Pubstitute - Pour Decisions Brewing Company

good

Pour Decisions Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Scottish Ale |  3.10% ABV

(Beer added by: tempest on 12-22-2012)
Reviews by zeledonia:
4.06/5  rDev +21.6%

On-tap at the taproom, which just recently opened (as a taproom, anyway). Tasted 19 January 2013, reviewed from notes.

Pours deep rusty amber. Not much head, but great lacing.

Smell is faint. Lightly hoppy, a little woody, nutty. All of this backed by an earthy robustness.

Taste is surprisingly flavorful for such a low-ABV beer. Earthy and moist, like wet mud. Dark fruits, with a mild bitter twist. Has a couple different flavors that come through at different times, and I really like that. Gives it a surprising amount of depth and complexity.

Mouthfeel is top-notch. Light-medium body, plenty of carbonation, with a delicate soft dryness in the finish (which is really the star).

This beer is quite good, and really impressive for a true session beer. I wish more breweries made tasty sessionable beers like this one! Flavorful, varied, and very enjoyable. I found myself repeating "surprising", and that's really what this beer is.

4.15/5  rDev +24.3%

Had a glass at the brewery. Man, I'm glad to see more session-strength beer around town. I hope to start seeing this popping up in our better bars. Off the bat, it reminded me more of a porter for the roasted edge that stands out in the flavor. The aroma has a more candy-like character, with plum, dark rum and caramel. At first I expected a thicker beer from such a sweet around, but the flavor and body are balanced with just a slightly crisp and dry finish. I taste more of dry, toasty biscuit malts with that roast, and a touch of cocoa. Really, this is a very cool beer. Go get a growler.

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

2.21/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

On tap at Ward 6 in Saint Paul.

I wanted to like this beer. I like session beers. I could not finish an 8-oz serving.

It looks like a brown ale. It's brown and foamy. Yay.

But it doesn't smell like beer, and it doesn't taste like any beer I have ever enjoyed. Still, there was something familiar about it...

Then it hit me -- it smells like the boiled barley water that every restaurant in Korea serves. If only it were as pleasant to drink.

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%