St. Peter's The Saints Whisky Beer - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

St. Peter's The Saints Whisky BeerSt. Peter's The Saints Whisky Beer

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Strong Ale |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: thepeter on 11-02-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.55/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

500ml Bottle from the Ottawa LCBO for 5$

Appearance - Gold/amber colour with with a an average size fizzy white head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for 3-4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Smoke, peat, wood, malts

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, peat, and some smoke/burnt notes. There is also some herbal notes. It ends with a malty and smokey finish.

Overall - Not my kind of beer.. If you're in the market for something odd/interesting tasting, then give this one a try.

spinrsx, Sep 21, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -9.5%

Very nice, deep golden amber colour with a large, frothy white head that hangs around as a thick collar and leaves some heavy lace.

Saying that this beer has a smoky aroma is putting it mildly. Spent peat, ash, and burnt wood assault the nose. There is a very mild honey-like sweetness and a subtle floral note, but these are all but lost in the smoke.

Smoky qualities dominate the taste as well. There is a solid malt backbone and a nice fruitiness to be found as well. Notes of grains, earth and mineral water in the finish.

Rather heavy feeling for a relatively thin-bodied ale. Minimal carbonation. Mostly dry throughout with a mild syrupy feeling. Smoke, earth and grasses in the aftertaste.

The taste grew on me, but I just think this one smells awful and can’t enjoy it. Was expecting a sweet Scotch Ale type of beer, but this is made for fans of smoke or chipotle beers.

bryehn, Sep 17, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +34.9%

MEP, Sep 12, 2012
2.6/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into an Abbot Ale glass tankard while waiting for the bar-b-que to get going on Easter Sunday 2012.

Clear and light amber in colour: good white head on top. The 500ml bottle (best before 08 Dec 2012) looks great and the beer looked fine too, it's the taste and smell that I didn't take too.

The nose is all peat smoke and wood fires, as is the taste: I'd never have guessed this was a whisky beer if I hadn't poured it myself. Ashtray smokey and much too much for my palate: I had trouble finishing the bottle, my wife took a sniff and refused to help, it nearly went on the Bratwursts as a marinade but she didn't like the sound of that either. I'm sure some people will rave about it, but it isn't for me.

BlackHaddock, Apr 09, 2012
3.6/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Ruds for this one.

Poured from a 500ml. bottle, best before 01 Aug 12.

Appearance: A nice honey colored body that has trouble pulling more than 1 fat finger of foam. Low lacing and some retention.

Smell: Very peaty, mildly ashy with a smoky meat aroma.

Taste: Peat, wood smoked meat, smokiness and hints of whiskey sans the alcohol. Caramel malt with a mineral bitterness finishes it off.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a creamy feel and the latter part of the feel is a bit thin.

Overall: Interesting, good but not great. Still worth a try for sure.

papat444, Mar 12, 2012
3.48/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from the bottle to an English handled pint glass.

A clear golden/yellow colour with a large white fluffy head that maintained its presence well throughout drinking.

The aroma is all about peated whisky (from St Georges an English distillery), smoke, tar and wood also coming off the glass.

Again, as you'd expect from this beer a real peated whisky flavour, think Laphroig in a beer bottle! Lots of smoke therefore, wood, malt, a little herbs and spice in the background. Bitter-dry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was a bit of a let down for me, medium bodied but way too much carbonation in this beer!

Overall an interesting beer. I'm a big fan of peated whisky so this flavour worked for me! Would I try again? I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but I would happily raise a glass if someone gave me a bottle, quite a unique beer and I do reccomend trying it for a couple of quid from Waitrose!

Ruds, Feb 05, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Beer bottle (50 cl.) purchased from Bières & Chopes and tasted in 2011.

Appearance : pale amber color, with white foam head (not persistent).
Smell : peaty and smoky aromas.
Taste and mouthfeel : watery, caramel malts and toasted notes very strange.
Drinkability : an average beer in the style Scotch Ale.

thierrynantes, Jan 05, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

supermeniscus, Nov 27, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Not sure I'd call this a strong ale - maybe a smoked beer. Golden amber colour with a thin head.

Big peaty, whisky scent with a nice smokey over tone. Really can't pick much else up in the scent. Maybe a bit of shoe polish.

Smoky, peaty taste - almost like an Islay. Fruits, smoke, leather and even tobacco in it. Light hops that come through as apples and raisins in the taste.

A bit high on the carbonation, and a bit one-sided in the taste - too much emphasis on the smoky, peaty part of it and not enough development elsewhere. A good beer - I might by it again, but I've had subtler, smoother whisky beers.

BDTyre, Nov 19, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +23.8%

Recently purchased at the Waitrose supermarket, BB 14/09/2012, served cool in a straight imperial pint glass. Notes: the beer label describes this beer using a measure of English whisky from St. George's Distillery, thus imparted with ‘smokey’ overtones from peated malts.

A: pours a dark red golden hue, coming with a relatively thin off-white beer head retreating to a thin rim, on top of quite moderate carbonation.
S: the smell is really interested, like peated malt whisky yet also very savoury smoky (almost like cold-smoked fish!) like the famous rauchbier from Bavaria…! A good swirl reveals a robust pale ale base full of nice English malt aroma with a light touch of hop fruitiness. All in all, the aroma is balanced and the peatiness or smokiness doesn’t overpower any other elements, IMO.
T: the foretaste is immediately salty-sweet and peat-smoky, reminiscent of Scottish islands’ peat-dominated whiskies, with its sea-watery edge, rotten seaweed, muddy and menthol-medicinal hints lingering alongside the pale ale’s maltiness and light fruity hops. The aftertaste is semi-bitter (as from wooden-cask ageing process I reckon, yet also from hops), semi-dry, delicately spicy with more lingering peat-smoky aroma to boot.
M&D: the mouthfeel is generally refreshing while carbonation always at medium level, which I like; all in all this whisky-flavoured beer (I guess whisky was added to the maturation stage, instead of fermentation?) is an easy-drinking, rather well integrated one for any peaty whisky lover, or at least for me. Where the complexity of beer has been neutralised, whisky contributes a naughty dimension to the overall tasting experience.

wl0307, Nov 09, 2011
3.3/5  rDev +4.8%

St. Peter's Brewery works with St George’s Distillery to create this Beer. It Pours a clear brown unexciting with little to no head and just a bit of lacing. The Aroma however is quite exciting, if you like whiskey, which you should if you bought this beer. The nose is ALL whiskey, Peaty malty whiskey. So much that I feel like I can smell the alcohol but as this is only 4.8% I doubt that is what I am smelling. Again, there is no other way to describe this beer other than "Whiskey Flavored" I mean it is like a maltier scotch and soda with a hint of beer. The palate is a bit thin and over carbonated and overall it is not one that I will be buying again, but it is exactly as advertised and I am glad I tried it.

thepeter, Nov 02, 2011