Grapefruit Harvest IPA - Abita Brewing Co.

Grapefruit Harvest IPAGrapefruit Harvest IPA

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Mikecap on 11-29-2013)
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

3.55/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.71/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.01/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.63/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Fresh grapefruit zest in the nose. The taste like the aroma features some of that distinct grapefruit bitterness with very little sweetness. Overall, worth a try especially if you are a fan of grapefruit.

3.28/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

What a novel concept for a beer. Take a natural beer ingredient taste (hops) and market it as an additive. Can't tell whether it's the casade hops or the actual grapefruit additive making its prescense known in the taste. Clear golden filtered color, has some happiness poking through with a clean finish. Descent fruit ipa beer especially if you are partial to the grapefruit.

3.54/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

hazy golden color; one finger head. Definite grapefruit aroma. Right off the bat it hits you with the grapefruit and refreshing citrus. Seems lighter than a lot of IPAs or at least somewhat more mild in hoppy bitterness. The finish is good but shorter than a lot of IPAs I've had. Pretty good overall, but make no mistake it is a GRAPEFRUIT IPA and it doesn't let you forget that.

3.76/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is hands down my favorite brew by Abita. Bright, floral, and obviously a ton of citrus are present. Pleasing aroma on pour. While it's labeled an IPA the normally hoppiness is muted by the other flavors but this is by no means a bad thing as it drastically improves the drinkability. I hate that this is only a winter seasonal beer because I would love to have this available in the summer.

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

4.4/5  rDev +26.1%

3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

4.04/5  rDev +15.8%

3.63/5  rDev +4%

I picked up a bottle of Abita's Grapefruit Harvest IPA last week for $1.69 at The lager Mill. I was looking for a new beer to try and I thought I would take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name and I think it's just slightly eye catching. It poured a hazy golden color that took more of an orange color when held to the light with just about two fingers worth of bubbly white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the grapefruit being the first to show up and it imparts a nice grapefruit juice like aroma that seems to be the aroma that sticks out the most in this beer. Up next comes the hops which impart a light floral and light piney and green hop like aromas with hardly any malt aromas. The aroma was pretty nice, but I wish it had better balance.

T- The taste seems to similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the grapefruit still being the first to show up and it imparts that same grapefruit juice like aspect. Up next comes just a slight malty flavors that goes right into the hops which impart more of a spicy and earthy hops flavor. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with a slight hoppy and grapefruit juice like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I still wish the balance was better.

M- Smooth, a little refreshing, crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This is beer had a good mouthfeel, I liked how refreshing it was.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of the style, it was pretty much what I expected it to be with the grapefruit being the most dominating aspect and while that wasn't bad I thought it was in need of more balance. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, a little refreshing, crisp, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a few of these especially on a hot day. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel and along with the aroma I thought those were the highlights of this beer. What I like the least about this beer was the balance, I wish the hops came through a little more and the malts showed up a lot more. I would buy this beer again, especially if it was hot out and I wanted something a little refreshing. I would recommend this to anyone who likes grapefruit beers. All in all I liked this beer, but the balance held it back from being an impressive beer. I still enjoyed it nonetheless. It's not my favorite Abita beer, but it is one of the better Grapefruit beers Iv;e had. Nice job guys, this was a solid beer, keep it up.

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

Note to BA admins, This beer is not retired. Just picked up a fresh sixer yesterday.

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

I spotted this beer on my walk in the beer section of Publix, and thought "hummnnn, this might be good".

IPA's and grapefruit are a match made in heaven (like peanut butter and stouts). I figure that they couldn't possibly screw it up!

A: This beer is very clean and pale. It comes off on the lighter side of straw. Not too shabby
S: This beers smells is pretty subtle. A combination of light malt and sweet grapefruit, but its very subtly. Might be a lot stronger in a better glass (like a widemouth mason jar or a sniffer).

Which is what I did. I poured it in a mason jar and it actually smelled a bit like peaches. Pretty snazzy.
T: What is their to say? it tastes like blood orange soda........no wait, it tastes like a shandy I made with a IPA and blood orange soda. Id say that they nailed what it is they where going for

Overall: I originally gave this one a rather lower rating, but upon inspection, I really have to give it the thumbs up. To rehash, this beer tastes like a IPA shandy. That's a really good thing, and I even think it would be good for people looking to get into IPA's or craft beer in general.

A good find off the Publix shelves. Make sure to request that they stock more beers like this one.

(Id drink this beer again)
4/5

4.08/5  rDev +16.9%

Grapefruit Harvest IPA from Abita Brewing Co.