Smokehouse Porter - Northbound Brewpub

to view more.
Ratings: 37 | Reviews: 8
Reviews by xmorgan:
3.96/5  rDev -2.2%

Love this brew/pub! love the fact they smoke their own stuff and this porter is tasty and goes well with the food at the pub. Any of the smoked food here with this beer is just awesome!

Could this smoked porter be better?
Body wise, it is a lighter body beer then as a porter would be and it carries the smoke quite well. However the finish is to washey and it does not linger as I would want a smoked beer to leave something in my pallet after drinking it. This MIGHT be what the brewer wanted to do as they serve smoked food at this brew pub. However I would prefer some stickiness to the porter with the smoked malt. That would improve mouthfeel.

Regarding taste, I believe some sourness would set this really great brew pub beer on par with it's brother Big Jim.

BLAH BLAH BLAH:
I rate a beer on it's own merits for appearance, smell etc. So very often I rate high. As if I like the beer and enjoy it I then I rate it a 5. So if I like the beer and it looks, tastes, smells and feels good, I WRITE A LOT OF PERFECT ratings. Though clearly I may prefer certain beers to others if I was putting them on a scale and I would never do that. Kinda like picking lovers, all are great (if your humble, though you may prefer one to another depending upon your mood.) Perhaps I find there are so many *S$&#(&!! GREAT BEERS, that I almost always fall in love with each beer for what it is and each brewer/team/family is putting in all their love into and how it fits a style.

I believe it is possible to connect with a brewery via the labors of the breweries love.

3.84/5  rDev -5.2%

Black brew that leaves a moderate amount of lacing down the glass. Smells on the sweeter side with notes of caramel, chocolate, and some smoke. Taste follows suit. Beer geeks would like more smoke but at the current level, more approachable for the neophytes. Definitely sweet caramel with notes of chocolate. No roast, and low bitterness. Has a healthy body and good carbonation out of the tap. Guess I am not surprised by the ABV level with the amount of body this beer flaunts. This is not a smoke porter or an old world porter, but along the lines of the standard American porter. Definitely not a destination brew but it does go well with their menu.

3.66/5  rDev -9.6%

On tap as part of a sampler tray.

Look - totally opaque, deep brown color; no head or lacing

Smell - no significant odor, some notes of roasted caramel

Taste - sweet caramel malty flavor, smoked flavors

Feel - full bodied, rich feel, lingering sweetness

Overall - very good porter

Black body with tan head. Recedes to thin cap after a minute. Lacing is present although minimal.

Chocolate creamy roast on the nose with minimal smoke, if any. Regardless, a good porter nose.

Starts with nice bakers chocolate, cream and a clean Acidity on the finish.

Low carbonation and good body.

Overall a good porter.

4.41/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer arrives an opaque black color. The head is a quarter inch in height, and recedes quickly into minimal lacing. The arome is of roasted malt with hints of smoke and milk chocolate. The taste is of smoked roasted malt, chocolate, smores with a nice roasted malt bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with appropriately moderate carbonation, and s somewhat chewy texture. Overall, this is a reaaly good smoked porter. It's not as smokey as some, but it sure does pair perfectly with Northbound's food.

4.11/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap.

It all begins with the deep brown, opaque liquid with a light tan, dense head of about a finger's height that quickly becomes a 1/8" ring around the edge.

On the nose, this brew is lightly smoky with roasted and toasty malt aromas and very light, citrus hops.

The flavor comes across as roasty-bitter with a little smokey and a light tartness on the end from the hops. An excellent example of a smoked porter.

Mouth filling and full bodied, this is a big brew. Don't let the midrange alcohol fool you for a minute. Long finishing with light carbonation.

Enjoyable and a perfect companion to their pulled pork sandwiches.

Pub review coming, once I visit a couple more times.

Great place to sit down with your friends or family. Had a couple different beers that I'll report on later, but the Smokehouse Porter stood out! Paired wonderfully with the smoked fish appetizer and the pulled pork. Balanced with the perfect amount of smoke flavor on the initial smell and taste. I will be enjoying this again when I visit.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

From the Northbound website:

"As far as porters go, this one is heavier on the caramel malt and lighter on the roast malt. 5% of the base malt is smoke in-house for a smoky complexity. This beer will pair well with most of our menu items. And weighing in at 6.2% ABV it can also be your winter warmer."

As a fan of smoked beers, this beer was on my radar.

Served in a pint glass a solid black with just a thin layer of foam on top.

Smells of rich and sweet malts, maybe some chocolate. Just a hint of smoke deep down, but that's it.

This is a big flavored porter. Rich, sweet malts with some roasty notes. Great depth of flavor, but with only a small hint of smoked malt. The hell? I really dig the flavor of this beer, but if this was a blind tasting, I probably wouldn't know it was a smoked porter.

Very rich for the style, pretty thick and very slick feel to it.

I like this beer a lot overall, but it is not a very smoke forward smoked porter. That leaves me disappointed personally, but the masses will like this porter. The porter itself is wonderful, but it is missing that smoked component. I would have this again in the future regardless though.

to view more.