St. Peter's Sorgham Beer - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

poor

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

German Pilsener |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-28-2009)
2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

afsdan, Aug 06, 2014
3.08/5  rDev +14.9%

I had purchased this a while back, thinking that perhaps an article on gluten-free beers might be in the offing. When I could not find a taker, the beers got shunted to the side. I had a colleague who has issues with gluten and she was always curious about beers that were gluten-free. I usually eschew them since I am not gluten-intolerant and prefer to leave them for people who are. In the interim, I am purging my massive backlog of bottles this summer and lo and behold! this one popped up. They will now be part of The Great Bottle Purge of the Summer of 2014.

From the bottle: "Beer made from Sorghum (contains no wheat or barley)"; "Sorgham Beer (TM) [-] A clean, crisp beer with a pilsner style lager finish and aromas of citrus and mandarin from American Amarillo hops. Made from Sorghum, not wheat or barley. Brewed with skill and patience on one of Britain's finest malt breweries."; "Historical Notes [-] St. Peter's Brewery is located in a medieval hall in a remote and beautiful corner of Suffolk. There our beers begin their lives deep below the brewery with water drawn from a pure source - as it has been for over 700 years, essential for the full flavour and pure character of all St. Peter's beers."; "Our beautiful flask-shaped oval bottle is a faithful copy of one produced c. 1770 for Thomas Gerrard of Gibbstown, just across the Delaware River from Philadelphia. The original is now kept at St. Peter's Hall and is a rare example of an oval Eighteenth Century beer bottle."; [depicted -] St. Peter's Hall, circa 1280 AD".

Having learned that these gluten-free beers have no lees, I proceeded with an aggro pour, creating two bubbly, fizzy fingers of bone-white head with decent retention. Nose had a soft apple vinegar scent, not as sharp as with most of the others that I have tried. Color was a yellowish-gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. The taste had a salty, grassy quality. like a cross between a Gose and Samuel Smith's Organic Lager, possibly due to the water they are using. This was oddly pleasant, which I realize is another instance of my damning with faint praise. I have come to realize that I am not a fan of these gluten-free beers, but neither am I really their intended audience. Finish was semi-dry with a light sweetness beginning to emerge. I did not really perceive citrus or mandarin, but at least it was palatable.

woodychandler, Jul 30, 2014

JoeMans, Jul 17, 2014

macesq, Jun 26, 2014

BuzzCP, Jun 22, 2014

MaddDogg84, May 31, 2014
2.63/5  rDev -1.9%

A: The beer is crystal clear dark yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high bright white head that quickly died down and left a wide collar consisting of large bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of sorghum are present in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste is dominated by sorghum flavors but these seem to be muted a bit by the hops, which contribute a slight amount of bitterness and faint hints of citrus. The sorghum flavors linger through the finish and aftertaste and seem to be a little rancid.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and a little clean and crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has lots of aromas and flavors of sorghum, so if you are accustomed to gluten-free beers, this might not be a bad selection. It seemed to have a nicer mouthfeel compared to some of the other gluten-free beers that I've tried.

metter98, Apr 01, 2014

tyleeis, Feb 16, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

biokid23, Feb 03, 2014
2.55/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

St. Peter's sorgham beer is a headless, laceless pale orange-brown. It has a mild hops smell. The taste is overwhelmingly bitter, but with little depth beyond that. It gives the impression of being highly alcoholic despite being having a low ABV.

I won't be trying it again.

BrewViking, Jan 09, 2014

1.5/5  rDev -44%

rderedin, Jul 20, 2013

leroybrown10, Jul 16, 2013
1.79/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

Poured into a pils glass.

3.25 A: This is carbonated like mad. First pour gave me over two hands of head. Several pours later I discovered a clear medium yellow color. Three plus fingers of foamy white head. Retention lasts seemingly forever as bubbly reinforcement from below keep it maintained. Lots of lacing.

1.75 S: Smells of perfumy doughy sweetness with notes of ginger ale. Strange and I don't really care for it.

1.5 T: Sweet doughiness. No much in terms of hops. Perfumy ginger ale. Not much else to say - doughy overly sweetened ginger ale.

3.5 M: Medium body. I swirled this enough to get the carbonation down to an acceptable level. Moderately creamy. Not bad here.

1.25 D: All I need to say is that I wouldn't drink beer if I had to drink sorghum beer. Stuff is horrible.

DavoleBomb, Jun 02, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

Daniellobo, May 30, 2013

t0rin0, Feb 20, 2013
3.45/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I was warned that this beer was super gross by the guy I was trying to give my money too.... so I figured it must be way gross. Thought I'd try it out as it might bring something different to the table.

A: A most average looking beer except for the massive white head that has the best retention of any beer I have ever seen. Bubbles are thick... looks like peanut brittle or so.

S: Very grassy which is likely due to the nature of the plant. Umm... yeah a little yeast as well. I mean... not bad.

T: Very light. Not gross but decently pungent. Very earthy and grassy. I mean... I kind of dig it but I can see how others might not like it.

M: Again that huge grassy earthy note develops but the carbonation doesn't overpower. It's 'ight

Overall I thought this beer was solidly average. Certainly not bad, certainly not great. If you're in the mood for something unique check it out but it was pretty light so....

Jamesthebrit, Oct 23, 2012