Houblon Rouge - Boston Beer Works - Canal Street

good

Boston Beer Works - Canal Street visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Belgian IPA |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: TrevorGW on 01-26-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

01-06-2014 00:12:12 | More by Ken_P
alex_hart

Oklahoma

3.86/5  rDev +12.9%

Had this one on tap at Beer Works in Boston. Was initial interested in trying it because it was a combination of two of my favorite styles, Belgians and IPAs.

8% abv.

This was a good brew, but not my favorite in the world. I expected a lot more hop presence than I experienced, but it was still smooth and tasty. I'm not sure this was the best combination of the styles I have had (as opposed to Duvel Tripel Hop and Bedlam), but it was still worth a try on tap. Medium bodied with a decent head to it that stayed throughout the glass. Overall just pretty good.

02-28-2013 05:49:45 | More by alex_hart

Bierman9

New Hampshire

3.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Stopped into the Canal St location on 14JAN12 with Artied2. Started off with a 14oz tulip, at $6.50.

This one was a clear, deep copper color. Head was beige, quite thin and fine, yet still covered the bier for the duration. Lacing was quite nice, with lots of stick. Nose had some candyish qualities along with fruity notes, though hopping wasn't noticed much. Had a medium body overall, with low carbonation giving it a decent feel.

Flavos had a decent amount of fruitiness, with some plum and blackberry present. Had a definite spicy character, and there was a good dose rindy, bitter hops, which lingered well. That being said, it really wasn't all that hoppy. Seemed more like a Dubbel to me, actually. Prosit!!

3.6/5 rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

01-15-2012 18:50:25 | More by Bierman9
donkeyrunner

3.58/5  rDev +4.7%

$6 tulip glass @ Canal St.

Ugly as all sin opaque, rusty mud color liquid. Fluffy white head is mostly pomp and circumatance as it quickly settles into a thin skimmed collar. The impressive, delicate lace display left in the wake of it's retreating head is the only thing that keeps HR's appearance out of the unimpressive catagory.

Floral hops leap from the glass so much so that I'm taken aback. Beerworks has never impressed me with their generous use of hops so I must admit I'm pleasantly suprised. Crystal, marmalade sweetness underneath the hoppy onslaught. A little boozey given a hearty whiff. If this is a Belgian style beer I'd like to see some yeast character...there is none.

Grassy, citrus hops again dominate with ample pine resin bitter backing. Bread crust malt characer with complimentary crystal sweetness. There's a hint of much longed for Belgian yeasty spice but it's too little too late.

I'm guessing the idea behind this was a Belgian hoppy amber (Houblon Rouge is French for red hops) with Achouffe yeast. It succeeds on the hop factor, and even the malt bill is sufficient but it's needs some cleaning up appearance-wise, and for that Belgian yeasty goodness to shine through(maybe increase fermentation temp?). I noticed that the pic on BA indicated Brett. My server never indicated it and I certainly didn't taste it - perhaps they left it out of this batch?

12-24-2010 14:02:48 | More by donkeyrunner
ElDavicho

2.78/5  rDev -18.7%

Grabbed a bottle on impulse at the back end of a trip to Boston, poured into a tulip the beer doesn't look so bad, but nothing that stands out. Dirty greyish amber, not quite muddy. Barely one finger of dirty head O_o ....

One wiff told the whole story, not layered at all. Smelled like the most basic of Belgian scents, not a trace of anything worth investigating. Grassy brett without the funk, and thin at that.

Very shallow and thin. Grassy, subtle brett followed by a hollow hoppy rear end. Tastes like someone drank an Oerbier Reserva then peed in my Corona.

Thin, light carbanation. Perfectly drinkable, if you can find something you like about it. It's not a disgusting beer by any means, it doesn't induce vomiting or cringing. It's just poorly thought out and not very good. I finished half a glass and had no inclination to continue.

Reading some other, much earlier reviews I have to wonder if they've changed the recipe, or if these have been siting around in less than ideal conditions as I found none of what the early reviews mention. I could barely make out any malt at all let alone a sturdy backbone.

07-25-2010 01:33:31 | More by ElDavicho
CaptYellow

1.58/5  rDev -53.8%

Perhaps this was a bad bottle. I did trek it from Boston (MA) to Providence (RI) to New Haven (CT) back home to Northern NY. I did try to keep it cool and calm though. None that tried it at my card party liked it.

A: Hard to describe. Opaque orange/brown, not very translucent and not a beer that I'd look at and say "Mmmmm." Big head (almost half the glass when first poured), which quickly dies down and then disappeared.

S: Floral.

T: Floral. Every time I tasted it, the only word that popped into my head was floral. I swill for other flavors and I can't get to any behind the floral. One of the group tried it and his eyes went bug eye. He tasted several flavors but we can call them all floral.

M: Medium.

D: I didn't like it. I'm a person that enjoys just about everything even if they're things I don't like. This had no drinkability. I'd have thrown it away if it wasn't $10 a bottle. A third of the way through my glass I was wishing it was over. I don't think I've ever thought that while drinking beer before. Drinking this was like chewing cardamom pods- a mistake I try to avoid. I wouldn't have this again if it was $1 a pint and I was thirsty. But I hope you like it if you try it.

06-07-2010 03:21:19 | More by CaptYellow
hsway

4.25/5  rDev +24.3%

I had this served in a tulip glass - 14 ounces, I believe. Beautiful deep red color, with a nice off-white microbubble head. Strong hoppy character balanced with a malty, yeasty backbone - nice aromas of fruit and flowers. I kind of felt like I was drinking two beers at the same time, but in this case it wasn't a problem.

03-11-2009 18:02:12 | More by hsway
WillieMoe

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%

Served in a tulip glass. A nice earthey dark reddish amber color, fairly murky. Thin head, with some decent lacing.

Smells of dark fruit smell mixed well with mild hop aromas and a wonderful belgina yeast.

T & M- Has a good hoppiness, with a balance of malt and mild sweet fuitiness. Has a nice body, as neither the alcohol, nor the hops is too overpowering.

Mildly La Fin du Monde-esque, with a little more hop character.

02-09-2009 15:19:35 | More by WillieMoe
IBUnit63

3.43/5  rDev +0.3%

Served up in a tulip...

I hate to say it, but this looks like diarrhea. Sewer brown. Good single finger head and decent lacing and retention.

This needs a bit of warmth for the Belgian character to show-otherwise bitter hay and grass for the most part with slight husky malt

Not bad but not Belgian totally either. Hops dominate earthy malt with straight bitter grass-no esters are really present to me.

The palate is tight as hell from the grassy nature of this deal. Earthy aftertaste.

After all that, it actually drinks better than it should. Otherwise I'm trying to get rid of it. Not true to style by any means and rather disappointing.

02-07-2009 12:46:42 | More by IBUnit63
Reagan1984

3.43/5  rDev +0.3%

Came served in a tulip glass with no head. Showed some decent lacing. Cloudy, muddy amber reddish color.

Spice/yeast aroma. Light fruit.
Mostly the belgian yeast coming through.

Flavor was almost a touch too hoppy. (coming from a hop head)
Spice gets muted due to deep bitterness of the hops. Big lingering bitterness. Does get in the way a bit.
Spice and fruit in the middle, but underneath the hop notes. The more I drank it, the more sweetness came through.

Mouth feel was bright due to tight carbonation and the yeast notes.

Fairly drinkable, I didn't get another though...

Not really that special.

@ Lowell Beer Works, 203 Cabot St, Lowell

01-31-2009 22:13:08 | More by Reagan1984
TrevorGW

4.2/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Dark murky amber with orange hues. A nice thin oily head stands strong.

Aroma is truly fresh with hops and some orange zest.

Taste is wickedly hoppy, but the malt backbone is brilliant and rich. Full-bodied but not boozy. The finish is nice and dry. Very fresh and complex with flavor. Funky caramel is countered by the piny, fruity hops.

Mouthfeel is pretty creamy and smooth on the palette.

A beautiful and delicious sipper.

@ Lowell Beer Works, 203 Cabot St, Lowell