Habanero Stout - Boston Beer Works - Canal Street

American Stout |  ABV ?

Beer added by: circlenine on 07-08-2011

4.26/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was a cask-conditioned offering at the Canal St. location (near the Boston Garden). The waitress warned me it was spicy and was surprised that I still wanted it. The stout was a little chocolaty and you really don't notice the habanero in your mouth at all. It's not until you swallow. Then that burn goes directly to the back of the throat. My mouth was very confused by the coupling of this with jalapeno covered nachos. "You should be drinking something to cool off, not make it worse!"

Had at lowell beer works. It is very interesting not to much on the nose, jet black, white head sticks around for a bit. Can only taste stout on the tongue, plain old dry stout, but wait, what is this, butter? Yes it gets buttery on the palate moving into the nose. It took me a moment to figure it out but the only thing I can taste is butter, not landolakes, I'm talking good Irish butter. Strangest thing. Now here comes the good/bad part. Habanero burn! Right in the throat, which is the sign of dried habanero not fresh. Burns so good but I Gottaa drink it fast. My brain doesn't understand the burn when I drink, typically my beer cools the burn from the food, now it's viceversa. Good, dont get anything bigger than a 12 oz though. Needed some of their IPA to cool off!!

4.43/5  rDev +7%

I had this stout in tap last night after the Red Sox game. It was hands down the best Habanero Stout I have ever had. I wanted a growler but the bartender wouldn't sell it to me because it was 5 minutes of 11. Supposedly this stout was brought in from one of the other locations.

A: Pours and deep dark black color with quarter inch creamy head.

S: Hard to distinguish the habanero in aroma. It was not trendsetting in this category.

T: If you like it hot, you'll enjoy this beer. The first sip or two the malts were noticeable, but a few sips into the pint and the habanero was perfectly dominant in the flavor profile.

M: Medium bodied. There was a slight carbonation present. The best aspect of the mouthfeel was the burn from the habaneros.

O: It was awesome to have a habanero beer done right! Half way through the pint there was a nice mouth burn and the presence of habaneros in your throat... If you've eaten them you know what I'm talking about. The habaneros were the dominant aspect of the beer. My hats off to Boston Beer Works for this one.

Habanero Stout from Boston Beer Works - Canal Street
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.