Beerlao Lager - Lao Brewery Co.

Beerlao LagerBeerlao Lager

good

pDev: 20%
Lao Brewery Co. visit their website
Laos

Euro Pale Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 03-01-2003

Beerlao is brewed from the best local rice and overseas high quality malt giving it a unique taste. Beerlao was launched in 1973 and has become the best selling and leading brand in Laos. It was also awarded gold medals by various international competitions. Beerlao is one of the most successful exports and is currently available in 13 countries worldwide.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beerlao Lager Alström Bros

3.59/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had in Beijing.
330ml bottle poured into a pint glass.
Born on date: 1/18/13.
ABV: 5%
Ingredients list water, barley, rice, yeast, hops.

A- Light watery yellow look of a adjunct lager. However the two-finger frothy head actually managed to stick around for a few minutes. Lots of carbonation rushing to the surface.

S- Grain, lemon, a bit of sourness.

T- More bready grain. A hint of peppery lemom. A bit of sulfur.

M- Not as thin as the appearance suggests. Prickly carbonation.

Good carbonation along with a slight acidity make this a very drinkable and refreshing beer. Great on a hot summer day with a plate of spicy peanuts.

2.42/5  rDev -20.7%

A: Pours a pale golden color with a good head that fades to some lacing.

S: Mild aroma of some citrus and a bit of malt sweetness, just a bit musty.

T: Taste is quite bland with some mild citrus and malt sweetness with a trace of fruit in the background. Just a bit of bitterness and a fairly clean finish.

F: Light body, fairly smooth but quite bland.

O: Goes best with a tropical climate.

3.35/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This is our last beer from Lao Brewery. There were only two on the list. I can't imagine craft brewing is a big business in Laos. I do, however, like beers that use rice in the brewing process. I was curious to learn they serve this warm over ice in Laos. I am drinking it cold from the fridge, but if and when we are in Laos I will order it room temperature. Drink it like the locals do. They also mention the local food, and that would be my favorite part! I don't have big expectations for this one, but here goes nothing.

In the Glass: It looks like a typical domestic beer. It does have a nice head, and I am seeing a TON of tiny bubbles rushing to the top. It almost looks like champagne below the surface.

Nose: That is what I'm talking about. This smells great. It has a nice creamy aroma and a hint of sweetness coming through from the rice. Speaking of rice, I LOVE the Flying Fish Wild Rice DIPA that recently came out. This isn't an IPA, but will be (I promise) easy to drink leaving a nice somewhat sweet aftertaste begging for another drink. Let's try it!

Flavor: There are times I sit in a bar and say, "What should I order?" I did that on Sunday at Papago Brewing Company. I wish I had this flavor on my mind when I was trying to order. They didn't have any Euro pale lagers on tap, but still. This is a creamy bottle of deliciousness. The sweetness really comes through here, and like I said… it is VERY easy to drink. This would taste great on a hot summer day. See, why don't golf courses have a Beerlao cart?

Mouthfeel: This is my favorite part of this beer. It is nice, somewhat thick, and creamy. The beer leaves a nice thin layer of sweetness on the palate. That is coming from the rice. I would love to see a brewing company make a batch of beer with rice. I have no idea how they do it… now I must find out. I wonder if Steve McFate at Fate Brewing Company here in Scottsdale would let me work with him on a wild rice beer. Like I have time for that!

Aftertaste: Those same sweet notes carry over, and every time I swallow it begins to dry. (The burp is pretty boring. Tasted more like my lunch than it did the beer I am drinking.) This is a beer, regardless of the ABV, is easy to drink and I can see myself drinking a pitcher of this. I would also like to visit Laos for that food. I am also going to look into other Laos brewing companies. This is good. It's not great, but I could drink a bunch of this carbonated sweet nectar. Yummy!

3.66/5  rDev +20%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Golden with a slight orange tinge, almost no visible carbonation, filtered, 1 finger of creamy slightly yellow head. Fair lacing.

S: Malt, hops, very faint, very American Adjunct Lagerish.

T: Malty, slight hops, thick and somewhat bready, I get a hit of yeast that fades fast near the end that is slightly sourdough.

M: Medium body, medium low carbonation. Thicker than I’d thought it would be.

O: Good body, nice taste but not outstanding. Certainly great for this part of the world. Hits the spot and is cheap for this area, cool can. Goes great with pub food, and would be great with Lao/ Thai fare.

2.97/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A: The beer is clear light straw yellow in color and has a moderate to high amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that died down but left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of sweet malts are present in the nose.
T: The overall taste has a slight bit of sweetness with flavors of corn and rice as well as a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied (but not watery) and somewhat clean on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is rather drinkable but nothing really stands out about the taste that would want to make me want to try this again.

2.25/5  rDev -26.2%

2.5/5  rDev -18%

3.09/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a pint glass.

pours a crystal clear light straw yellow with a one finger white head. I was impressed by the head retention and the pretty substantial lacing on the sides of the glass. Quite nice.

Aroma is very grassy with just a little hint of cooked vegetables and metal. Some lemon sneakinig through as well but overall, it is a bit on the weak side.

More bread and grass on the aroma with really no hint of metal. Some lemon sneaking through along with a little DMS although it remains nicely restrained. Mouthfeel is quite soft averall with just a touch of sweetness leading to a dry finish.

Overall, another run of the mill Europ pale lager although this one is better than average. Paired really nice with curry and pleasant to drink on a hot day.

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

2.8/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

640 mL bottle at a restaurant in Savannakhet. Served with a branded rocks glass. From notes.

A - Dehydrated urine colour of a medium yellowy golden. Two finger soapy white head faded but not too fast. Mild carbonation. Minimal spotty lace, half finger retention.

S - Corn, sweet but not too offensive. Bubblegum. Grainy. Doesn't offend as much as some from the region. Mild hop and grass.

T - Grainy, bubblegum again, a little corn.

M - Mild carbonation, medium body, a little oily. More viscous than it should be.

O/D - From the bottle it's much better, with the bubblegum and grass coming through a lot more. Not a poorly made lager by regional standards and for the style, it can hold its own. Drinkable as the flavour can hold its own just barely. Not bad.

2.75/5  rDev -9.8%

Beerlao Lager from Lao Brewery Co.