Pietra - Brasserie Pietra

PietraPietra

Brasserie Pietra visit their website
France

Euro Dark Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ipogios on 11-19-2002)
dlello2

1.5/5  rDev -53.1%

03-29-2012 01:05:18 | More by dlello2
TerryW

Ontario (Canada)

1.83/5  rDev -42.8%

Now I gather that the French have that wine making thing down, but from my experience, they need to work on their beer technique. This is another example of a pretty uninspired factory grade beer that borders on being flat out nasty.

Average to look at - golden yellow with a short head and some spotty lace. Slightly grainy nose over some malt.

Odd flavour with an off putting chemical taste. Sweet up front, followed immediately by a short bit of bitterness. Then come the chemicals and a dose of alcohol. No harmony, just a series of not so good things happening.

Not interesting, almost unpleasant. I think I'd pass.

06-04-2009 23:01:29 | More by TerryW
Monsteruss

Colorado

1.98/5  rDev -38.1%

When poured into glass, the foam was almost white in color with a somwhat yellow haze and smooth. The color was a beautiful amber. The smell was woody, wheat and earthy with a small hint of flowers. Taste had a large overtone of earth (almost dirt), small hints of wheat and flowers and a small citrus undertone. The earthy tone was very overpowering. Mouthfeel - lightbodied. Drinkability - After tasting the earthy/dirt tones of the beer, it stops with an almost nasty taste. No wonder it was on sale. One of the worst sessions I've had.

04-15-2010 16:51:36 | More by Monsteruss
crnipeter

Slovenia

2.1/5  rDev -34.4%

750 ml bottle (BB end:2011) brought from Corsica where the brewery is located. According to the label it's a chestnut-based beer.
Pours clear, light amber body with fleeting white head. The nose is chestnut, dried apple slices and grassy hops. In contrary to the aroma I can't get any chestnut flavor out of this. The taste is caramel malt and grassy hops with bitter finish. Light bodied. Nothing memorable.

10-22-2010 15:25:57 | More by crnipeter
tjd25

France

2.17/5  rDev -32.2%

Soft fluffly creamy head, quite dense and regular bubbles. The body is very slightly hazy and of an orange color. The smell is very weak, slightly malty at best. Quite bad. Like seltzer water, almost no smell.

The taste is malty, slightly caramelized and citric. I wouldn't have found the chestnut if I hadn't know this was a chestnut beer. Very disappointing. Plain and uninteresting. The hoppiness is disturbing and not well balanced. Highly carbonated. The mouthfeel is maybe very slightly floury; that would be the chestnut flour I guess. It is mostly watery and weak. As for drinkability, I had a hard time finishing my glass (did I even finish it?) and I'm glad this was my only bottle.

This beer is so annoying. A great commercial success, playing around with the local corsican identity, but quite a shame for the brewer. It's easy to write stuff on the label in corsican to make Corsicans proud and to look exotic for all the others; but it'd be more interesting to focus the efforts on the brewing process. I hope I won't have to drink that ever again.

06-25-2004 21:56:52 | More by tjd25
armock

2.17/5  rDev -32.2%

A - Poured a golden color with a thin white head no lacing

S - Is of fruity grainy malt

T - Not so good very grainy tasting

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - Not good on the drinkability scale way to grainy in the taste I think the French should stick to wine don't bother with this beer

04-22-2009 18:47:25 | More by armock
rhoadsrage

2.25/5  rDev -29.7%

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer pours a slightly hazy brownish-orange hue with a thin head that never really forms and is soon gone. There is a sea of bubbles popping to the surface.

S- The soft woody malt aroma finishes with a band-aid quality but is otherwise very clean.

T- The soft brown malt hint fades into a big chlorophenolic band-aid finish with some plastic tastes that linger.

M- The medium mouthfeel has a slightly slippery texture and no real alcohol heat.

O- I couldn't make it through the glass and the plastic band-aid flavor sticks in my mouth even after I'm finished. I couldn't really detect any other flavors hiding out in there.

01-31-2012 14:55:35 | More by rhoadsrage
claspada

2.25/5  rDev -29.7%

09-11-2012 15:46:50 | More by claspada
tbeck

Washington

2.45/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a dark orange, slight tinge of red and clear. Has a thin white head that dissappears quickly into a collar, faint laciness. Aroma is malt and skunk, skunk being the majority. Taste is also very skunky but I did pick up some malt and a little bitterness. Light and thin texture, has a carbonated feel to it. Not recommended as a session beer, flavor is poor.

04-17-2009 04:12:57 | More by tbeck
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.5/5  rDev -21.9%

Bottle: Poured an amber color beer with a medium size foamy head with average retention and minimal lacing. Taste of light caramel malt with light sweetness. Taste is somewhat bland with some light caramel malt with some light sweet note also noticeable. Body is about average with some good carbonation. Chestnuts are impossible to detect and again not sure what they would have provided.

12-08-2008 19:13:29 | More by Phyl21ca
DogFood11

2.5/5  rDev -21.9%

750ml brown bottle, 6.5% abv listed on the side. Poured into a pounder glass it forms a weak fizzy head that falls to an outer edge. Macro Lager type body that is shade closer to copper.

Doughy malts and an alcohol splash. The chestnut (earthy) tones are the best part of this beer. I think this is a good beer overall but I can't help but note that I dont think the mix of nuts and a lager mix well in this offering. Chestnut works well but I'd like to see the supporting cast beefed up a bit if not alot. As it warmed there is a distinct peppered element and the sweet grain bill jumps in to play as well.

Notes: Not a mix I took a liking to. The peppered addition gave this a life but in the end it felt kinda cheap and extract laden. For the price its a definite pass.

02-14-2007 04:36:26 | More by DogFood11
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev -19.4%

330ml Bottle

Appearance - Clear light copper colour with an average size frothy white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for around 3 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, caramel, breads/grains, chestnuts?

Taste & Mouth - There is a slightly below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel and a bit of a roasted/smokiness. There is also a flavour that I couldn't put my finger on, but after reading some reviews on this site I guess it's chestnuts. It definitely has a distinct flavour.. not sure that's a good thing though. The beer finishes with a malty roasted aftertaste.

Overall - The beers taste seemed to improve as it got warmer, but I still wasn't really a big fan. There was just something about the taste that I really didn't enjoy.

06-23-2011 15:05:35 | More by spinrsx
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.63/5  rDev -17.8%

Slightly more orange than amber with a sparse cloud of fine particulates. The two finger cap is rich ivory in color and creamy in consistency. It's also gracing the glass with sheer sheets of lace that look like icing. Pietra is the best looking chestnut ale that I've ever seen. And the only one.

I'm not thrilled with the nose. Given the addition of chestnut flour, was it too much to ask for the beer to actually smell like chestnuts? The dominant aroma is an earthy, somewhat vegetal scent whose origins I can only guess at. If the flavor profile doesn't have a lot more going for it, my first foray into Corsican beer might also be my last.

Unfortunately, Pietra tastes exactly like it smells. I guess that oddness must be the chestnut flour, since, as far as I know, there aren't any other unusual ingredients present. Just don't expect it to taste like chestnuts, that's all I can say. Lightly sweet, lightly toasted, lightly nutty malt (think Victory or Munich) is the centerpiece. More hops would have helped.

While the mouthfeel is nothing to write home about, it does its job ably enough. A modest finishing slickness and a lower than usual bubble load are its distinguising characteristics.

I expected something unique, exotic even, when I learned about the use of chestnut flour in Pietra Biera Corsa. The sad truth is, it's just another lackluster Euro beer (that's an ale rather than a lager) that stands out from the crowd because it has a different off-flavor than most. Don't bother.

03-10-2007 14:26:41 | More by BuckeyeNation
Sigmund

Norway

2.68/5  rDev -16.3%

330 ml bottle, labeled Pietra Bière Ambrée, bought in France. My first Corsican beer. Amber colour, large head. Nutty aroma with toffee and undefined herbal notes. Flavour is moderately malty with not-too-good hops, the chestnuts shine through. Chestnut powder in beer, WTF? Some strange medicinal character and a bitter finish and aftertaste. Not my favourite this one.

03-08-2006 22:46:18 | More by Sigmund

NJBeer265

2.75/5  rDev -14.1%

07-02-2014 13:53:55 | More by NJBeer265
mdagnew

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

2.8/5  rDev -12.5%

330ml bottle given to me by a friend from France...

Poured a coppery orange / amber colour... Slightly off white head poured big and foamy and faded to thin layer...

Aroma - Quite noticable sweetcorn (quite sickly), boiled rice, only the slightest hint of chestnuts, very light toffee malts, hops just about noticable, fruity (oranges, apples, maybe some figs)...

Taste – Spicy sweetcorn, light hops, some toffee malts, nutty sweetness ... overall a bit too sickly sweet...

Feel - Quite smooth.. Light / Medium bodied...

Overall - A pretty poor beer....Not really worth a try...

04-24-2006 11:00:11 | More by mdagnew
rec

Australia

2.88/5  rDev -10%

After reading on the label that this was "Chestnut Beer" I thought I had a lot to look forward too... unfortunately that wasn't the case.

The body is a dirty bronze, and the head is a soapy white one that doesn't seem to develop during the pour or lace at all.

The smell is practically non-existant, if anything the only real thing I'm getting out of it is starch vegetables.

I don't know about chestnuts, but I gues if I stretch my imagination I could believe there's some light nuttiness to the taste, but it really would be a stretch.

It really tastes like a typical "beer", almost like a traditional cerveza in fact, but with a little extra sweetness. There's a bready aftertaste, with a little bitterness - none of which I feel particularly good about.

12-15-2007 14:25:29 | More by rec
Mellonius

Brazil

2.88/5  rDev -10%

Pours clear light brown and looks beautiful. Thin, evanescent head. Not much going on in terms of smell; just bland nutty notes. The mouthfeel is light, almost watery, with a fair amount of carbonation. Tastes nutty, with some floral and fruity notes and some acidity. Not really bad, but not to be missed. A good refreshing brew to be enjoyed well chilled. Sessionable.

09-12-2013 20:27:51 | More by Mellonius
wl0307

United Kingdom (England)

2.93/5  rDev -8.4%

Having been searching for this beer for quite several months now, finally I tracked it down at the UTOBEER stall, Borough Market, S. London. BBE 06/08, served lightly chilled in a broad-rimmed goblet.

A: bright tawny hue, with abundant streams of tiny fizz, and a off-white frothy beer head dissipating a bit too fast.
S: interesting mix of slightly lemony lager malts, lightly roasty, dried-grassy hops and, yes, a ground nuts like chewy nutty sweet texture~~ a sulphury and eggy note stays quietly in the background, not too much to spoil that pleasing fore-note. Overall, quite intriguing, if not a touch too timid for me.
T: weird, clashing and metallic mouthfeel upfront with a touch of fizz too much... fast proceeding to a malt-themed aftertaste, bready in texture and intertwined with a lightly bitter-sweet touch of, exactly "what it says on the tin", chestnuts! A mild touch of grassy hops' bitter edge lingers in the end as well, like chewy hays.
M&D: quite refreshing on the mouthfeel, and the initial clashing feel disappears quickly after the second sip (guess it's because my tongue has got used to it?!). The impression of a lager with a chestnutty character is not that bad after all, yet the overall performance for me is below average, for the body falls thin and the more pleasant flavour comes in at too late a stage. Still I don't regret that I've tried it. By the way, I suspect it goes well with roast chicken (just popping up in my mind)??...

07-29-2006 20:35:42 | More by wl0307
bloberglawp

Quebec (Canada)

2.95/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a clear dark cooper, decent head and traces of lace. Subtle malty aroma, quite clean, hints of german dopplebock caracter.

Flavor, quite unimpressive yet nothing wrong about it, a clean malty lager, very much like what is present in germany. A little thinner bodied and a tad more bitter, reminds me of Mexico's Negra Modello.

Easily quaffable, a million times more flavor than those mass produced lager. A good lawnmower beer.

07-24-2009 01:10:26 | More by bloberglawp
roblowther

2.95/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours reddish gold with a thin, quickly dissipating head. Smells of sour cherries. Tastes of caramel but without the sugar if you can say that of something that is burnt sugar. Also has a sight hop note to it that lingers into a slightly bitter aftertaste. No real complexity. Mouthfeel is watery with just a note of silkiness on the back of the tongue. Drinkability is good, as you could down several of these without noticing, really. Probably evidence why the French are known for their wine.

08-18-2006 21:08:09 | More by roblowther