Big Jim IPA - Northbound Brewpub

Big Jim IPA
No picture uploaded.

Northbound Brewpub visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: jera1350 on 10-23-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

Jeffrey2310, May 05, 2014

billhelm, Apr 18, 2014

MNBeerGeek, Mar 08, 2014

Mdog, Mar 02, 2014

A: Copper color with a ivory colored head that faded quickly leaving a fare amount of lacing.

S: Big citrus, grapefruit but a little sweet.

T: Big Hoppy beer with a nice hop / malt balance / body. I mean HOPPY but smooth and quite easy to drink 1 or 4 pints of this beer. It is a little too strong to be a session beer, however I have turned it into such. I am thankful for Growlers as I can take the beer to the safety of my home.

M: Nice bitter finish, yet not so dry it remains refreshing and that is it's dangerous point, it is a little high ABV for such a refreshing beer.

O:Is it the best IPA in MLPS? There is no Best, they are all &%^@#A tasty. Point being stick me on a desert isle with BIG JIM and an ugly women, come back in 10 years and your have a basketball team and a happy family.

BLAH BLAH BLAH:
I rate a beer on it's own merits for appearance, smell etc. So very often I rate high. As if I like the beer and enjoy it I then I rate it a 5. So if I like the beer and it looks, tastes, smells and feels good, I WRITE A LOT OF PERFECT ratings. Though clearly I may prefer certain beers to others if I was putting them on a scale and I would never do that. Kinda like picking lovers, all are great (if your humble, though you may prefer one to another depending upon your mood.) Perhaps I find there are so many *S$&#(&!! GREAT BEERS, that I almost always fall in love with each beer for what it is and each brewer/team/family is putting in all their love into and how it fits a style.

I believe it is possible to connect with a brewery via the labors of the breweries love.

xmorgan, Jan 18, 2014

joh02034, Dec 08, 2013

mmulebarn, Nov 13, 2013

Kenai4, Oct 19, 2013
4.05/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

On tap as part of a sampler tray.

Look - rich amber color, no head or lacing

Smell - strong notes of grapefruit, also notes of freshly cut grass

Taste - hop forward flavor, intense bitterness

Feel - some sense of carbonation, medium bodied, strong lingering bitterness

Overall - very good IPA

dbriesemeister, Sep 01, 2013

KWMiles, Aug 13, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

SaxmanRick, Jun 21, 2013

gatornation, May 21, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

NB SM Big Jim IPA. Named for brewer/owner Jamie Robinson's father, who was not a tall man at all. This one was a big seller from the start, and used to run out so quickly that it took a few visits before I could find it. When it was erased from the chalkboard, boos ensued, and it's readmission to the ranks on tap caused great cheering and exultation. Neighborhood beer lovers threatened to burn the building down when they were alerted to it's absence, and gangs of disgruntled beer geeks roamed the streets looking for Jamie, noose in hand.
(okay, that last sentence is entirely invented.)

Lightly hazed. Color edges between orange and red, with a nice, white, lacy head that unfortunately, with this pour at least, drifts down too quickly.

Aroma: moderate hop presence, with notes of grapefruit and orange, with sweet malt presence beneath.

Taste: Big, fat hop attack at the fore, pleasantly bitter and juicy and once. Bitterness hangs on the tongue, gets cozy, relaxes, and hangs out in the back. Citrus fruits are largest in the flavor, with portions of pine joining in. There's another factor in the flavor: deliciousness. Malt presence has something to do with this, I'm sure.

Here's how Jamie describes it on the website: "With Town Hall’s Masala Mama and Surly’s Furious, it seems as though there is a new Minnesota style of IPA emerging. Because these are two of my favorite interpretations of the IPA style, I decided to make my own intense IPA. Cascade, Mt. Hood, and an enormous amount of Columbus hops late in the brew and in the fermenter give this beer the hop punch IPA lovers crave. There is also a significant malt backbone and complexity to this beer to stand up to the hop intensity. At 7.2% ABV and roughly 90IBUs, this is my tribute to the style I call the Minnesota IPA."

I tell you what: this gets tastier the more I drink it, and, yeah, it does remind me quite a bit of Masala Mama, and a little bit of Furious. The juicy and the fruity starts to lead the bitter, and they make a terrific tango. No wonder this is a hit at the brewpub, for we are for damned sure a city full of hopheads. Makes me wonder what might have happened if Surly came out with a scotch and an amber ale, instead of Furious. We're dyed-in-the-wool hop freaks here, make no mistake.

feloniousmonk, May 17, 2013