St. Peter's English Ale - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Peter's English Ale Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Pours a cloudy orange-amber with a small amount of bubbly white head. Pretty good retention and lacing.

S: Malty and sweet, a little bit of caramel, and a bit of hops.

T: Sweet, with a decent amount of hops to finish.

M: Relatively mild carbonation, smooth. Slightly sticky on the aftertaste.

D: Drinks quite easily, and relatively low ABV. (347 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

St. Peter's unique bottle design is what first drew me to try their beers several years ago but it is the quality of their brews that has kept me coming back. This beer pours a very hazy yellow gold with just the tiniest of white heads briefly appearing up top. The aromas are very earthy with a pleasant, honey-like sweetness. Its flavors are also have earthy notes with a very intriguing sourdough breadiness that I like very much. The cost of St. Peter's is a bit steep but its beers are well worth revisiting every now and then. (532 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured a 500-ml bottle into a pub ale glass.

Appearance - beautiful light copper, bright and inviting. Very little head and virtually no lace save a thin edge ring. Surface bubbles definitely look complex and well-situated.

Smell - the freshness, the fruity zip and a very light malt presence tickle the nose. Definitely picking up some light spices, quite mild, but interesting.

Taste - starts out with a light sweet malty flavour that very quickly gives way to a steady hop bitterness that goes on and on and on. I wouldn't agree with the bottle's description of "delicate character". This is a no-nonsense line drive ale with a strong hop presence. Must be the organic hops or hops in quantity.

Mouthfeel - this is remisiscent of certain IPAs. Good hop concentration to keep it interesting.

Drinkability - wouldn't have more than 2 of these because of the same reason for limiting IPAs - I don't want to only associate beer with hops. It does get a little unidirectional when the malt isn't as present in the mix. (1,021 characters)

What a very interesting beer this one is. Upon opening the bottle I get a whiff of that skunky hoppy smell, but upon pouring I get honey and very faint hops. Foam dissipated rapidly even after some of the yeast residue poured out into the glass. A cloudy orange-yellow color (maybe shades of brown) that is pleasant to look at and tasted quite good. You get that honey at first, followed by a bit of spiciness and a hint of hops/sour at the end. Very smooth going down and I finished this beer off pretty fast over a fried chicken and buttermilk biscuit dinner. Really very tasty - I'll have to get this one again. I was expecting something more in the hoppy pale ale department, and this is very different than any English ale I've had. (737 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +24.1%

I have really been enjoying the English Pale Ale's lately and this is a great one!

Poured into a Duvel glass this beer has a dark straw color with little clarity (bottle conditioned?). The head is light and foamy at first then dissapates to some lacing.

The aroma is of williamette hops I believe with a nice (just passed over the Atlantic) smell to them. They're not juicy but not aged. Their is a sizable amount of sweet malt in the nose.

The taste is lightly sweet malt and finishes with a lightly bitter flavor. This is one tasty beer and each mouthful begs another.

The mouthfeel is ideal for a session ale. This is much like a mild - perhaps a bit too hopppy. And too light to be a bitter. There is a decent balance and a mouthfeel is just about in line with the style.

The drinkabilty is off the charts. I could and would drink this all day all night. I love this beer and will seek it out again! (908 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured a light amber, orangish color that was cloudy with very little to no head. The smell was hops, plums, roasted barley and floral scents. Initial taste was roasted malt with some bitterness and flowery tea flavors in the end. It is a good beer with decent drinkability, but not great and not horrible, very average. (320 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Slightly opaque golden color with a white head. Scattered lacing.

S - Earthy toasted malt aroma with a touch of flowery hops. Some buttery, caramel sweetness is present as well.

T - Grainy and bready malt up front, but this one is suprisingly bitter. Some citrus hops hit you first, and then fade into nice, floral notes with some fruitiness at the finish. Very earthy, balanced flavor.

M - Body is fairly light with an oily slickness on the tongue. Carbonation is moderate but goes away quickly as the beer sits.

D - Very drinkable and refreshing. This is one that I could put away several pints of. (608 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +8.1%

This pours a very hazy peach colour with a 1 finger head of foam...lots of tiny bubbles.

The smell is pretty big on the caramel malt and earth with very little hops noticeable but this is an English Pale Ale so no surprise there.

The taste is sweet up front with the caramel malt, then I notice the earthiness that the hops impart and a wee bit of bitterness that's grassy mostly near and through the finish. There's also a breadiness about this brew that I can taste with every sip. Pretty good Ale.

The mouthfeel is medium as is the carbonation. Head retention is turning out to be quite good and it leaves some good lacing.

Drinkablity? The abv says it should be good as long as it has a good taste and I find it does. I could easily session on this one. Too bad it's not carried in town.. (797 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -45.7%

Pours a mirky golden orange color with a thin fizzy white head that quickly fades without any lacing. Earthy aroma of grass, soil and hops with a vegetable-like quality. Crisper than their IPA but still very earthy and dirty tasting. Vegetable-like and bitter but in a rotten unpleasant kind of way. (299 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance: Golden bordering on amber, low carbonation, thin head which dissipates quickly, leaving the faintest wisps of lace.

Smell: Biscuity nose, alternating with just a hint of caramel on closer inspection.

Flavour: Earthy with a general bitterness. Just the slightest tones of harsh citrus fruit (i.e. lemons) overshadowed by grassy and, to a lesser extent, piney tones.

Mouthfeel: Cask-like in nature; low carbonation. Taste (especially bitterness) lingers long after and especially stimulates the left and right extremities of the tongue (purportedly where the tongue experiences sour tastes) which could be considered consistent with the hidden citrusy tastes. Thicker than expected, and coats the mouth. It is kind of harsh, but perhaps I am a pseudo-masochist, because it I enjoy it in spite of the attack on the regular sensibilities of the palate.

Drinkability: definitely not a session beer, but great to sip and enjoy. I believe that (at least here in Ontario) that what is labeled as St. Peter's English Ale is indeed the same as the Organic Ale that I believe they serve in the UK. Not my favourite St. Peter's offering, but still a pleasant brew, as was expected given their range of other fantastic brews. (1,228 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

Bought this bottle at Green's, and it fits nicely into my English pint glass. Pours with the slightest chill haze, an orange amber with a fairly slight head, but one that is creamy and settles to athin cap and leaves some lacing. I lie the design of the bottle, but this one is is still in that light green glass that I hate since it skunks the beer. This one seems okay, however. Nicely balanced aromas of lightly sweet grain, earthy hops, and some floral top notes. A bit of clean hay is there as well. Smells rustic and delicious. Pretty similar in the taste, just beatifully balanced with some nice but slight lingering earthy bitterness and a pleasant, slightly metallic undernote. Tastes fairly fresh with some light sweetness and some more hay. Very nice. Medium bodied with just enough graininess and bitterness to keep it interesting. A pleasure. I'd love to try this on cask. (885 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

preface: I'm a bit tipsy, but want to keep tasting.
Beautiful amber red in color with a head that looks like frothed egg whites. Head retention is minimal.
The aroma is deliciously hoppy with some citrus notes.
Flavor is mild with a slight bitter end. It opened up a bit as it warmed.
I can't say that I favor this beer. It's not that it's bad per say,it's just not what I'm after. (381 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours a cloudy hazy gold with a small white head and modest lacing.

The nose is simple but well integrated. Non-descript, slightly sweet malts, butterscotch, and spicy citrus hops.

Caramel sweetness and raw graininess are the immediate flavors. There is a slight sourness mid palate that quickly gives way to earthy hop bitterness and a hint of lemon. The bitterness lingers and the dreaded skunk sets in. As it warms the skunkiness becomes more prominent and lingers longer.

Medium-light bodied with quite a bit of carbonation.

Smooth and refreshing, modestly complex but well meshed. This would be an extremely enjoyable beer if not for the skunkiness. What's with the green bottles? The first time I tried this I knew the bottle was old so I didn't rate it, but I've been told that this is a fresh bottle and the skunk is still there. (841 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +9.5%

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. I had whilst listening to a rather long recorded theology lecture and passed the time quite comfortably. I rated appearance 4.5 due to the cloudiness of this beer - I'm not learned enough in the art of beer to know if this is usually "good" or "bad," but I liked it. It took on a nice glow in soft light.

Smell and taste were just a tad above average in this ale - definitely good, but nothing to rant about. The mouthfeel was good - nice and smooth, a pleasant feeling both on the draw and the swallow. Drinkability earned a 5 because I could have comfortably (and responsibly) had another bottle or two in this single sitting.

Some may not agree, but I think packaging does say something about the beer inside. A beer can certainly be delicious without being stored in something pretty, but an eye-catching bottle makes a beer easier to pick out on a shelf. Interesting design here, which I believe claims to be a faithful reproduction of a late 18th-century bottle. A nice historical tidbit to accompany a nice historical beer! (1,065 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -6.2%

Pale golden in color with a 1/2" sticky white head. Lot's of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.
Somewhat doughy and herbal smelling. Not a lot happening in the nez.
Sweet white bread tasting malt. Nice herbal earthy hoppiness. Pear. Grainy and slightly bitter wheat thin cracker like in the finish. After an average appearance and aroma. It's a pretty tasty beer.
Mouthfeel is way too thin. Feels watered down.
Good session ale to sit down and shoot the bull with. (470 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -21.6%

As a home brewer I was attracted by the bottle, and beer style. The bottle will be great for later use bottling home brew.
This beer is 100% organic a huge selling point for me!

I have not been a home brewer for many years by any means; however if i ever produced something like this I would scratch the recipe!

The ale appears cloudy and little head stayed on top of the pour.

There is a pleasant aroma, English style Hops are some of the first notes to hit your nose.

The taste is refreshing, and slightly sour on the outsides of my tongue. It is not overly hoppy, and leaves much to be desired in the taste category

The beer is somewhat slimy when first put into the mouth. Its feel is as unwanted as any beer I have consumed in recent memory.

This beer is more refreshing than most, making it not completely undrinkable, but the slimy heavy mouth feel, and lack of any solid category other than the fact it is 100% organic, and comes in one of the most unique bottles found in NC grocery stores leaves me wanting much much more from an ale.

This beer is not one I would buy again, though if I were to pick between this and any American mass produced Lager or Pilsner I would still chose the St Peters English Ale

-NC Beer Monger (1,242 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from a 500ml yellowish green flask-like bottle.

Pours a cloudy light to medium orange color. Very nice looking head and pretty foamy lacing.

Aroma at first was very skunky, from the yellowish green bottle. But the skunky smell dissipated quite a bit. The aroma is malty with some hop aromas coming through, still has some skunk, but not as bad as it was after the pour.

Taste has some sweetness at first which yields to a maltiness. Nice hints of hops in the taste as well with a moderately bitter finish. There is also a little bit of skunky taste that lingers in the glass from start to finish which isn't that bad, but it is noticeable. Mouthfeel is nice, and good drinkability.

Overall this one is very good, could be much better if it didn't have the bit of skunkiness from the bad choice of bottle color, fortunately it was not that bad.

Edit: I forgot to add this,

I would love to try this again with a fresher bottle. I think the one I got was sitting around for a while. But with no freshness dates, its hard to tell. (1,040 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +5%

Very cool green medicine bottle look. Organically produced certifications all over it. Cool cap with a little bird on it.

A - Poured into a mug, the beer was a nice deep amber leaning towards the red side, translucent with hardly any bubbles racing upwards. A normal pour produced a good two-finger off-white sticky head that stayed for almost the whole beer. Awesome lacing that covered my glass and did not move until I washed it out.

S - Caramel notes up front that turns to a somewhat sweet flowery smell. Maybe a draw of butterscotch/toffee in there.

T & M - Right up front I get the caramel, just like in the smell. It's nice and smooth and very lightly carbonated, just barely noticeable. Slightly sweet then with a nice light bitterness following. Then I get an odd taste that I've never tasted in a beer before. I get this strange taste that foods get when they've been in a plastic container for a long time. It's like a mix between rubber and plastic. I want to say that it's a roasted malt taste but I'm not sure it is. Maybe it's from the copper kettle and I've just never had that style before. Very smooth mouthfeel, nice and creamy yet somewhat chewy. Easy to drink.

I liked this beer, but I really wanted to like it more. I loved everything about it until that plastic/rubber aftertaste. It wouldn't leave me alone. It teased me during the drinking and haunted me when the beer was finished. Left my mouth feeling like I inhaled burnt plastic. Perhaps it's the copper kettle showing its thing, but I'm not sure. I'd love to try it again to see if it's the same. (1,582 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Unique pint+0.9 fl. oz. flask-shaped bottle poured into a pint willi glass yields a hazy orange-amber body crowned with two fingers of rocky white foam that recedes quickly leaving sticky webs of lacing on the glass.

The smell of the drink is a bit malty with a whiff of floral hops.

The taste is crisp and dry with a mild and toasty pale malt backbone. A bit of bitterness, earthiness, and a floral note marks the finish.

Light-medium-bodied and mildly carbonated, St. Peter's is plenty drinkable. (501 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +28.3%

What a great Ale.

A - Golden with a tinge of orange, this Ale has a nice thin head that sticks around and sparkles when agitated.

S - Light and unassuming. I'm still fairly new to the identifying ingredients by smell...

T - Light hops and very evenly balanced. Clean with very little aftertaste.

M - Medium body and sparkling feeling.

D - These are great when you want to have 3-4 with dinner. ;) (401 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

Very cloudy yellow brew. Thick white head with good retention. Grassy, hoppy smell. Taste comes up short, though. Smooth, buttery, and slightly hoppy, but overall it's lacking punch and disappointingly, it has a slightly metallic flavor. Decent beer, and would be an okay session beer, but not for the price. (308 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +18.2%

I had this at a haute cuisine French restaurant (very short beer list, huge wine cellar... yet the beers were just as outstanding).

Tableside beer service, poured into a tulip glass, appearance was of hazy orange (almost appears like a hefeweizen), slightly cloudy but a thin head that stays around. Very appealing to be sure!

Smell was of light hops mixed with organic malts and you could actually smell the earthiness of the brew.

Taste was of malts and hops but it was quite distinct and not blended, somewhat unique in my view. You'd taste the malts and as that disappeared the hops would come upon you, wallop you, and then disappear.

Mouthfeel was excellent. A bit of soapiness and hoppiness with the finish but crisp and clean otherwise. A joy to drink.

Drinkability was a delight. Happily finished the beer and seriously considered ordering more just to take home at inflated markup prices.

Overall - if I can find this beer again, I'm definitely buying some to take home. (986 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +26.3%

** noticed a little bit of that green bottle/skunky smell as soon as i cracked it open. that wasn't there the first time i tried st. pete's ... let's hope it goes away.

A- pours a beautiful orange/apricot hazy brew with little rising bubbles and a huge puffy cloud of off white foam with an orange-cream tint to it. awesome retention, the lace is initially swollen and 3-dimensional and as the head goes from puffy to chunky, the lace dries to columns and stringers of fine crusted webbing and the foam persists to a clump at the bottom of the glass.

S- just as i hoped, that skunky taste disappeared with significant aeration. caramel sweet, toffee, butterscotch, very fresh cereal grains, pale barley, and earthy, sharp, and softly aromatic english hops. all in all like a high quality granola bar and sweet cream sandwich. does that make sense?

T- the taste of fresh grain is rich and unmistakable, and even though it's only barley, i could call out a half dozen grain flavors that are all being produced by ONE organic malt. stunning. one of my favorite things about organic foods is that they take on characteristics of the soil they were grown in, rather than the chemical fertilizers that were used. this pale ale is an excellent example of that effect. earthy, grainy, with such a nice pale and toasted cereal flavor as well as some toasted sunflower seeds, sesame, oats, and mineral water. tangerine citrus hops are creamy and floral as they hide in the back letting the malt win out in the balance with only a slight edge. the finish is neutral and mildly tropical fruity bitter with plenty of that delicious malted grain and some tart natural banana taste. outstanding.

MF- nearly light bodied, a slight oiliness lends a fuller feeling without any sweetness. aside from the fresh grain taste, the feel of this one lets you know that you're drinking something, as if it has really pulled all the essence out of the barley. as it warms, the tight prickly carbonation abates and the full character of this ale is revealed. rich and hearty for such a pale ale.

D- no doubt about it, i would buy cases of this stuff if it were readily available. thirst quenching, refreshing, and substantial. low abv makes it all easier and sessionability is not even a question. even assuming this bottle was less than fresh does nothing to stand in the way of a superb organic ale. (2,378 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a pale gold color, with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, pale hops, along with some honey & caramel.

T: The taste is malty and bready up front with flavors of grain, caramel, honey and some spice. There's a mild and pale hops presence that provides a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, it's a decent beer to drink for a while but not the first that I would choose within the style. (711 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -24.1%

Pours into the glass a clear, pretty golden amber with a fairly thick and fluffy but not persistent head. Aroma is crisp and malty, rather like a lager instead of an ale. Flavor is malty, not complex, a bit on the thin side. Texture is smooth and has a little bit of a bite. Not exciting, but palatable. (303 characters)

St. Peter's English Ale from St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd