Lakewood Lager - Lakewood Brewing Company

good

Lakewood Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.60% ABV

Lakewood is more than a place. It's a state of mind. Old blends with new. Traditions hook up with fresh ideas. It's the same with our Lakewood Lager. We've taken old world Vienna-Style lager and reintroduced it to beer lovers. Subtle caramel aromas, a coppery pour and a light malty sweetness paired with noble hop bitterness set this beer apart. In with the old, in with the new.

(Beer added by: Mora2000 on 10-20-2012)
4.79/5  rDev +35.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a unique one in my book.
The Lakewood Brewing Co.'s Lakewood Lager: Vienna-Style Lager.
I say unique because there aren't any Vienna Lagers found in Germany or even Austria that I know of. The only examples I remember drinking are Negra Modelo and Dos Equis. Here is a good example of how Märicans can actually revive a style dead in the lands of its origin. Thus, I feel like I'm flying blind here by reviewing this beer, for I have nothing to compare it to from Europe.

Appearance: Dark red-copper, amber red with black tints under a snow white head. The color is indicative of the presence of lots of Münchner, Wiener (Vienna) and/or Melanoiden malts. It's an exceptionally stunning color.

Aroma: I get toffee, sweet Münchner caramel, roasted and whisky malt aroma, but that last one isn't terribly strong and hard to get out of the glass. It smells somewhat like a Märzen. In my brewing experience, Wiener malt isn't as aromatic as Münchner, so that tells they may've used quite a lot of the former malt in this beer.

Flavor:
Up front: Slight bitterness, a small smack of tartness/astringency, but also a slightly roasted ham flavor, not smoked malt, but the glazed honey you get atop the ham, and the slight savoriness of umami. I also get hints of Pils malt sweetness here too. Wow, that's complex for just the front of the tongue, eh?

Mid: There's that savory glazed honey ham flavor again, some bitterness and on the sides a wallop of caramel of a burnt caramel. It's got enough bitterness here to hold your feet to the ground, keep the other flavors from getting sickly, but still staying nicely in the background like bass notes are counterpoint to a melody. Again, very complex! I'm diggin' this damn beer.

Back: All those flavors I mentioned above hold court here, too. I really get the feeling of roasted meat, an umami again, again, the feeling of bbq-ed sauce on pork or simply a Texas bbq brisket. In the back, I'm getting hit with caramel sweetness mixing in with the aforementioned flavors, the Münchner malt that makes me think this beer is veering into Märzen territory. It's not super caramelly like a great Märzen, and it's got too much bitterness and tartness/astringency here too to qualify for the Märzen moniker, but it's getting awfully close.

Aftertaste: Caramel, an astringency that leaves a crispness that lingers for quite a long time.

Mouthfeel: It's thick, it's chewy, it's crisp, it's horribly süffig and simultaneously thirst-quenching. It doesn't feel like a 4.6% beer.

Overall: Simply, WOW. I've never had a beer like this, and I want more and more. It's a terribly wonderful complex mix of flavors I've not had elsewhere. Though it's only got 25 IBU, I think the Noble hops here shine enough to keep the tartness noticeable and a wonderful counterpoint to the sweet caramel, but then there's a roasted, bbq-ed something in there that is lovely and hits the nerve endings that crave salt and umami. The mouthfeel is also a lovely contradiction of sensations: thick creamy loveliness with crisp dry tartness. The mouth can concentrate on one flavor, one mouthfeel, and then the other, then the next, and keep going back and forth into a focused point where they all become one unique flavor. This is a really unique, WOW beer. I haven't ever had anything like this and I absolutely love this beer. And it certainly feels like a beer that's got a lot more alcohol than it says on the label, by which I mean it feels like a Doppelbock or 6% Märzen. It veers into Märzen beer territory, then becomes a liquid bbq, then a Pils in it's tartness, and then back, and then whisky notes. Again, WOWOW beer, and a 4.8 of 5. I certainly didn't expect this beer to knock my beer-wow-meter off kilter, and I'm so happy it did.

boddhitree, Jun 07, 2014

Mtn, Mar 06, 2014

TX-Badger, Feb 28, 2013
3.69/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a clear reddish/orange color. A pillowing white head rises, and eventually recedes to a ring. Plenty of lace is left behind.
S: I get kind of a sulfur, DMS aroma up front. Quickly followed by toasted malts, and cereal grains. A bit of grassy hops in the finish.
T: Sweeter than I was expecting. Caramel malts followed by toasted and cereal grains. Well balanced with a touch of grassy hops in the finish.
M/D: A light to medium body. A bit on the watery side for me. I am wanting a little bit more crisp bite from the carbonation, and I am not getting it. Easy to drink and fairly enjoyable. I will be happy to finish the six pack.

A good lager for the most part. Not among the better lagers available from Texas breweries, but still very enjoyable. One of my favorite styles, and I am glad to grab a sixer.

champ103, Apr 19, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Tap at Jack Mac's.

The beer pours an orange-copper color with a white head. The aroma is very malty with some biscuit and bread notes, as well as some toffee and a bit of sugar. The flavor is also very malty. There is good toffee and caramel in the flavor, as well as some sweet biscuit malt. There is also a hint of grass. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Oct 20, 2012