Scruffy's Smoked Alt - Cedar Creek Brewery

good

Cedar Creek Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Mora2000 on 10-13-2012)

BlakeyBrew, Mar 01, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +30.5%

This one pours a nice umber to ocher color that has a thin and light white head that has a decent lacing down the side.

The nose is a softer smoked malt with some bread notes and hints of coriander, apples, camphor and a nice subtle hops.

The taste is spectacular and wonderfully balanced with notes of smoke floating on dry malt, that has rich bready undertones and some medicinal flavors that are actually quite good.

The mouthfeel is rich and just right.

Overall an exceptionally good beer.

AtrumAnimus, Aug 25, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +30.5%

Enjoyed out of can more than out of stein. I had this beer with smoked sausage and smoked gouda on crackers. Delicious smokey flavor, brought me back to the Rauchbiers I had while living in Germany.

Bier_Maximus, Aug 20, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

deadliest, Sep 12, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

EnojysAnyBeer, Aug 12, 2014
4.24/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance: Finger of head drops to a thin halo of off white foam on a deceptively pretty glass. Almost opaque brown shows a deep glow and clarity when back lit. It looks viscous, hefty.

Smell: The idea with an Alt is an ale that is treated like a Lager, and held longer to age out. I should clear off all the musty fruity edges aged off of it, giving a clean smooth flavor. Then, these guys decide, let's smoke it. So, a lot that is supposed to go on actually does. The smoke is a about a 4 of 10 in intensity, full but not the only thing going on.

Taste: Full malty character, some mild oak that may be from the smoke. There is just a bit of pear, maybe a light grape skin, but it is just one note in the smoke, malt, yeast chord. The finish is a bit chalky.

Mouthfeel: A bit watery, a low carb level coupled with a light body. There's enough that it's not cask, just a bit flat.

Overall: Damn Scruffy! Some deep philosophical brewing statement you go going on here. Technically well executed, the concept works only if you end up liking it or not. The flavor is different, another cousin in the beer style family. I'm warming up to it, I like what's going on with each flavor. I'd put it up there with Buried Hatchet.
Recommended.

HardTarget, Jan 08, 2014
4.09/5  rDev +12.4%

16 oz tallboy pours a lightly hazed amber color with a large, un-moving cap of tan head. Great looking beer, but appears to be a tad overcarbed.

Nose ranks about a 5/10 on the smoke-o-meter. Still allows the caramel and toast aromas from the malt to shine through. Plenty going on here and the sweet/smoke interplay is pretty cool.

Taste is well done on the smoke, just enough to satisfy rauchbier fans but not too intense as to scare away someone who has not tried a smoked beer before. The malts are perfectly done for my tastes, lightly toasty but stays more biscuity with a bit of caramel. Kiss of hops rounds things out nicely. The smoke is not intense, but it does have a nice 'meaty' flavor. I could drink alot of this and is another solid offering from Cedar Creek. Im impressed with all three offerings they have put out.

twiggamortis420, Oct 01, 2013

videofrog, Oct 31, 2013

MickeyKnox, Aug 27, 2014

Fakexican, Jul 07, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A growler from Premium Draught in Houston.

A: Pours a iced tea looking, hazed orange/brown color. At first a two finger white head forms. Tightly packed and well formed, with good retention. The foam eventually recedes to a ring that sticks throughout. Plenty of lace is left behind as well.
S: Smoked meat, toasted malt, bread and biscuit. A light fruitiness as well. Then the smoke comes back, and finishes everything off. While the smoke is never over barring, it is always there and up front.
T: Follows the nose with smoked meat up front. Like the nose the smoke is always present, but never over barring or out of place. Toasted, bread, and biscuit malts. A light sweetness and fruit flavors.
M/D: A medium body. Light to moderate carbonation. I wish there was a bit more crispness, but a miner concern. Very easy to drink. Everything is very well balanced and enjoyable to drink.

This is a well done smoked beer. The meaty smoke is very present, but does not over power everything. The growler will be gone in no time. Very nice.

champ103, Mar 06, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

I've been looking forward to trying Scruffy's Smoked Alt since I picked it up last week. Smoked Altbier ("Alt") is a great idea. A traditional Alt's flavor profile--nutty, toasted malts in front, supported by muted fruity, dry, crisp hoppy flavors-- should complement smoked malty flavors nicely. I'm expecting flavors like hickory-smoked cashews and almonds and citrus-marinated barbecued meats.

A standard pour yields a dark amber brew and a very tall (3+ fingers) head of foam. The head is tall, but not viscous. Its fizzy body disappears too quickly, but does leave behind some patches (not rings) of fizzy lace on the sides of the glass. Bubbles are medium in size and evenly dispersed in the body.

The nose is as complex as some of the better rauchbiers/smoked beers I've had. Smoked aromas are present, but don't overpower. I appreciate toasted caramel, seared bacon, maple, and very mild notes of citrus.

The taste more or less follows the nose. Caramel, dark toffee, and roasted almonds and cashews up front, smoked meat in the middle. The smoked meats continue into the back end, where they're met with some bitter citrus-rind flavors and lingering bitterness. Think charred pork belly and orange rind slowly smoked over oak chips. Unfortunately, these intriguing flavors are let down entirely by the beer's watery mouthfeel and fizzy, sometimes abrasive froth. The beer was nearly flat by the last few sips of this 16 oz. can. Darn.

On the whole, Scruffy's Smoked Alt is an excellent smoked beer. It incorporates smokey flavors into what is ultimately a crisp, drinkable ale. The can tells us that the brewers have aimed to create a smoke beer that can be enjoyed with food. I can understand why. The flavor of most rauchbier/smoked beers is so bold that any attempt to pair the beers with food ends up futile. The smokiness in Scruffy's Smoked Alt is subdued enough that the beer should pair well with acidic and rich items.

GMB, Oct 14, 2013

dvmin98, Feb 05, 2014

Shafaegalo, Apr 14, 2014

jkn09, Jan 19, 2014

ilikebeer03, Jan 24, 2014

JohnBender, Oct 27, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +3%

This is another CAN sent to me by the mighty JenRay to futher The CANQuest (TM), but which got bogged down by the need for an approved picture. All is now well and so I CAN proceed without futher ado.

From the CAN: "Brewed in East Texas"; "Our goal is to have a very drinkable session Alt that will pair well with food and be something a little different. We start with a good amount of German Rauch malt, which is smoked with beechwood. Then we throw in US two-row malt, Crystal 40, Crystal 120 and a bit of Pale Chocolate Malt. Add enough US Magnum and Willamette hops to balance the malty sweetness of the German Alt yeast we use in fermentation, and you've got a tasty treat. Th moderately smoky notes are balanced with the slight fruity flavor imparted by the Alt yeast. A great accompaniment to barbecue or a campfire breakfast, this one is sure to be as legendary as Scruffy himself!

Upon CANduting the Crack!, there was a loud offgassing, as though Scruffy might have been eating beans to go with his beer. No, instead, it should have been my clue that it was highly carbonated and therefore might be subject to foaming. I proceeded with my usual abandon, however, and my glass quickly filled with dense, tawny foam and began an overflow until I hurriedly backed off. Having learned my lesson, I resumed the pour once things had calmed down and had a chance to settle. I still ended up with three fingers of rocky head. Color was a slightly hazy Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = 13, thank you to the brewery for providing that info on the CAN). Nose was smoky, but not as intense as I might have liked. It had a smoked Gouda cheese-like odor, which may not make it a good fit for some people. For me, it was great! I broke out the cheese and crackers and took my first sip. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, kind of dense, but not quite to the point of being thick. The taste was nice, slightly bitter (35 IBUs), with a smokiness that was at the low end for me, but probably at most people's upper limit. I have to admit that I did not perceive the fruity esters that the CAN mentioned. It just struck me as a smoky beer with a moderate bitterness. Finish left me with a smoky flavor in my mouth and in my sinuses. Believe me, I get it when people say that they are not fans of the style! I just look at it as more for me and those of us who do like it. I would not want a steady diet of it, either. This was my second Smoked Beer today and I was now looking forward to something else.

woodychandler, Aug 31, 2014