Weißbier - Prost Brewing Company

Prost Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: brentk56 on 08-11-2012

With flavors of banana and clove this Bavarian specialty is well known within our market. Our head brewer has won a number of medals with Hefeweizen including: Silver in 2009 and 2010 and Gold in 2011 at the GABF in the Southern German Hefeweizen category. As well he won the best of show with Hefeweizen at the Colorado state fair in 2011. (ABV 4.3% 12 IBU'S)

3.46/5  rDev -12.4%

The Prost Brewery is beginning to grow on me for various reasons. Their Dunkel and Pils are sublime, but the one that always seems to irritate me is the WeiBier. I have had the Weibier on numerous occasions over different months and it never tastes the same. I was told this was due to brew temps changing. I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Sometimes the clove taste is barely there while other times the banana aroma is not present at all. The last time through it was almost acrid in taste, with a steel after taste and harsh finish. Not what one would expect from a now established brewery.
I have a strong passion towards Weissen's in general and really want to see Prost get this one right. After all it is a GABF winner.
Consistency in brewing will make this beer a home run, and I hope Prost can get and keep it there.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Draft served in the awesome, appropriate glass at the brewery. Prost’s Weisbier is a gorgeous, glowing orange-golden in color with a thick, rich sheet white head that retains well and leaves heavy lace. This was a fantastic hefeweizen, and easily in my top tier of both domestic and international versions. A flavorful wheat body brings a balanced sweetness and bready character with a generous hand of banana and clove - rich, round, and delicious. Lots of yeast and a little secondary spice complexity. Grassy hops and flits of dried citrus. Creamy, full carbonation and a moderate body. All kinds of things going right with this beer.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

A beer brewed for summer.

Prost's Weißbier was my favorite of the four brews I tasted on my visit to the brewery because of its freshness, wholesomeness and subdued sweetness – and my non-beer-drinking girlfriend loved it, which was as nice surprise.

It pours a cidery, hazy gold with a big, fluffy head with good stay and smells like candy bananas and fresh orange juice. The smell is sweeter than the taste, although I got a fair amount of citrus sweetness balanced by a balanced, funky, malty mouthfeel.

Good on its own, but I would've loved it with some food or sunshine.

4.79/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Ok, this is one of the best beers I have ever had in my life. It is a perfect balance of wheat, banana, cloves, and Bavarian style brewed cloudiness. It is clean, smooth (not crisp), and I cant explain it but I love this beer. On my quest to find the best Hefe in the world this summer, this one may be it. 2 Growlers down and 1 in the fridge.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

0.5l pour to a weizen glass.
ABV 4.3%, IBU 12

My wife and I visited the Prost taproom on Sunday (6/23) and we both agreed this was our favorite of the 5 samples we tried, so we split a glass ($5).

A: Hazy golden with a coppery tone at the core, capped by an impossibly white crown of 1.5-finger dense foam. Good carbonation crawling up the glass, good head retention, pretty lacing - everything you want in a hefeweizen.

S: Loaded with all the banana/clove ester goodness that the best of the Bavarian Hefeweizens exhibit. Sweetness, wheat bread, some bubble gum/candy - all are present and aptly strong.

T: Spot-on flavor, big clove and banana elicited from this yeast. Vague citrus amidst loads of wheat bread/grass/hay. Respectful and authentic to to the best of the Germans.

M: Somewhat creamy, well-carbonated (the gas-inducing/burping sort) and lip-smackingly malty. Sweet finish with just enough bittering to give some balance. Lighter-medium body, but still has a chewier finish.

O: A lovely, low-octane, highly-flavored weissbier - perfect for sipping on a gradually warming early afternoon. Delicious and crave-worthy. Thankful that they know better than to 'ruin' this with a lemon wedge and such... really great on its own. Prost!

Weißbier from Prost Brewing Company