St. Peter's Sorgham Beer - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

to view more.
Ratings: 78 | Reviews: 49
Reviews by bobhits:
1.83/5  rDev -32.2%

Pours a rather non existent head that slowly builds into a bit of a white top. Rather unimpressive color, a bit of slow moving bubbles and it leaves a touch of lace on the glass.

My first though on this was SKUNK, but I think I just didn't know what it was and had that smell in mind based on the green bottle. There are some skunk like elements here, but I'm getting some white grape like notes and a good bit of really really low carb nasty bread like notes from the yeast.

The body has a rice cake like...the awful food the fat women eat thinking they'll get skinny stuff. I'm at a loss for words to describe this, it isn't so terrible in a beer, but the flavor doesn't conger up positive feelings. A good bit of hops but something is off. I'm not sure if it is a result of the hop variety or what. Very earthy and off putting.

Given the lack of whte and barley the body is pretty decent. Well carbonated on the mouth and certainly no alcohol comes through here.

I'm join the masses in complete thumbs down on this one. That said I've had worse and less flavorful beers.

2.34/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from a 500mL botle into a pilsner glass.

This is not an ESB. There is a large family of African home-brewed sorghum beer (once popular in Benin, Togo, Burkina Faso, Mali, The Sudan, Nigeria, Cameroon, and Egypt), but since I've never had that, I can't evaluate this beer in terms of that "style" either. I think the best thing to do is call this a specialty ale...

In any case,

Liquid is a pale amber with perfect clarity. Thin fizzy head dissipates almost immediately.

Aroma is singular. Sugar, alfalfa, feedlot, diesel, some fruit. Very unusual.

Good balance between sorghum and hops, the latter offering a slight peppery flavor and a welcome bitterness. Rather sweet if thought of as a lager and not at all pissy. Slight maltiness in the finish.

Light-bodied with moderate carbonation. Slick yet watery all at once.

St. Peter's makes a point of saying that this brew contains no wheat or barley...all I can say is that I now have a MUCH greater appreciation of wheat and barley!

I'm sure this is an acquired taste, but not one I expect to acquire...maybe worth trying for fans of Maotai.

2.85/5  rDev +5.6%

This baby looks a lot like carbonated apple juice, rolling over with fruity aromas, pear, apple, and white grape, as well tempting with a lingering hop note. There are two parts to the bitterness here. One comes at the front and is a traditional kind of bitter, then after about four seconds later an aftertaste bitter hits like cardboard glue. A lot of common pilsner flavor in here. Almost like a dry hopped Heineken. Interesting, yet not really my thing. Light medium body, helps the fruity tang come out in the bitter and a mild carbonation is enjoyable as well.

2.59/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

St. Peter's sorgham beer is a headless, laceless pale orange-brown. It has a mild hops smell. The taste is overwhelmingly bitter, but with little depth beyond that. It gives the impression of being highly alcoholic despite being having a low ABV.

I won't be trying it again.

2.35/5  rDev -13%

I know there's a market for these beers, and knowing someone with a gluten intolerance makes me aware of how miserable finding the right foods can be, but I figured I'd give this a try and see if it can be imbibed by those without celiac. It is not good. Very little head retention. Looks like one of my own bad home brews. Sweet apple candy smell. Very dry, with some of that same sweetness showing through. Not a lot of flavor. Carbonation is minimal. If you feel the need, try it like I did and move on. It'll be my first, and last, sorghum beer.

2.43/5  rDev -10%

From the 25 fl. oz. bottle #1021-0. Sampled on Nov. 2, 2010. The pour is slightly hazy with a frosty, fizzy head that diminishes to a ring around the glass. There is a little bit of clinging lacing. The aroma is slightly skunked from the dark green bottle with malts, corn, and a bit of hops. The body is on the thin side as is the flavor. What flavor there is comes in tart and sour like a melon. It is lightly hopped at the finish. Nothing extraordnary here.

3.12/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours light orange-yellow. Very clear. The head is more or less non-existant. Fairly good lacing. The smell is weak. Maybe some spicy grain and a bit of citus/pine hops if you smell real hard-like. This taste is... unique. There's thin caramel sweetness at first with some citrus. There's a spiciness that tingles around the edge of the tongue and a taste similar to weak rye underlying it all. I guess that's the sorgham? It fades to a stale bitterness that gets kind of foul as the glass gets emptier. It's interesting, but I definitely don't think I'd call it good.

1.59/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Of the 14 gluten-free beers I've tried, this was the worst. It at least had a hoppy profile, but the bitterness just tasted... wrong. It smelled a little funky, making me wonder if I just had a bad bottle. I've had other St. Peter's I've enjoyed and other sorgham-based beers I've enjoyed, but this one didn't cut it.

3.6/5  rDev +33.3%

A - Pale gold with peachy highlights. Almost non-existent white head that dissipates very quickly leaving no lace.

S - I smelled a bit of skunkiness when I popped the cap, but it vanished once I smelled the poured brew. Very neutral with something in the background... it took a while, but I figured out that I was getting a whiff of roasted coffee.

T - Interesting, like nothing I have ever had, yet so much familiar flavor. It's almost as if someone poured a pilsner and a traditional English bitter together, and then stirred in a bit of ESB for added flavor. Flavors of alfalfa, very mild fruit and soft citrus, Just a fleeting hint of that roasted coffee smokiness from the nose turns up adding an earthy depth. Quite clean overall.

M - Light, crisp and a bit dry with very low carbonation.

D - An interesting beer, and pretty drinkable. This is my first sorgham beer, so I don't have much to compare it to, but considering the lack of grain and malts, this was pretty surprising. Interesting and worth trying, especially for those interested in historic beer styles.

2.36/5  rDev -12.6%

A. It's clear gold with some bubbles, a foamy head and mild lacing.

S. Kind of smells like weed.

T. True to the smell, there's a weed taste there, too. But it's bland overall and then turns sour. Has a slight watermelon test.

M Just a weird, stale aftertaste.

O. Not very good, but not horrible.

2.63/5  rDev -2.6%

A: The beer is crystal clear dark yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high bright white head that quickly died down and left a wide collar consisting of large bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of sorghum are present in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste is dominated by sorghum flavors but these seem to be muted a bit by the hops, which contribute a slight amount of bitterness and faint hints of citrus. The sorghum flavors linger through the finish and aftertaste and seem to be a little rancid.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and a little clean and crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has lots of aromas and flavors of sorghum, so if you are accustomed to gluten-free beers, this might not be a bad selection. It seemed to have a nicer mouthfeel compared to some of the other gluten-free beers that I've tried.

2.5/5  rDev -7.4%

St Peters Sorgham Beer

Appearance: champagne dark yellow, small head, and some good lacing.

Smell: sorgham and fruit.

Taste: sorghum flavored cough medicine.

Mouthfeel: light and smooth.

Overall:
This looked and smelled nice, but the flavor is not that great. It really just tastes like cheap cough medicine.

3.15/5  rDev +16.7%

The latest purchase from the beer and wine store included a bottle of St. Peter's Sorgham Beer. To drive the point home, beneath the name on the label were the words "beer made from sorghum." Years back I did try Redbridge, Anheuser-Busch's attempt at a sorghum beer, and walked away unimpressed. I hoped for better result with St. Peter's.

This beer poured a warm yellow-orange, with very little foam, similar in appearance to a flat ginger ale. The aroma alluded to a hint of apple sweetness.

This beer was not just crisp, but actually dry. Slight fruit and floral tastes accented the cleanliness of the lager. However, the lack of carbonation made for a flat drinking experience -- the accent tastes didn't have a great opportunity to shine.

Overall, this was much better than Redbridge, but still did not live up to its potential. I believe a little more fizziness is key for this beer to show off the strong flavor profile hinted by its aroma.

1.82/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

Poured into a pils glass.

3.25 A: This is carbonated like mad. First pour gave me over two hands of head. Several pours later I discovered a clear medium yellow color. Three plus fingers of foamy white head. Retention lasts seemingly forever as bubbly reinforcement from below keep it maintained. Lots of lacing.

1.75 S: Smells of perfumy doughy sweetness with notes of ginger ale. Strange and I don't really care for it.

1.5 T: Sweet doughiness. No much in terms of hops. Perfumy ginger ale. Not much else to say - doughy overly sweetened ginger ale.

3.5 M: Medium body. I swirled this enough to get the carbonation down to an acceptable level. Moderately creamy. Not bad here.

1.25 D: All I need to say is that I wouldn't drink beer if I had to drink sorghum beer. Stuff is horrible.

3.53/5  rDev +30.7%

Just sipped some of this pilsner style wheat free, gluten free beer. This was pretty interesting and wish it wasn't so expensive because the was really refreshing and quenching. I am usually not a pilsner guy but I found this pilsner-style to be to my liking. Citrus elements are strong which i think adds to the freshness and soothing mouthfeel. There was virtually no head or lacing present. I think i would enjoy this very much in quantity on a hot summer day.

1.42/5  rDev -47.4%

Deep green colored bottle labeled "Sorgham Beer" might be an alias for St. Peter's G-Free, no ABV on the bottle.

Clear yellow beer with next to no head, looks like Bud Light in the glass.

Smells of unidentified grain that would be the sorghum. Amarillo hops scents of aspirin, cooked cabbage, and frankly cat piss. Can't describe the weird odor in this one any other way, cat pee on carpet, that is what that smells like.

Starts out bitter and watery with an aspirin and strong tea flavor. Dry and woody, not a single stray molecule of malt or any other carbohydrate is left. Thin biting taste, not good.

Mouthfeel is water.

Tried to think of ten ways to say this frankly sucks without using those words but I can't. This one is downright vile and a genuine drain pour. Brand new at the local shop and quite frankly far worse than a skunked corona without a lime. Nasty enough to fear it damaged this beer glass; I'm not exaggerating how nasty this is.

3.1/5  rDev +14.8%

I had purchased this a while back, thinking that perhaps an article on gluten-free beers might be in the offing. When I could not find a taker, the beers got shunted to the side. I had a colleague who has issues with gluten and she was always curious about beers that were gluten-free. I usually eschew them since I am not gluten-intolerant and prefer to leave them for people who are. In the interim, I am purging my massive backlog of bottles this summer and lo and behold! this one popped up. They will now be part of The Great Bottle Purge of the Summer of 2014.

From the bottle: "Beer made from Sorghum (contains no wheat or barley)"; "Sorgham Beer (TM) [-] A clean, crisp beer with a pilsner style lager finish and aromas of citrus and mandarin from American Amarillo hops. Made from Sorghum, not wheat or barley. Brewed with skill and patience on one of Britain's finest malt breweries."; "Historical Notes [-] St. Peter's Brewery is located in a medieval hall in a remote and beautiful corner of Suffolk. There our beers begin their lives deep below the brewery with water drawn from a pure source - as it has been for over 700 years, essential for the full flavour and pure character of all St. Peter's beers."; "Our beautiful flask-shaped oval bottle is a faithful copy of one produced c. 1770 for Thomas Gerrard of Gibbstown, just across the Delaware River from Philadelphia. The original is now kept at St. Peter's Hall and is a rare example of an oval Eighteenth Century beer bottle."; [depicted -] St. Peter's Hall, circa 1280 AD".

Having learned that these gluten-free beers have no lees, I proceeded with an aggro pour, creating two bubbly, fizzy fingers of bone-white head with decent retention. Nose had a soft apple vinegar scent, not as sharp as with most of the others that I have tried. Color was a yellowish-gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. The taste had a salty, grassy quality. like a cross between a Gose and Samuel Smith's Organic Lager, possibly due to the water they are using. This was oddly pleasant, which I realize is another instance of my damning with faint praise. I have come to realize that I am not a fan of these gluten-free beers, but neither am I really their intended audience. Finish was semi-dry with a light sweetness beginning to emerge. I did not really perceive citrus or mandarin, but at least it was palatable.

2.61/5  rDev -3.3%

Pour is very light golden, small head that dissipates quickly. Smell of hops with a bit of skunkiness. The taste is fairly strongly of hops with a bit of malt and a slight floral flavor--the taste is right in line with the smell. Not very bitter despite strong hops, pretty classic pilsner flavor. Light bodied mouthfeel.

3.31/5  rDev +22.6%

Pours a one-finger white head that fades quickly to a ring leaving some lace. Crystal clear light amber color. Grainy nose. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor is sweet grains with balancing hops. Decent sorghum beer. $5.70 for a 500ml green, oval bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

1.03/5  rDev -61.9%

I know that the directions for reviewing is to not slam a beer but I have no choice here. I bought it from the most reputable beer store that I know in Southern California - Hi Times in OC. I've never had a gagger like this.

Heiniken (or however you spell that) tastes like Pliny the Elder next to this stuff. I literally would rather have a diet sprite (although I never have had one in my life).

Skunky, watery, chemically, dms, skunky and oh did I mention skunky?

I love the bottle, I wish St. Peters would keep all it's brews in those apothecary style ovals, but other than that, even if you are gluten intolerant, drink water.

2.09/5  rDev -22.6%

It is common knowledge that most grain-free beers don't carry the same quality of maltiness or flavor that makes grain-rich beers so popular. But when a world-class brewery decides to create one, we have to take heed. Right?

A crystal clear pour brings a medium golden color. Mild carbonation is short lived. With no protien to retain the carbonation, the head formation, retention, and lace are all very short lived. Intermitten pockets of light white foam hold on for half a session.

Surprising aromas of apple cider, white grapes, and mild vinegar hit the nose first. Its not until much later that the residual sorghum sweeter notes arise and take on any resemblance to malt. Light maple and caramel are hard to find through all the fermentation yeasty character.

Weak flavors of sorghum give a grainy/grain husk flavor along with the raw sorghum taste. Cider/vinegar/grapy flavors seem to be more zinfindale like than beer. Throw in a raw tobacco taste and we have a unique set of flavors working for us. A beer that is supposed to take on a Pilsner profile is struggling to do so.

The body is equally as weak as the taste. No real body or creaminess exists, which further reinforces the notion to white and fruity wines. Thin and watery throughout with that uncharacteristic grainy astringency.

Even compared to other gluten-free beers this one fares quite weak. Anyone looking for a Pilsner taste won't find it here.

2.3/5  rDev -14.8%

Had another St Peters offering I thought was pretty tasty, so decided to pick this up. Pours very clear, the color of white grape juice with a large bubbled-head. Smells sour, a little grassy and peachy with fruity hops. There's not a good style to compare this to, but it smells ok to me.

Tastes... ok, tastes different. Fairly bitter, hints of wintergreen, lychee, peach, more bitter at the end with a watery aftertaste. This beer is not delicious, nor is it refreshing. Based on that, I do not find it overly drinkable. Mouthfeel is watery and body is low. The bitterness doesn't evoke hops, but compounded it numbs.

All in all, a very unique offering. Maybe it tastes better with a side of popped sorghum to properly appreciate.

3.1/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a light golden with a finger of frothy head. Head retention is weak, lacing is almost nonexistant.

Smells of fresh water and dry hops.

Taste is slightly sweet, predominantly hoppy, bit of light malt and fresh water finish. Mildly bitter.

Mouthfeel is clean and refreshing. Light bodied with good carbonation.

Drinkability is average. This is a good beer but its not unique. Average almost all around makes it good to sample, but I'd choose something else next time.

3.25/5  rDev +20.4%

As having a spouse that is gluten intolerant, any new gluten free beer is a worthy buy especially when its made by such a solid brewery like St. Peter's. Poured a old style green 500ml green bottle into my Hennepin globe glass. This beer pours a peachy straw with a decent 2 inch head that quickly dissipates into just a thin line around the inside of the glass. The aroma is starts off pretty sulfuric from the green bottle funk. Underlying that come the grainy sweetness that comes with all sorghum based beers. While no wheat or barley were actually used, I'm always surprised that sorghum based beers have a distinct graininess to them. Also on the nose is some citrus based hops, lending to juicy oranges and a bit of lemon zest. The flavor is remarkably similar with Sorghum sweetness leading the way. It really is a distinctive sweetness. Citrusy hops come next and just a little bit of grass. The mouthfeel is light and nicely carbonated finishing with just a subtle dryness. Overall, this is a rather good gluten free beer. In terms of beer, its just average.

2.62/5  rDev -3%

green 500ml bottle

Pours a very pale straw yellow color, very clear. A grassy, vinous sourness in the nose, if id smelled this blind i would suspect either a hoppy saison or an infection of sorts. An aroma of peanut butter and white chocolate lay beneath the sourness, an interesting nose to say the least, not necessarily 100% appetizing however. Little to no carbonation and quite watery in body, very bland and chalky in flavor. With that said this is probably the best gluten free ive come across, not saying much about my taste for the style however.

to view more.