, and I'm not sure if I want to try another sorghum beer.

TheBeerAlmanac.com (672 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Golden straw color on pour with a thin layer of foam.

S: Aroma is bright with a light honey smell to it.

T: Clean crisp orangy that turns into a bitter orange with a rind finish.

M: Light bodied and dry, tiny bubbles carb this one nicely.

O: Very odd flavor and will not be seeking this one out again. (308 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -12.7%

Blind BIF #5, Beer #5 from abraxel.

A-Pours a hazy peach with a very little bit of off white head, nor much retention. No lacing. Carbonation is very light.

S-Malty with what seems to be a strong whiff of corn. Cream ale?

T-Sweet with a rather light maltiness and again some corn notes. Little to no apparent hoppiness. Not a lot of flavor here.

M-Light bodied. The low carbonation makes the flavors even more ephemeral.

O-My first sorghum beer, and I hope my last. I really feel for beer lovers who develop an intolerance to gluten.

HV (543 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -18.4%

A - Pours with half a finger of white foam that settles down quickly and leaves little lace. The body is a very clear, deep golden color.

S - Strange, spicy notes of clove and oregano with a bit of musty hop character in the background.

T - Sour, toasty malt up front with some musty hop flavor. More of the same in the middle with some notes of grapefruit to the hops and a really harsh bitterness beginning to come out. Things finish up with dry malt and strong, pithy bitterness.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a dry, harshly bitter finish.

D - Wow, this is really, really bad. They seem to have tried to cover up the lack of actual malt by dosing the beer with the worst, most harsh hop character that they could conjure up. It tastes like salt and battery acid with some old bread thrown in for depth. This is a true drain pour and it was a struggle to drink enough of it to write a review. I don't think that there is anything wrong with this particular bottle, it is just monumentally bad. (1,012 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +10.5%

poured into a pilsner glasss a nice golden color with no head or lacing. the smell started out skunky from the bottle but went away after a minute in the glass, then you could smell the grass, floral hops, and bread. the taste was light and crisp up front than turned to roasted grass then finally bitterness from hops. no mouthfeel, pretty flat all the way through with a dry finish. overall nothing to get excited about, except the oval shaped bottle, which was the reason i bought it to begin with. (501 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -2.2%

Pour is very light golden, small head that dissipates quickly. Smell of hops with a bit of skunkiness. The taste is fairly strongly of hops with a bit of malt and a slight floral flavor--the taste is right in line with the smell. Not very bitter despite strong hops, pretty classic pilsner flavor. Light bodied mouthfeel. (321 characters)

2.82/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured to a chilled mug.

A: Medium copper color with a one inch head. Low retention, reducing down to a very sticky heavy lacing. Extra points for the 18th century oval beer bottle (3)

S: Solid grassy funk out of the bottle - almost like an onion grass. Slight ammonia smell. (1)

T: Definitely different than what I was expecting from the smell. Almost a mineral water flavor on the palette. Toasted grass favor with a heavy citris peel on the finish. There is a spice in the aftertaste I can't quite pick out - maybe a nutmeg. I'm not a pilsner fan - but I could get used to this based on taste alone. (3.5)

M: Light but creamy. Carbonation is a bit different than I'm used to - wouldn't call it flat but it's so fine I kind of want to. (3.0)

D: As a non-normally-pilsner drinker I have to say I wouldn't mind a session of this. Not sure if that makes it a bad pilsner or a good beer. I have trouble thinking of what I would pair this with - maybe shellfish. (3.5)

Overall - While I like the flavor - I'm not sure I could get over the smell. Not sure if that's just a sorgham thing or not. I think really enjoying this beer would require me to find the right pairing for it - something that could balance out the pallet a bit. (1,233 characters)

2.93/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Pours copper in color with a thin layer of creamy head. Carbonation levels look to be low. The head dissipates almost completely as you drink, little to no lacing.

S: Interesting smell, different than what I am used to, even for a pilsener. Smells predominantly of floral hops, grass and sweet malts. Maybe some citrus. I'm guessing the unique aroma I'm smelling is from the sorgham. There's a slight amonia tinge in there as well.

T: Kind of a sweet, floral hop and caramel malt flavor with some burnt grass and lots of grapefruit. Hop bitterness on the finish. Very crisp and dry. Pretty simplistic mix overall. Different. Lingering flavor of vanilla and mixed grains.

M: Light in body and pretty thin, with a slight creaminess. I could use a little bit more carbonation. Comes off a bit dull.

D: This is a drinkable beer with a unique flavor, but I wouldn't say it's overly refreshing or palatable. I suppose this flavor will appeal to those who like the taste of sorgham, and not so much for others. Glad to have tried it, but St. Peter's certainly has better beers, and this just doesn't compare to other beers in the category. (1,139 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +28.1%

Pours a golden color with little retention and lacing, but has good carbonation. The smell is citrus, and floral hops. The taste is floral hops, and citrus. But also seems to have some sweet syrup and malts that try to drown out the bitterness, but the bitterness ends up winning. The mouth feel is a light bodied watery feel that just flows down the throat very easily. Not a bad beer, but nothing great either. (412 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +22.8%

very clear with little or no head little retention. Nothing really jumps out at you for the smell...skunky heineken maybe. I never really tasted sorgham before, and after reading the reviews first in which I do on occasion it wasnt really that bad..a pretty strong grapefuilt taste...but overall like a day without the sunshine. It doesnt feel bad in the mouth though..pretty clean. Im pretty sure I wouldnt have a problem with another one (439 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +32.2%

Just sipped some of this pilsner style wheat free, gluten free beer. This was pretty interesting and wish it wasn't so expensive because the was really refreshing and quenching. I am usually not a pilsner guy but I found this pilsner-style to be to my liking. Citrus elements are strong which i think adds to the freshness and soothing mouthfeel. There was virtually no head or lacing present. I think i would enjoy this very much in quantity on a hot summer day. (463 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -44.6%

The beer pours a pale yellow with a frothy fizzy white head. The smell of a sorgham beer always reminds me of champagne. Smells sweet, almost like honey. The beer tastes green. Im not sure where they got there sorghum but this beer is not balanced. My dad is a celiac and I have had some good gluten free beers, but this isnt one of them. The mouthfeel is light. This is not a drinkable beer, even if I were a celiac I think I would just turn to wine. (451 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast