S'more Stout - Base Camp Brewing Company

Oregon, United States

American Stout |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: ccrida on 11-21-2012

4.53/5  rDev +21.4%

I was skeptical walking into this one. A S'more Stout? *scoffs* Plus I tend to prefer imperial stouts to traditional ones. It was a recommendation from a BevMo! employee who happens to know my taste in beer very well so I had to trust his opinion.

A: I drank it from the bottle friends, it looks like the freaking picture. I gave them a high mark on this because of the eco-friendly packaging, which happens to be lighter, shatter-proof, fully opaque(prevents UV from harming the beer), and contains a food-grade liner so the metal doesn't effect the flavor.
S: Sweet, malty, caramel, small chocolate.
T: Fucking delicious. I was honestly surprised by how good this beer was. Chocolatey, malty, little bit sweet. These words don't do the balance of this beer justice.
M: With an ABV of 7.7, it truly drinks more like an imperial which was a plus for me. Thicker than your average stout, but not quite syrupy yet. Does not leave a sticky residue on the side of the bottle.
O: Base Camp impressed me. Definitely worth a try by anyone who loves stouts. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Cheers.

3.92/5  rDev +5.1%

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.71/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Devine simply Devine. The toasted marshmallow made me smile.

3.73/5  rDev 0%

3.71/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 22oz aluminum bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: extremely dark brown, nearly black; head is a finger of frothy tan foam with a moderate retention. Not bad.

Smell: relatively rich and rather chocolatey, with some alcoholic strength. Not particularly s'morey, except for the chocolate, but still a pretty good-smelling beer.

Taste: chocolate and roastiness. Bizarrely enough, I'm also definitely getting a toasted-marshmallow flavor. Unfortunately, there's also an unwelcome chemical flavor; whether that's a byproduct of fermentation or has something to do with how the do the marshmallows, I'm not sure. It's not terrible, but I probably won't go after this one again.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a huge carbonation and massive, mouth-filling creaminess. Spectacular.

Overall: I don't know if I've ever had a beer with such disparity between flavor and texture. It has its redeeming qualities, but that weird chemical taste, while mild, is just too much for me.

3.76/5  rDev +0.8%

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

Not bad at all. Tastes primarily like a decent stout: I thought the s'more taste might be overwhelming, but in fact it's the reverse: very subtle, barely present.

Flavor is solidly decent, very competently made, no off notes. A little lighter on the body/mouthfeel than I like for a stout. Finish is a bit short, light.

The can/bottle/container is awesome.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%