Beerlao Lager - Lao Brewery Co.

Beerlao LagerBeerlao Lager

good

pDev: 20%
Lao Brewery Co. visit their website
Laos

Euro Pale Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 03-01-2003

Beerlao is brewed from the best local rice and overseas high quality malt giving it a unique taste. Beerlao was launched in 1973 and has become the best selling and leading brand in Laos. It was also awarded gold medals by various international competitions. Beerlao is one of the most successful exports and is currently available in 13 countries worldwide.
to view more.
Ratings: 185 | Reviews: 101
2.41/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

I was lucky enough to indulge in part of a 500 ml can. Beerlao's best characteristic is that it's relatively inoffensive. However, Beerlao doesn't have much flavor to begin with. It's clean and gets you a buzz, which I suspect is better than drinking directly from the local water supply in Vientaine.

2.9/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Bottle drank at SEA Restaurant in Rochester, NY.

I drank this one out of the bottle, but I'm fairly sure this one is light, pale yellow, and fizzy.

Smells a bit metallic and corny. Doesn't smell like a whole lot else. I doesn't smell offensive per se, kinda just smells bland like any other mass market lager.

This has an interesting bitterness that's likely from the rice, and a bit of something metallic, with some corny and grassy flavors as well. It's pretty watery and bland, but at least it's not offensive. There's almost nothing to it, though.

This is light bodied, with a crisp, carbonated mouthfeel. The carbonation level is pretty high. I guess it's sorta refreshing, it's kinda like drinking beer-ish water.

Not horrible, but not unlike any other shitty international light lager.

4.23/5  rDev +38.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I haven't drank Beer Lao for over 10 years, and I came across it in 99 Cents store. They have a sticker on the can now that denotes it's Gluten Free. Did some research and found out that Beer Lao is made from Thai's Jasmine Rice. I'm not sure about this Gluten Free fad, but didn't even realize what was the ingredients. Finished a whole 6-pack over the weekend.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Spend a couple months in Laos for work and got to know this beer fairly well. Compare to the local Thai beer offerings like Chang, this is definitely a step above. Keep your expectations low, and you will be happy. Taste is similar to Asahi or other Asian beer with rice adjunct. However, one of the villages I stayed in did not have refrigeration, and we drank these beers at 80 degrees in the evening. I couldn't do that with a Bud or Miller, so I give this beer a little love. Or maybe it is nostalgia.

3.42/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Sampled at Thip Khao, Washington, DC.

No review needed, it's an Asian lager like any other. It is a good one however, near as good as Singha, and went really well with spicy Laotian food. Try it if you see it, but no need to seek it out.

3.4/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear pale gold with two fat fingers of pure white head that lasts. Still has a small white head after most of the way down. Leave a lot of lace on the sides.
Smell is lightly malty and a bit of pungency from the rice. No skunk.
Taste is sweet malt and rice with a nice twang of noble hop bitterness in the finish.
Medium body and ample carbonation. Finishes dry and crisp. Refreshing.
Overall an excellent example of the Euro lager style. Better than most I have tried.
I am surprised to be honest I wasn't expecting much. From a handsome 500ml can.

3.75/5  rDev +23%

Experienced in : Luang Prabang, Saigon
Appealing to me : Very good taste, refreshing, I like the after taste
Less appealing to me : - - -

I like this beer and will look forward to my next drink.

3.04/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pilsner glass. Had a pale yellow color and a clear texture. There was a big, creamy, long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: A little bit of skunkiness in the aroma, along with malt, hops, and grain.

T: Tasted of malt, grain, light hops, the aforementioned skunkiness, and a light grassy quality. There's a metallic harshness (not overly present), along with a thinness that doesn't serve this flavor well. Not terrible, but not great either.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a slightly thin and watery finish. Light-bodied.

O: For what I can only assume is a mass-produced beer, this is OK, but hardly memorable.

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

I decided on a lager for lunch, so I pulled out this single I bought a few weeks ago. One of my life 'beer' goals is to have a beer from every state (41 so far) and at least 100 countries (36), so when I saw this Beerlao Lager, from Laos, I had to try it.
There was a nice, long lasting head when I poured it into the glass, with plenty of carbonation rising to the top. Many of these type of beers have heads that fade quickly, so I was impressed that it lasted almost as long as it took to drink it. The aroma was slightly sweet, expected from a beer made with rice & malt. I was prepared for the worst when I took my first swig, but instead I was pleasantly surprised. I would equate the taste with Budweiser. For an import from Laos that may have been months old, and could have suffered the consequences of traveling half around the world, this lager was still fresh tasting and enjoyable!

3.02/5  rDev -1%

5% ABV per the label.

Pours a hazy yellow with a foamy white head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of sweet malt, grain, and corn flake aromas. Taste is much the same with malt, grain, grass, fruit, and metallic flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that is drinkable for what it is, but the aromas are pretty much like any other mass market lager out there.

Serving type: can.

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Great lager for Asia. Easily one of the best available around here in my honest opinion.

3.01/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Another "exotic" lager.
Pours with a typical golden color, not completely clear but almost. The head is average and quickly dying.
The aroma is quite gentle, although I could point out some hops and grains (probably rice) as well.
The taste is similarly gentle with a slight bitterness (no sweetness here) and with a surprisingly nice bittery aftertaste - not watery.
A very nice one, must say.

2.28/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Golden color with a two finger fluffy head with low retention.
Initially it brings more bready malt than average for the style with hints of booze, sulfur, honey, floral hops and non-malted cereals.
Flavor of malt sweetness and cereals with hints of booze, lemon, floral hops and oxidation.
Light to watery body with good carbonation.
If on one hand, it is hoppier and uses rice as opposed to corn; on another hand it has a strong oxidation and sulfuric notes. Don’t let it warm, I started with a higher note and was forced to downgrade it along the degustation.

3.59/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had in Beijing.
330ml bottle poured into a pint glass.
Born on date: 1/18/13.
ABV: 5%
Ingredients list water, barley, rice, yeast, hops.

A- Light watery yellow look of a adjunct lager. However the two-finger frothy head actually managed to stick around for a few minutes. Lots of carbonation rushing to the surface.

S- Grain, lemon, a bit of sourness.

T- More bready grain. A hint of peppery lemom. A bit of sulfur.

M- Not as thin as the appearance suggests. Prickly carbonation.

Good carbonation along with a slight acidity make this a very drinkable and refreshing beer. Great on a hot summer day with a plate of spicy peanuts.

2.42/5  rDev -20.7%

A: Pours a pale golden color with a good head that fades to some lacing.

S: Mild aroma of some citrus and a bit of malt sweetness, just a bit musty.

T: Taste is quite bland with some mild citrus and malt sweetness with a trace of fruit in the background. Just a bit of bitterness and a fairly clean finish.

F: Light body, fairly smooth but quite bland.

O: Goes best with a tropical climate.

3.35/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This is our last beer from Lao Brewery. There were only two on the list. I can't imagine craft brewing is a big business in Laos. I do, however, like beers that use rice in the brewing process. I was curious to learn they serve this warm over ice in Laos. I am drinking it cold from the fridge, but if and when we are in Laos I will order it room temperature. Drink it like the locals do. They also mention the local food, and that would be my favorite part! I don't have big expectations for this one, but here goes nothing.

In the Glass: It looks like a typical domestic beer. It does have a nice head, and I am seeing a TON of tiny bubbles rushing to the top. It almost looks like champagne below the surface.

Nose: That is what I'm talking about. This smells great. It has a nice creamy aroma and a hint of sweetness coming through from the rice. Speaking of rice, I LOVE the Flying Fish Wild Rice DIPA that recently came out. This isn't an IPA, but will be (I promise) easy to drink leaving a nice somewhat sweet aftertaste begging for another drink. Let's try it!

Flavor: There are times I sit in a bar and say, "What should I order?" I did that on Sunday at Papago Brewing Company. I wish I had this flavor on my mind when I was trying to order. They didn't have any Euro pale lagers on tap, but still. This is a creamy bottle of deliciousness. The sweetness really comes through here, and like I said… it is VERY easy to drink. This would taste great on a hot summer day. See, why don't golf courses have a Beerlao cart?

Mouthfeel: This is my favorite part of this beer. It is nice, somewhat thick, and creamy. The beer leaves a nice thin layer of sweetness on the palate. That is coming from the rice. I would love to see a brewing company make a batch of beer with rice. I have no idea how they do it… now I must find out. I wonder if Steve McFate at Fate Brewing Company here in Scottsdale would let me work with him on a wild rice beer. Like I have time for that!

Aftertaste: Those same sweet notes carry over, and every time I swallow it begins to dry. (The burp is pretty boring. Tasted more like my lunch than it did the beer I am drinking.) This is a beer, regardless of the ABV, is easy to drink and I can see myself drinking a pitcher of this. I would also like to visit Laos for that food. I am also going to look into other Laos brewing companies. This is good. It's not great, but I could drink a bunch of this carbonated sweet nectar. Yummy!

3.66/5  rDev +20%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Golden with a slight orange tinge, almost no visible carbonation, filtered, 1 finger of creamy slightly yellow head. Fair lacing.

S: Malt, hops, very faint, very American Adjunct Lagerish.

T: Malty, slight hops, thick and somewhat bready, I get a hit of yeast that fades fast near the end that is slightly sourdough.

M: Medium body, medium low carbonation. Thicker than I’d thought it would be.

O: Good body, nice taste but not outstanding. Certainly great for this part of the world. Hits the spot and is cheap for this area, cool can. Goes great with pub food, and would be great with Lao/ Thai fare.

2.97/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A: The beer is clear light straw yellow in color and has a moderate to high amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that died down but left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of sweet malts are present in the nose.
T: The overall taste has a slight bit of sweetness with flavors of corn and rice as well as a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied (but not watery) and somewhat clean on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is rather drinkable but nothing really stands out about the taste that would want to make me want to try this again.

3.09/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a pint glass.

pours a crystal clear light straw yellow with a one finger white head. I was impressed by the head retention and the pretty substantial lacing on the sides of the glass. Quite nice.

Aroma is very grassy with just a little hint of cooked vegetables and metal. Some lemon sneakinig through as well but overall, it is a bit on the weak side.

More bread and grass on the aroma with really no hint of metal. Some lemon sneaking through along with a little DMS although it remains nicely restrained. Mouthfeel is quite soft averall with just a touch of sweetness leading to a dry finish.

Overall, another run of the mill Europ pale lager although this one is better than average. Paired really nice with curry and pleasant to drink on a hot day.

2.8/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

640 mL bottle at a restaurant in Savannakhet. Served with a branded rocks glass. From notes.

A - Dehydrated urine colour of a medium yellowy golden. Two finger soapy white head faded but not too fast. Mild carbonation. Minimal spotty lace, half finger retention.

S - Corn, sweet but not too offensive. Bubblegum. Grainy. Doesn't offend as much as some from the region. Mild hop and grass.

T - Grainy, bubblegum again, a little corn.

M - Mild carbonation, medium body, a little oily. More viscous than it should be.

O/D - From the bottle it's much better, with the bubblegum and grass coming through a lot more. Not a poorly made lager by regional standards and for the style, it can hold its own. Drinkable as the flavour can hold its own just barely. Not bad.

2.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance: Golden and fairly transparent…head is basically white and doesn’t last long…there is definitely some sediment floating about on the inside…(2.5/5)

Smell: Grassy and grainy…very wheaty…there is a skunkiness to it…(2.5/5)

Taste: Grainy and bitter initially…it’s a fuller lager with bready malts dominating…some grassy hops help balance the malt but it’s malty…reminds me of a european style lager… mild bitter aftertaste…(3/5)

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation does bring the grassy notes…it’s pretty balanced so it’s not overly malty nor is there much bitter hops flavor…light and crisp…there is a bit of bitter/skunk aftertaste, but that’s expected for this beer…(3/5)

Overall: While this is definitely not my normal choice of beer style, it’s not bad…it’s crisp and flavorful without lingering or dominating my palette…I would drink this beer with some guacamole and chips around a poker table…like I said, not my normal style, but for a lager, it’s good…(3/5)

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a pale yellow amber. Thin film on top with a ring around the glass leaving a bit off slippery lacing. Faint aroma of biscuit malt and wheat. Taste is mild, but pleasant sweet bready malt with a somewhat dry crackery finish with a slight hop kick. Not much here, but overall well balanced and refreshing to drink. I'd definitely consider this again as a beer with dinner.

3.68/5  rDev +20.7%

Beerlao has a thick, white head, an initially clear, yellow-golden appearance (which, when one swishes and pours out the bottom third, has lots of little brown flecks floating about), with streaming bubbles and a bit of lacing down the glass. The aroma is of sweet, mild barley malt, and the taste is of sweetness, some sourness, sugar, malt, cracker, paper, grain husk, alcohol, and a touch of hop bitterness to balance it. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and the finish is crisp, clean, refreshing, and highly drinkable. Overall, this is a very good beer. Try some!

RJT

3.47/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: reasonable light brown bottle, chinsy and sparkly south-east asian label, if that's your thing...

Appearance: decent, light straw with average head, reasonable lacing.

Aroma: malt, grassy hops and rice grains. Quite light.

Taste: light and bready malts, quite sweet rice undertone with some grassy hops. Unlike most Asian beers with rice for filler, this one actually adds a nice sweet flavour.

Aftertaste: disappears quickly, some rice sweetness remains.

Mouth feel: quite clean, a little heavier than a lot of lagers, but still light-to-medium body. Mid carbonation. Quite nice.

Overall: quite a surprise. I expected this beer to be awful thanks to its origins and the bottle, but it turned out to be quite good. Decent lager with an unusual rice sweetness undertone, as opposed to the rice simply being filler in most Asian beers.

2.08/5  rDev -31.8%

I had this one in Ventiane. Pours clear light golden with a small white head. Aroma is nearly nothing. Taste is mild sweet grainy, thin body, some wet paper as well. Definitely nothing special here. A locally popular rice beer that in my opinion is just something cold to drink.

to view more.
Beerlao Lager from Lao Brewery Co.