Peanut Butter Porter - Boston Beer Works - Canal Street

good

Boston Beer Works - Canal Street visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Porter |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: taez555 on 09-23-2003)
WhitmansNiece

11-25-2011 20:52:26 | More by WhitmansNiece
waiting4lunch

11-18-2011 17:40:11 | More by waiting4lunch
odietrying

2.68/5  rDev -27%

A: Opaque, chocolate brown. Thin head, but thick, strong lacing.

S: Smells a little (barely) like peanut butter. Very understated.

T: A bit watery. The taste is underdeveloped, and the malt and hops are hard to detect. A slightly unpleasant bitterness.

M: Smooth, but barely carbonated.

D: No thanks, I was a little disappointed with this beer.

10-17-2008 04:22:31 | More by odietrying
dananabanana

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Toasty brown, creamy head. However, the lacing is thin. The beer itself is thick brown, almost black.

S: Very slight peanut butter chocolate flavor. Rich malt. A hint of coffee.

T: Dark roasted malt. A rich vanilla/ sugar, sort of maple, flavor develops. The peanut butter flavor itself takes awhile to develop. You can taste the complexity later.

M: Smooth, low carbonation.

D: Tasty and sweet. Hits heavy in the stomach.

10-16-2008 17:46:33 | More by dananabanana
francisweizen

Alaska

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

This one was good. I had been witing to try this one for a while, and when I finally saw this on tap I was pretty psyched. You see, I love all things peanut butter, and as such i've always wanted to try this one! Anyways, it's a nice enough dark brown, cola colour with a nice tan head of foam that leaves nice lacing and has decent retention. The aromas are very chocolate, roast, and coffee orientated but the peanut butter just isn't there. It is slightly there I mean but it is way in the background and if you squint you will miss it! The taste is similar, roasty, and malty with a chewy mouthfeel and very good drinkability, this one is a very nice standard porter, but I think naming this brew "peanut butter porter" is not really a good idea, as the peanut butter character is certainly lacking!

04-07-2006 03:38:40 | More by francisweizen
clvand0

Kentucky

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Another beer I was waiting to try. I love peanut butter and I lvoe porter. Can't go wrong. Pours a dark color with a small head that falls fast and leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma had a lot of chocolate notes along with only a hint of peanuts. Smelled really good, just lacking on the peanut butter end. The flavor was extremely creamy and tasty with a lot of dark malts and caramel flavors. Again, the peanut character was very small in the flavor. I expected a lot more peanut to come through in the flavor. Not to take anything away from this one though, this is a wonderful porter. The body is thick and the drinkability is great.

02-20-2006 18:12:21 | More by clvand0
MuddyFeet

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Served on-tap with dinner at the Fenway location on January 4. Poured a dark brown in color. So dark it was almost black. Slight, creamy head that was just a tad khaki. Nose was heavy on the malts with some whiffs of peanut brittle rising from the glass.

Flavor was quite interesting. Got a lot of dark chocolates and pwdered cocoa at first. Not much in the way of hops at all. Slight coffee bitterness. The peanut butter was only slightly noticeable at first but became readily apparent in the aftertaste. The aftertaste even came through even more the longer after each sip. Medium mouthfeel with very little of the characteristic Beer Works wateriness. Drinkable, especially with chocolate. One note is that I would have placed this beer under a stout style and less of a porter. It had a stout's body, feel and texture. But hey, I'm not the brewer.

01-05-2006 01:45:13 | More by MuddyFeet
Truh

New Hampshire

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

Hoped to god I wasn’t allergic to nuts with this one on 2/21/2005. 16-oz. pour in a “pint” glass at the Fenway location with the World Series of Poker on one of the televisions to pass the time.

¾-inch pillow of strangling carbonation that has a huge stick on it. Black hue with just a feint of ruby at the bottom where the glass tapers – can’t see anything happening within, Malted milk, molasses, hickory switch and a light maltiness on nose. Peanut butter seems to impart a metallic twinge on the tongue, with a toffee sweetness and a definite, pronounced smoky character. This one grew on me to the point where I considered extending my stay at the bar, but didn’t.

02-23-2005 04:12:38 | More by Truh
GuinnessSmurf

Missouri

2.65/5  rDev -27.8%

I was very intrigued by this beer - not often do you think of peanut butter and beer together. I wanted in on the action, to see for myself what this brew had to offer.

In my glass, it was a dark as brown gets. It had a strange odor about it that reminded me of 'back to school' supplies. Mostly, the taste was a disappointment. I was setting my face up for some intense peanut butter. The onset of the taste has no peanut butter in it at all. Its sour almost. At the finish, you get a creamy peanut butter on your pallette, but that point I was already disappointed.

I should have talked to Ray, the bartender, first; he informed me that the beer was supposed to be smooth and creamy with a peanut butter finish. Had I known that, I think the disappointment wouldn't have scarred my review so much. But I'm sorry, if you call something peanutbutter, people will be intently tasting for peanut butter.

03-10-2004 16:48:54 | More by GuinnessSmurf
mschofield

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a dark brown, ruby around the edges, with a khaki head, laced only in bits and pieces.
Aromas of coffee with peanut butter dunked in the mug, roasted malt, nutty and roasted.
The peanut butter develops in the taste as it warms, not very apparent at first. The roasted malt is what mainly comes through, some general nuttiness.
Medium bodied, not bad but it has to be kept on the cooler side, or that peanut butter note becomes too strong.

02-09-2004 22:09:46 | More by mschofield
CharlesRiver

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

I had this on tap at the Fleet Center Beer Works.

Much better than I expected. Very dark brown in color with a tan head that seemed to last. The peanut butter flavors seemed to mix very well with the dark malt flavors. So creamy and smooth. If I wasn't eating, I could of had many more. Roasted malt and chocolate flavors mixed very well with the peanut butter.

I loved it.

12-17-2003 02:19:39 | More by CharlesRiver
TheLongBeachBum

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Presentation: One of the first beers I sampled at the Pre-Stammtisch BA Social held at the Anam Cara on Friday, September 12th. Served on Tap.

Appearance: A very dark black looking body, with a light tan head. Reasonable head retention but the head was comprised of large bubbles. Looked the part.

Nose: Strong Malts, some Colombian Coffee whiffs and a nutty aroma, although nowhere near as extreme as I suspected it would be. Similar to a Nut-Brown or Nutty-Mild Ale.

Taste: I have to confess to being quietly surprised, just the words “Peanut Butter Porter” conjured images of a sickly thick sweet affair. Far from it, the introduction is dominated by roasted malts intermingled with some coffee hints. Smoothly phases into a lovely Porter-esque middle. The peanut butter aspects do not show themselves until the latter 1/3 of the beer, when there is a simple nuttiness that effortlessly merges with the malts to produce a tasty finish. The aftertaste is of nuts, rather than peanuts, at least that is what I found.

Mouthfeel: Quite light in the mouth, reasonably good carbonation supported the roasted malts and the nutty ending. Clean lines with an above average feel.

Drinkability: Not quite a session beer, but a long way from the sickly sweet peanut butter soup I expected. Thanks to the fact that the peanut aspects are delicate, and restrained in the back end of the beer, it makes this much easier to drink. A few pints of this would not be too much of a problem.

Overall: Extremely well balanced, I am a fan of Nut-Brown Ales, so I enjoyed this and took to it quickly. Clean lines, enjoyable and well worth a Pint.

10-05-2003 01:28:25 | More by TheLongBeachBum
taez555

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Had this beer on tap at the AOBF pre party at Anam Cara and then a week later at the BBW fenway location.

It poured a black body with a creamy off white head.

The nose was a mix of roasted barley, unsweetened chocolate, espresso beans and a slight nutty peanut aroma. Not an in your face peanut butter as the name might suggest, just a simple nuttiness balanced against the darker malt smells.

The taste was a smooth roasted barley balanced against an oily nut flavor. Very light in the mouth. Medium carbonation. Some chocolate. A slight hint of coffee. A very smooth roasted barley bitterness. The peanut butter flavor starts to come out a bit more as it warms but for the most part, just like the nose, it's more of an oily nutty flavor balanced against the roasted barley porter/stout taste.

It ends very smooth with a lingering roasted barley bitterness.

Overall it's a very nice beer. Not quite the peanut butter attack you'd expect from the name. Just a very yummy well balanced porter with some great nuttiness to it.

09-23-2003 05:43:56 | More by taez555