1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Working Stiff Ale - Texas Big Beer

Working Stiff AleWorking Stiff Ale

Texas Big Beer visit their website
Texas, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  6.62% ABV

This is my personal favorite beer as a home brewer. I have brewed more batches of this beer than any other. I kept it on tap at my house continually. This is also my most medal winning beer of all time. I even entered it in the Samuel Adams TM Holiday Homebrew Competition back in about 2005 and it took first place in the category and the beer advanced to the final three. But, it did not get best of show. I was sad at the time, but happy as hell now, because if it had won, it would be Jim Koch's beer!

This beer is an ESB, which was the premium beer of the Working Man (Working Stiff) who frequented the pubs of London after a hard day's work back in the mid 1800's. It may be a 160 years later, but this beer is still the
ULTIMATE TAP BEER!

(Beer added by: crusian on 04-19-2013)
Reviews by ranger7:

ranger7, Nov 10, 2013

GRG1313, Aug 02, 2014
3.56/5  rDev +9.9%

Brewpedals, Aug 20, 2014
1.35/5  rDev -58.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pours out an amber body with a thin head. Smells strongly of yeast. Kind of like a failed homebrew. Booze in the nose. Tastes of pale malts and toast up front. Dryness in the finish. LOTS of yeast, but not in a good, interesting, or charming way (i.e., like a poorly made homebrew). Weird minty flavor, which is very off-putting when tastes in conjunction with the other missteps. I suppose this is from the hops? Is this oxidized as well? Mouthfeel lacks body and has a carbonation that stings the tongue. I'd rather drink my half-assed attempts at homebrew than this.

goochpunch, Oct 20, 2013

gtermi, Jun 22, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -30.6%

Shafaegalo, Jun 04, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Color- hazy honey. Full, thick head.

Aroma- honey, mild apricot marmalade, and hint of white pepper.

Taste- An excellent British ESB style ale. Starts malt forward with a full grain bread and butter smoothness, mild hops and earthy grains appear in the mid-body, finishing with a long and mellow hoppiness.

Poured from 650 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted on 5/31/14.

utfiero, May 31, 2014

greenspointexas, Dec 14, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +25.9%

From the description:
This is my personal favorite beer as a home brewer. I have brewed more batches of this beer than any other. I kept it on tap at my house continually. This is also my most medal winning beer of all time. I even entered it in the Samuel Adams TM Holiday Homebrew Competition back in about 2005 and it took first place in the category and the beer advanced to the final three. But, it did not get best of show. I was sad at the time, but happy as hell now, because if it had won, it would be Jim Cook's beer!
ULTIMATE TAP BEER!

Reviewing to style.
Pours, looks, and smells like a generic beer. orange/yellow... malty nose with a hint of sweetness and honey. I was not really expecting anything from this beer and was actually quite surprised.
taste is actually quite good. probably the best or one of the best ESBs I have ever had.
Lots of sweet malt and a bitter punch. no citrus, no pine, just bitterness on the finish. Combined with the malt it really works though. nice and clean. This is really good!

crusian, Apr 19, 2013
3.91/5  rDev +20.7%

Excellent appearance, it was tannish with some orange tint, a smidge hazy, had plenty of rising bubbles, and had a great sturdy off white head that left a great cap and plenty of sticky lacing.

Aroma is somewhat malty with a good bit of bitterness, not a ton of overly distinct particular hops aromas, but still a notable degree of hops aroma. The flavor follows right along, being fairly malt forward, but with a crisp and pronounced bitterness. I like it, I don't really want tons of mango, pine, citrus etc when I drink an ESB, I just want a good solid bitterness and a solid malt body. This beer delivers.

The drinkability is pretty high, medium body with a crisp but bitter finish, and a little lingering dry maltiness.

I like it. Tasty and delicious, interesting and different. This is my second of four from this brewery, and so far I'm very happy to have another good brewery that's pretty local. Definitely try it.

AlCaponeJunior, Jun 14, 2013

Lukebell15, Aug 11, 2014

BDeibs, Aug 02, 2014
4.51/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I don't review very often but I found this worthy of 250 characters.

A - Poured into a simple pint glass with a very nice white head, 1in.

S - Honey... malt... slight hoppiness

T - Woody and bitter... a very light sweetness that works incredibly well. Light fruitiness as the beer warms. The sharp bitterness fades as well leaving it wonderfully smooth.

M - Carbonation is spot on for the style. Could be a little thicker/creamier.

O - I would drink this and only this in a proper pub til I needed a ride home. This is one of those beers you can sit down on a stool, have great conversations with strangers who become friends and drink pint after pint. An ESB for people who know wtf an ESB is. 22oz @ $6 is a touch high probably but I'll pay for this type of quality. I wish this was on tap in DFW. Great work Johnny!

mattisloco, Jun 24, 2013

kjkinsey, Apr 22, 2013

NeverSettle, Aug 11, 2013

jenray, May 03, 2013

OgreSanchez, Aug 15, 2013

strib, Sep 13, 2013
2.06/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

I'm hoping this was just a bad batch. This is my second bottle with some weird funk going on for an ESB, which should be a well-balanced easy drinker. Pours a hazy golden color with a generous head (was a bit of a bottle bomb). Smells of honey and yeast. I'm having a hard time tasting much beyond the metallic and butterscotch off flavors, but I do detect some earthy hops and caramel malts. Pretty soft on the tongue, higher carbonation than expected. It's disappointing, but I'll give it another shot if I ever come across it again.

kellypodz, Oct 30, 2013

zbooks, Aug 10, 2013
2.15/5  rDev -33.6%

I couldn't finish one bottle of this. It was too hoppy for an ESB. Tasted more like a milder IPAs. In fact, I have definitely had IPAs that I prefer to this and I'm not into hops. So, I was sad to have to pour some of this down the drain. Bitter hops like this just cover up the malt flavors that should be deliciously present in an ESB.

ElCommodoro, Aug 06, 2013