Scruffy's Smoked Alt - Cedar Creek Brewery

good

Cedar Creek Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Mora2000 on 10-13-2012)
1.91/5  rDev -47.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

If you like the taste of smoke, this beer is for you.

3.8/5  rDev +5%

1.24/5  rDev -65.7%

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Undated 16 oz can at 40 degrees into nonic
Aroma of smoke
Head large (5.5 cm), off white, frothy, diminishing to 3 mm ring and broken layer
Lacing fair - some various size islands of tiny to small bubbles
Body medium amber, clear
Flavor of light smoke and some malt sweetness, ends with a light bitterness; no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3.75, Aroma 4, Flavor 3.75, Palate 4, Overall 4

Light smoky aroma and flavor. Thin creamy head. Amber color. Nice mouth feel.

3.64/5  rDev +0.6%

3.8/5  rDev +5%

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

This is another CAN sent to me by the mighty JenRay to futher The CANQuest (TM), but which got bogged down by the need for an approved picture. All is now well and so I CAN proceed without futher ado.

From the CAN: "Brewed in East Texas"; "Our goal is to have a very drinkable session Alt that will pair well with food and be something a little different. We start with a good amount of German Rauch malt, which is smoked with beechwood. Then we throw in US two-row malt, Crystal 40, Crystal 120 and a bit of Pale Chocolate Malt. Add enough US Magnum and Willamette hops to balance the malty sweetness of the German Alt yeast we use in fermentation, and you've got a tasty treat. Th moderately smoky notes are balanced with the slight fruity flavor imparted by the Alt yeast. A great accompaniment to barbecue or a campfire breakfast, this one is sure to be as legendary as Scruffy himself!

Upon CANduting the Crack!, there was a loud offgassing, as though Scruffy might have been eating beans to go with his beer. No, instead, it should have been my clue that it was highly carbonated and therefore might be subject to foaming. I proceeded with my usual abandon, however, and my glass quickly filled with dense, tawny foam and began an overflow until I hurriedly backed off. Having learned my lesson, I resumed the pour once things had calmed down and had a chance to settle. I still ended up with three fingers of rocky head. Color was a slightly hazy Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = 13, thank you to the brewery for providing that info on the CAN). Nose was smoky, but not as intense as I might have liked. It had a smoked Gouda cheese-like odor, which may not make it a good fit for some people. For me, it was great! I broke out the cheese and crackers and took my first sip. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, kind of dense, but not quite to the point of being thick. The taste was nice, slightly bitter (35 IBUs), with a smokiness that was at the low end for me, but probably at most people's upper limit. I have to admit that I did not perceive the fruity esters that the CAN mentioned. It just struck me as a smoky beer with a moderate bitterness. Finish left me with a smoky flavor in my mouth and in my sinuses. Believe me, I get it when people say that they are not fans of the style! I just look at it as more for me and those of us who do like it. I would not want a steady diet of it, either. This was my second Smoked Beer today and I was now looking forward to something else.

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

This one pours a nice umber to ocher color that has a thin and light white head that has a decent lacing down the side.

The nose is a softer smoked malt with some bread notes and hints of coriander, apples, camphor and a nice subtle hops.

The taste is spectacular and wonderfully balanced with notes of smoke floating on dry malt, that has rich bready undertones and some medicinal flavors that are actually quite good.

The mouthfeel is rich and just right.

Overall an exceptionally good beer.

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%

A: 3.75 Medium amber with a small, airy head.
S: 3.5 Is that smokiness, or roast malt? Probably smoke, but it's not especially strong.
T: 3.5 Very malty taste, with subtle smoke (far less than what I was hoping for). Not all that interesting, really
M: 3.5 Neutral texture
O: 3.5 Fairly ordinary.

Weighting (percentages): 20, 20, 40, 5, 15. Avg: 3.55

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

Enjoyed out of can more than out of stein. I had this beer with smoked sausage and smoked gouda on crackers. Delicious smokey flavor, brought me back to the Rauchbiers I had while living in Germany.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%