2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Captain Kool IPA - Geaghan's Restaurant & Pub

Captain Kool IPA
No picture uploaded.

Geaghan's Restaurant & Pub visit their website
Maine, United States

(Beer added by: deltatauhobbit on 01-30-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 7 | Reviews: 2 | Show All Ratings:
GarthDanielson

3.39/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured on-tap and served in a tumbler pint, the beer is a bright, orange-copper coloring with a silmy, white ring of head. Good lacing as you drink. Nose of grapefruit and caramel, with a resiny, bitter hops profile. Flavors are grapefruit and green hops on the forward tongue, with a cut grass characteristic blended throughout. Pine highlights, with a bitter, dry aftertaste. Light bodied, giving a clean, dry finish. Tasty brew.

02-25-2013 01:32:23 | More by GarthDanielson
deltatauhobbit

Maine

4.61/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From a 32oz growler bought at the restaurant a couple days ago, pre-filled and sealed.

Pours a clear golden color, decent sized head on the first vigerous pour, fades very slowly with some patchy lacing, the following two pours yielded less head but still showed ample carbonation activity.

Smell has a strong citrusy pine aroma, I was quite surprised at how strong of an aroma as I wasn't expecting much from this new restaurant brewery.

Taste has a great kick of pine and citrus as demonstrated by the nose, the piney bitter aftertaste lingers for a good while, there is a malt backing that helps to balance things but this is definitely on the hoppy side, carbonation is active yet soft that lent a nice body and creaminess.

I have to say this beer blew my expectations away, I wish I had gotten this on tap when I ate dinner there this past Sunday. As I finished the 32oz growler (I know! A small growler!), it reminded me a bit of Pliney the Elder. Needless to say, if they continue to have this available I'll be sure to stop by and pick up more growlers when I'm in the Bangor area visiting family. Probably one of my favorite IPAs to come out of Maine in awhile (it certainly straddles the line of a regular IPA to DIPA though).

Serving type: growler

01-30-2013 02:19:00 | More by deltatauhobbit
Captain Kool IPA from Geaghan's Restaurant & Pub
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.