Join our email list →

Grapefruit Harvest IPA - Abita Brewing Co.

Grapefruit Harvest IPAGrapefruit Harvest IPA

good

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States | website

American IPA | 6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Mikecap on 11-29-2013

3.84/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: orange in color with a 1" head that slowly falls to a thick surface covering.

Smell: caramel and grapefruit are what is picked up by the nose.

Taste: caramel, big grapefruit, some orange, pear, and a moderate bitterness are the main flavors.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Crisp from start to finish. Refreshing.

Overall: an IPA that is citrus focused and is nicely refreshing.

3.69/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazed golden with a thin white head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of juicy grapefruit - blends well with the citric hops. Plenty of grapefruit aroma.

The ruby red grapefruit enhances the grape-fruity hops, as described on the label. A malty/grainy sweet backbone ties it together and adds a refreshing balance in the bitter-leaning finish.

On the lighter end of the IPA spectrum but fits the general character of the beer well. Very refreshing and smooth. Very easy-drinking.

The grapefruit is done well here!

3.84/5  rDev +7%

A: hazy medium gold with bits of sediment in suspension; a coupla fingers of fluffy had and clumps of lace down the glass

S: flowery grapefruits and fresh meadow grains - fairly mild and citric with pith and rind

T: just as the nose would lead you to believe, a clean, fresh malt base with an ample serving of grapefruit action - nothing over-the-top, but you can appreciate the grapefruit infusion atop the hops and malts

M: super-easy drinking, light and smooth, slight tingle and fuzziness, mild bitterness gives way to bright citric impressions

O: for what they were shooting for - freshly harvested and grapefruity - a hit - sure, give it a try if you like grapefruit action in beer - drinks fast and clean, refreshing and very pleasant

3.1/5  rDev -13.6%

02.02.15: Very brief impressions. Full review to follow.

It's grapefruit-y in an unnatural way; clearly the "natural" flavours included heavy artificial grapefruit extract/puree...and yet it's not a bad beer by any means. The hop bitterness isn't too pronounced and it evokes grapefruit more than most IPAs do (albeit artificially).

Still, it's simple, shallow, and mundane.

Drinkable, and I expected worse, but still mediocre.

C (2.88)

***
03.04.15:

BOTTLE: Best by: 04/19/15. Brown glass. 12 fl oz. Standard label art. Branded red pry-off cap. Purchased locally here in Austin, TX.

Served cold into a pilsner glass. Reviewed live as an IPA. It also calls itself a "flavored ale" "brewed with natural flavors" - red flag. Expectations are average given my previous experience with the brew as well as the brewery behind it.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 4 fingers wide. Off-white colour. Smooth consistency. Could be softer, fuller, and creamier. Retention is good - ~6-8 minutes. Leaves no lacing as it recedes.

BODY: Slightly cloudy yellow of average vibrance. Clean; no yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Appears well-carbonated (if not overly so). Not a stellar IPA appearance, but generally appealing, sure.

AROMA: Grapefruit is evoked, definitely. It's not the artificial grapefruit extract character I was expecting. The citrusy aromatics are quite appealing, and aren't accompanied by any extreme bitterness or even grapefruit's signature bite. Aside from the grapefruit, I just get a plain pale malt sweetness. It suggests a simple beer, but a pleasant one. I'm optimistic.

Aromatic intensity is moderate.

No yeast character, alcohol, or off-notes are detectable.

TASTE: Artificial grapefruit is indeed present, but little authentic grapefruit is. Still, there're traces of grapefruit pith, and what little genuine grapefruit flavour I pick up on I like. This is clearly a casualty of its so-called "natural" flavour. There's some generic pale malt sweetness, but it's not needed as there's very little hop bitterness, and no grapefruit bite. I get none of the Cascade hop character mentioned on the label. Slight zest rounds out a rather simple IPA build which lacks both depth of flavour and subtlety in execution. There's no intricacy here at all, and it's rather plain.

Average duration and intensity of flavour. I don't dislike this per se, but it leaves much to be desired.

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, overcarbonated, medium-bodied, and moderately thick, with average heft and weight on the palate. Suits the taste generally well without elevating the beer or accentuating specific notes. Middling execution.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, rough, or scratchy.

OVERALL: Certainly drinkable, but also rather forgettable. It's a nice effort from Abita at this price point and for how widely distributed it is, but ultimately it's a plain pedestrian IPA which won't impress the discerning drinker. I'm glad to see it on the market and hope it finds its audience, but I won't be buying it again and wouldn't recommend it to friends or trade partners. Still, you could do worse, and I'd be happy to reach for this at a party over the usual suspects. It'll scratch your IPA itch if you're keen on grapefruit-forward examples of the style, but don't expect this to be Louisiana's answer to Grapefruit Sculpin.

C+ (3.1)

3.35/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from the bottle into a Spiegelau IPA glass. Best by April 13th 2015.

A golden and slightly hazy and cloudy body, with a matching amount of very nice fine rising carbonation. A good bleach white and big four finger head caps it all off with good staying power, big swiss cheese bubbles and retention in the mix. A pretty solid looking IPA.

Aroma is as advertised. Lots of fleshy and fruit grapefruit notes, but more of a fruit sense than hop sense. Smells like grapefruit juice, but not much else to say going on, hard to even think there is a beer behind this somewhere, but real enjoyable, not overly sweet, zesty, oily, even juicy. Very solid.

Palate sort of turns the table. Juiced fruit grapefruit but without any hop character. Malt character is also non existent and I am struggling to say anything else here besides fruit juice. Slightly watery but not too much in feel, but manages to coat some of those oily characters on the finish, perhaps hinting at a taste or sense of hop presence.

Overall this comes off as a fruit flavored pale ale more than anything, but as an IPA it really seems to lack or hide it's character. Decent fruit beer though.

3.64/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at Vintage Estate in Ohio.

A - Head is just a 1/4 inch that settles rather quick. Beer has a ton of sediment telling me this beer is old well beyond fall status.
S - Really strong grapefruit and citrus notes. Slight malts and sweet smelling.
T - Very light hops, malt and grapefruit if anything it's past its prime. Still kind of refreshing.
M - Light to medium easy to drink despite the yeast chunks.

Overall I would have this again it's a very good take on an IPA but they could use different fruit if they wanted to.

3.59/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is strong of grapefruit. Taste is grapefruit, light hops, a bit of malts, smooth and tasty. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

3.82/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I can see why reviews are mixed. Quite bitter but bc it's very grapefruity with some hop on top. Love it. Was great with salty oysters; brought out the sweetness of the grapefruit.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

Definitely more beer than grapefruit, unlike Schofferhofer and others out there. Typically robust IPA flavor with just a whiff of citrus. An OK IPA for fans but those expecting something more shandy-like will probably be overwhelmed and disappointed.

2.25/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Never been one to go the IPA route but thought I would try this because of the grapefruit. While it turned out to be lighter and more pleasant than expected it was still far too bitter for my yet unrefined palate. I'm hoping to get there someday though so that I can appreciate the world of IPAs that so many others seem to so thoroughly enjoy.

4.61/5  rDev +28.4%

As I am a Grapefruit everything addict I love this beer. Great Grapefruit smell when you pour into a glass. First sip you can taste and smell some grapefruit and the aftertaste really comes through. Not the best Grapefruit IPA but up there and a decent price.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Fresh grapefruit zest in the nose. The taste like the aroma features some of that distinct grapefruit bitterness with very little sweetness. Overall, worth a try especially if you are a fan of grapefruit.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

What a novel concept for a beer. Take a natural beer ingredient taste (hops) and market it as an additive. Can't tell whether it's the casade hops or the actual grapefruit additive making its prescense known in the taste. Clear golden filtered color, has some happiness poking through with a clean finish. Descent fruit ipa beer especially if you are partial to the grapefruit.

3.51/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

hazy golden color; one finger head. Definite grapefruit aroma. Right off the bat it hits you with the grapefruit and refreshing citrus. Seems lighter than a lot of IPAs or at least somewhat more mild in hoppy bitterness. The finish is good but shorter than a lot of IPAs I've had. Pretty good overall, but make no mistake it is a GRAPEFRUIT IPA and it doesn't let you forget that.

This is hands down my favorite brew by Abita. Bright, floral, and obviously a ton of citrus are present. Pleasing aroma on pour. While it's labeled an IPA the normally hoppiness is muted by the other flavors but this is by no means a bad thing as it drastically improves the drinkability. I hate that this is only a winter seasonal beer because I would love to have this available in the summer.

3.64/5  rDev +1.4%

I picked up a bottle of Abita's Grapefruit Harvest IPA last week for $1.69 at The lager Mill. I was looking for a new beer to try and I thought I would take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name and I think it's just slightly eye catching. It poured a hazy golden color that took more of an orange color when held to the light with just about two fingers worth of bubbly white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the grapefruit being the first to show up and it imparts a nice grapefruit juice like aroma that seems to be the aroma that sticks out the most in this beer. Up next comes the hops which impart a light floral and light piney and green hop like aromas with hardly any malt aromas. The aroma was pretty nice, but I wish it had better balance.

T- The taste seems to similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the grapefruit still being the first to show up and it imparts that same grapefruit juice like aspect. Up next comes just a slight malty flavors that goes right into the hops which impart more of a spicy and earthy hops flavor. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with a slight hoppy and grapefruit juice like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I still wish the balance was better.

M- Smooth, a little refreshing, crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This is beer had a good mouthfeel, I liked how refreshing it was.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of the style, it was pretty much what I expected it to be with the grapefruit being the most dominating aspect and while that wasn't bad I thought it was in need of more balance. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, a little refreshing, crisp, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a few of these especially on a hot day. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel and along with the aroma I thought those were the highlights of this beer. What I like the least about this beer was the balance, I wish the hops came through a little more and the malts showed up a lot more. I would buy this beer again, especially if it was hot out and I wanted something a little refreshing. I would recommend this to anyone who likes grapefruit beers. All in all I liked this beer, but the balance held it back from being an impressive beer. I still enjoyed it nonetheless. It's not my favorite Abita beer, but it is one of the better Grapefruit beers Iv;e had. Nice job guys, this was a solid beer, keep it up.

I spotted this beer on my walk in the beer section of Publix, and thought "hummnnn, this might be good".

IPA's and grapefruit are a match made in heaven (like peanut butter and stouts). I figure that they couldn't possibly screw it up!

A: This beer is very clean and pale. It comes off on the lighter side of straw. Not too shabby
S: This beers smells is pretty subtle. A combination of light malt and sweet grapefruit, but its very subtly. Might be a lot stronger in a better glass (like a widemouth mason jar or a sniffer).

Which is what I did. I poured it in a mason jar and it actually smelled a bit like peaches. Pretty snazzy.
T: What is their to say? it tastes like blood orange soda........no wait, it tastes like a shandy I made with a IPA and blood orange soda. Id say that they nailed what it is they where going for

Overall: I originally gave this one a rather lower rating, but upon inspection, I really have to give it the thumbs up. To rehash, this beer tastes like a IPA shandy. That's a really good thing, and I even think it would be good for people looking to get into IPA's or craft beer in general.

A good find off the Publix shelves. Make sure to request that they stock more beers like this one.

(Id drink this beer again)
4/5

3.39/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a pale yellow with an off white, very fizzy head. The smell is all grapefruit and acid. The taste was heavy on the grapefruit, but the flavors of the hops and grapefruit together were actually very well paired and mingled with one another nicely. Didn't think I would like this one at all and it came to be a pretty refreshing brew.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I’ve begun searching for the ideal after-mowing-the-lawn brew for the summer. I’ve enjoyed a few homebrews with fresh citrus (typically orange) zest over the years. The use of fruit bitterness to replace or augment some of the otherwise-too-hoppy-for-summer IBU count of a typical IPA appeals to me. Given Abita’s reputation and a relatively low IBU of 40 for an IPA, I figured I check this one out.

Appearance- hazy and inviting – ideal straw-colored lightness for sipping while watching a summer sunset

Aroma- grapefruit blends nicely with cascade hop character

Taste- grapefruit dominates and persists, but a bit too tart and dry for my palate. Abita uses Ruby Red grapefruit zest, but I’m not sufficiently discerning to detect whether this differs from white grapefruit.

Overall- This IPA has the right balance I’m looking for – not too hoppy and yet sufficiently refreshing, but I’d prefer something a little less tart.

Tweaks – I happened to have a growler of Great South Bay’s Blood Orange Pale Ale in the fridge, so I tried a 50/50 blend. Result: perfection! Reminiscent of the Bluebird Orange Grapefruit Juice I drank as a kid.

3.86/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Found this gem in hatteras nc. Always had a fondness for abita beers due to living in a hurricane prone area myself.

The attractive label caught my eye on this one and being a fan of abita harvest beers I had to have this one. Chilled it and had after supper and another beer. I did cleanse my palate.

Pour- slight hazy amber with a beautiful head and good retention

Smell- Great!! I instantly thought of my first home brew IPA and the usage of cascade hops. Upon reading the label it was indeed brewed with cascades. After a minute you can smell the grapefruit.

Taste- I can taste the grapefruit right up front along with the hops then the malt but mostly grapefruit.

Burp- tastes of grapefruit and cascades (pretty damn good)

Overall- Good beer, Good after supper beer. I will buy a six pack next time

3.36/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a thin head on a cloudy straw colored body.
The aroma is faint grapefruit.
The taste has a strong grapefruit bitter start which mellows out to sweet and malt balance in the middle to finish.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
The lack of smell was a letdown but the grapefruit (from real grapefruit) flavor was nice.

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a murky amber with superb 4-finger (!) head. Lovely, frilly lace.

Aroma is nicely grapefruit, no doubt about it, through and through. Seems okay so far.

Taste is definitely heavy on the grapefruit, but sweet rather than tart, sour, or acidic. I get very little bitterness, as one would expect from (A) a grapefruit-infused beer, and (B) an IPA. There's also a vague mineral-like flavor underneath the flavoring, which detracts slightly from my tasting.

And although this is quite approachable and easy to drink, I think it lacks some essential American IPA characteristics (like a touch of bittering). Certainly not a bad beer, just something I'm not completely sold on.

Excellent! This is just as I imagined it could be - great!

It looks like a good AIPA - nice and yellow/orange with just a bit of lacing. The aroma is a nice unique blend of grapefruit and hoppy goodness. It works.

Similarly, the taste is a great balanced AIPA with a bit of added tartness from a grapefruit additive. It totally works - it is like an APA, but with a lot going on. The aftertaste similarly is very tart but totally refreshing. It all works.

An interesting experiment would be a 2x - make it maltier and just a tad more grapefruit. As it is, though, this is a well made, unique brew. Recommended.

3.02/5  rDev -15.9%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

I thoroughly enjoyed Abita's root beer last night, so I figured I'd grab another bottle from bayou country. This stuff pours a clear amber-brass topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises mild grass, pine resin, rube red grapefruit peel, and an off-putting bit of cabbage. The taste focuses on the grapefruit (I know, contain your shock), with some light caramel, grass, mild pine, and orange zest bits floating around in the background ether. Thankfully, that odd cabbage bit is gone, but the grass and grapefruit occasionally clash, making up for any positive ground gained. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, it delivers what it promises, but it's not all that great-tasting, what with the clash of hops and grapefruit.

3.79/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The Abita Grapefruit Harvest is a nice beer. The appearance was docked because its lack of lacing. It poured clear (I made sure no sediment made it to my glass) with thin white head....not lace. The scent carried a fresh hop with bitter citrus flare. The taste carries grapefruit but it is very well balanced with sweet malt. The mouthfeel is lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall this is a good beer and I would drink it again.

Grapefruit Harvest IPA from Abita Brewing Co.