St. Peter's English Ale - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

good

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-26-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Peter's English Ale Alström Bros
2.93/5  rDev -19.3%

Like other folks, the bottle intrigued especially since it (the bottle) had a weird tie-in to Delaware or so the label said...
A very pretty ale though no real carbonation to speak of. When I popped the cap, it didn't even make a sound.
It poured with nohead whatsoever even with an aggressive tipping.
Not a lot going on here smellwise.
Taste is nice. That's about it. This one was a little underwhelming to me. Farily easy to drink as there is little carbonation or overpowering flavors to burn one out. Would one want to make this a sessioner? You could but I think you'd getr bored after the second one.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

52* snifter, bottle

A barely any head, very suddsey. old penny color, like scotch or cognac.

S malt, but lack luster

T not a lot of acid or hop, hint of creaminess, and slightly sweet. taste english, but sub par

M light even for english style

D almost a session beer. Drinkable, but the best part is the package, it come in neat glass. would not buy again.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Very distinctive bottle...sort of dark olive green and reminds me of an old medicine bottle with its rounded flask shape. A sticker on the front about the shape and size of an egg. Very little head formed, even less remained...no lacing. Nice aroma, fairly typical for the style, as is the taste. Think Bass Ale with a bit less malty sweetness and a bit more hop bitterness. I noticed that this increased slightly as it warmed. It is a solid beer and I'll gladly try others from this brewery if I can find them, as well as have this one again at the next opportunity.

3.45/5  rDev -5%

A: Pours a clear, pale gold color with a fizzy, one-finger white head. The head quickly recedes to a small ring around the glass, which does not lace very well.

S: Very grassy, skunky hops, with some sweet malt notes in the background. I am not impressed by the aroma of this brew at all, especially that of the hops - does it have anything to do with the fact that they're organic?

T: Sweet caramel malt, mild citrus, and some earthy, slightly spicy hop flavor.

M & D: A light/medium-bodied brew that is very smooth and drinkable. It could definately make a fine session beer. However, the lifeless appearance and disagreeable aroma of this brew pull the score down a bit. I'll have a St. Peter's Golden instead.

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a cloudy hazy gold with a small white head and modest lacing.

The nose is simple but well integrated. Non-descript, slightly sweet malts, butterscotch, and spicy citrus hops.

Caramel sweetness and raw graininess are the immediate flavors. There is a slight sourness mid palate that quickly gives way to earthy hop bitterness and a hint of lemon. The bitterness lingers and the dreaded skunk sets in. As it warms the skunkiness becomes more prominent and lingers longer.

Medium-light bodied with quite a bit of carbonation.

Smooth and refreshing, modestly complex but well meshed. This would be an extremely enjoyable beer if not for the skunkiness. What's with the green bottles? The first time I tried this I knew the bottle was old so I didn't rate it, but I've been told that this is a fresh bottle and the skunk is still there.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

2.95/5  rDev -18.7%

Appearance: The bottle was nice, but the pour had no head and seamed a little flat. it was a nice gold orange color

Smell: had a hoppy aroma
Taste: Nothing there, a pretty boring beer
Mouthfeel: wasnt all bad had a full ritch mouthfeel
Drinkability: if i wanted to i could drink quite a few of these, but i would not want to.

2.6/5  rDev -28.4%

very interesting flask-shaped bottle. in the glass it is a murky copper. the small head disappears quickly. all citrusy hops in the nose, this a very good smelling beer. the taste has the same hop character, but the citrus turns downright lemony covering any hope of malt body. definite bubble-gum. this detracts from the mouthfeel and the drinkability for me, big time.

3.38/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Has the look of a cider with a decent lace.

S: Biscuity with light floral and fruit scents.

T: Multi flavored up front with a good balance of hops towards middle and end.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation and a semi dry finish.

O: Nothing really stands out, but it's a very balanced English Pale Ale.

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

I loved this beer. Spicy hop taste with sweet smell of butterscotch.
Hazy appearance with a small amount of head. I was afraid this would be a gimmick beer based on the unusual bottle. Happily it was a great example of english style ale, although true hopheads will be disappointed. I agree with those who say don't chill it too much, there are a lot of great subtle flavors, both sweet and slightly bitter. I'll definitely be getting this again and I'm looking forward to trying the other
St. Peter's ales.

2.1/5  rDev -42.1%

My dad's name is Peter, and he's away in England for a month, so I was very excited to find this beer and give it a try.

That pretty much ended when I opened the bottle. It was an "on sale" style at Beers of the World, which people have told me is another way of saying "it's old". Came in a green bottle - don't know if there's any truth to what they say about those or not.

Regardless - it smelled a little off when I opened it. It's hard to describe, but it just didn't smell right. Pouring it out, the thin head was topped with what looked like large clear bubbles, like you get when washing a glass. I thought it could be the glass, but the remainder of the beer in the bottle took on the same appearance.

Giving it another sniff once it was out of the bottle, it still didn't seem right. Aside from the bubbles, it looked okay - a nice, somewhat hazy orange/amber color. The first couple of sips were sweet, with very little hop presence. But suddenly, after a couple of ounces, I felt like I was getting the bitterness hammer with every sip.

Now, I'm willing to give this another shot some time - maybe this was just a bad bottle, be it from age or otherwise. After all, I was very pleased with their stout when I tried it, so I know they can make some tasty brews. But this...just a letdown. Maybe next time!

3.33/5  rDev -8.3%

Appearance: Golden bordering on amber, low carbonation, thin head which dissipates quickly, leaving the faintest wisps of lace.

Smell: Biscuity nose, alternating with just a hint of caramel on closer inspection.

Flavour: Earthy with a general bitterness. Just the slightest tones of harsh citrus fruit (i.e. lemons) overshadowed by grassy and, to a lesser extent, piney tones.

Mouthfeel: Cask-like in nature; low carbonation. Taste (especially bitterness) lingers long after and especially stimulates the left and right extremities of the tongue (purportedly where the tongue experiences sour tastes) which could be considered consistent with the hidden citrusy tastes. Thicker than expected, and coats the mouth. It is kind of harsh, but perhaps I am a pseudo-masochist, because it I enjoy it in spite of the attack on the regular sensibilities of the palate.

Drinkability: definitely not a session beer, but great to sip and enjoy. I believe that (at least here in Ontario) that what is labeled as St. Peter's English Ale is indeed the same as the Organic Ale that I believe they serve in the UK. Not my favourite St. Peter's offering, but still a pleasant brew, as was expected given their range of other fantastic brews.

3.45/5  rDev -5%

At first sniff this smells pretty skunky but virtually disappears (a little is left behind) when you pour it. it gives way to a more sweet barley aroma.

I had a hell of a time getting any head from this, there was very little and there was also not much lacing. It is somewhat cloudy but not as cloudy as an unfiltered. It is kind of a cloudy gold.

A decent flavor, smooth and light to medium body. Good example of english style ales. It is something i could easily drink a few of at a time and not get sick of.

2.88/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bought a half case of 16.9oz bottles. I was impressed when I opened the case to find the medicine type bottles, quite unique. It pured an off-golden color to brown to a quickly dissipating head. It smelled a bit...off is all I can think of. Not too sweet, not too hoppy, just not so fresh of a smell. The taste was really not more than an average brew, nothing to knock your socks off with. It had a creamy mouthfeel, but still the taste and the off smell didn't relinquish to a satisfying experience. I don't think you could have more than just a few of these. Besides the price, $39.00 for 12 bottles, you can really find a better English brew. I will savor the remaining case to maybe impress my friends with the looks, but I will continue my search for the perfect beer.

2.78/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours with the smallest amount of head possible for it to still be called a head. The aroma is mostly skunk with some maltiness and a bit of hop spice. The flavor is the same with a hint of metal, possibly from the cap. The carbonation is on the mild side. This really seems like it would be a good beer if not skunked. However, with a green bottle I don't forsee ever finding an unskunked bottle around here.

4.68/5  rDev +28.9%

Poured from the usual medicine bottle:

A: Dark gold, like a dark honey. The head poured out nicely, but didn't last, possible the fault of my soapy glass. As others have noted, this is a somewhat cloudy beer. Its not chill haze, my bottle was room temperature when poured.

S: Very floral hops. A little bit of lightly toasted bread. There was also a sweetness, a lot like good clover honey. Undertones of warm earth.

T: A fantastic, well balanced English bitter. It begins with caramel and more clover honey sweetness, with some slightly bitter hops. It washes back to a bitter coffee finish.

M: This beer really coated my mouth, quite a lot, it reminded me of one time when I drank a bit of olive oil. All in all, very substantial and pleasant.

D: I'd drink as many as I could if they weren't so expensive!

Summary: A fantastic English bitter