Lakewood Bourbon Barrel Temptress - Lakewood Brewing Company

Lakewood Bourbon Barrel TemptressLakewood Bourbon Barrel Temptress

Lakewood Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: ThirdEyePA on 05-11-2013)
Reviews by WTKeene:
4.75/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

RE REVIEW:

Drinking a 2013 on tap at the 2014 release party.

The barrel is really strong in this, loads of bourbon, sticky on the lips. The beer has some awesome dark fruit stuff going on in it too I haven't seen before in the 4-5 times I've had this, almost barleywine like. Vanilla comes through strong too, which is great. Top notch stuff here for sure. This aged fantastically. Glad I still have two bottles of it left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATE:

Poured from a bottle into a Jester King "Wine" glass on 2/1/14.

Most of what I said in the old review stands, but the lack of bourbon flavor was no longer a problem for the bottled version. I got loads of bourbon vanilla flavors in both the nose and in the taste of the beer. This is the bourbon aged stout I was expecting. My tongue was actually burnt from hot coffee when I did the original review, and BBT wasn't the only beer that seemed to lose all barrel flavors when I tasted it with my burnt tongue. The normally whisky-forward Ola Dubh 16 was just as barrel-less. With my now healthy tongue, and from the bottle instead of on-tap, I'm re-rating taste from 4.00 to 4.75.

~~~
ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Enjoyed on tap at the brewery at the BB Temptress release party 12/7/13. Reviewed from notes. Served in a beautiful Bourbon Barrel Temptress 2013 snifter.

Appearance: A dark brown almost black body, with a moderate head the color of malted milk. Head sticks around for a tiny bit and leaves around some thick lacing.

Smell: Typical lactic and roasty dark chocolate smell I get from the normal Temptress. I'm not getting much in the way of bourbon character here, but it smells great anyways.

Taste: Where's the bourbon? Unfortunately a weak point, relatively speaking. Still great, lots of bitter dark chocolate and sweet, milky sugar. But I don't get a clear bourbon flavor. I don't notice any obvious difference from the regular Temptress here. Perhaps enjoyed side by side I could find the difference, but I did not have that luxury.

Mouthfeel: Thick and full bodied. The beer sticks around quite a while too, like a good stout should.

Overall: Definitely a very solid beer here. But it wasn't obvious to me that this was Bourbon barrel aged.

4.53/5  rDev +1.8%

4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

Very dark stout. Leaves a roasted carmel taste in the mouth. High ABV so pace yourself.

4.3/5  rDev -3.4%

4.44/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber courtesy of fthomasl pours a rich black with a fluffy brown head. Excellent retention and lace, a good looking brew. Bonus points for a badass label.

Nose has quite the bourbon on it, lots of chocolate and a nice sweetness.

Wow, im pretty damn impressed...the bourbon character with the sweet lactose is very interesting. Lots of chocolate here...not a whole lot of wood. The mouthfeel is perfect - thick velvet, smooth and low carbonation. They had this on nitro at the brewery, I can imagine that would be even better. This is well worth seeking out. I like regular Temptress quite a bit, and this is a big improvement on that.

Lakewood Bourbon Barrel Temptress from Lakewood Brewing Company