2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lakewood Bourbon Barrel Temptress - Lakewood Brewing Company

Lakewood Bourbon Barrel TemptressLakewood Bourbon Barrel Temptress

Lakewood Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: ThirdEyePA on 05-11-2013)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 56 | Reviews: 6 | Show All Ratings:
MattSweatshirt

4.29/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Finally cracked my bottle.

Pours out a little more aggressively than expected. Big thick fluffy tan head constructs itself atop a dark black body. Lacing aplenty.

Served fairly warm reveals tons of barrel character on this beer. Toasted coconut is prevalent which always gets me in the mood. Vanilla, wood, chocolate, and a little roast.

Thick and smooth which I love about the Temptress. The big barrel presence transfers deliciously from the nose. A little bourbon flavor and heat in the back of the throat. Sweetness that gets the lips sticky.

So far my fav variant of this great stout. Really want that raspberry bba version now though.

03-28-2014 03:11:36 | More by MattSweatshirt
twiggamortis420

4.44/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber courtesy of fthomasl pours a rich black with a fluffy brown head. Excellent retention and lace, a good looking brew. Bonus points for a badass label.

Nose has quite the bourbon on it, lots of chocolate and a nice sweetness.

Wow, im pretty damn impressed...the bourbon character with the sweet lactose is very interesting. Lots of chocolate here...not a whole lot of wood. The mouthfeel is perfect - thick velvet, smooth and low carbonation. They had this on nitro at the brewery, I can imagine that would be even better. This is well worth seeking out. I like regular Temptress quite a bit, and this is a big improvement on that.

02-15-2014 01:12:31 | More by twiggamortis420
WTKeene

4.64/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

UPDATE:

Poured from a bottle into a Jester King "Wine" glass on 2/1/14.

Most of what I said in the old review stands, but the lack of bourbon flavor was no longer a problem for the bottled version. I got loads of bourbon vanilla flavors in both the nose and in the taste of the beer. This is the bourbon aged stout I was expecting. My tongue was actually burnt from hot coffee when I did the original review, and BBT wasn't the only beer that seemed to lose all barrel flavors when I tasted it with my burnt tongue. The normally whisky-forward Ola Dubh 16 was just as barrel-less. With my now healthy tongue, and from the bottle instead of on-tap, I'm re-rating taste from 4.00 to 4.75.

~~~
ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Enjoyed on tap at the brewery at the BB Temptress release party 12/7/13. Reviewed from notes. Served in a beautiful Bourbon Barrel Temptress 2013 snifter.

Appearance: A dark brown almost black body, with a moderate head the color of malted milk. Head sticks around for a tiny bit and leaves around some thick lacing.

Smell: Typical lactic and roasty dark chocolate smell I get from the normal Temptress. I'm not getting much in the way of bourbon character here, but it smells great anyways.

Taste: Where's the bourbon? Unfortunately a weak point, relatively speaking. Still great, lots of bitter dark chocolate and sweet, milky sugar. But I don't get a clear bourbon flavor. I don't notice any obvious difference from the regular Temptress here. Perhaps enjoyed side by side I could find the difference, but I did not have that luxury.

Mouthfeel: Thick and full bodied. The beer sticks around quite a while too, like a good stout should.

Overall: Definitely a very solid beer here. But it wasn't obvious to me that this was Bourbon barrel aged.

02-02-2014 04:11:49 | More by WTKeene
brentk56

4.24/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Arrives at the bar with a fudge brown color capped by a mocha head; the lacing action was reasonably good

Smell: Milk chocolate aromatics, with the lactose and dark chocolate elements combining with a hint of Bourbon (the Bourbon grows more distinct as the beer warms)

Taste: Sweet chocolate flavor from the combination of the chocolate malt and the lactose with the Bourbon providing a hint in the finish

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation

Overall: I expected a bit more Bourbon flavor and while it was subtle, it developed as the beer warmed; nicely blended and very drinkable

12-25-2013 22:48:55 | More by brentk56
SavvyStudent

4.66/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours pitch black, nice head with obvious lacing. Looks like a solid stout so far

S - bourbon up front distinguishing this from the normal temptress. Vanilla, cocoa, little mild chocolate and coffee on the back.

T - It matches the greatness of the smell 100%. Bourbon, oak, coffee and a little stinger milk chocolate than on nose.

M - sits heavy as a stout should with carbonation that keeps it bright

O - Temptress is one of the beers that I believe puts Dallas on the beer map an this twist is an addition to the greatness. Will not be bottled until 2014 but worth searching out for sure.

12-20-2013 00:58:26 | More by SavvyStudent
ThirdEyePA

4.64/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours midnight black with a cocoa colored head. Very nice lacing and strong head retention.

S - Up front there is definitely bourbon, vanilla, milk chocolate, and you can smell some sweet malt and subtle hint of coffee beans

T - The taste is phenomenal! It follows suit of the nose with the bourbon, vanilla, oak, milk chocolate, sweet malt, and there is a very mild coffee presence as well

M - The mouthfeel is just a touch thin if I'm being picky, but on the other hand I think it adds to the drinkability. I drank a couple of these and they went down so smooth. Especially for a 9+ ABV

O - Overall, I believe this one is right up there with the best barrel aged beers Texas has to offer. Lakewood has really made something great here. I highly recommend seeking this one out.

05-11-2013 22:34:36 | More by ThirdEyePA