St. Peter's Old-Style Porter - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Peter's Old-Style Porter Alström Bros

In a word, Perfect. Best Porter I've ever had after 20 years of drinking beer. Smooth, smooth, smooth! Yummy. I picked it up because of its unassuming label, quite simple. St.Peters also makes a stout you must have too. I've only seen them in specialty shops here in south TX. 'Nuff said. (288 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +28.1%

Before I start, let me just say that I love this bottle. :)

This pours out a beautiful black cherry color, not quite opaque. The head is thin, but it stayed all the way down.

Nose is super sweet, the sweetest I have ever experienced in a beer. Dextrose (malt sugar) cherries, raspberries, and dark chocolate.

Tast mirrors the aroma very well, but not quite as potent. Additionally, there are some earthy hop notes, and a faint ghost of espresso as well. Very complex flavor, but incredibly smooth and easy to drink. Marvolous!

Mouthfeel is very creamy (not syrupy), with just enough CO2 to make it interesting. Leaves a little hop oilyness on the palate, which is fine by me.

Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful! I am so happy to have discovered this beer. This would pair well with dessert, or serve it as dessert by itself. This is easily the best beer I have tried for the first time this year, and I highly recommend it to all BA's. (947 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +26.3%

Ahh ... an excellent porter! St. Peter's is becoming a go-to brewery for me when I want the taste of a finely crafted brew that pays tribute to tradition.

St. Peter's Old-Style Porter starts with a nice pour that reveals a dark body with ruby colors when held up to strong light. Head is a rocky, textured, off-white mass that hangs around almost to the end of the pint and laces quite well.

Smell is rich, toasty, and chocolatey. Taste is true to the smell, and I also found some wonderfully sweet, savory, and caramel-like notes. Awesome. Carbonation is present, but nicely restrained, which enhances the mouthfeel and drinkability of a beer like this -- and helps fortify its flavors.

St. Peter's makes an excellent presentation with its Old-Style Porter. I'm extremely impressed.

On a side note, I do miss the medicine bottle, but the new bottle shape is pleasing in its own way. (888 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle.

A: The pour was a smooth pour with hardly any head to it. Dark color that cast a dark amber hue in the light. Small bubbles produced a great lacing down the side of the glass.

S: Smell starts with a sweet mineral smell that lingers in the nostrils. Deep and dark aromas that leave a deep sense of a rich butterscotch.

T & M: Taste reminds me of a rich butterscotch pudding that lingers on the palate. A slight brown sugar taste finishes out the profile and leaves a warm sense to the mouth a and throat.

O: I have always been a fan of a good English porter and was definitely was not disappointed by this beer. (645 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +21.4%

Purchased a bottle from World Market for a try.

Poured into a tall clear glass.

A - Deep, dark amber color; almost completely blocks out the light; thick tan head with lots of lacing

S - Nice oaky aroma with a malty back end; some hints of caramel

T - deep roasted malts and some yeast; something else is here though, maybe toffee; something sweet

M - Thick and carbonated nicely; coating the mouth and tongue with the sweet bitterness

O - I was happy when I poured this into the glass, but pleasantly shocked when took the first drink. It literally widened my eyes with the sweet, malty goodness it brings. i had to force myself to slow down and enjoy every drop. (670 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +20.8%

A- very dark clear brown, nearly black, and a rich dense creamy beige head that settles to a thick ring.

S- kona coffee, dark chocolate, and roasted grains, burnt caramel, stone, soil, wood, cigar, raisin, burnt cookies, and a touch of wood smoke. very earthy and definitely meeting my expectations.

T- fruity, roasted, bitter, very nice! tart sour berry flavors are apparent immediately, followed by intense roasted grain/coffee/cocoa and piney hop with a touch of citrus. woodsy, charcoal, burnt brown sugar, molasses, oscuro cigar wrapper, with underlying notes of deeply roasted brazil nuts. finishes with a roasted bitterness, earthy hops, more pleasant bitterness, smoke, soil, and cocoa.

MF- rich and powdery, cooling, with nicely subtle carbonation. coating on the cheeks. nice full body with a sense of lightness.

D- understanding that this is a blend of an old ale and a newer beer adds depth of intrigue for me. most notable though is the depth of flavor and aroma. if this is how porters once were, then i would have no problem getting by in the pubs a century ago. (1,085 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +19.8%

Very nice porter, one of my favourites. It´s not sweet nor acid, just bitter with strong coffee notes. I find it very sesionable and a good representative of the style. (169 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +19.5%

I came across this delectable treat at The Mercury Lounge in Goleta, California. Though it was a bit expensive at about $7/bottle, I can say it is probably the tastiest porter I've ever had (I've probably tried a dozen so far. i.e. so not a lot). I think the best trait this porter has is the exceptional balance between ingredients. A strong roast flavor comes through without the acrid burnt flavor typical of near black ales. A true porter that doesn’t try to be a stout. Unfortunately the lighting was horrible at The Mercury so I can’t comment on the appearance other than the unique bottles are quite an interesting sight. The mouth-feel was just thick enough to let you know a lot went into making the beer without making it filling, and the hops were just bitter enough to prevent the drink from having a sweet aftertaste. A beer that is good for a short session or with dinner. Again, the balance with this one is quite good. I hope to try one again some time. (981 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +19%

Poured a clear dark ruby red with chunky tan colored head that falls off to thin filmy, but active head. Head retention and lacing are average

Smell: Toasted malt and other malt overtones with a slight fruitty smell (dates & grapes??)

Taste: Rich toasty malt taste with fruitiness (grapes and raisins), licorice, nuttyness and dryness in the finish

MF: Great balance with ideal carbonation levels

One of the better UK ( I think) beers I had lately, will have to look further into the reviews to verify what's happening here. Wherever it comes from,I highly reccomend, could drink this all night. After a quick post from Jason I learned this is indeed from the UK, but there is a brewery by the same name in Australia. My search parameters were not very good... (772 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +18%

The presentation is great: a very unique bottle (great for bottle collectors). St Peter's Old-Style Porter, comes in a 1 PINT 0.9 FL. OZ. bottle that resembles the shape of a flask or an old fashion medicine bottle. Very cool!

I have had three experiences with this beer. The first: very good. The second: disappointing. And the third was fantastic. I think I figured out the secret to this beer and I will share it with you in a minute.

This Porter pours out into your pint glass as a dark amber/brown. It is thick in appearance at first, but once you hold it to the light you can see both the light and the shadows of what is between you and the light. So I would call it dark but partly translucent. It gave a thick frothy head (ivory in color) that lingered for a good five minutes before fading into a lasting froth.

The smell was VERY mild, very little aroma at all, in fact. I could barely get the smell of earthy malt and alcohol.

A taste of the frothy head instantly gave me leather, followed by a pleasant taste of tobacco (like pipe tobacco not crappy cigarettes). As the beer went down quickly, I realized the flavor is pretty straightforward; there are not a lot of hidden flavors in multiple layers of this beer. While it is not terribly complex, it is however very pleasant and EXTREAMLY drinkable. There are the flavors of medium toastedness, slight earthy malty flavors, and BARELY dark chocolate, coffee, and caramel. But none of these jump out at you. More you just notice a blended flavor, not too sweet not too bitter, that is truly unique and quite tasty.

What stands out about this beer is not anything extraordinary in the taste but the remarkably light mouthfeel for a beer that seems so dark. For a Porter, I'd say this is probably medium-light. It is very frothy in the mouth and incredibly easy to down!

There are in other reviews comments about the strong overtones of bite and alcohol. I had that problem with my second encounter with St Peter's Old-Style Porter but not this time. I did not get that at all this time and I think I figured out the secret to this beer. I drank it this time (at home) BARELY chilled. It was perfect! The last time I had it at the bar at refrigerator temperature. I was disappointed, especially because my first experience was so fantastic. The first time I had it, I was also at the bar, but it was a party and after I ordered my beer I was asked to attend to host stuff. Until I got back to my beer it was barely chilled, and I loved it. Somehow this beer needs to NOT be too damn cold or the alcohol will bite you like a rabid dog.

However, served at just the right temperature this is one of the most drinkable Porters I have ever had.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (2,758 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours a dark black with mahoghany highlights.

Roasted oak and semi-sweet chocolate!

First taste was a bit of bbq sauce. After that things settled down a bit. Charcoal and bitter chocolate. Hop acid levels are just right. This one is balanced.

Beer of substance...

Very easy to drink because of the balance. Tastes like a porter should. Do not let the green bottle scare you away! I'm not usually a porter fan and I got talked into trying this one. I owe my buddy a "High Five"! This is a classic porter. I wish all porters were this enjoyable! (547 characters)

this is brilliant
a porter w/smooth tones & mellow like an english countryside
bloody good porter
drinking whilst listening to Maiden's seventh son album...that's mellowing out to me....
cheers (194 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours very dark brown to black color, a vigorous pour resulted in a small head that dissipated quickly. Chocolate malt aroma. Taste is excellent, theres quite a bit going on I'm sure others could point out specific flavors, lets just say its nicely balanced, nice amount of astringency and finishes dark chocolate like. One of my favorite styles, and this is one of the best I've had. Highly recommend, as are the others I've had from this brewery. I'm not sure if I like this or their cream stout better... guess I'll have to try them side by side. (549 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Presentation: bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: dark brown to black ale that is nearly opaque but has ruby highlights around the edge.

S: roasted barley, but not any coffee. Chocolate predominates along with cherry and plum esters, mineral notes, and a significant spiciness, which seems to be the hop.

T: big biscuit with chocolate on the center of the palate, roasted dark malt as well, nutty like a Newcastle as well. Has a complex flavor from the blended two threads of ale, and it shows in the taste. Feels like a black and tan with multiple flavors in different directions, but this blends much better and ties together well.

M: chevwy, thick, and light all at the same time. Even a bit watery but not then. Again, multiple elements and layers to the beer.

D: smooth and easy, but not thin or too light in spite of this. Lighter than a stout like a porter should be.

Overall: a very excellent ale that seems to be underrated on BA. It is a complex ale without being overly heavy like a barleywine, but has some serious craftsmenship behind it. I think some of my fellow reviewers need another look at this one. Reading some of the reviews, it doesn't seem like people get the two threads (of the historical three, but an A for effort) idea and the direction of "Old World" for this one. Has flavors reminiscent of Flag Porter as well, but easier to drink and get to the depth of the beer. (1,408 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours very dark, not-quite-black with a light tan head.

Very sweet aroma with plenty of sweet chocolate and light non-bitter espresso notes. Quite fruity.

A wonderful porter without lots of roast notes which often overwhelm self-styled porters. Plenty sweet, rich dark fruity notes with figs and raisins predominant. An interesting light chocolate touch and a light bitterness in the back palate. Complex and delicious.

A nice thick body here with light carbonation makes this beer a great winter beer that sits nicely on the palate. Great.

A wonderful, traditional style porter with lots of great flavours going on. Wonderfully drinkable for a standard strength beer. (672 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured from imperial pint bottle into dimpled mug.
A - Opaque black in color. Nice two finger tan head, that diminishes somewhat quickly, leaving light lacing on inside of glass.
S - Dark roasted malt,milky chocolate, and a bit of coffee.
T - Chocolate malt,more coffee than the smell would indicate, a bit of mild hops on the finish.
M - Not as slick or as lingering as some English porters. Nice balance of malt and hops gives it a surprisingly quick finish.
D - I would have to add this to my short list of drinkable porters. This has lots of flavor, yet not so heavy as to limit me to one bottle. It is made in the old school method of true English porters. I highly recommend it as a benchmark for all porters to be measured against. (738 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +16.7%

A - Pours to almost a very dark almost amber hue, nice dark eggshell head with good lacing.

S - Smells malty, roasted coffee

T - Up front but not overwhelming bitterness. Roasty notes, an almost rootbeer like flavor

M - Pretty light mouthfeel for a porter with lively carbonation

D - Due to the mouthfeel and IMO great taste I could imagine drinking a few in a sitting.

This beer is very good. I enjoy those heavy complex beers myself but for when you don't want something that bowls you over but still has some of the dark beer character this is a great choice. Some might take points away for it not being as heavy as they like but this is a plus in my book with this one. Everything balances out nicely and you don't want to go sleep in the corner after having a pint of it. Great beer IMO. Will definately visit again. St Peters makes some good stuff. (860 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%

Nice clear ruby apperance. Thin bubbly light brown head. Retention is good and lace is adequate. Nose is slight cocoa and vanilla. roasted coffee bean and molasses. The mouthfeel is very silky. Like velvet. Body is medium-full. The flavors are java, roasted barley, burnt malt, chocolate (sweet and baker's) and vanilla. Damn subtle and damn nice. Very easy drinking. Could drink this stuff all night.

Gotta love the flask of a bottle too. (442 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%

My dad told me this was his favorite beer from a recent trip to the UK. A little unbelieving, I picked up a bottle from the local Whole Foods.

A: Nothing spectacular yet. It is a deep burgundy, almost like blood mixed with tar or pitch. Dark but with hints of ruby in there. The head was nice but not anything to write home about (despite what dad says).

S: Again, smelled nice but not like "whoa". I couldn't quite decide if this smelled light or dark. It was somewhere between a stout and a Belgian beer to my sniffer. I smelled lighter honey/citrus notes, but then when I tried to confirm I caught whiffs of roasted malts.

T: OK, he might be on to something here. This porter is so incredibly smooth I feel like someone slipped some Bailey's into it. There is an effusive creaminess that is wonderful.

M: Working off the above creaminess, I was surprised at how delicious this beer was. It went down like a double-malt milkshake. I could feel it go down the whole way to my belly. And it was good.

D: Exceedingly low alcohol content and a ridiculously good taste make this one of my all-time favorites for a session brew. It's even a cool bottle. Only downside is the cost!

As a side note - I think Skunky beers should NOT be reviewed. Unless it is blatantly due to a bottling defect, I feel that you shouldn't lower a beer's overall score. Afterall, ANY beer can be spoiled due to too much light. Don't let that discourage others from trying one. (1,456 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +15.6%

Oily black w/ rusty accents, pours with almost no head. Strong dark chocolate with hints of roasted coffee on the nose. Taste is roasty, malty and sweet with prominent bitter chocolate and coffee notes. Very thin mouthfeel, finishes rather brief with a faint lingering smokiness. Drinks very smooth and easy with blatant yet pleasant flavor. (345 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured crystal clear black with ruby highlights. The head, well, there was no head. A few bubbles at the top, but nothing else. However, those bubbles did lace the glass.

The aroma was complex with chocolate in the front, coffee in the back, and malt in between. Also just a slight roastiness and slight smokiness.

The flavor was bitter chocolate with a slight winey/sour complexity. Also a coffee flavor and a pleasant smokiness.

The finish was dry, pleasant bitter chocolate and lasting. The body was medium light to medium and very nice.

There was little to no carbonation in the beer, the cap was a bear to remove so I assume the lack of carbonation was on purpose due to being an English beer.

I have found a new favorite. A very nice beer and easy to drink.

16.9 ounce bottle, the medicine one. (827 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +15.4%

Dark brown to black in the middle with deep cherry colors at the edges. Nice creamy and sudsy head that tops off the glass. Looks tasty.

Dark, lightly roasted malt around the edges. Dried dark berries in the middle. A little bit of chocolate (chocolate covered cherries maybe). There's a sort of earthy or woodsy scent too (not pine). A very full and rounded smell, if that makes any sense. Definitely gets a more fruity vibe going as you work your way down the glass. I actually felt it resembled a sparkling wine at points.

Mild and delightful coffee flavors at the forefront. A bit of a tobacco flavor in the middle, like a nice cigar (not cigarette tobacco). A little bit of a toasted bread flavor (with butter almost!). Maybe a hint of whiskey-like smoke too. Quite a combination.

Extremely well balanced and very smooth. Just sits perfectly on the palate. Nice malt center with a great mildly bitter finish, but neither overpowering the other. Just about the perfect mouthfeel.

So this is why people drink Porters. I haven't had many and this is definitely the first one I've liked. Pretty close to a sessionable ABV too. No complaints about this brew. Not quite world-class, but not too far off either. (1,213 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a dark mahogany brown that emits a ruby glow. When held against a std. 75W light bulb, it’s brilliantly clear. A loose and creamy beige 1/2" head sits quietly atop. Graceful rings of lace all the way down.

The scents are subdued, but I can detect leather, milk chocolate & and malt powder - which ain't bad at all. Sweet vanilla cake fresh from the oven is really making me salivate.

The flavor of the leather I encountered earlier really shines, along with a dry bitter dark chocolate backdrop to even out the early earthy flavors. A few more sips bring forth some macerated black cherries drenched in figgy paste flavors. Dark malts but not very burnt of charred - just a nice roast. Ever so balanced chocolate & dark fruit elements.

Mouthfeel is exquisite. Soft, airy light-med. body with ultra fine (toned-down) carbonation. It almost has the feeling of cask. Dry and somewhat chalky finish.

Drinkability is through the roof. With its low level of ultra fine carbonation, this one won't fill you up so fast.

Overall a splendid example of a dry English porter. I've never been so lucky to try on on its native soil, but I'd like to think it would taste like this. Very eloquent and balanced. This one really shines in its subduedness. I'd like to keep many of these on hand if I could afford them. Nice treat and very much worth the $3.49/16.9 oz. bottle. (1,372 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: Very attractive brew. Poured a deep ruby brown -- almost black, but not quite. Two fingers of cappuccino colored head developed and dissipated slowly to leave a spotted lacing and ring around the edge.

Smell: A lot of dark malts -- coffee, caramel, maybe a little chocolate -- and dark fruits; I'm thinking plum for some reason, but it's not that sweet. Dates, maybe?

Taste: Whoa -- that's good. There's a perfect hop bite. The taste is dominated by the dark malts: coffee is the most prevalent, but the caramel comes into play, too. The dark fruit, whatever it is, comes through as well.

Drinkability: There's nothing better than old school -- or old-style, in this case. St. Peter's Old-Style Porter is a top-notch brew. (737 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

I had this one from the bottle poured to a glass.
This is to me the quintessential old English style porter.
The appearance is really a sight to behold. Looks great with all the trade marks of porter color and a slightly tan colored head. The head stays and laces the glace nicely with every sip.
The smell gives some nice over tones of the roasted malt as well as some coffee flavor. It smells just like a porter should. The taste on this is all about the malts: coffee and chocolate. Rich and well balanced flavor that leaves you wishing you had bought six instead of the one.
Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Some carbonation but just right.
Just like most things out of this brewery it is very drinkable. So, when you go to the liquor store and see that it is $4 a bottle just repeat to yourself that it is worth it. (827 characters)

St. Peter's Old-Style Porter from St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd