Grapefruit Harvest IPA - Abita Brewing Co.

Grapefruit Harvest IPAGrapefruit Harvest IPA

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Mikecap on 11-29-2013

Ratings: 483 | Reviews: 115

This is hands down my favorite brew by Abita. Bright, floral, and obviously a ton of citrus are present. Pleasing aroma on pour. While it's labeled an IPA the normally hoppiness is muted by the other flavors but this is by no means a bad thing as it drastically improves the drinkability. I hate that this is only a winter seasonal beer because I would love to have this available in the summer.

4.94/5  rDev +40.3%

Has to be one of my favorite IPAs.

4.65/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 ounce bottle = $2.50

a nice surprise. Refreshing and I wish I had a few more.

S- sublime grapefruit hop

T- it tasted like the aroma. good.

M- Smooth refreshing clean hop

O- I really enjoyed this brew. I am not a fan of flavored beer but this worked well for my palate

4.61/5  rDev +31%

As I am a Grapefruit everything addict I love this beer. Great Grapefruit smell when you pour into a glass. First sip you can taste and smell some grapefruit and the aftertaste really comes through. Not the best Grapefruit IPA but up there and a decent price.

4.57/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great Citrus IPA. Delicious beer

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

I don't even like grapefruit that much, but the flavor works excellently in an IPA. Refreshing, and not too heavy.

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

Great citrus ipa good look

4.45/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed this unique brew, sample at a beefest.

4.42/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Easy drinking ale with primarily grapefruit notes, slight late hops flavor.

4.37/5  rDev +24.1%

Refreshing and balanced with a burst of hop; The grapefruit flavor Is just enough.

4.35/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This tastes just like ruby red grapefruit juice. So good! Light and drinkable. Can't wait to get more for summer so refreshing! Their fruit beer is so real not artificial!

4.23/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured from a pint glass.

A: Poured a dark golden color with a good fingers worth of head that settles to a ring with spotty lacing from start to finish.

S: I'm getting some light floral hop, a burst of grapefruit and a little sweet malt at the end.

T: Pretty normal IPA, hops are the biggest thing you taste...with a little sweet malt.... Then the wonderful sweet/bitter grapefruit kicks in.. Great balance with a lightly bitter aftertaste.

M: Light to mid bodied with a nice crisp carbonation. Little lighter than most IPA's I'm had.

O: OK... I'm not a big IPA guy but I have to say I really like this one... Good ABV makes this on a good session beer. Worth looking for.

4.08/5  rDev +15.9%

A surprisingly good fruity ipa. Close to the strawberry which I prefer in summer, this was good

4.04/5  rDev +14.8%

12 oz bottle pours a hazed gold color with an ample cap of white head. Retention is ok, but lacing is awesome.

Nose is straight up grapefruit rinds. Wow, smells just like a fresh cut grapefruit with a little sugar drizzled on top.

Taste is citric, medium bitterness and light biscuity malt. All the flavors come together quite nicely here, I am digging this Abita Harvest release. Smooth and easy to drink. It is not overly bitter or hop flavored for that matter, but the grapefruit really shines. Unique and thirst-quenching. I will buy more of this for sure.

4.03/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, golden colored with a nice white head that lingers leaving some lacing, slight haze

S: very much grapefruit with a little fruity hops, slightly sweet

T: taste is of ruby red grapefruit up front, noticeable but not powerful, fades to a bitter hop flavor of grapefruit peel, hop flavor is one dimensional, finish has more red grapefruit flavor

M: lighter to medium body, good carbonation

O: I really like the flavor of this beer. The grapefruit is there but not overpowering. It would have been better though with more layers of hop flavors.

4.03/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: Expected some haze given this is a fruit beer, but it has good clarity, holds a bright white head of foam.

Smell: Grapefruit. Nice, just as it should be. Overpowers most other beer flavors, but it smells great!

Taste: Again, grapefruit, juicy, bit of peel, the base beer is pretty bland, not a lot of hop punch but a lot of bitterness from the grapefruit makes it a good package.

Mouthfeel: Light body, good carbonation level didn't go fizzy. A little more heft here would have helped, again, a light base beer.

Overall: Very happy I got the 6 pack, will be enjoying.

Note to BA admins, This beer is not retired. Just picked up a fresh sixer yesterday.

I liked this - I wouldn't want to have more than one at a time, but I enjoyed it.

Nice beer with left over thanksgiving. Enough grape fruit to cut the heavy potata toes and stuffing

Excellent! This is just as I imagined it could be - great!

It looks like a good AIPA - nice and yellow/orange with just a bit of lacing. The aroma is a nice unique blend of grapefruit and hoppy goodness. It works.

Similarly, the taste is a great balanced AIPA with a bit of added tartness from a grapefruit additive. It totally works - it is like an APA, but with a lot going on. The aftertaste similarly is very tart but totally refreshing. It all works.

An interesting experiment would be a 2x - make it maltier and just a tad more grapefruit. As it is, though, this is a well made, unique brew. Recommended.

I spotted this beer on my walk in the beer section of Publix, and thought "hummnnn, this might be good".

IPA's and grapefruit are a match made in heaven (like peanut butter and stouts). I figure that they couldn't possibly screw it up!

A: This beer is very clean and pale. It comes off on the lighter side of straw. Not too shabby
S: This beers smells is pretty subtle. A combination of light malt and sweet grapefruit, but its very subtly. Might be a lot stronger in a better glass (like a widemouth mason jar or a sniffer).

Which is what I did. I poured it in a mason jar and it actually smelled a bit like peaches. Pretty snazzy.
T: What is their to say? it tastes like blood orange soda........no wait, it tastes like a shandy I made with a IPA and blood orange soda. Id say that they nailed what it is they where going for

Overall: I originally gave this one a rather lower rating, but upon inspection, I really have to give it the thumbs up. To rehash, this beer tastes like a IPA shandy. That's a really good thing, and I even think it would be good for people looking to get into IPA's or craft beer in general.

A good find off the Publix shelves. Make sure to request that they stock more beers like this one.

(Id drink this beer again)
4/5

3.98/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I’ve begun searching for the ideal after-mowing-the-lawn brew for the summer. I’ve enjoyed a few homebrews with fresh citrus (typically orange) zest over the years. The use of fruit bitterness to replace or augment some of the otherwise-too-hoppy-for-summer IBU count of a typical IPA appeals to me. Given Abita’s reputation and a relatively low IBU of 40 for an IPA, I figured I check this one out.

Appearance- hazy and inviting – ideal straw-colored lightness for sipping while watching a summer sunset

Aroma- grapefruit blends nicely with cascade hop character

Taste- grapefruit dominates and persists, but a bit too tart and dry for my palate. Abita uses Ruby Red grapefruit zest, but I’m not sufficiently discerning to detect whether this differs from white grapefruit.

Overall- This IPA has the right balance I’m looking for – not too hoppy and yet sufficiently refreshing, but I’d prefer something a little less tart.

Tweaks – I happened to have a growler of Great South Bay’s Blood Orange Pale Ale in the fridge, so I tried a 50/50 blend. Result: perfection! Reminiscent of the Bluebird Orange Grapefruit Juice I drank as a kid.

3.98/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

this grapefruit harvest ipa is one of the best things from abita that ive had. color is a nice gold with a slight haze. the smell of this beer is fantastic- there is a ton of grapfruit in the nose and is morphs into hops and back to grapefruit again. the hopy ipa and the grapefruit go really great together. the taste also pairs the grapefruit bitter sweet with the bitter from the hops really well. there seems to be a bit of zest in the flavor that i havnt had in other grapefruit beers. i really like this grapefruit ipa and i am gonna make sure to pick some more up.

3.96/5  rDev +12.5%

A – A hazy light gold with small suspended particles. A thick white one finger head that leaves chunky lacing around the glass as it dissolves.

S – it has nice smooth grapefruit smell with a little malt in the background

T – the taste is the same as the smell. Has a nice well balanced taste of grapefruit without being over powering

M – has a medium body mouth feel with a light amount of carbonation.

O - overall this is a great beer if you like grapefruit. It’s smooth and not overpowering. A drinkable beer with great flavor that last. I wouldn’t change a thing about this beer, it stands on its own.

Enjoy-

3.94/5  rDev +11.9%

A-Hazy gold color that had a white head that lingered and left a good lacing. The look of the beer looks like it would glow in the dark.
S-sweet grapefruit aroma that is almost like sugar
T-I got the same sweet grapefruit taste at first, then I got a hop bitter aftertaste with the grapefruit moving to the background
M- medium body and high carbonation
O-I enjoyed this beer and the name is fitting, because the grapefruit is the main character

Grapefruit Harvest IPA from Abita Brewing Co.