Big Jim IPA - Northbound Brewpub

Big Jim IPA
No picture uploaded.

Northbound Brewpub visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: jera1350 on 10-23-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by xmorgan:

A: Copper color with a ivory colored head that faded quickly leaving a fare amount of lacing.

S: Big citrus, grapefruit but a little sweet.

T: Big Hoppy beer with a nice hop / malt balance / body. I mean HOPPY but smooth and quite easy to drink 1 or 4 pints of this beer. It is a little too strong to be a session beer, however I have turned it into such. I am thankful for Growlers as I can take the beer to the safety of my home.

M: Nice bitter finish, yet not so dry it remains refreshing and that is it's dangerous point, it is a little high ABV for such a refreshing beer.

O:Is it the best IPA in MLPS? There is no Best, they are all &%^@#A tasty. Point being stick me on a desert isle with BIG JIM and an ugly women, come back in 10 years and your have a basketball team and a happy family.

BLAH BLAH BLAH:
I rate a beer on it's own merits for appearance, smell etc. So very often I rate high. As if I like the beer and enjoy it I then I rate it a 5. So if I like the beer and it looks, tastes, smells and feels good, I WRITE A LOT OF PERFECT ratings. Though clearly I may prefer certain beers to others if I was putting them on a scale and I would never do that. Kinda like picking lovers, all are great (if your humble, though you may prefer one to another depending upon your mood.) Perhaps I find there are so many *S$&#(&!! GREAT BEERS, that I almost always fall in love with each beer for what it is and each brewer/team/family is putting in all their love into and how it fits a style.

I believe it is possible to connect with a brewery via the labors of the breweries love.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

On tap as part of a sampler tray.

Look - rich amber color, no head or lacing

Smell - strong notes of grapefruit, also notes of freshly cut grass

Taste - hop forward flavor, intense bitterness

Feel - some sense of carbonation, medium bodied, strong lingering bitterness

Overall - very good IPA

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer arrives a hazy amber-orange color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes slowly into a small cap of lacing. The aroma is apricot, passion fruit, tangerines and grapefruit. The taste is similar to the aroma, but fuller. This is one juice beer, but that is balanced nicely by a firm bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with lively carbonation, and a silky texture. Overall, this is a fine IPA that I will surely order again.

3.34/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%