Belgian Golden Strong Ale - Alameda Brewhouse

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.40% ABV

Beer added by: RedDiamond on 07-29-2008

Reviews by RedDiamond:
4.32/5  rDev n/a

Though only 7.4% alcohol, Alameda serves this beer in a 9-oz. snifter much as they would for a stronger beer such as a barleywine. I don't think the alcohol content justifies this, but perhaps the expense might. The beer is rich in flavor and complexity. It is dense peach colored, lightly carbonated, and comes topped with a showy head that soon recedes to a thin film.

It's the aroma that first really blows me away. It's like running through a meadow in springtime. The airs are grassy, with notes of heather and intriguing spices akin to cinnamon and sassafras.

The taste too, is entirely unique - unlike any beer I've ever had. As I drank it, I scoured my mind's spice rack for the definitive flavor this beer evinced. But its distinct complexity surpassed my imagination and I was left grasping at substandard descriptors. Yeast esters form a part of it. And there's an undercurrent of peach/mango fruitiness as well. But with a dash of white pepper, anise, nutmeg, and... something else.

In the absence of a perfect descriptor, I'll just recommend that you try it yourself. It approximates what the name says it is, though I wish they'd stop calling beers brewed in Portland, "Belgian."

3.75/5  rDev n/a

Belgian Golden Strong Ale from Alameda Brewhouse
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.