Buffalo Trace Barrel-Aged Nihilist - Mountain Sun Pub & Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Mountain Sun Pub & Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: jmkratt on 02-23-2011)
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

To be honest, this one wasn't too much different than the regular Nihilist. Nice looking, dark ruby and black plum. Lacing thinned and didn't come back all that much.
The difference between this and the reg is that this one is a bit smoother. The caramel and vanilla you usually get from BA stuff is very light and subtle. This doesn't have much of the BA flavors.
Toasted bread and dark plum. Nice bite in the middle. Grassy hints on the finish, a bit nutty.

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

On-tap at Vine Street Pub in Denver for Stout Month.

Literature on the beer:
"Our 2010 Nihilist aged for three months in a Buffalo Trace Bourbon Barrel. Stout Month 2011 will be the debut of this complex dark ale. Subtle flavors of Oak and Vanilla compliment the deep roasted malt profile of the Nihilist."

A - The beer was poured to an 8oz mini-snifter glass. The beer is deep dark black with black edges. A nice brown head with good retention and excellent lacing.

S - The beer had a very nice and balanced aroma which didn't kill the nose with too much alcohol, roast, bourbon, or barrel flavors characteristic of so many bourbon barrel stouts. Very nice blend of vanilla, earthy hops, roasted malt, and chocolate. Hides the alcohol extremely well.

T - Similar to the nose the flavor is much more refined than what I am used to for bourbon barrel stouts. The beer starts with a nice roasted malt flavor mixed with a bit of coffee, vanilla, oak, and chocolate. It develops into a complex middle with a bit of mild earthy hops (Chinook and Amarillo) as well as a noticeable fruity character with hints of cherry and orange on the palette. The beer finishes so smooth with a nice mild bitterness and roast flavors. Alcohol is hidden so well I would never have guessed it was so strong. The bourbon barrel adds some complexity but doesn't dominate the palette. Very very nice.

M - The beer is very smooth with good carbonation. Full bodied. The beer finishes dry with a palette full of roast.

D - Exceptional.

Overall, this was an outstanding beer. I know they had limited quantities of it so I was very happy to be able to sample it. Truly an outstanding beer.

Reviewed on: 02-23-2011 20:09:10

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

When I heard this one was on tap a couple days back at the Vine Street Pub, as part of stout month, I made quick plans to run over to try it. Poured into the snifter a deep, rich black color with a nice brown head. Aromas of vanilla, oak, chocolate and roasted malts. Full bodied, with flavors of bourbon, oak, vanilla and roasted malt.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

I've been chasing down the Mountain Sun Nihilist for a year. When I saw that they had tapped a barrel aged Nihilist I made lunch plans with jmkratt to make it happen and I was not disappointed.

The Barrel-Aged Nihilist was poured in to a 8 oz mini snifter and after my first swig I determined that the second luckiest participant at that moment was the glass it self. This stuff is oil black as expected, essentially no head because of the careful and plentiful pour. Well balanced, subtle smells of malts, chocolate, vanilla and some bourbon.

While enjoying my the Barrel-Aged Nihilist I described it as a smooth velvety slide of goodness. I'll stick with that. It has positive characteristics from the aging in the bourbon barrels but smooth and well balanced. Roasted malty introduction with chocolate, vanilla and some sweeter undertones. It finished with a slight bitterness but on par for what the beer is...cool, calm and collected.

The drinkability of this beer exceptional. The bourbon barrel aging is not overwhelming but refined and truly a positive characteristic. I enjoyed my first 8 oz pour that even with the incredible selection available (including '09 Abyss) I ordered another. Exceptional offering by Mountain Sun, a brewery I continued to be impressed by. Cheers!

Buffalo Trace Barrel-Aged Nihilist from Mountain Sun Pub & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.