1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pumpkinhead Ale - Boston Beer Works - Canal Street

Pumpkinhead AlePumpkinhead Ale

Boston Beer Works - Canal Street visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  ABV ?

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: taez555 on 09-04-1998)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Puddleglum:
3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

I've only had two Pumpkin Ales in my life and this was the best for what that's worth. The aroma was worth the purchase. It was fruity with overtones of nutmeg, allspice and of course pumpkin. I could have just sat in Beer Works and smelled this all Autumn but alas I had to drink it. The gravity must be incredibly high and that along with the fact that it's a pumpkin ale made it far from drinkable. Yet the taste was just a subdued version of the aroma that I enjoyed. The spicy taste made for an interesting mouthfeel that I liked. Some might not. I look forward to being able to imbibe yet another of these ales some fine Autumn day when I am in the Boston area.

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Presentation: On tap.

Appearance: Burnt orange in colour with a thin creamy head.

Smell: Mellow pumpkin, pie spices mix with a slight malt aroma.

Taste: Smooth mouthfeel with pleasing pumpkin and pie spices that were brought to the prefect level. In the background is thin malt which has a semi-tart crispness and hop bitterness is very subdued.

Notes: This is the most beautiful spiced / seasonal ale brewed in the late summer - fall season. It is a must try, brewed to perfection.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

The colour is an obvious copperish pumpkin orange with a sparkling clarity, creamy white lace wraps around the inside of the glass.

Smells and tastes of a level amount of pie spices, none really pop out more than any other. Soft pumpkin flavour with in the light toasted malt flavour. Hopping is light as well and merely keeps the brew in balance.

This is a damn good pumpkin ale.

3.26/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had on tap at Hingham location

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, orange-brown in color, clear, high carbonation

Smell: cinnamon and clove

Taste: cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and some pumpkin

Mouthfeel: sweet but not overly so, high carbonation, light bodied

Overall: Solid slightly above average pumpkin beer. I could no a couple of these, but there are better pumpkin beers out there.

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

I was very (pleasantly) surprised at how much I liked this beer. Normally, most pumpkin beers don't do anything for me, but this one was a real treat.

Brewed with lots of real pumpkin and a host of other spices I detected: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg...to name a few.

Dull and clear orange in color. Smooth and creamy bone-white head leaves brief layers of falling lace on the glass. Aromas are out of this world. Bursting forth are all sorts of pumpkin-laden spices: nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, allspice. Simply amazing. Flavor reminds me of my grandmother's pumpkin pie. Very flavorful and spicy. Not as boisterous as the smell, but impressive nonetheless. Spicy aftertaste. One of my favorite BBW beers.

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

I am a huge Pumpkin fan since I tried the Dogfish Punkin a year ago. As the previous review state, my poor was also lacking any head. The beer gives off a light mix of nutmeg and cinammon smell. The beer is really smooth and finished with a nice cinnamon kick, not too sweet, but I never really got the pumpkin taste. The beer was dark rich color similar to a Sam Octoberfest . This is a great fall beer and a great beer to introduce to non beer drinking friends.

Simply the best beer in town. I wait eagerly all summer for the arrival of Pumpkin Head. beautifully accented with the cinnamon sugar trimmed glass. Perfect taste, my absolute favorite by far. the only flaw I can see is that it's a seasonal beer, leaving me wanting more from January till September.

1.83/5  rDev -53.1%

This was my first encounter with pumpkin ale. I must confess that I could not finish the bottle. I had the distinct impression that the beer was trying to taste like something and not quite getting there. I couldn't figure out whether or not what it was trying to taste like was pumpkin pie or rotting pumpkin. Fearing the latter, I tossed the bottle after about five sips.

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap at the Lowell Beer Works. Also known as Pumpkinworks.

Pours a light to medium copper amber with white foam. Was served with cinammon sugar around the rim of the glass, which wasn't as distracting as I anticipated.

Strong spiced autumn smell. Nutmeg too.

Light pumpkin flavor, too much of the rim seasoning and it alsmot gets lost. Pretty good overall.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

It is pumpkin season and I’m trying as many as I can. This includes the Pumpkinhead from Beer Works. The color was bright clear copper/orange with a medium head. Not too much lace. I wasn’t expecting much due to the spices and malt I expected in the beer. The smell is clove, cinnamon, ginger, not much pumpkin on the nose. The taste is dominated by the spice. Not as much pumpkin as I'd hoped, but it's not bad, and has a good drinkability with a medium mouth feel. Good effort. Not great, but worth trying. It could use more pumpkin.

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

It has hazy brown body with a little bit of and orange. There is some nice off white head and lace. The aroma is sweet but spicy at the same time. There is a lot of spice to the flavor but not overdone as with a lot of pumpkin beers. You can also taste the pumpkin in this beer which is not always possible in other beers. The mouthfeel is medium with a good bit of carbonation. It is not bad I would drink it again.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

4.93/5  rDev +26.4%

Tasted On-Tap 09/30/05 at the Boston Beer Works - Fenway in Boston, MA.

Lightly hazy orange-gold color with a nice off-white head and nice carbonation. Beautiful spicy all-spice pumpkin pie aroma and flavor without being overpowering. Medium bodied. A perfect dessert beer and a great example of the style.

Per BBW website: Pumpkinhead Ale
A Beer Works Favorite! Pumpkin is added to the mash tun and kettle to give this beer its unique color and sweet palate. Vanilla, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg are added to the kettle and during conditioning to produce its wonderfully decadent aroma.
Season: all Color: orange Alc./Vol: 5.0%

2.05/5  rDev -47.4%

This beer was awful! I am a big fan of pumpkin ales and this just didn't cut it. The first sip was ok and then it tasted like weak water. No good. There is virtually no spice. The balance was way off. Horrible beer.

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

On-tap at Beer Works Fenway. On the board as Pumpkinworks, but the tap handle said Pumpkinhead.

A: The glass comes rimmed with cinnamon sugar, but the beer is amber with a creamy off-white head.

S: Starts off with sweet malt and very moderate spices. At first the cinnamon sugar was all I could smell, so I gluttonously licked it all off the glass. After that just a lot of bread and some toffee.

T: Only a bit of pumpkin flavor. Not too much in the way of spices, mostly cinnamon and nutmeg. Overall, I must say it is a bit bland. Toasted malt and bread with a bit of toffee sweetness. Very mild spice character.

M: Medium in both body and carbonation.

O: Sort of a lackluster pumpkin beer. Wasn't overly spicy, though, which was kind of a nice change.

3.76/5  rDev -3.6%

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

On tap at beer works in logan airport, of all places.

Beer is copper/amber. No head to speak of. Minimal lacing. Looks fine but not too impressive.

Smell is pretty good. Nutmeg, clove and other pumpkin pie spices. More spice than pumpkin, but pumpkin is there as well. A little faint.

Taste is good- more flavourful than the nose let on. Nutmeg sticks out strongly. Clove is present as well. Like the nose but stronger. A nice but standard pumpkin ale.

Beer is medium bodied, with pretty strong carbonation. A bit irritating, but overall pretty decent.

Overall, a solid pumpkin ale. Nice way to wait for a flight.

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

Consistent head sits atop this freindly orange body. Smell is more like natural pumpkin (as opposed to pumpkin pie spices). Taste matches the smell here - really bringing a sweet flavor out in this beer. Sweet pumpkin taste althroughout the drink. The finish has a festive clean/watery feel with an autumn sourness. Its a little too sweet and pumpkiny for a whole beer, but very creative in its own.

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Presentation: I recently drank a pint of this beer at the Post-Stammtisch BA Social held at the Boston Beer Works, North Station on Sunday, September 14th. This was the fourth beer of the session and thankfully got rid of most of the Peach Fuzz from my mouth (oooeerrr).

Appearance: A darkish, but perfectly lucid, brown color with an orangey hue when held to the light. Slightly off-white head was compact and smooth.

Nose: Extremely spicy nose, hints of pumpkin embroiled in a pervasive ‘All Spices’ odor. Has a very spicy, almost Xmasy nose. Extremely inviting.

Taste: Lots of spices and herbs in this beer, but whilst the nose was quite powerful, the tastes are never overpowering, or overwhelming. Some herbal qualities at the beginning soon make way for plenty of spices, nice hints of pumpkin soaked in cinnamon in the finish.

Mouthfeel: This has a fantastic mouthfeel, clean tasting and very satisfying.

Drinkability: Not quite a session beer, but I could easily drink several of these without much of a problem at all. Nicely balanced, and one of the best Pumpkin Ales that I have had to date.

Overall: I really enjoyed the deep quality spices, pumpkin and cinnamon character of this Pumpkin Ale. After Sundays session at the North Station, myself and xlperro paid a visit to the Beer Works at Fenway Park. Upon entering we were greeted by the fantastic odor of a fresh batch of Pumkpinhead Ale from the Brewery – it really has quite the nose, with a taste to match.

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

One of the great advantages of living near Salem is that I can get this beer in tap year-round.

I have had it numerous times both at Salem and at the Canal Street location.

A very pretty orange color with a whitish head and a smell that you can savor.

This one finds the right mix between pumpkin and spices and, in fact, has the best pumpkin taste of any of beers of this style that I have had.

I went into the Fall wanting to find a great pumpkin ale, and oddly enough, this one -- the only one I had relly explored before -- remains the best of the lot.

This is a good drinking beer and goes well with a meal.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »