Grapefruit Harvest IPA | Abita Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Availability: Fall

Added by Mikecap on 11-29-2013

Reviews: 107 | Ratings: 560
3.12/5  rDev -13.3%

My first reaction to this was, "EHHHH!" It tasted like an unbalanced bitter IPA with the added bitterness of grapefruit rind. My next thought was, "Crap I have 5 more bottles of this to drink."
After having a couple more bottles, it's grown on me. It's refreshing and clean with a nice grapefruit aroma. Maybe it just took me getting over the initial shock. I won't go buy more of this, but I wouldn't turn one down if offered to me.
Disclaimer: I generally like Abita beers. My parents live in Abita Springs and I'm inclined to support the brewery.

3.46/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours like grapefruit juice. smells weak grapefruit. taste follows nose. as the beer warms it gets worse. kind of malty mess with spoiled grapefruit. this beer is dRinkable but tough to finish full glass. abita is always less than average. this beer is no different.

3.61/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hazy, pale yellow body capped with a very thick, creamy, white head. Fruity, citrus-like scent. Juicy, fruity flavor; lots of bitterness; mild cereal notes. Medium body; dry.

I've had this beer for a while and there is no bottling/freshness date on the label, yet this is still a decent (if unassuming) IPA. There is a grapefruit sense to the aroma and flavor that delivers the goods, yet overall, the beer is rather pedestrian. I wouldn't expend a lot of effort searching for this, but I wouldn't turn one down, either.

4.36/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Pours a nice thick head, light yellow, semi opaque with lots of sediment visible. Little carbonation bubbles.

Smells of sweet hops, flowers, grapefruit. Very pleasant

Taste is complex, quick bits of corn flow into hops and sweet grapefruit fighting for attention.

Feels good, light, good bite from hops at end of the sip with grapeftruit leaving a taste on the tongue.

This is nice, perfect amount of grape fruit that doesn't taste overly fruity, or artificial .

4.31/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Let me just say I love this beer. That outta the way I'm not a fan of unnecessary fruit or sediment in a beer. Color is nice and golden. Mouthfeel a bit full bodied but not unpleasant. Lots of grapefruit almost Radler style but not out shining the hops rather blending well with them. Well worth a try. I love it!

3.91/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I have been working diligently of late to winnow down (especially) the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody and I uncovered a buncha Abita beers! This is the last of the lot and since I began the afternoon with a fruited session AIPA, this seemed like a reasonable follow-up.

From the bottle: "Abita Grapefruit Harvest is a brilliant golden I.P.A. with a subtle zest of grapefruit flavor and aroma that enhances the strong hop character. This bright, snappy brew is made with real Louisiana Ruby-Red grapefruits, pale, pilsner and caramel malts and cascade hops."

I Pop!ped the cap and, having noticed a god bit of lees in the punt/kick, I went with an incredibly gentle pour. A healthy swirl raised a finger of fizzy, foamy, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was Yellow-Gold with NE-quality clarity, bespeaking my prowess at decanting from the lees. The Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon dropped by for a taste as a result. Nose was, well, zesty! It was like grapefruit zest, made by grating the peel of the fruit. I learned how to make it in HomeEc in high school, but I do it sometimes for cocktails. Very bitter, very tart and now my mouth was watering at the prospect. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was huge with grapefruit! It was like a glass of freshly-squeezed juice. Phew! That'll pucker you up! Once I got done making a duck face, I began to think about its finish. It was dry, but it was a bitter fruit-driven dry, rather than hops. It was juicy as heck, but you had really better like the taste of grapefruit going into it.

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from the tap into a pint glass. The appearance is a nice murky gold with a medium sized white head. The aroma is big on grapefruit, hops and grain. The taste is a nice blend of hops and citrus, really good flavor.

3.77/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The beer comes in a pale to medium gold color.

The aroma hits of citrus candy, grapefruit zest, grapefruit flesh.

The flavor follows with lots of grapefruit zest, lemon peel up front, bitter grapefruit candy, a light bready malt, grain, and a hint of sweetness, onto an almost spicy finish. It lingers with grapefruit pith. The beer is more of a Grapefruit Ale than an IPA.

3.94/5  rDev +9.4%

My first fruity beer and I liked it. Tastes like an IPA with a grapefruit aftertaste, imagine that! Nice balance. I'd drink again for a change of pace. Refreshing. Nice job. Cheers!

3.46/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Drank from a bottle so I'm not getting the full effect. Grapefruit is pronounced throughout. Compliments, or overpowers, the hop character depending on how you look at it. Carbonation stood out as unusually high - almost made this like an alcoholic grapefruit soda, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Overall, not spectacular as an IPA, but good for variety in winter seasonals.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a hazy orange with one finger head. Good head retention. Smells spicy with citrus. Tastes mildly hoppy with minor malt quality. Mouthfeel is thin with low carbonation. Moderate lacing.

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

This poured nice from the 12 oz bottle into a Mason Jar, great thick white head and fair lace, good honey gold color that looks inviting. Aroma is pith with just a hint of Grapefruit...could've been pith from any citrus fruit. Taste was very good in that the Grapefruit really steps up, this is not a HARDCORE IPA and I'm glad it's not because this is a refreshing IPA that has a solid fruit flavor and a great finish that hangs on. Mouthfeel is crisp in a light to medium range with a slightly bitter edge in the finish. Overall this is a solid beer for what it says it offers, I really enjoyed this and I'm glad I picked it up...If I wanted a hard IPA I would seek it out but if I'm looking for a tasty Grapefruit IPA I'd grab a 6 pack of this one here.

3.94/5  rDev +9.4%

I've had plenty of fruit beers. Some taste like beer with a hint of fruit, others taste like fruit with a hint of beer. Depending on the style of beer and fruit, I prefer one over the other. With other fruit IPA's I prefer beer with a hint of fruit. Though many IPAs often have a citrus component to their flavor.

With this IPA, it tastes like grapefruit with a hint of IPA. It's not awful, but I think I'd rather taste more of the IPA than the grapefruit. Though this may be a good intro IPA to people who can't tolerate too much bitterness.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

From the bottle: Best By 04/16/16

Appearance: The body is a hazy light straw color under a thick fluffy white head that stands for a decent amount of time before fading to a shorter fluffy white head. Good head retention and lacing.

Aroma: It has a very faint grapefruit aroma that is is very nice. I want to point out that it isn't strong but it has a nice persistent aroma that adds to the enjoyment of the beer. I'm not picking any other aromas.

Taste: Up front there is a bread crust flavor which is met by a mellow pith flavor. It finishes up with a bit of pine resin. Aside from that pith-like flavor it doesn't have a lot of grapefruit flavor or character up front, although the more I drink the beer the more it starts to develop a bit of that classic grapefruit citrus flavor. I wouldn't call it an outstanding beer but it is very good.

Mouthfeel: Off-dry with a body that is on the lighter side of medium. It has a good finishing bitterness that lingers on the palate a short while.

Overall: It's not a bold juicy grapefruit IPA. It's a mellow IPA that has a touch of grapefruit character. Most of the grapefruit character for me was in the aroma. The beer has a nice bready malt backbone. I wouldn't say this is the most mind-blowing beer or anything but it is a very good AIPA and even if you aren't a fan of grapefruit I would still recommend it. I think that the fact that the grapefruit is so restrained really speaks to the quality of the beer itself. I enjoyed drinking it and I would probably buy it again.

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a 25oz mug 3/4 pour down side, disturbed bottle & finished pour down middle.

LOOK: Very light with quite a bit of suspended sediment which slowly sinks to the bottom causing a cloudy light pale appearance. The head is relatively thin leaving a noticeable but quickly dissipating lacing which was very light tan color & relatively fizzy.

SMELL: Fairly strong Hops smell, with a nice aroma of citrus fruitiness as well hints of earthy undertones. Mostly Hops & fruitiness, as should be expected from a flavored IPA.

TASTE: I'm not the biggest fan of "flavored beers" but this was pretty much what one would expect from a Ruby-Red Grapefruit IPA. Nice fruity backbone, heavy on the hops with nice bitterness one would associate with grapefruit. If you're a fan of flavored IPA & enjoy the complex flavors of Ruby-Red Grapefruit, you'll enjoy this beer.

FEEL: Light weight to it. Very refreshing, with a nice carbonation bite that didn't overbear the subtle flavors of the beer itself. The characteristics left a very clean finish that left your palate ready for more. Once again, a very refreshing IPA.

OVERALL: I'd definitely buy this again anytime I find myself in the mood for a flavored IPA with a flavor profile that accents the hoppy characteristics of an IPA. Very refreshing beer that I'd have no problem with drinking on a warm summer day.

I hope you enjoyed the review...CHEERS !!!

1.89/5  rDev -47.5%

Could only take 1 sip. Not at all what I was expecting. I like citrus type hops and thought this would be somewhat like Stone's Project Grapefruit, but alas, it was not. If you like fruit beer, I suppose this would appeal to you, but I had to deep six the rest.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pous a nice medium amber color with white head. Grapefruit pretty much dominates the nose, just a hint of pine; follows onto the palate. Finishes with a small hop bite.

4.35/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This tastes just like ruby red grapefruit juice. So good! Light and drinkable. Can't wait to get more for summer so refreshing! Their fruit beer is so real not artificial!

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This beer is a thick orange color, shining bright despite its heavy look. A foamy not-quite-white head diminishes to a thin layer somewhat quickly, and it leaves a thin ring where it settles followed by spotty lacing.
The grapefruit really integrates into this beer's profile well. It stands out as key while letting the bitterness take over. The bitterness itself never gets too hard but is on the level for a solid IPA. It's bright and citrusy with that particular grapefruit pith and just enough bite, leading into a gently lingering finish.
It's lightly but consistently smooth all the way through with a smoothness that really moves nicely on the palate. Its feel is firm but soft, and it's got a nice depth to it.

3.84/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Nice beer, good grapefruit smell, nice head. As it warms up it has a little more personality. Unfortunately it doesn't have much IPA character, but It is a beer that would be good to drink when it is hot out and you want something refreshing with a little personality

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cloudy peach in color, moderate, frothy head of white foam.
Aroma-Definite grapefruit note
Taste-Ruby red grapefruit,pilsner malt, medium-to-light bodied. Snappy, tasty and refreshing. Would make a nice summer session brew.

3.79/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy light golden Amber with a white head.

Smells of grapefruit, malt/bread, and floral notes.

Bright citrus grapefruit up front with a slight malt bread middle finishes with a hop floral punch. This is a very solid IPA. If I had not had grapefruit Sculpin, I would think this stellar, but it takes a back seat to that glorious ale.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

i see what this is trying to do, and i dont mind it. not to compete with a grapefruit sculpin or anything, but to bridge the gap. its a compromise beer. you know, fruit beer for the lady, ipa for me, it works well enough for both of us, although i dont see much ipa here aside from the letters on the label. it looks nice though, smells even better, and is one of the more refreshing takes on the fruited ipa. the grapefruit is authentic in it, and even better, not sweet at all. its ruby red all the way through, and the light acid it brings keeps the beer light and dry. the hops are really scaled way back below normal ipa levels, but i see this more as in introductory beer to those who may be afraid of ipa. its also one of those macro craft things, a radical improvement on the flavored beers of shocktop, more beer than juice like those shandys are, and pretty comfortable drinking this all year round. not my favorite by any stretch, but i think it fills a niche role, and caters to a lot of folks on the fringe of becoming craft enthusiasts, and for that reason i like it pretty well.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: hazy; deep yellow in color; 1 finger off white head that receded to a thin collar; OK lacing;

S: fresh grapefruit;

T: sweet grapefruit up front; from mid-palate on, it's fresh grapefruit with a bit of grapefruit rind bitterness along side; light to moderate bitterness on the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: Abita captured the aroma and flavor of fresh grapefruit; nicely done;

3.43/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle.
Excellent fruity aroma. Suggests a taste that is sweeter than reality.
Lightly hazy amber body with a large white head.
Some sweetness up front, then moderatly tart and moderately bitter. Plenty of grapefruit and more vaguely citrus fruit. Gentle for style. Earthy component strengthens in the aftertaste.

Grapefruit Harvest IPA from Abita Brewing Co.