Victory Green - Boston Beer Works - Canal Street

Beer added by: Reagan1984 on 11-29-2008

2/5  rDev n/a

4/5  rDev n/a

4.17/5  rDev n/a

Chatted with the brewer while sitting at the bar and ge suggested that we might like to try this beer. After learning it was a gruit (made without hops)I was very interested as I like when brewers take a chance making this ancient style.

This beer was concocted with rosemary, marjoram, mint and nettle....wow, what an interesting combo!

Served this in a tulip glass making for a nice presentation.

A-Hazy, light golden yellow with a slight green tint with a thin white foamy head. Head dissipated to a thin ring of retention that left spotty lace.

S-An interesting and complex spicy aroma. Hard to describe but you could pick up notes of grass, a generic "herb" scent and a light wafting of fresh mint.

T-Up front bitter spiciness was complex and very interesting. Herbal, grassy flavours meld well with a bit of green apple and again the background hint of fresh mint.

M-Light bodied and very refreshing. I guess it was on tap since it was basketball season...hence the name I assume...but this beer would be great on a hot summer day. Light and crisp with nice lasting flavours.

D-In general I like gruits and this one was no exception. A well done and tasty brew. A bit too spicy to enjoy glass after glass but for one or two an enjoying refresher that will certainly pique your palate.

3.72/5  rDev n/a

From the Menu
VICTORY GREEN
Brewed in honor of your Celtics. A blend of "Celtic herbs
& spices" give it a unique flavor.
14oz. $5.95

This beer was described as a Weiss Beer with a lot of bite. The menu had the description noted above. I called their today to ask about the actual style and they read me the menu again. I just listed it as a spiced beer since that seems to be the single most defining description & characteristic.

They served this in a tulip glass despite it being a 5% ABV. Probably no higher than most of their other beers. The table card actually said it had a green color. I could not see any hint of this. The beer came with a very thin white foamy head. Much less than a finger's worth. This faded quickly back into the beer. It was a cloudy/hazy gold color with mostly light yellow tones. No lacing remained behind. Too cloudy to discern if any visible carbonation was present.

The aroma was very spicy.. You could tell you were in store for a spiced up brew right from here. There was also a lot of fruity notes.

Flavor was all spice up front and very interesting. I got some ginger, clove and a bunch of other things going on. Some real fruit notes just after the spice and a bit of banana. Hop profile was very subtle.

I found the mouth feel quite light. It was pretty drinkable, but I'm not sure I'd sign up to drink this all night long. I had this in late November, but I think it would be nicer in a warm spring day.

Interesting, that's for sure.

Victory Green from Boston Beer Works - Canal Street
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.