Big Jim IPA - Northbound Brewpub

Beer added by: jera1350 on 10-23-2012

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Miketwolf21:
4.17/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Read Edit (5/10/13)

I really wanted to like this one. The brewery is in a great area of town and seemed to nail the description of what I want from an IPA.

A: Coppery while being slightly on the gold side. The ivory colored head faded as I got ready for my first smell, then sip.

S: Wow, way more caramel than I was expecting from this 90 IBU beer. Crystal 60 seemed to battle for my attention like a 6 year old drama queen. The hops did come through and presented a nice combination of herbal and sweet citrus goodness. Just too much one noted crystal malt in the aroma for my liking.

T: From the aroma I knew that the my preconception of a hop-forward ale needed to be thrown away. The taste was rather malty sweet with large impressions of caramel and toffee. The hops did come through as the beer reached the back of my tongue with a quick uppercut of Columbus hops (spicy, herbal, and a touch of citrus). Still every flavor seemed to be anchored by the incredible amounts of caramel malt that were used. Maybe if they had a more aggressive yeast to dry out the malty sweet taste a bit...

M: I was impressed by how the carbonation thankfully cut through the chewy, thick body of the IPA. Just right. Still the IPA was a tad too syrupy.

Overall, this is a slightly above average IPA. If they could tone down the crystal malts used, I would personally like it much more. The hops just have no chance to sing. Still with excellent local IPAs and hoppy beers (Surly Furious, Town Hall Masala Mama, and Indeed Daytripper) I will probably pass on another trip to Northbound when I am in search of an IPA. I tried their Pacific Jade double IPA that seemed to have much more citrusy hops, but plagued by massive amounts of caramel malts.

***EDIT***
It seems as though they may have worked a few kinks out in the system and have polished their previously under attenuated product. Now it is ripe with flavors of ripe cantaloupe and grapefruit instead of that overriding malt sweetness. The body has thinned to something more expected for the style.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

On tap as part of a sampler tray.

Look - rich amber color, no head or lacing

Smell - strong notes of grapefruit, also notes of freshly cut grass

Taste - hop forward flavor, intense bitterness

Feel - some sense of carbonation, medium bodied, strong lingering bitterness

Overall - very good IPA

4.41/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer arrives a hazy amber-orange color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes slowly into a small cap of lacing. The aroma is apricot, passion fruit, tangerines and grapefruit. The taste is similar to the aroma, but fuller. This is one juice beer, but that is balanced nicely by a firm bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with lively carbonation, and a silky texture. Overall, this is a fine IPA that I will surely order again.

3.39/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Copper color with a ivory colored head that faded quickly leaving a fare amount of lacing.

S: Big citrus, grapefruit but a little sweet.

T: Big Hoppy beer with a nice hop / malt balance / body. I mean HOPPY but smooth and quite easy to drink 1 or 4 pints of this beer. It is a little too strong to be a session beer, however I have turned it into such. I am thankful for Growlers as I can take the beer to the safety of my home.

M: Nice bitter finish, yet not so dry it remains refreshing and that is it's dangerous point, it is a little high ABV for such a refreshing beer.

O:Is it the best IPA in MLPS? There is no Best, they are all &%^@#A tasty. Point being stick me on a desert isle with BIG JIM and an ugly women, come back in 10 years and your have a basketball team and a happy family.

BLAH BLAH BLAH:
I rate a beer on it's own merits for appearance, smell etc. So very often I rate high. As if I like the beer and enjoy it I then I rate it a 5. So if I like the beer and it looks, tastes, smells and feels good, I WRITE A LOT OF PERFECT ratings. Though clearly I may prefer certain beers to others if I was putting them on a scale and I would never do that. Kinda like picking lovers, all are great (if your humble, though you may prefer one to another depending upon your mood.) Perhaps I find there are so many *S$&#(&!! GREAT BEERS, that I almost always fall in love with each beer for what it is and each brewer/team/family is putting in all their love into and how it fits a style.

I believe it is possible to connect with a brewery via the labors of the breweries love.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »