St. Peter's Sorgham Beer - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

poor

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

German Pilsener |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-28-2009)
Reviews by TJBAIHWL:
TJBAIHWL

3.15/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours light orange-yellow. Very clear. The head is more or less non-existant. Fairly good lacing. The smell is weak. Maybe some spicy grain and a bit of citus/pine hops if you smell real hard-like. This taste is... unique. There's thin caramel sweetness at first with some citrus. There's a spiciness that tingles around the edge of the tongue and a taste similar to weak rye underlying it all. I guess that's the sorgham? It fades to a stale bitterness that gets kind of foul as the glass gets emptier. It's interesting, but I definitely don't think I'd call it good.

09-20-2010 03:50:24 | More by TJBAIHWL

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

02-26-2014 02:20:47 | More by Griffith
augustgarage

2.38/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from a 500mL botle into a pilsner glass.

This is not an ESB. There is a large family of African home-brewed sorghum beer (once popular in Benin, Togo, Burkina Faso, Mali, The Sudan, Nigeria, Cameroon, and Egypt), but since I've never had that, I can't evaluate this beer in terms of that "style" either. I think the best thing to do is call this a specialty ale...

In any case,

Liquid is a pale amber with perfect clarity. Thin fizzy head dissipates almost immediately.

Aroma is singular. Sugar, alfalfa, feedlot, diesel, some fruit. Very unusual.

Good balance between sorghum and hops, the latter offering a slight peppery flavor and a welcome bitterness. Rather sweet if thought of as a lager and not at all pissy. Slight maltiness in the finish.

Light-bodied with moderate carbonation. Slick yet watery all at once.

St. Peter's makes a point of saying that this brew contains no wheat or barley...all I can say is that I now have a MUCH greater appreciation of wheat and barley!

I'm sure this is an acquired taste, but not one I expect to acquire...maybe worth trying for fans of Maotai.

08-11-2009 02:37:23 | More by augustgarage
JoeAmerican77

Colorado

2.83/5  rDev +5.6%

This baby looks a lot like carbonated apple juice, rolling over with fruity aromas, pear, apple, and white grape, as well tempting with a lingering hop note. There are two parts to the bitterness here. One comes at the front and is a traditional kind of bitter, then after about four seconds later an aftertaste bitter hits like cardboard glue. A lot of common pilsner flavor in here. Almost like a dry hopped Heineken. Interesting, yet not really my thing. Light medium body, helps the fruity tang come out in the bitter and a mild carbonation is enjoyable as well.

10-24-2011 00:59:40 | More by JoeAmerican77
BrewViking

2.55/5  rDev -4.9%

St. Peter's sorgham beer is a headless, laceless pale orange-brown. It has a mild hops smell. The taste is overwhelmingly bitter, but with little depth beyond that. It gives the impression of being highly alcoholic despite being having a low ABV.

I won't be trying it again.

01-09-2014 05:24:45 | More by BrewViking
Ralphs66

2.33/5  rDev -13.1%

I know there's a market for these beers, and knowing someone with a gluten intolerance makes me aware of how miserable finding the right foods can be, but I figured I'd give this a try and see if it can be imbibed by those without celiac. It is not good. Very little head retention. Looks like one of my own bad home brews. Sweet apple candy smell. Very dry, with some of that same sweetness showing through. Not a lot of flavor. Carbonation is minimal. If you feel the need, try it like I did and move on. It'll be my first, and last, sorghum beer.

10-02-2011 22:10:26 | More by Ralphs66
EBeckett3

08-14-2013 03:01:44 | More by EBeckett3
puboflyons

New Hampshire

2.42/5  rDev -9.7%

From the 25 fl. oz. bottle #1021-0. Sampled on Nov. 2, 2010. The pour is slightly hazy with a frosty, fizzy head that diminishes to a ring around the glass. There is a little bit of clinging lacing. The aroma is slightly skunked from the dark green bottle with malts, corn, and a bit of hops. The body is on the thin side as is the flavor. What flavor there is comes in tart and sour like a melon. It is lightly hopped at the finish. Nothing extraordnary here.

11-02-2010 23:12:26 | More by puboflyons
macesq

06-26-2014 04:10:15 | More by macesq
DKter

Georgia

1.58/5  rDev -41%

Of the 14 gluten-free beers I've tried, this was the worst. It at least had a hoppy profile, but the bitterness just tasted... wrong. It smelled a little funky, making me wonder if I just had a bad bottle. I've had other St. Peter's I've enjoyed and other sorgham-based beers I've enjoyed, but this one didn't cut it.

03-07-2012 14:35:05 | More by DKter
JTahoe

Oregon

3.65/5  rDev +36.2%

A - Pale gold with peachy highlights. Almost non-existent white head that dissipates very quickly leaving no lace.

S - I smelled a bit of skunkiness when I popped the cap, but it vanished once I smelled the poured brew. Very neutral with something in the background... it took a while, but I figured out that I was getting a whiff of roasted coffee.

T - Interesting, like nothing I have ever had, yet so much familiar flavor. It's almost as if someone poured a pilsner and a traditional English bitter together, and then stirred in a bit of ESB for added flavor. Flavors of alfalfa, very mild fruit and soft citrus, Just a fleeting hint of that roasted coffee smokiness from the nose turns up adding an earthy depth. Quite clean overall.

M - Light, crisp and a bit dry with very low carbonation.

D - An interesting beer, and pretty drinkable. This is my first sorgham beer, so I don't have much to compare it to, but considering the lack of grain and malts, this was pretty surprising. Interesting and worth trying, especially for those interested in historic beer styles.

03-18-2010 05:28:13 | More by JTahoe
Amalak

2.3/5  rDev -14.2%

A. It's clear gold with some bubbles, a foamy head and mild lacing.

S. Kind of smells like weed.

T. True to the smell, there's a weed taste there, too. But it's bland overall and then turns sour. Has a slight watermelon test.

M Just a weird, stale aftertaste.

O. Not very good, but not horrible.

02-24-2012 23:04:04 | More by Amalak
metter98

2.63/5  rDev -1.9%

A: The beer is crystal clear dark yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high bright white head that quickly died down and left a wide collar consisting of large bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of sorghum are present in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste is dominated by sorghum flavors but these seem to be muted a bit by the hops, which contribute a slight amount of bitterness and faint hints of citrus. The sorghum flavors linger through the finish and aftertaste and seem to be a little rancid.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and a little clean and crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has lots of aromas and flavors of sorghum, so if you are accustomed to gluten-free beers, this might not be a bad selection. It seemed to have a nicer mouthfeel compared to some of the other gluten-free beers that I've tried.

04-01-2014 03:00:41 | More by metter98
BuzzCP

2.25/5  rDev -16%

06-22-2014 06:23:15 | More by BuzzCP
megahurts4

Louisiana

2.38/5  rDev -11.2%

St Peters Sorgham Beer

Appearance: champagne dark yellow, small head, and some good lacing.

Smell: sorgham and fruit.

Taste: sorghum flavored cough medicine.

Mouthfeel: light and smooth.

Overall:
This looked and smelled nice, but the flavor is not that great. It really just tastes like cheap cough medicine.

06-05-2012 05:05:30 | More by megahurts4
drinksandeats

3.18/5  rDev +18.7%

The latest purchase from the beer and wine store included a bottle of St. Peter's Sorgham Beer. To drive the point home, beneath the name on the label were the words "beer made from sorghum." Years back I did try Redbridge, Anheuser-Busch's attempt at a sorghum beer, and walked away unimpressed. I hoped for better result with St. Peter's.

This beer poured a warm yellow-orange, with very little foam, similar in appearance to a flat ginger ale. The aroma alluded to a hint of apple sweetness.

This beer was not just crisp, but actually dry. Slight fruit and floral tastes accented the cleanliness of the lager. However, the lack of carbonation made for a flat drinking experience -- the accent tastes didn't have a great opportunity to shine.

Overall, this was much better than Redbridge, but still did not live up to its potential. I believe a little more fizziness is key for this beer to show off the strong flavor profile hinted by its aroma.

10-22-2009 16:37:58 | More by drinksandeats
DavoleBomb

1.79/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured into a pils glass.

3.25 A: This is carbonated like mad. First pour gave me over two hands of head. Several pours later I discovered a clear medium yellow color. Three plus fingers of foamy white head. Retention lasts seemingly forever as bubbly reinforcement from below keep it maintained. Lots of lacing.

1.75 S: Smells of perfumy doughy sweetness with notes of ginger ale. Strange and I don't really care for it.

1.5 T: Sweet doughiness. No much in terms of hops. Perfumy ginger ale. Not much else to say - doughy overly sweetened ginger ale.

3.5 M: Medium body. I swirled this enough to get the carbonation down to an acceptable level. Moderately creamy. Not bad here.

1.25 D: All I need to say is that I wouldn't drink beer if I had to drink sorghum beer. Stuff is horrible.

06-02-2013 22:59:46 | More by DavoleBomb
zavenx

3.53/5  rDev +31.7%

Just sipped some of this pilsner style wheat free, gluten free beer. This was pretty interesting and wish it wasn't so expensive because the was really refreshing and quenching. I am usually not a pilsner guy but I found this pilsner-style to be to my liking. Citrus elements are strong which i think adds to the freshness and soothing mouthfeel. There was virtually no head or lacing present. I think i would enjoy this very much in quantity on a hot summer day.

11-23-2010 04:39:00 | More by zavenx
Zorro

1.43/5  rDev -46.6%

Deep green colored bottle labeled "Sorgham Beer" might be an alias for St. Peter's G-Free, no ABV on the bottle.

Clear yellow beer with next to no head, looks like Bud Light in the glass.

Smells of unidentified grain that would be the sorghum. Amarillo hops scents of aspirin, cooked cabbage, and frankly cat piss. Can't describe the weird odor in this one any other way, cat pee on carpet, that is what that smells like.

Starts out bitter and watery with an aspirin and strong tea flavor. Dry and woody, not a single stray molecule of malt or any other carbohydrate is left. Thin biting taste, not good.

Mouthfeel is water.

Tried to think of ten ways to say this frankly sucks without using those words but I can't. This one is downright vile and a genuine drain pour. Brand new at the local shop and quite frankly far worse than a skunked corona without a lime. Nasty enough to fear it damaged this beer glass; I'm not exaggerating how nasty this is.

06-28-2009 01:34:40 | More by Zorro
JustinQ

11-24-2011 16:31:16 | More by JustinQ
Dave_Treat

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

10-09-2012 00:40:18 | More by Dave_Treat
woodychandler

3.08/5  rDev +14.9%

I had purchased this a while back, thinking that perhaps an article on gluten-free beers might be in the offing. When I could not find a taker, the beers got shunted to the side. I had a colleague who has issues with gluten and she was always curious about beers that were gluten-free. I usually eschew them since I am not gluten-intolerant and prefer to leave them for people who are. In the interim, I am purging my massive backlog of bottles this summer and lo and behold! this one popped up. They will now be part of The Great Bottle Purge of the Summer of 2014.

From the bottle: "Beer made from Sorghum (contains no wheat or barley)"; "Sorgham Beer (TM) [-] A clean, crisp beer with a pilsner style lager finish and aromas of citrus and mandarin from American Amarillo hops. Made from Sorghum, not wheat or barley. Brewed with skill and patience on one of Britain's finest malt breweries."; "Historical Notes [-] St. Peter's Brewery is located in a medieval hall in a remote and beautiful corner of Suffolk. There our beers begin their lives deep below the brewery with water drawn from a pure source - as it has been for over 700 years, essential for the full flavour and pure character of all St. Peter's beers."; "Our beautiful flask-shaped oval bottle is a faithful copy of one produced c. 1770 for Thomas Gerrard of Gibbstown, just across the Delaware River from Philadelphia. The original is now kept at St. Peter's Hall and is a rare example of an oval Eighteenth Century beer bottle."; [depicted -] St. Peter's Hall, circa 1280 AD".

Having learned that these gluten-free beers have no lees, I proceeded with an aggro pour, creating two bubbly, fizzy fingers of bone-white head with decent retention. Nose had a soft apple vinegar scent, not as sharp as with most of the others that I have tried. Color was a yellowish-gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. The taste had a salty, grassy quality. like a cross between a Gose and Samuel Smith's Organic Lager, possibly due to the water they are using. This was oddly pleasant, which I realize is another instance of my damning with faint praise. I have come to realize that I am not a fan of these gluten-free beers, but neither am I really their intended audience. Finish was semi-dry with a light sweetness beginning to emerge. I did not really perceive citrus or mandarin, but at least it was palatable.

07-30-2014 00:08:49 | More by woodychandler