Scruffy's Smoked Alt - Cedar Creek Brewery

good

Cedar Creek Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Mora2000 on 10-13-2012)
Reviews by GMB:
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

I've been looking forward to trying Scruffy's Smoked Alt since I picked it up last week. Smoked Altbier ("Alt") is a great idea. A traditional Alt's flavor profile--nutty, toasted malts in front, supported by muted fruity, dry, crisp hoppy flavors-- should complement smoked malty flavors nicely. I'm expecting flavors like hickory-smoked cashews and almonds and citrus-marinated barbecued meats.

A standard pour yields a dark amber brew and a very tall (3+ fingers) head of foam. The head is tall, but not viscous. Its fizzy body disappears too quickly, but does leave behind some patches (not rings) of fizzy lace on the sides of the glass. Bubbles are medium in size and evenly dispersed in the body.

The nose is as complex as some of the better rauchbiers/smoked beers I've had. Smoked aromas are present, but don't overpower. I appreciate toasted caramel, seared bacon, maple, and very mild notes of citrus.

The taste more or less follows the nose. Caramel, dark toffee, and roasted almonds and cashews up front, smoked meat in the middle. The smoked meats continue into the back end, where they're met with some bitter citrus-rind flavors and lingering bitterness. Think charred pork belly and orange rind slowly smoked over oak chips. Unfortunately, these intriguing flavors are let down entirely by the beer's watery mouthfeel and fizzy, sometimes abrasive froth. The beer was nearly flat by the last few sips of this 16 oz. can. Darn.

On the whole, Scruffy's Smoked Alt is an excellent smoked beer. It incorporates smokey flavors into what is ultimately a crisp, drinkable ale. The can tells us that the brewers have aimed to create a smoke beer that can be enjoyed with food. I can understand why. The flavor of most rauchbier/smoked beers is so bold that any attempt to pair the beers with food ends up futile. The smokiness in Scruffy's Smoked Alt is subdued enough that the beer should pair well with acidic and rich items.

GMB, Oct 14, 2013

SmellsofMahagony, Mar 28, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

On tap at the Untapped Festival.

The beer pours an amber-brown color with a white head. The aroma has a lot of smoke in it, as well as a hint of toffee. The flavor is more of the same. The meaty smoke really comes through strongly, with some toffee and caramel, as well as some earth from the hops. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Oct 13, 2012

Westyn, Aug 05, 2014

PATAKACHANGOLOCO, Sep 21, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can poured into oversized tulip glass.

A - Pours a dark cloudy amber with a massive off white head. The head is coarse with lots of air pockets and recedes somewhat quickly. Very minimal lacing left behind.

S - Campfire aroma with lots of smoked beechwood. I get a little sweet malt along with this but not much else.

T - The taste is much the same as the aroma. Loads of smoked beechwood, semi-sweet malts, and a moderate bitterness. Slightly nutty but the smoke overpowers most flavors. Very reminiscent of a rauchbier.

M - Somewhat thin body with moderate carbonation. Nothing special, but nothing offputting.

O - I wasn't sure what to expect from a smoked alt, but this is decently good. It's pretty much a rauchbier with almost overpowering campfire smoke from the beechwood. More balance and a thicker mouthfeel would have made this a lot better.

ExaltedNecrosis, Nov 18, 2013

Shafaegalo, Apr 14, 2014

jerefreakinmiah, Apr 13, 2014
4.09/5  rDev +11.1%

16 oz tallboy pours a lightly hazed amber color with a large, un-moving cap of tan head. Great looking beer, but appears to be a tad overcarbed.

Nose ranks about a 5/10 on the smoke-o-meter. Still allows the caramel and toast aromas from the malt to shine through. Plenty going on here and the sweet/smoke interplay is pretty cool.

Taste is well done on the smoke, just enough to satisfy rauchbier fans but not too intense as to scare away someone who has not tried a smoked beer before. The malts are perfectly done for my tastes, lightly toasty but stays more biscuity with a bit of caramel. Kiss of hops rounds things out nicely. The smoke is not intense, but it does have a nice 'meaty' flavor. I could drink alot of this and is another solid offering from Cedar Creek. Im impressed with all three offerings they have put out.

twiggamortis420, Oct 01, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

This one pours a nice umber to ocher color that has a thin and light white head that has a decent lacing down the side.

The nose is a softer smoked malt with some bread notes and hints of coriander, apples, camphor and a nice subtle hops.

The taste is spectacular and wonderfully balanced with notes of smoke floating on dry malt, that has rich bready undertones and some medicinal flavors that are actually quite good.

The mouthfeel is rich and just right.

Overall an exceptionally good beer.

AtrumAnimus, Aug 25, 2014

jkn09, Jan 19, 2014

deac83, Dec 02, 2013

ilikebeer03, Jan 24, 2014

JohnBender, Oct 27, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

greenspointexas, Dec 14, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

This is another CAN sent to me by the mighty JenRay to futher The CANQuest (TM), but which got bogged down by the need for an approved picture. All is now well and so I CAN proceed without futher ado.

From the CAN: "Brewed in East Texas"; "Our goal is to have a very drinkable session Alt that will pair well with food and be something a little different. We start with a good amount of German Rauch malt, which is smoked with beechwood. Then we throw in US two-row malt, Crystal 40, Crystal 120 and a bit of Pale Chocolate Malt. Add enough US Magnum and Willamette hops to balance the malty sweetness of the German Alt yeast we use in fermentation, and you've got a tasty treat. Th moderately smoky notes are balanced with the slight fruity flavor imparted by the Alt yeast. A great accompaniment to barbecue or a campfire breakfast, this one is sure to be as legendary as Scruffy himself!

Upon CANduting the Crack!, there was a loud offgassing, as though Scruffy might have been eating beans to go with his beer. No, instead, it should have been my clue that it was highly carbonated and therefore might be subject to foaming. I proceeded with my usual abandon, however, and my glass quickly filled with dense, tawny foam and began an overflow until I hurriedly backed off. Having learned my lesson, I resumed the pour once things had calmed down and had a chance to settle. I still ended up with three fingers of rocky head. Color was a slightly hazy Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = 13, thank you to the brewery for providing that info on the CAN). Nose was smoky, but not as intense as I might have liked. It had a smoked Gouda cheese-like odor, which may not make it a good fit for some people. For me, it was great! I broke out the cheese and crackers and took my first sip. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, kind of dense, but not quite to the point of being thick. The taste was nice, slightly bitter (35 IBUs), with a smokiness that was at the low end for me, but probably at most people's upper limit. I have to admit that I did not perceive the fruity esters that the CAN mentioned. It just struck me as a smoky beer with a moderate bitterness. Finish left me with a smoky flavor in my mouth and in my sinuses. Believe me, I get it when people say that they are not fans of the style! I just look at it as more for me and those of us who do like it. I would not want a steady diet of it, either. This was my second Smoked Beer today and I was now looking forward to something else.

woodychandler, Aug 31, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

deadliest, Sep 12, 2014

obrike, Jan 06, 2014
3.29/5  rDev -10.6%

Honestly, I bought this four-pack solely because it was a style I'd never heard of before. Not many smoked alts on the market.

Poured into a large glass mug, Scruffy's is a nice copper color with a big two-finger head on top. NIce looking, but nothing special here. No lace to mention. The nose on this beer is huge, which is why I gave it high marks. I think it accomplishes what it sets out to do. Big and smoky, it's sort of like walking into a smokehouse or a barbeque pit. Very woody. There may be some other scents hidden in there as well, but they seem to be overpowered by the smoke. Taste follows suit, with lots of smokiness here too. Some hint of chocolate, dark cherry (unusual for an alt). It's fruitier than most alts I've had. Mouthfeel is crisp and thin.

This is an interesting beer. Rauchbier in style, but the alt partnership is a weird one. It's definitely more rauhbier than alt. I'm glad I've tried it, but unless I'm really in need of a smoky beer in the future, I can't see myself revisiting this too much very often. Not a bad fall/winter beer, though.

Atlas1, Oct 27, 2013
3.6/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Orange-tan with a monster head that slowly dropped down and left nice sticky clumps of lacing.

Aroma has a fairly smoky start, with a good maltiness expected from an altbier, perhaps some barbeque when you've got a beercan chicken and bacon wrapped jalapenos going on a crisp fall day, and... this might sound strange, but I'm getting a touch of root beer too. .

Flavor is more pronounced on the smoke, but doesn't totally diverge from the altbier profile. A touch of nuttiness and some pleasant maltiness cling to the base beer underneath the smokiness.

As I drink it, I find the body a tad thinner and quite a bit more carbonated than what's probably optimal for this beer. New formulations should adjust and improve on the body.

Overall tho, it's an enjoyable beer which I'm happy to say, I have three more tall-boys of in the fridge. I'll try more cedar creek beers.

AlCaponeJunior, Nov 23, 2013