Smokehouse Porter - Northbound Brewpub

American Porter |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: jera1350 on 10-23-2012

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.07/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great place to sit down with your friends or family. Had a couple different beers that I'll report on later, but the Smokehouse Porter stood out! Paired wonderfully with the smoked fish appetizer and the pulled pork. Balanced with the perfect amount of smoke flavor on the initial smell and taste. I will be enjoying this again when I visit.

4.11/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap.

It all begins with the deep brown, opaque liquid with a light tan, dense head of about a finger's height that quickly becomes a 1/8" ring around the edge.

On the nose, this brew is lightly smoky with roasted and toasty malt aromas and very light, citrus hops.

The flavor comes across as roasty-bitter with a little smokey and a light tartness on the end from the hops. An excellent example of a smoked porter.

Mouth filling and full bodied, this is a big brew. Don't let the midrange alcohol fool you for a minute. Long finishing with light carbonation.

Enjoyable and a perfect companion to their pulled pork sandwiches.

Pub review coming, once I visit a couple more times.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

3.66/5  rDev -9.6%

On tap as part of a sampler tray.

Look - totally opaque, deep brown color; no head or lacing

Smell - no significant odor, some notes of roasted caramel

Taste - sweet caramel malty flavor, smoked flavors

Feel - full bodied, rich feel, lingering sweetness

Overall - very good porter

3.96/5  rDev -2.2%

Love this brew/pub! love the fact they smoke their own stuff and this porter is tasty and goes well with the food at the pub. Any of the smoked food here with this beer is just awesome!

Could this smoked porter be better?
Body wise, it is a lighter body beer then as a porter would be and it carries the smoke quite well. However the finish is to washey and it does not linger as I would want a smoked beer to leave something in my pallet after drinking it. This MIGHT be what the brewer wanted to do as they serve smoked food at this brew pub. However I would prefer some stickiness to the porter with the smoked malt. That would improve mouthfeel.

Regarding taste, I believe some sourness would set this really great brew pub beer on par with it's brother Big Jim.

BLAH BLAH BLAH:
I rate a beer on it's own merits for appearance, smell etc. So very often I rate high. As if I like the beer and enjoy it I then I rate it a 5. So if I like the beer and it looks, tastes, smells and feels good, I WRITE A LOT OF PERFECT ratings. Though clearly I may prefer certain beers to others if I was putting them on a scale and I would never do that. Kinda like picking lovers, all are great (if your humble, though you may prefer one to another depending upon your mood.) Perhaps I find there are so many *S$&#(&!! GREAT BEERS, that I almost always fall in love with each beer for what it is and each brewer/team/family is putting in all their love into and how it fits a style.

I believe it is possible to connect with a brewery via the labors of the breweries love.

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%