St. Peter's English Ale - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

good

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-26-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Peter's English Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »
cleverbeername

Nevada

2.85/5  rDev -21.7%

52* snifter, bottle

A barely any head, very suddsey. old penny color, like scotch or cognac.

S malt, but lack luster

T not a lot of acid or hop, hint of creaminess, and slightly sweet. taste english, but sub par

M light even for english style

D almost a session beer. Drinkable, but the best part is the package, it come in neat glass. would not buy again.

02-16-2010 23:56:12 | More by cleverbeername
tomdavistoronto

03-24-2013 18:54:41 | More by tomdavistoronto
au1sec

Alabama

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Very distinctive bottle...sort of dark olive green and reminds me of an old medicine bottle with its rounded flask shape. A sticker on the front about the shape and size of an egg. Very little head formed, even less remained...no lacing. Nice aroma, fairly typical for the style, as is the taste. Think Bass Ale with a bit less malty sweetness and a bit more hop bitterness. I noticed that this increased slightly as it warmed. It is a solid beer and I'll gladly try others from this brewery if I can find them, as well as have this one again at the next opportunity.

10-22-2003 00:18:40 | More by au1sec
deciding39

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Pours a clear, pale gold color with a fizzy, one-finger white head. The head quickly recedes to a small ring around the glass, which does not lace very well.

S: Very grassy, skunky hops, with some sweet malt notes in the background. I am not impressed by the aroma of this brew at all, especially that of the hops - does it have anything to do with the fact that they're organic?

T: Sweet caramel malt, mild citrus, and some earthy, slightly spicy hop flavor.

M & D: A light/medium-bodied brew that is very smooth and drinkable. It could definately make a fine session beer. However, the lifeless appearance and disagreeable aroma of this brew pull the score down a bit. I'll have a St. Peter's Golden instead.

01-20-2006 00:56:33 | More by deciding39
Morbo

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours a cloudy hazy gold with a small white head and modest lacing.

The nose is simple but well integrated. Non-descript, slightly sweet malts, butterscotch, and spicy citrus hops.

Caramel sweetness and raw graininess are the immediate flavors. There is a slight sourness mid palate that quickly gives way to earthy hop bitterness and a hint of lemon. The bitterness lingers and the dreaded skunk sets in. As it warms the skunkiness becomes more prominent and lingers longer.

Medium-light bodied with quite a bit of carbonation.

Smooth and refreshing, modestly complex but well meshed. This would be an extremely enjoyable beer if not for the skunkiness. What's with the green bottles? The first time I tried this I knew the bottle was old so I didn't rate it, but I've been told that this is a fresh bottle and the skunk is still there.

12-11-2008 07:03:55 | More by Morbo
Threske

Washington

3.75/5  rDev +3%

11-10-2012 13:56:42 | More by Threske
ellman

2.95/5  rDev -19%

Appearance: The bottle was nice, but the pour had no head and seamed a little flat. it was a nice gold orange color

Smell: had a hoppy aroma
Taste: Nothing there, a pretty boring beer
Mouthfeel: wasnt all bad had a full ritch mouthfeel
Drinkability: if i wanted to i could drink quite a few of these, but i would not want to.

09-10-2003 00:47:30 | More by ellman
jpagewatts

2.6/5  rDev -28.6%

very interesting flask-shaped bottle. in the glass it is a murky copper. the small head disappears quickly. all citrusy hops in the nose, this a very good smelling beer. the taste has the same hop character, but the citrus turns downright lemony covering any hope of malt body. definite bubble-gum. this detracts from the mouthfeel and the drinkability for me, big time.

01-12-2007 16:01:04 | More by jpagewatts
cozmohollis

Delaware

3.38/5  rDev -7.1%

A: Has the look of a cider with a decent lace.

S: Biscuity with light floral and fruit scents.

T: Multi flavored up front with a good balance of hops towards middle and end.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation and a semi dry finish.

O: Nothing really stands out, but it's a very balanced English Pale Ale.

06-07-2013 04:16:01 | More by cozmohollis
DarkForest

04-26-2013 19:59:44 | More by DarkForest
celfan

Vermont

4.22/5  rDev +15.9%

I loved this beer. Spicy hop taste with sweet smell of butterscotch.
Hazy appearance with a small amount of head. I was afraid this would be a gimmick beer based on the unusual bottle. Happily it was a great example of english style ale, although true hopheads will be disappointed. I agree with those who say don't chill it too much, there are a lot of great subtle flavors, both sweet and slightly bitter. I'll definitely be getting this again and I'm looking forward to trying the other
St. Peter's ales.

04-07-2006 21:41:52 | More by celfan
pitweasel

2.1/5  rDev -42.3%

My dad's name is Peter, and he's away in England for a month, so I was very excited to find this beer and give it a try.

That pretty much ended when I opened the bottle. It was an "on sale" style at Beers of the World, which people have told me is another way of saying "it's old". Came in a green bottle - don't know if there's any truth to what they say about those or not.

Regardless - it smelled a little off when I opened it. It's hard to describe, but it just didn't smell right. Pouring it out, the thin head was topped with what looked like large clear bubbles, like you get when washing a glass. I thought it could be the glass, but the remainder of the beer in the bottle took on the same appearance.

Giving it another sniff once it was out of the bottle, it still didn't seem right. Aside from the bubbles, it looked okay - a nice, somewhat hazy orange/amber color. The first couple of sips were sweet, with very little hop presence. But suddenly, after a couple of ounces, I felt like I was getting the bitterness hammer with every sip.

Now, I'm willing to give this another shot some time - maybe this was just a bad bottle, be it from age or otherwise. After all, I was very pleased with their stout when I tried it, so I know they can make some tasty brews. But this...just a letdown. Maybe next time!

03-07-2008 01:48:02 | More by pitweasel
barleywort

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance: Golden bordering on amber, low carbonation, thin head which dissipates quickly, leaving the faintest wisps of lace.

Smell: Biscuity nose, alternating with just a hint of caramel on closer inspection.

Flavour: Earthy with a general bitterness. Just the slightest tones of harsh citrus fruit (i.e. lemons) overshadowed by grassy and, to a lesser extent, piney tones.

Mouthfeel: Cask-like in nature; low carbonation. Taste (especially bitterness) lingers long after and especially stimulates the left and right extremities of the tongue (purportedly where the tongue experiences sour tastes) which could be considered consistent with the hidden citrusy tastes. Thicker than expected, and coats the mouth. It is kind of harsh, but perhaps I am a pseudo-masochist, because it I enjoy it in spite of the attack on the regular sensibilities of the palate.

Drinkability: definitely not a session beer, but great to sip and enjoy. I believe that (at least here in Ontario) that what is labeled as St. Peter's English Ale is indeed the same as the Organic Ale that I believe they serve in the UK. Not my favourite St. Peter's offering, but still a pleasant brew, as was expected given their range of other fantastic brews.

02-08-2009 22:14:17 | More by barleywort
stevemcqueenjr

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%

At first sniff this smells pretty skunky but virtually disappears (a little is left behind) when you pour it. it gives way to a more sweet barley aroma.

I had a hell of a time getting any head from this, there was very little and there was also not much lacing. It is somewhat cloudy but not as cloudy as an unfiltered. It is kind of a cloudy gold.

A decent flavor, smooth and light to medium body. Good example of english style ales. It is something i could easily drink a few of at a time and not get sick of.

10-20-2005 18:05:33 | More by stevemcqueenjr
NDuquette

Maine

03-22-2012 03:53:59 | More by NDuquette
katdaddy210

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%

Bought a half case of 16.9oz bottles. I was impressed when I opened the case to find the medicine type bottles, quite unique. It pured an off-golden color to brown to a quickly dissipating head. It smelled a bit...off is all I can think of. Not too sweet, not too hoppy, just not so fresh of a smell. The taste was really not more than an average brew, nothing to knock your socks off with. It had a creamy mouthfeel, but still the taste and the off smell didn't relinquish to a satisfying experience. I don't think you could have more than just a few of these. Besides the price, $39.00 for 12 bottles, you can really find a better English brew. I will savor the remaining case to maybe impress my friends with the looks, but I will continue my search for the perfect beer.

09-23-2006 22:06:56 | More by katdaddy210
ScottS

2.78/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours with the smallest amount of head possible for it to still be called a head. The aroma is mostly skunk with some maltiness and a bit of hop spice. The flavor is the same with a hint of metal, possibly from the cap. The carbonation is on the mild side. This really seems like it would be a good beer if not skunked. However, with a green bottle I don't forsee ever finding an unskunked bottle around here.

03-26-2005 23:41:42 | More by ScottS
mualphapiper

4.68/5  rDev +28.6%

Poured from the usual medicine bottle:

A: Dark gold, like a dark honey. The head poured out nicely, but didn't last, possible the fault of my soapy glass. As others have noted, this is a somewhat cloudy beer. Its not chill haze, my bottle was room temperature when poured.

S: Very floral hops. A little bit of lightly toasted bread. There was also a sweetness, a lot like good clover honey. Undertones of warm earth.

T: A fantastic, well balanced English bitter. It begins with caramel and more clover honey sweetness, with some slightly bitter hops. It washes back to a bitter coffee finish.

M: This beer really coated my mouth, quite a lot, it reminded me of one time when I drank a bit of olive oil. All in all, very substantial and pleasant.

D: I'd drink as many as I could if they weren't so expensive!

Summary: A fantastic English bitter

03-01-2008 21:34:16 | More by mualphapiper
funnynoises

01-23-2012 02:58:43 | More by funnynoises
Doctuh

Maine

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

Hazy pour with a thin head from a beautifully presented bottle. Tart fruity aromatics in the lift. Carbonation moves in echelon with the earthy taste. Bitter beginnings repudiated in the conspicuously lemon hoppy finish.

- Bottle pour, cellar temperature, into a pint glass -

04-19-2007 23:39:25 | More by Doctuh
maskaggs

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. I had whilst listening to a rather long recorded theology lecture and passed the time quite comfortably. I rated appearance 4.5 due to the cloudiness of this beer - I'm not learned enough in the art of beer to know if this is usually "good" or "bad," but I liked it. It took on a nice glow in soft light.

Smell and taste were just a tad above average in this ale - definitely good, but nothing to rant about. The mouthfeel was good - nice and smooth, a pleasant feeling both on the draw and the swallow. Drinkability earned a 5 because I could have comfortably (and responsibly) had another bottle or two in this single sitting.

Some may not agree, but I think packaging does say something about the beer inside. A beer can certainly be delicious without being stored in something pretty, but an eye-catching bottle makes a beer easier to pick out on a shelf. Interesting design here, which I believe claims to be a faithful reproduction of a late 18th-century bottle. A nice historical tidbit to accompany a nice historical beer!

11-03-2008 21:23:59 | More by maskaggs