Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Grapefruit Harvest IPA | Abita Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

Added by Mikecap on 11-29-2013

Reviews: 108 | Ratings: 561

This is hands down my favorite brew by Abita. Bright, floral, and obviously a ton of citrus are present. Pleasing aroma on pour. While it's labeled an IPA the normally hoppiness is muted by the other flavors but this is by no means a bad thing as it drastically improves the drinkability. I hate that this is only a winter seasonal beer because I would love to have this available in the summer.

4.65/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 ounce bottle = $2.50

a nice surprise. Refreshing and I wish I had a few more.

S- sublime grapefruit hop

T- it tasted like the aroma. good.

M- Smooth refreshing clean hop

O- I really enjoyed this brew. I am not a fan of flavored beer but this worked well for my palate

4.61/5  rDev +28.4%

As I am a Grapefruit everything addict I love this beer. Great Grapefruit smell when you pour into a glass. First sip you can taste and smell some grapefruit and the aftertaste really comes through. Not the best Grapefruit IPA but up there and a decent price.

4.36/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Pours a nice thick head, light yellow, semi opaque with lots of sediment visible. Little carbonation bubbles.

Smells of sweet hops, flowers, grapefruit. Very pleasant

Taste is complex, quick bits of corn flow into hops and sweet grapefruit fighting for attention.

Feels good, light, good bite from hops at end of the sip with grapeftruit leaving a taste on the tongue.

This is nice, perfect amount of grape fruit that doesn't taste overly fruity, or artificial .

4.35/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This tastes just like ruby red grapefruit juice. So good! Light and drinkable. Can't wait to get more for summer so refreshing! Their fruit beer is so real not artificial!

4.31/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Let me just say I love this beer. That outta the way I'm not a fan of unnecessary fruit or sediment in a beer. Color is nice and golden. Mouthfeel a bit full bodied but not unpleasant. Lots of grapefruit almost Radler style but not out shining the hops rather blending well with them. Well worth a try. I love it!

4.23/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured from a pint glass.

A: Poured a dark golden color with a good fingers worth of head that settles to a ring with spotty lacing from start to finish.

S: I'm getting some light floral hop, a burst of grapefruit and a little sweet malt at the end.

T: Pretty normal IPA, hops are the biggest thing you taste...with a little sweet malt.... Then the wonderful sweet/bitter grapefruit kicks in.. Great balance with a lightly bitter aftertaste.

M: Light to mid bodied with a nice crisp carbonation. Little lighter than most IPA's I'm had.

O: OK... I'm not a big IPA guy but I have to say I really like this one... Good ABV makes this on a good session beer. Worth looking for.

4.12/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from the tap into a pint glass. The appearance is a nice murky gold with a medium sized white head. The aroma is big on grapefruit, hops and grain. The taste is a nice blend of hops and citrus, really good flavor.

4.04/5  rDev +12.5%

12 oz bottle pours a hazed gold color with an ample cap of white head. Retention is ok, but lacing is awesome.

Nose is straight up grapefruit rinds. Wow, smells just like a fresh cut grapefruit with a little sugar drizzled on top.

Taste is citric, medium bitterness and light biscuity malt. All the flavors come together quite nicely here, I am digging this Abita Harvest release. Smooth and easy to drink. It is not overly bitter or hop flavored for that matter, but the grapefruit really shines. Unique and thirst-quenching. I will buy more of this for sure.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, golden colored with a nice white head that lingers leaving some lacing, slight haze

S: very much grapefruit with a little fruity hops, slightly sweet

T: taste is of ruby red grapefruit up front, noticeable but not powerful, fades to a bitter hop flavor of grapefruit peel, hop flavor is one dimensional, finish has more red grapefruit flavor

M: lighter to medium body, good carbonation

O: I really like the flavor of this beer. The grapefruit is there but not overpowering. It would have been better though with more layers of hop flavors.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: Expected some haze given this is a fruit beer, but it has good clarity, holds a bright white head of foam.

Smell: Grapefruit. Nice, just as it should be. Overpowers most other beer flavors, but it smells great!

Taste: Again, grapefruit, juicy, bit of peel, the base beer is pretty bland, not a lot of hop punch but a lot of bitterness from the grapefruit makes it a good package.

Mouthfeel: Light body, good carbonation level didn't go fizzy. A little more heft here would have helped, again, a light base beer.

Overall: Very happy I got the 6 pack, will be enjoying.

Excellent! This is just as I imagined it could be - great!

It looks like a good AIPA - nice and yellow/orange with just a bit of lacing. The aroma is a nice unique blend of grapefruit and hoppy goodness. It works.

Similarly, the taste is a great balanced AIPA with a bit of added tartness from a grapefruit additive. It totally works - it is like an APA, but with a lot going on. The aftertaste similarly is very tart but totally refreshing. It all works.

An interesting experiment would be a 2x - make it maltier and just a tad more grapefruit. As it is, though, this is a well made, unique brew. Recommended.

I spotted this beer on my walk in the beer section of Publix, and thought "hummnnn, this might be good".

IPA's and grapefruit are a match made in heaven (like peanut butter and stouts). I figure that they couldn't possibly screw it up!

A: This beer is very clean and pale. It comes off on the lighter side of straw. Not too shabby
S: This beers smells is pretty subtle. A combination of light malt and sweet grapefruit, but its very subtly. Might be a lot stronger in a better glass (like a widemouth mason jar or a sniffer).

Which is what I did. I poured it in a mason jar and it actually smelled a bit like peaches. Pretty snazzy.
T: What is their to say? it tastes like blood orange soda........no wait, it tastes like a shandy I made with a IPA and blood orange soda. Id say that they nailed what it is they where going for

Overall: I originally gave this one a rather lower rating, but upon inspection, I really have to give it the thumbs up. To rehash, this beer tastes like a IPA shandy. That's a really good thing, and I even think it would be good for people looking to get into IPA's or craft beer in general.

A good find off the Publix shelves. Make sure to request that they stock more beers like this one.

(Id drink this beer again)
4/5

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I’ve begun searching for the ideal after-mowing-the-lawn brew for the summer. I’ve enjoyed a few homebrews with fresh citrus (typically orange) zest over the years. The use of fruit bitterness to replace or augment some of the otherwise-too-hoppy-for-summer IBU count of a typical IPA appeals to me. Given Abita’s reputation and a relatively low IBU of 40 for an IPA, I figured I check this one out.

Appearance- hazy and inviting – ideal straw-colored lightness for sipping while watching a summer sunset

Aroma- grapefruit blends nicely with cascade hop character

Taste- grapefruit dominates and persists, but a bit too tart and dry for my palate. Abita uses Ruby Red grapefruit zest, but I’m not sufficiently discerning to detect whether this differs from white grapefruit.

Overall- This IPA has the right balance I’m looking for – not too hoppy and yet sufficiently refreshing, but I’d prefer something a little less tart.

Tweaks – I happened to have a growler of Great South Bay’s Blood Orange Pale Ale in the fridge, so I tried a 50/50 blend. Result: perfection! Reminiscent of the Bluebird Orange Grapefruit Juice I drank as a kid.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

this grapefruit harvest ipa is one of the best things from abita that ive had. color is a nice gold with a slight haze. the smell of this beer is fantastic- there is a ton of grapfruit in the nose and is morphs into hops and back to grapefruit again. the hopy ipa and the grapefruit go really great together. the taste also pairs the grapefruit bitter sweet with the bitter from the hops really well. there seems to be a bit of zest in the flavor that i havnt had in other grapefruit beers. i really like this grapefruit ipa and i am gonna make sure to pick some more up.

3.96/5  rDev +10.3%

A – A hazy light gold with small suspended particles. A thick white one finger head that leaves chunky lacing around the glass as it dissolves.

S – it has nice smooth grapefruit smell with a little malt in the background

T – the taste is the same as the smell. Has a nice well balanced taste of grapefruit without being over powering

M – has a medium body mouth feel with a light amount of carbonation.

O - overall this is a great beer if you like grapefruit. It’s smooth and not overpowering. A drinkable beer with great flavor that last. I wouldn’t change a thing about this beer, it stands on its own.

Enjoy-

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%

I've had plenty of fruit beers. Some taste like beer with a hint of fruit, others taste like fruit with a hint of beer. Depending on the style of beer and fruit, I prefer one over the other. With other fruit IPA's I prefer beer with a hint of fruit. Though many IPAs often have a citrus component to their flavor.

With this IPA, it tastes like grapefruit with a hint of IPA. It's not awful, but I think I'd rather taste more of the IPA than the grapefruit. Though this may be a good intro IPA to people who can't tolerate too much bitterness.

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%

A-Hazy gold color that had a white head that lingered and left a good lacing. The look of the beer looks like it would glow in the dark.
S-sweet grapefruit aroma that is almost like sugar
T-I got the same sweet grapefruit taste at first, then I got a hop bitter aftertaste with the grapefruit moving to the background
M- medium body and high carbonation
O-I enjoyed this beer and the name is fitting, because the grapefruit is the main character

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%

My first fruity beer and I liked it. Tastes like an IPA with a grapefruit aftertaste, imagine that! Nice balance. I'd drink again for a change of pace. Refreshing. Nice job. Cheers!

3.92/5  rDev +9.2%

After disliking Abita's Purple Haze with raspberries and absolutely hating their Strawberry Harvest Lager, I was hesitant to try another fruit beer from the brewery, especially at my neighborhood bar where it was going for $7/tulip glass.

I was pleasantly surprised by this IPA. If you enjoy citrus-y IPAs and Mosaic and Citra hops, you'll probably like this. The flavour and aroma reminded me more of hops than of fruit additives, which in my opinion is a good thing. Excellent aroma, excellent flavour, lovely mouthfeel, nice and dry with the right amount of carbonation.

I'm looking forward to finding this in 6-packs or on tap for less than seven bucks. I could get through a lot of this during the summer.

3.92/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This beer is a thick orange color, shining bright despite its heavy look. A foamy not-quite-white head diminishes to a thin layer somewhat quickly, and it leaves a thin ring where it settles followed by spotty lacing.
The grapefruit really integrates into this beer's profile well. It stands out as key while letting the bitterness take over. The bitterness itself never gets too hard but is on the level for a solid IPA. It's bright and citrusy with that particular grapefruit pith and just enough bite, leading into a gently lingering finish.
It's lightly but consistently smooth all the way through with a smoothness that really moves nicely on the palate. Its feel is firm but soft, and it's got a nice depth to it.

3.92/5  rDev +9.2%

This poured nice from the 12 oz bottle into a Mason Jar, great thick white head and fair lace, good honey gold color that looks inviting. Aroma is pith with just a hint of Grapefruit...could've been pith from any citrus fruit. Taste was very good in that the Grapefruit really steps up, this is not a HARDCORE IPA and I'm glad it's not because this is a refreshing IPA that has a solid fruit flavor and a great finish that hangs on. Mouthfeel is crisp in a light to medium range with a slightly bitter edge in the finish. Overall this is a solid beer for what it says it offers, I really enjoyed this and I'm glad I picked it up...If I wanted a hard IPA I would seek it out but if I'm looking for a tasty Grapefruit IPA I'd grab a 6 pack of this one here.

3.91/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I have been working diligently of late to winnow down (especially) the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody and I uncovered a buncha Abita beers! This is the last of the lot and since I began the afternoon with a fruited session AIPA, this seemed like a reasonable follow-up.

From the bottle: "Abita Grapefruit Harvest is a brilliant golden I.P.A. with a subtle zest of grapefruit flavor and aroma that enhances the strong hop character. This bright, snappy brew is made with real Louisiana Ruby-Red grapefruits, pale, pilsner and caramel malts and cascade hops."

I Pop!ped the cap and, having noticed a god bit of lees in the punt/kick, I went with an incredibly gentle pour. A healthy swirl raised a finger of fizzy, foamy, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was Yellow-Gold with NE-quality clarity, bespeaking my prowess at decanting from the lees. The Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon dropped by for a taste as a result. Nose was, well, zesty! It was like grapefruit zest, made by grating the peel of the fruit. I learned how to make it in HomeEc in high school, but I do it sometimes for cocktails. Very bitter, very tart and now my mouth was watering at the prospect. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was huge with grapefruit! It was like a glass of freshly-squeezed juice. Phew! That'll pucker you up! Once I got done making a duck face, I began to think about its finish. It was dry, but it was a bitter fruit-driven dry, rather than hops. It was juicy as heck, but you had really better like the taste of grapefruit going into it.

3.91/5  rDev +8.9%

Edit: the brewery mailed me a new six pack, and asked me to send the remaining beers back for them to look at in the lab. The new ones are nothing like the old ones, so I've changed the rating.

Bottle says best by 05/03/15

Look: Terrible, when I finished pouring, it looked like a snow globe because of all the sediment floating in it. The other bottles have a 1/4 inch of crap at the bottom, and I don't see anything about this being bottle conditioned. This must have been a bad batch. The lacing is spot on though.
Smell: So much grapefruit, and I love grapefruit. A little hop smell, but nothing else distinguishable.
Flavor: Not that exciting. I can taste the grapefruit, but the IPA flavor is distant.

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, best before 4/29/2014. Pours moderately hazy golden amber color with a 1-2 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of big grapefruit, grapefruit peel, tangerine, orange zest, citrus rind, floral, grass, light pine, light caramel, light bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Damn nice aromas with nice authentic grapefruit and bright hop notes with moderate malt presence; and good strength. Taste of big grapefruit, grapefruit peel, tangerine, orange zest, citrus rind, floral, grass, light pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Fair amount of citrus rind bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, citrus peel, floral, grass, light pine, light bread, and floral earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice authentic grapefruit and hop flavors with moderate malt sweetness; with a nice malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, and fairly crisp/sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice fruit IPA. All around good balance of grapefruit, hop, and malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

Grapefruit Harvest IPA from Abita Brewing Co.