Working Stiff Ale - Texas Big Beer

Working Stiff AleWorking Stiff Ale

Texas Big Beer visit their website
Texas, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  6.62% ABV

This is my personal favorite beer as a home brewer. I have brewed more batches of this beer than any other. I kept it on tap at my house continually. This is also my most medal winning beer of all time. I even entered it in the Samuel Adams TM Holiday Homebrew Competition back in about 2005 and it took first place in the category and the beer advanced to the final three. But, it did not get best of show. I was sad at the time, but happy as hell now, because if it had won, it would be Jim Koch's beer!

This beer is an ESB, which was the premium beer of the Working Man (Working Stiff) who frequented the pubs of London after a hard day's work back in the mid 1800's. It may be a 160 years later, but this beer is still the
ULTIMATE TAP BEER!

(Beer added by: crusian on 04-19-2013)
View: Beers (9) |  Events

2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

06-03-2014 23:53:17 | More by Shafaegalo
utfiero

4.25/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Color- hazy honey. Full, thick head.

Aroma- honey, mild apricot marmalade, and hint of white pepper.

Taste- An excellent British ESB style ale. Starts malt forward with a full grain bread and butter smoothness, mild hops and earthy grains appear in the mid-body, finishing with a long and mellow hoppiness.

Poured from 650 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted on 5/31/14.

05-31-2014 20:55:32 | More by utfiero
greenspointexas

12-14-2013 21:51:39 | More by greenspointexas
kellypodz

2.06/5  rDev -37%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

I'm hoping this was just a bad batch. This is my second bottle with some weird funk going on for an ESB, which should be a well-balanced easy drinker. Pours a hazy golden color with a generous head (was a bit of a bottle bomb). Smells of honey and yeast. I'm having a hard time tasting much beyond the metallic and butterscotch off flavors, but I do detect some earthy hops and caramel malts. Pretty soft on the tongue, higher carbonation than expected. It's disappointing, but I'll give it another shot if I ever come across it again.

10-30-2013 00:50:24 | More by kellypodz
goochpunch

1.35/5  rDev -58.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pours out an amber body with a thin head. Smells strongly of yeast. Kind of like a failed homebrew. Booze in the nose. Tastes of pale malts and toast up front. Dryness in the finish. LOTS of yeast, but not in a good, interesting, or charming way (i.e., like a poorly made homebrew). Weird minty flavor, which is very off-putting when tastes in conjunction with the other missteps. I suppose this is from the hops? Is this oxidized as well? Mouthfeel lacks body and has a carbonation that stings the tongue. I'd rather drink my half-assed attempts at homebrew than this.

10-20-2013 02:19:44 | More by goochpunch

zbooks

08-10-2013 22:33:57 | More by zbooks
ElCommodoro

2.15/5  rDev -34.3%

I couldn't finish one bottle of this. It was too hoppy for an ESB. Tasted more like a milder IPAs. In fact, I have definitely had IPAs that I prefer to this and I'm not into hops. So, I was sad to have to pour some of this down the drain. Bitter hops like this just cover up the malt flavors that should be deliciously present in an ESB.

08-06-2013 21:14:38 | More by ElCommodoro
mattisloco

4.51/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I don't review very often but I found this worthy of 250 characters.

A - Poured into a simple pint glass with a very nice white head, 1in.

S - Honey... malt... slight hoppiness

T - Woody and bitter... a very light sweetness that works incredibly well. Light fruitiness as the beer warms. The sharp bitterness fades as well leaving it wonderfully smooth.

M - Carbonation is spot on for the style. Could be a little thicker/creamier.

O - I would drink this and only this in a proper pub til I needed a ride home. This is one of those beers you can sit down on a stool, have great conversations with strangers who become friends and drink pint after pint. An ESB for people who know wtf an ESB is. 22oz @ $6 is a touch high probably but I'll pay for this type of quality. I wish this was on tap in DFW. Great work Johnny!

06-24-2013 19:37:12 | More by mattisloco
gtermi

06-22-2013 04:53:02 | More by gtermi
AlCaponeJunior

3.91/5  rDev +19.6%

Excellent appearance, it was tannish with some orange tint, a smidge hazy, had plenty of rising bubbles, and had a great sturdy off white head that left a great cap and plenty of sticky lacing.

Aroma is somewhat malty with a good bit of bitterness, not a ton of overly distinct particular hops aromas, but still a notable degree of hops aroma. The flavor follows right along, being fairly malt forward, but with a crisp and pronounced bitterness. I like it, I don't really want tons of mango, pine, citrus etc when I drink an ESB, I just want a good solid bitterness and a solid malt body. This beer delivers.

The drinkability is pretty high, medium body with a crisp but bitter finish, and a little lingering dry maltiness.

I like it. Tasty and delicious, interesting and different. This is my second of four from this brewery, and so far I'm very happy to have another good brewery that's pretty local. Definitely try it.

06-14-2013 18:10:57 | More by AlCaponeJunior

crusian

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev +24.8%

From the description:
This is my personal favorite beer as a home brewer. I have brewed more batches of this beer than any other. I kept it on tap at my house continually. This is also my most medal winning beer of all time. I even entered it in the Samuel Adams TM Holiday Homebrew Competition back in about 2005 and it took first place in the category and the beer advanced to the final three. But, it did not get best of show. I was sad at the time, but happy as hell now, because if it had won, it would be Jim Cook's beer!
ULTIMATE TAP BEER!

Reviewing to style.
Pours, looks, and smells like a generic beer. orange/yellow... malty nose with a hint of sweetness and honey. I was not really expecting anything from this beer and was actually quite surprised.
taste is actually quite good. probably the best or one of the best ESBs I have ever had.
Lots of sweet malt and a bitter punch. no citrus, no pine, just bitterness on the finish. Combined with the malt it really works though. nice and clean. This is really good!

04-19-2013 17:50:47 | More by crusian