St. Peter's Old-Style Porter - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

St. Peter's Old-Style PorterSt. Peter's Old-Style Porter

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Peter's Old-Style Porter Alström Bros

In a word, Perfect. Best Porter I've ever had after 20 years of drinking beer. Smooth, smooth, smooth! Yummy. I picked it up because of its unassuming label, quite simple. St.Peters also makes a stout you must have too. I've only seen them in specialty shops here in south TX. 'Nuff said.

tonybiblerocks, Jul 28, 2012

JustinQ, Nov 24, 2011

jaylew61, Jan 01, 2012

RochefortChris, Dec 04, 2013

Rochefort10nh, Nov 27, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +28.1%

Before I start, let me just say that I love this bottle. :)

This pours out a beautiful black cherry color, not quite opaque. The head is thin, but it stayed all the way down.

Nose is super sweet, the sweetest I have ever experienced in a beer. Dextrose (malt sugar) cherries, raspberries, and dark chocolate.

Tast mirrors the aroma very well, but not quite as potent. Additionally, there are some earthy hop notes, and a faint ghost of espresso as well. Very complex flavor, but incredibly smooth and easy to drink. Marvolous!

Mouthfeel is very creamy (not syrupy), with just enough CO2 to make it interesting. Leaves a little hop oilyness on the palate, which is fine by me.

Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful! I am so happy to have discovered this beer. This would pair well with dessert, or serve it as dessert by itself. This is easily the best beer I have tried for the first time this year, and I highly recommend it to all BA's.

1whiskey, Jun 29, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +26.8%

Ahh ... an excellent porter! St. Peter's is becoming a go-to brewery for me when I want the taste of a finely crafted brew that pays tribute to tradition.

St. Peter's Old-Style Porter starts with a nice pour that reveals a dark body with ruby colors when held up to strong light. Head is a rocky, textured, off-white mass that hangs around almost to the end of the pint and laces quite well.

Smell is rich, toasty, and chocolatey. Taste is true to the smell, and I also found some wonderfully sweet, savory, and caramel-like notes. Awesome. Carbonation is present, but nicely restrained, which enhances the mouthfeel and drinkability of a beer like this -- and helps fortify its flavors.

St. Peter's makes an excellent presentation with its Old-Style Porter. I'm extremely impressed.

On a side note, I do miss the medicine bottle, but the new bottle shape is pleasing in its own way.

MrBen, Sep 18, 2007

hoppecatania, Jun 27, 2014

bunta, Feb 28, 2014
4.74/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle.

A: The pour was a smooth pour with hardly any head to it. Dark color that cast a dark amber hue in the light. Small bubbles produced a great lacing down the side of the glass.

S: Smell starts with a sweet mineral smell that lingers in the nostrils. Deep and dark aromas that leave a deep sense of a rich butterscotch.

T & M: Taste reminds me of a rich butterscotch pudding that lingers on the palate. A slight brown sugar taste finishes out the profile and leaves a warm sense to the mouth a and throat.

O: I have always been a fan of a good English porter and was definitely was not disappointed by this beer.

Mythos82, Apr 21, 2013
4.7/5  rDev +22.1%

Purchased a bottle from World Market for a try.

Poured into a tall clear glass.

A - Deep, dark amber color; almost completely blocks out the light; thick tan head with lots of lacing

S - Nice oaky aroma with a malty back end; some hints of caramel

T - deep roasted malts and some yeast; something else is here though, maybe toffee; something sweet

M - Thick and carbonated nicely; coating the mouth and tongue with the sweet bitterness

O - I was happy when I poured this into the glass, but pleasantly shocked when took the first drink. It literally widened my eyes with the sweet, malty goodness it brings. i had to force myself to slow down and enjoy every drop.

TitanTake, Apr 06, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +20.8%

I came across this delectable treat at The Mercury Lounge in Goleta, California. Though it was a bit expensive at about $7/bottle, I can say it is probably the tastiest porter I've ever had (I've probably tried a dozen so far. i.e. so not a lot). I think the best trait this porter has is the exceptional balance between ingredients. A strong roast flavor comes through without the acrid burnt flavor typical of near black ales. A true porter that doesn’t try to be a stout. Unfortunately the lighting was horrible at The Mercury so I can’t comment on the appearance other than the unique bottles are quite an interesting sight. The mouth-feel was just thick enough to let you know a lot went into making the beer without making it filling, and the hops were just bitter enough to prevent the drink from having a sweet aftertaste. A beer that is good for a short session or with dinner. Again, the balance with this one is quite good. I hope to try one again some time.

AAvgerinos, Apr 12, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +20.3%

A- very dark clear brown, nearly black, and a rich dense creamy beige head that settles to a thick ring.

S- kona coffee, dark chocolate, and roasted grains, burnt caramel, stone, soil, wood, cigar, raisin, burnt cookies, and a touch of wood smoke. very earthy and definitely meeting my expectations.

T- fruity, roasted, bitter, very nice! tart sour berry flavors are apparent immediately, followed by intense roasted grain/coffee/cocoa and piney hop with a touch of citrus. woodsy, charcoal, burnt brown sugar, molasses, oscuro cigar wrapper, with underlying notes of deeply roasted brazil nuts. finishes with a roasted bitterness, earthy hops, more pleasant bitterness, smoke, soil, and cocoa.

MF- rich and powdery, cooling, with nicely subtle carbonation. coating on the cheeks. nice full body with a sense of lightness.

D- understanding that this is a blend of an old ale and a newer beer adds depth of intrigue for me. most notable though is the depth of flavor and aroma. if this is how porters once were, then i would have no problem getting by in the pubs a century ago.

hustlesworth, Aug 17, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +19%

Poured a clear dark ruby red with chunky tan colored head that falls off to thin filmy, but active head. Head retention and lacing are average

Smell: Toasted malt and other malt overtones with a slight fruitty smell (dates & grapes??)

Taste: Rich toasty malt taste with fruitiness (grapes and raisins), licorice, nuttyness and dryness in the finish

MF: Great balance with ideal carbonation levels

One of the better UK ( I think) beers I had lately, will have to look further into the reviews to verify what's happening here. Wherever it comes from,I highly reccomend, could drink this all night. After a quick post from Jason I learned this is indeed from the UK, but there is a brewery by the same name in Australia. My search parameters were not very good...

russpowell, Jan 07, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

The presentation is great: a very unique bottle (great for bottle collectors). St Peter's Old-Style Porter, comes in a 1 PINT 0.9 FL. OZ. bottle that resembles the shape of a flask or an old fashion medicine bottle. Very cool!

I have had three experiences with this beer. The first: very good. The second: disappointing. And the third was fantastic. I think I figured out the secret to this beer and I will share it with you in a minute.

This Porter pours out into your pint glass as a dark amber/brown. It is thick in appearance at first, but once you hold it to the light you can see both the light and the shadows of what is between you and the light. So I would call it dark but partly translucent. It gave a thick frothy head (ivory in color) that lingered for a good five minutes before fading into a lasting froth.

The smell was VERY mild, very little aroma at all, in fact. I could barely get the smell of earthy malt and alcohol.

A taste of the frothy head instantly gave me leather, followed by a pleasant taste of tobacco (like pipe tobacco not crappy cigarettes). As the beer went down quickly, I realized the flavor is pretty straightforward; there are not a lot of hidden flavors in multiple layers of this beer. While it is not terribly complex, it is however very pleasant and EXTREAMLY drinkable. There are the flavors of medium toastedness, slight earthy malty flavors, and BARELY dark chocolate, coffee, and caramel. But none of these jump out at you. More you just notice a blended flavor, not too sweet not too bitter, that is truly unique and quite tasty.

What stands out about this beer is not anything extraordinary in the taste but the remarkably light mouthfeel for a beer that seems so dark. For a Porter, I'd say this is probably medium-light. It is very frothy in the mouth and incredibly easy to down!

There are in other reviews comments about the strong overtones of bite and alcohol. I had that problem with my second encounter with St Peter's Old-Style Porter but not this time. I did not get that at all this time and I think I figured out the secret to this beer. I drank it this time (at home) BARELY chilled. It was perfect! The last time I had it at the bar at refrigerator temperature. I was disappointed, especially because my first experience was so fantastic. The first time I had it, I was also at the bar, but it was a party and after I ordered my beer I was asked to attend to host stuff. Until I got back to my beer it was barely chilled, and I loved it. Somehow this beer needs to NOT be too damn cold or the alcohol will bite you like a rabid dog.

However, served at just the right temperature this is one of the most drinkable Porters I have ever had.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Dec 03, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours very dark, not-quite-black with a light tan head.

Very sweet aroma with plenty of sweet chocolate and light non-bitter espresso notes. Quite fruity.

A wonderful porter without lots of roast notes which often overwhelm self-styled porters. Plenty sweet, rich dark fruity notes with figs and raisins predominant. An interesting light chocolate touch and a light bitterness in the back palate. Complex and delicious.

A nice thick body here with light carbonation makes this beer a great winter beer that sits nicely on the palate. Great.

A wonderful, traditional style porter with lots of great flavours going on. Wonderfully drinkable for a standard strength beer.

dgilks, Aug 24, 2009