Grapefruit Harvest IPA - Abita Brewing Co.

Grapefruit Harvest IPAGrapefruit Harvest IPA

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

(Beer added by: Mikecap on 11-29-2013)

This is hands down my favorite brew by Abita. Bright, floral, and obviously a ton of citrus are present. Pleasing aroma on pour. While it's labeled an IPA the normally hoppiness is muted by the other flavors but this is by no means a bad thing as it drastically improves the drinkability. I hate that this is only a winter seasonal beer because I would love to have this available in the summer.

4.4/5  rDev +26.1%

3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

4.04/5  rDev +15.8%

3.63/5  rDev +4%

I picked up a bottle of Abita's Grapefruit Harvest IPA last week for $1.69 at The lager Mill. I was looking for a new beer to try and I thought I would take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name and I think it's just slightly eye catching. It poured a hazy golden color that took more of an orange color when held to the light with just about two fingers worth of bubbly white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the grapefruit being the first to show up and it imparts a nice grapefruit juice like aroma that seems to be the aroma that sticks out the most in this beer. Up next comes the hops which impart a light floral and light piney and green hop like aromas with hardly any malt aromas. The aroma was pretty nice, but I wish it had better balance.

T- The taste seems to similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the grapefruit still being the first to show up and it imparts that same grapefruit juice like aspect. Up next comes just a slight malty flavors that goes right into the hops which impart more of a spicy and earthy hops flavor. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with a slight hoppy and grapefruit juice like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I still wish the balance was better.

M- Smooth, a little refreshing, crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This is beer had a good mouthfeel, I liked how refreshing it was.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of the style, it was pretty much what I expected it to be with the grapefruit being the most dominating aspect and while that wasn't bad I thought it was in need of more balance. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, a little refreshing, crisp, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a few of these especially on a hot day. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel and along with the aroma I thought those were the highlights of this beer. What I like the least about this beer was the balance, I wish the hops came through a little more and the malts showed up a lot more. I would buy this beer again, especially if it was hot out and I wanted something a little refreshing. I would recommend this to anyone who likes grapefruit beers. All in all I liked this beer, but the balance held it back from being an impressive beer. I still enjoyed it nonetheless. It's not my favorite Abita beer, but it is one of the better Grapefruit beers Iv;e had. Nice job guys, this was a solid beer, keep it up.

3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

Note to BA admins, This beer is not retired. Just picked up a fresh sixer yesterday.

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

I spotted this beer on my walk in the beer section of Publix, and thought "hummnnn, this might be good".

IPA's and grapefruit are a match made in heaven (like peanut butter and stouts). I figure that they couldn't possibly screw it up!

A: This beer is very clean and pale. It comes off on the lighter side of straw. Not too shabby
S: This beers smells is pretty subtle. A combination of light malt and sweet grapefruit, but its very subtly. Might be a lot stronger in a better glass (like a widemouth mason jar or a sniffer).

Which is what I did. I poured it in a mason jar and it actually smelled a bit like peaches. Pretty snazzy.
T: What is their to say? it tastes like blood orange soda........no wait, it tastes like a shandy I made with a IPA and blood orange soda. Id say that they nailed what it is they where going for

Overall: I originally gave this one a rather lower rating, but upon inspection, I really have to give it the thumbs up. To rehash, this beer tastes like a IPA shandy. That's a really good thing, and I even think it would be good for people looking to get into IPA's or craft beer in general.

A good find off the Publix shelves. Make sure to request that they stock more beers like this one.

(Id drink this beer again)
4/5

4.08/5  rDev +16.9%

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.16/5  rDev -9.5%

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

Nice beer with left over thanksgiving. Enough grape fruit to cut the heavy potata toes and stuffing

4.32/5  rDev +23.8%

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

2.32/5  rDev -33.5%

Grapefruit Harvest IPA from Abita Brewing Co.