Grapefruit Harvest IPA - Abita Brewing Co.

Grapefruit Harvest IPAGrapefruit Harvest IPA

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Mikecap on 11-29-2013

3.82/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I can see why reviews are mixed. Quite bitter but bc it's very grapefruity with some hop on top. Love it. Was great with salty oysters; brought out the sweetness of the grapefruit. (181 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Definitely more beer than grapefruit, unlike Schofferhofer and others out there. Typically robust IPA flavor with just a whiff of citrus. An OK IPA for fans but those expecting something more shandy-like will probably be overwhelmed and disappointed. (250 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Never been one to go the IPA route but thought I would try this because of the grapefruit. While it turned out to be lighter and more pleasant than expected it was still far too bitter for my yet unrefined palate. I'm hoping to get there someday though so that I can appreciate the world of IPAs that so many others seem to so thoroughly enjoy. (344 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +27.3%

As I am a Grapefruit everything addict I love this beer. Great Grapefruit smell when you pour into a glass. First sip you can taste and smell some grapefruit and the aftertaste really comes through. Not the best Grapefruit IPA but up there and a decent price. (259 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Fresh grapefruit zest in the nose. The taste like the aroma features some of that distinct grapefruit bitterness with very little sweetness. Overall, worth a try especially if you are a fan of grapefruit. (204 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

What a novel concept for a beer. Take a natural beer ingredient taste (hops) and market it as an additive. Can't tell whether it's the casade hops or the actual grapefruit additive making its prescense known in the taste. Clear golden filtered color, has some happiness poking through with a clean finish. Descent fruit ipa beer especially if you are partial to the grapefruit. (380 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

hazy golden color; one finger head. Definite grapefruit aroma. Right off the bat it hits you with the grapefruit and refreshing citrus. Seems lighter than a lot of IPAs or at least somewhat more mild in hoppy bitterness. The finish is good but shorter than a lot of IPAs I've had. Pretty good overall, but make no mistake it is a GRAPEFRUIT IPA and it doesn't let you forget that. (380 characters)

This is hands down my favorite brew by Abita. Bright, floral, and obviously a ton of citrus are present. Pleasing aroma on pour. While it's labeled an IPA the normally hoppiness is muted by the other flavors but this is by no means a bad thing as it drastically improves the drinkability. I hate that this is only a winter seasonal beer because I would love to have this available in the summer. (395 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +0.6%

I picked up a bottle of Abita's Grapefruit Harvest IPA last week for $1.69 at The lager Mill. I was looking for a new beer to try and I thought I would take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name and I think it's just slightly eye catching. It poured a hazy golden color that took more of an orange color when held to the light with just about two fingers worth of bubbly white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the grapefruit being the first to show up and it imparts a nice grapefruit juice like aroma that seems to be the aroma that sticks out the most in this beer. Up next comes the hops which impart a light floral and light piney and green hop like aromas with hardly any malt aromas. The aroma was pretty nice, but I wish it had better balance.

T- The taste seems to similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the grapefruit still being the first to show up and it imparts that same grapefruit juice like aspect. Up next comes just a slight malty flavors that goes right into the hops which impart more of a spicy and earthy hops flavor. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with a slight hoppy and grapefruit juice like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I still wish the balance was better.

M- Smooth, a little refreshing, crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This is beer had a good mouthfeel, I liked how refreshing it was.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of the style, it was pretty much what I expected it to be with the grapefruit being the most dominating aspect and while that wasn't bad I thought it was in need of more balance. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, a little refreshing, crisp, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a few of these especially on a hot day. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel and along with the aroma I thought those were the highlights of this beer. What I like the least about this beer was the balance, I wish the hops came through a little more and the malts showed up a lot more. I would buy this beer again, especially if it was hot out and I wanted something a little refreshing. I would recommend this to anyone who likes grapefruit beers. All in all I liked this beer, but the balance held it back from being an impressive beer. I still enjoyed it nonetheless. It's not my favorite Abita beer, but it is one of the better Grapefruit beers Iv;e had. Nice job guys, this was a solid beer, keep it up. (2,903 characters)

I spotted this beer on my walk in the beer section of Publix, and thought "hummnnn, this might be good".

IPA's and grapefruit are a match made in heaven (like peanut butter and stouts). I figure that they couldn't possibly screw it up!

A: This beer is very clean and pale. It comes off on the lighter side of straw. Not too shabby
S: This beers smells is pretty subtle. A combination of light malt and sweet grapefruit, but its very subtly. Might be a lot stronger in a better glass (like a widemouth mason jar or a sniffer).

Which is what I did. I poured it in a mason jar and it actually smelled a bit like peaches. Pretty snazzy.
T: What is their to say? it tastes like blood orange soda........no wait, it tastes like a shandy I made with a IPA and blood orange soda. Id say that they nailed what it is they where going for

Overall: I originally gave this one a rather lower rating, but upon inspection, I really have to give it the thumbs up. To rehash, this beer tastes like a IPA shandy. That's a really good thing, and I even think it would be good for people looking to get into IPA's or craft beer in general.

A good find off the Publix shelves. Make sure to request that they stock more beers like this one.

(Id drink this beer again)
4/5 (1,255 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a pale yellow with an off white, very fizzy head. The smell is all grapefruit and acid. The taste was heavy on the grapefruit, but the flavors of the hops and grapefruit together were actually very well paired and mingled with one another nicely. Didn't think I would like this one at all and it came to be a pretty refreshing brew. (339 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I’ve begun searching for the ideal after-mowing-the-lawn brew for the summer. I’ve enjoyed a few homebrews with fresh citrus (typically orange) zest over the years. The use of fruit bitterness to replace or augment some of the otherwise-too-hoppy-for-summer IBU count of a typical IPA appeals to me. Given Abita’s reputation and a relatively low IBU of 40 for an IPA, I figured I check this one out.

Appearance- hazy and inviting – ideal straw-colored lightness for sipping while watching a summer sunset

Aroma- grapefruit blends nicely with cascade hop character

Taste- grapefruit dominates and persists, but a bit too tart and dry for my palate. Abita uses Ruby Red grapefruit zest, but I’m not sufficiently discerning to detect whether this differs from white grapefruit.

Overall- This IPA has the right balance I’m looking for – not too hoppy and yet sufficiently refreshing, but I’d prefer something a little less tart.

Tweaks – I happened to have a growler of Great South Bay’s Blood Orange Pale Ale in the fridge, so I tried a 50/50 blend. Result: perfection! Reminiscent of the Bluebird Orange Grapefruit Juice I drank as a kid. (1,164 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Found this gem in hatteras nc. Always had a fondness for abita beers due to living in a hurricane prone area myself.

The attractive label caught my eye on this one and being a fan of abita harvest beers I had to have this one. Chilled it and had after supper and another beer. I did cleanse my palate.

Pour- slight hazy amber with a beautiful head and good retention

Smell- Great!! I instantly thought of my first home brew IPA and the usage of cascade hops. Upon reading the label it was indeed brewed with cascades. After a minute you can smell the grapefruit.

Taste- I can taste the grapefruit right up front along with the hops then the malt but mostly grapefruit.

Burp- tastes of grapefruit and cascades (pretty damn good)

Overall- Good beer, Good after supper beer. I will buy a six pack next time (809 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a thin head on a cloudy straw colored body.
The aroma is faint grapefruit.
The taste has a strong grapefruit bitter start which mellows out to sweet and malt balance in the middle to finish.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
The lack of smell was a letdown but the grapefruit (from real grapefruit) flavor was nice. (335 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a murky amber with superb 4-finger (!) head. Lovely, frilly lace.

Aroma is nicely grapefruit, no doubt about it, through and through. Seems okay so far.

Taste is definitely heavy on the grapefruit, but sweet rather than tart, sour, or acidic. I get very little bitterness, as one would expect from (A) a grapefruit-infused beer, and (B) an IPA. There's also a vague mineral-like flavor underneath the flavoring, which detracts slightly from my tasting.

And although this is quite approachable and easy to drink, I think it lacks some essential American IPA characteristics (like a touch of bittering). Certainly not a bad beer, just something I'm not completely sold on. (679 characters)

Excellent! This is just as I imagined it could be - great!

It looks like a good AIPA - nice and yellow/orange with just a bit of lacing. The aroma is a nice unique blend of grapefruit and hoppy goodness. It works.

Similarly, the taste is a great balanced AIPA with a bit of added tartness from a grapefruit additive. It totally works - it is like an APA, but with a lot going on. The aftertaste similarly is very tart but totally refreshing. It all works.

An interesting experiment would be a 2x - make it maltier and just a tad more grapefruit. As it is, though, this is a well made, unique brew. Recommended. (613 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -16.6%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

I thoroughly enjoyed Abita's root beer last night, so I figured I'd grab another bottle from bayou country. This stuff pours a clear amber-brass topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises mild grass, pine resin, rube red grapefruit peel, and an off-putting bit of cabbage. The taste focuses on the grapefruit (I know, contain your shock), with some light caramel, grass, mild pine, and orange zest bits floating around in the background ether. Thankfully, that odd cabbage bit is gone, but the grass and grapefruit occasionally clash, making up for any positive ground gained. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, it delivers what it promises, but it's not all that great-tasting, what with the clash of hops and grapefruit. (835 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The Abita Grapefruit Harvest is a nice beer. The appearance was docked because its lack of lacing. It poured clear (I made sure no sediment made it to my glass) with thin white head....not lace. The scent carried a fresh hop with bitter citrus flare. The taste carries grapefruit but it is very well balanced with sweet malt. The mouthfeel is lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall this is a good beer and I would drink it again. (437 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +8.3%

After disliking Abita's Purple Haze with raspberries and absolutely hating their Strawberry Harvest Lager, I was hesitant to try another fruit beer from the brewery, especially at my neighborhood bar where it was going for $7/tulip glass.

I was pleasantly surprised by this IPA. If you enjoy citrus-y IPAs and Mosaic and Citra hops, you'll probably like this. The flavour and aroma reminded me more of hops than of fruit additives, which in my opinion is a good thing. Excellent aroma, excellent flavour, lovely mouthfeel, nice and dry with the right amount of carbonation.

I'm looking forward to finding this in 6-packs or on tap for less than seven bucks. I could get through a lot of this during the summer. (713 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a fresh bottle into a shaker. White foamy head, dissipated quickly. Some light lacking throughout drink. Cloudy yellow orange sunshine in a glass.

The nose? Surprise...grapefruit! Add a hint of bread and a little green pine.

Above average carbonation, slightly watery on the mouth. Prominently bitter grapefruit, some orange and lemon peel with a touch of sweet honey. The finish is quick and clean, slightly bitter with a dash of pepper.

Not bad...not great...good. My wife loves this stuff...I figure it's a great way to get her into IPAs? It has all the basics, citrus, pine, hoppy, bready, bitter...so many good IPAs out there, I probably wouldn't buy for myself but I wouldn't turn one down at a party. Cheers! (730 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Poursa light orange color with a pink tint to it. Small 1/2 finger head

S - LOVE the smell. Smells like a ruby red grapefruit

T - Not nearly as overpowering as the aroma. The grapefruit is still present though and really stands out. Great flavor

M - A light drinking sessionale IPA. Smooth and feels slick in the mouth

O - Love it. Agreat sessionable IPA. Dont want it all thetime but will be picking it up again from time to time (438 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +9.4%

A – A hazy light gold with small suspended particles. A thick white one finger head that leaves chunky lacing around the glass as it dissolves.

S – it has nice smooth grapefruit smell with a little malt in the background

T – the taste is the same as the smell. Has a nice well balanced taste of grapefruit without being over powering

M – has a medium body mouth feel with a light amount of carbonation.

O - overall this is a great beer if you like grapefruit. It’s smooth and not overpowering. A drinkable beer with great flavor that last. I wouldn’t change a thing about this beer, it stands on its own.

Enjoy- (631 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, best before 4/29/2014. Pours moderately hazy golden amber color with a 1-2 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of big grapefruit, grapefruit peel, tangerine, orange zest, citrus rind, floral, grass, light pine, light caramel, light bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Damn nice aromas with nice authentic grapefruit and bright hop notes with moderate malt presence; and good strength. Taste of big grapefruit, grapefruit peel, tangerine, orange zest, citrus rind, floral, grass, light pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Fair amount of citrus rind bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, citrus peel, floral, grass, light pine, light bread, and floral earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice authentic grapefruit and hop flavors with moderate malt sweetness; with a nice malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, and fairly crisp/sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice fruit IPA. All around good balance of grapefruit, hop, and malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering. (1,369 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured on tap at The Bayou in Bethlehem, Pa.

A- pours a golden grain color with a white frothy head that dissipates quickly. Visible lacing around the glass as I sip and a thin foam head that stays with the brew

S- great bouquet of hops with some citrusy (obviously grapefruit) notes and a hint of crystal malt perhaps.

T- flavor is of sticky, citrusy hops and well balanced malt characteristics. A pleasant bitterness is present upon swallowing and it lingers for quite some time.

M- a sticky sweetness on the front and a nice dry bitterness on the tongue on the back end. Not extremely drinkable, but definitely tasty!

O- very well rounded as an IPA. A firm malt base and an excellent hop bouquet leave for a delicious brew that is quite enjoyable

Cheers! (765 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured from a pint glass.

A: Poured a dark golden color with a good fingers worth of head that settles to a ring with spotty lacing from start to finish.

S: I'm getting some light floral hop, a burst of grapefruit and a little sweet malt at the end.

T: Pretty normal IPA, hops are the biggest thing you taste...with a little sweet malt.... Then the wonderful sweet/bitter grapefruit kicks in.. Great balance with a lightly bitter aftertaste.

M: Light to mid bodied with a nice crisp carbonation. Little lighter than most IPA's I'm had.

O: OK... I'm not a big IPA guy but I have to say I really like this one... Good ABV makes this on a good session beer. Worth looking for. (692 characters)

Grapefruit Harvest IPA from Abita Brewing Co.