1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yawkey Way Wheat - Boston Beer Works - Canal Street

Yawkey Way Wheat
No picture uploaded.

Boston Beer Works - Canal Street visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Sycodrummer on 07-10-2006)
4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

3.81/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Draught @ Fenway location: This one pours a hazy golden color. It had a finger of a dense, foamy head. It left quite a bit of lacing. The aroma is lighter but quite nice. Wheat, and some lemon to go along with it. Maybe a hint of sourness. The taste is quite good. Wheat, some of the lemon, faint sourness and just a faint spice. A good beer.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

A=nice appearance cloudy yellow/gold color small head
S=aroma has sour notes some citric backing to it
T=wow 1st berliner weiiss I've had (though they decribe it as a gose) sour notes are dominant but not overpowering some citric quality but nothing stands out definate salinity to the aftertaste very refreshing
M= medium to light body adds to over all refreshing quality of the beer
D=highly drinkable beer very enjoyable if you have not tried it give it a go

3.85/5  rDev -3%

I had this on tap at the Fenway Park brewpub. It was served in a tulip glass and surprised me with its sour aroma. Then I saw that it was a Berliner weissbier and not a hefewiezen so I re-approached it. The sour component was nice under my newfound light, and brought to mind a wheat lambic. I took it natural (not knowing there was a choice), but apparently they'll serve it with your choice of a couple of sugar syrups to balance the sour. It was fine as is.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Well, now I've seen everything. A Berliner Wiesse brewed in a local brew-pub. I guess I just don't think of BeerWorks as being one of those establishments that pushes the limit all that often, but this beer has changed my mind. I had this on tap at the Fenway location, and was not expecting very much as it just seems like one of those beers that might be hard to re-create with much authenticity, but it was superb. The color and haziness were spot on with other examples of the style. Kindl being the only other Berliner Wiesse that I am intimately familiar with, I'd say that the aroma of Yawky Way Wheat is very close, in that it is a little spicy and yeasty and overall very pleasing. The taste is what set me straight, though. They got it right on, or should I say far closer to right on than I ever expected - the sour, dry, and very light palate cleansing tartness. I convinced the bartender to make me three smaller glasses rather than one whole one, and they are using the authentic graubmeister syrups which the bartender said they were importing at great expense (I know the importer of the Kindl beers well, so I can believe it). The syrups blend perfectly and the flavor profile is almost undistinguishable from the genuine article. The dryness and tartness seemed to disipate too soon on the un-blended sample, but I'll mark that up to a brewery making a difficult style of beer to tame while making 20 other beers at the same time. Overall I was knocked out by the impressive effort and fine result that BeerWorks has achieved with this brew. Anyone who knows of any other american made Berliner Weisse, please let me in on it.

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Had at the Fenway location, this style is quickly becoming one of my favorites especially in the Summer months. Served "as is" (w/o syrup) the beer was presented to me in a 12oz. tulip. It was a slightly hazy yellow color with a suprisingly long-lasting one-finger head and lots of carbonation bubbles.

Smell is soft citrus, some lemon zest, and grass.

The taste starts with a puckering sourness that coats the palate. Not appraching the Kindl like sourness, but still a potent kick. Grassy and lemony flavors are in the mix with a super powerfull carbonation. Slightly dry in the finish.

Light in body with very bubbly carbonation.

True to the style, the beer is very drinkable. I would have liked a little more punch with some puckering tartness, but a solid and much more economical example of the style. A growler will be forthcoming.

Yawkey Way Wheat from Boston Beer Works - Canal Street