Weißbier - Prost Brewing Company

WeißbierWeißbier

Prost Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.20% ABV

With flavors of banana and clove this Bavarian specialty is well known within our market. Our head brewer has won a number of medals with Hefeweizen including: Silver in 2009 and 2010 and Gold in 2011 at the GABF in the Southern German Hefeweizen category. As well he won the best of show with Hefeweizen at the Colorado state fair in 2011. (ABV 4.3% 12 IBU'S)

(Beer added by: brentk56 on 08-11-2012)

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Draft served in the awesome, appropriate glass at the brewery. Prost’s Weisbier is a gorgeous, glowing orange-golden in color with a thick, rich sheet white head that retains well and leaves heavy lace. This was a fantastic hefeweizen, and easily in my top tier of both domestic and international versions. A flavorful wheat body brings a balanced sweetness and bready character with a generous hand of banana and clove - rich, round, and delicious. Lots of yeast and a little secondary spice complexity. Grassy hops and flits of dried citrus. Creamy, full carbonation and a moderate body. All kinds of things going right with this beer.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

3.89/5  rDev -1.5%

A beer brewed for summer.

Prost's Weißbier was my favorite of the four brews I tasted on my visit to the brewery because of its freshness, wholesomeness and subdued sweetness – and my non-beer-drinking girlfriend loved it, which was as nice surprise.

It pours a cidery, hazy gold with a big, fluffy head with good stay and smells like candy bananas and fresh orange juice. The smell is sweeter than the taste, although I got a fair amount of citrus sweetness balanced by a balanced, funky, malty mouthfeel.

Good on its own, but I would've loved it with some food or sunshine.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.81/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Ok, this is one of the best beers I have ever had in my life. It is a perfect balance of wheat, banana, cloves, and Bavarian style brewed cloudiness. It is clean, smooth (not crisp), and I cant explain it but I love this beer. On my quest to find the best Hefe in the world this summer, this one may be it. 2 Growlers down and 1 in the fridge.

4.29/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

0.5l pour to a weizen glass.
ABV 4.3%, IBU 12

My wife and I visited the Prost taproom on Sunday (6/23) and we both agreed this was our favorite of the 5 samples we tried, so we split a glass ($5).

A: Hazy golden with a coppery tone at the core, capped by an impossibly white crown of 1.5-finger dense foam. Good carbonation crawling up the glass, good head retention, pretty lacing - everything you want in a hefeweizen.

S: Loaded with all the banana/clove ester goodness that the best of the Bavarian Hefeweizens exhibit. Sweetness, wheat bread, some bubble gum/candy - all are present and aptly strong.

T: Spot-on flavor, big clove and banana elicited from this yeast. Vague citrus amidst loads of wheat bread/grass/hay. Respectful and authentic to to the best of the Germans.

M: Somewhat creamy, well-carbonated (the gas-inducing/burping sort) and lip-smackingly malty. Sweet finish with just enough bittering to give some balance. Lighter-medium body, but still has a chewier finish.

O: A lovely, low-octane, highly-flavored weissbier - perfect for sipping on a gradually warming early afternoon. Delicious and crave-worthy. Thankful that they know better than to 'ruin' this with a lemon wedge and such... really great on its own. Prost!

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

4.61/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at the brewery and served in a proper Weiss glass.

I'm going to keep this simple. This is one of the best US Weiss beers I've had the pleasure of drinking. The appearance is spot on, with good haze and a thick eggshell cap that sticks with the beer the whole way down the glass. Heavy banana and clove aromas greet the nose, followed by bready raw grains. The aromas flow nicely into the flavor, where they're joined by a dense body and lots of soft carbonation. Overall, this was a great beer. I will definitely have it again the next time I stop in.

Weißbier from Prost Brewing Company