La Tache - The Ale Apothecary

The Ale Apothecary visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 07-30-2012

The Beer Formerly Known as LA TACHE is the table sour produced year-round by The Ale Apothecary. (TBFKA) LA TACHE is made of malted barley & wheat and Goschie Farms Cascade Hops. The hops are used only for aroma as the balance of the beer comes from acid produced by our house lactobacillus culture. She spends up to one year in our barrels during a long, relaxed fermentation prior to a month-long dry-hopping (yes, in oak barrels!). Our sensory experience is lemon citrus & fermented orchard fruit nose over earthy undertones. The palate finishes with soft lactic acid balanced by the malt body.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.94/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks to Tieman for sharing this one at his tasting.

Batch 8/19/12.

Pours a slightly murky yellow with a fizzy off-white head that settles to nothing. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is slightly sour and tart with some malt, grain, and fruity aromas. Taste is much the same with a fruity and slight wood finish. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty and easy to drink.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

The first thing I noticed when pouring this beer was the blast of funk that kicked my face like Jet Li. Well ... Jet Li if he were homeless and had just stepped in a colossal cow pie. That may sound bad but if you fiend for the funk like I do then you know it aint a bad thing.

This pours the color of a winter beam of sun. Pale yellow anemic sunshine. Carbonation is very active and I have to pour very gently to avoid a head volcano. It settles into a rocky surface, full of peaks and valleys. Lovely.

The nose is full of barnyard funk and once it opens up a bit more and I get a bit of lemon rind, touch of oak, candy and the faintest hint of soap. In a sense, it's sort of simple with the funk being so upfront but there's definite beauty in the simplicity.

Initially the carbonation was furiously paced but after about thirty minutes settled down greatly. It does stay nice and dry throughout though, which I love. I taste citrusy fruits, like lemons, a dash of oak mingled with funkiness that gives the impression of a tart onslaught that never quite arrives. This beer is interesting enough to pair with just about anything I would imagine. It seems bold enough to stand by the side of nearly any dish but not so bold that it would steal the show. Would love to try this with some La Serena cheese (raw sheeps milk cheese).

Great beer. A big thank you to Paul for welcoming my girlfriend and myself into his brewery and taking the time to talk shop with us. We love what you're doing!

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%

Sooo.... I am a little bit hesitant adding a new brew/brewery with this pedigree.

reinheitsgematt and I somehow managed to make our way to Ale Apothecary within about a day or two of our same vacation footprint... And Matt opened a La Tache tonight.

No label. Not a cork and cage, instead a champagne knot in red string. Classy for sure, but a huge PITA for folks tying them... I am impressed with the presentation.

The brew pours clear golden.. short lasting white head... decent
lacing with low profile head... nice.

Nose is not "funky" the way most geeks will expect.. instead, a
wonderful lemony/lactic aroma abounds... I get a lite "citrus"
hoppiness, but I could be imagining things... Cascade?

The flavor pretty much mirrors the nose with a nice oaky presence .... Barrel notes maybe? Viognier? Lactic acidity without ever verging on "acidic" ... lemony and very approachable for folks touching base with "wild" ales. Tart and soooo very drinkable. Digging this one very much.

A great summer session sour... just tart enough to guarantee sips, but makes me want another right away.

I loved my little tour around the "Mountain Brewery" .... Besides the winter snow ;-) I cannot imagine a more perfect place to make a dream come true. Badass... Thanks, Paul!!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last