Seersucker Summer Pilsner - Abita Brewing Co.

Seersucker Summer PilsnerSeersucker Summer Pilsner

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

German Pilsener |  4.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Jason on 04-27-2014)
1.75/5  rDev -49.4%

comark, Jul 06, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -49.4%

Chris_S, Aug 24, 2014
2.65/5  rDev -23.4%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a slightly cloudy gold color. The head is three fingers high and white in shade. The retention is actually pretty solid, and there are some streaks of lacing left behind.

S: There is some hoppiness coming through...the problem is, it's a vegetal, bell-peppery kind of bitterness. Letting it open up will turn it back into the grassy, lemony kind of bite I like from a pilsner. If nothing else, it's good to see Abita actually bother to hop this fairly well.

T: It seems to suffer from the problem many Abita brews do: it tastes like a craft beer diluted to about 75% strength. Lemony hops linger throughout the flavor profile, with malty touches near the opening. Nothing wrong with this per se, it's just really bland.

M: This is so light and dry, it feels insubstantial - watery, even. It goes down superbly (without even relying on overdone carbonation), but that's because it's so mild. Other, more substantial pilsners can easily achieve such a high drinkability factor without resorting to tasting like they're watered down.

O: Reading my latest issue of Beer Connoisseur magazine (DON'T KILL ME ALSTROM BROS., IT WAS A FRIGGEN GIFT), I stumbled upon an article about Abita and how their beers are designed purely with the intent of being paired with Cajun cuisine. The problem with this is that it's just weak by itself - almost like it NEEDS a food pairing to make it work. Protip: great beer should be able to stand on its lonesome. Given how easily I can get some great lagers, this is doomed to becoming an utter afterthought.

ThisWangsChung, Jul 17, 2014

jaswilson2, Jul 04, 2014

Lukebell15, Jun 20, 2014

Mphis, Jul 27, 2014

Pro_Magnon, Sep 04, 2014

Caskaway, Aug 16, 2014

starshockey9, Jun 19, 2014
2.93/5  rDev -15.3%

My first review... Be gentle please. First and foremost gents and ladies (or ladies and gents), this beer is meant to be poured. My first 12oz. was from the bottle and all I received was a citrus-like taste with a noticeable bitter after taste that my palate associates with ale's. My first round was quite less pleasurable than I expected from my favorite Louisiana, born and bread, brewery. However, the second round I poured into a Nonic Pint Glass, or your standard English Pub Beer Glass, and the experience was night and day. I still received the distinct taste of citrus that I do not normally expect with a Pils but it is not near as powerful as drinking directly from the bottle. As stated in other reviews, I can truly see how this beer would be absolutely fantastic with numerous Cajun dishes. Being a Louisiana native, I hope I can grab a 6-pack of this for the next Crawfish (Cray-fish) season and sample them with some down right, spicier than hell, home grown Louisiana crawfish.

Beer Novice's Note: I love beer... Several different kinds of beer. (From my local store Chimay is my favorite). However, some of the terms that are used by others to describe their experiences elude me at this point. I hope to, in time, broaden my horizons eventually understand these terms.

Fosh, Jul 20, 2014

mousebeer, Aug 06, 2014

noperative, Jul 18, 2014

osueanneh, Jul 14, 2014

djrn2, Jun 07, 2014
3.05/5  rDev -11.8%

Cloudy yellow golden pour with a dense one-finger white head and lots of carbonation. Aroma is of lemon zest and grain. Flavor has a strong bready presence upfront followed by a bit of grassy hops. There’s also a mildly sour lemon flavor in the back end. Light to medium bodied and finishes with a lingering grassy flavor.

Karibourgeois, Aug 04, 2014
3.19/5  rDev -7.8%

A: Pours a clear golden with two fingers of foamy whitish head that fades quickly.

S: Sweet malt up front, sweet corn, bread, light citrus and pine

T: Light hops and citrus, sweet malts, touch of yellow corn, not much else

M: Light-bodied with moderate-high carbonation and a crisp finish. Light and refreshing.

O: It does what it intended, as it is a crisp clean refreshing pilsner. I prefer a bit more in the flavor department, but this is just fine on a hot afternoon.

Mikecap, Jun 16, 2014
3.2/5  rDev -7.5%

I can't tell you how excited I was when I saw these new six packs at Giant Eagle Market District. I fell in love with their 20th Anniversary Pilsner, today it's probably one of the top five pils I ever had. So I grabbed this one thinking if it's half as good, I'll be happy and actually bought 12 of them.

Pours a deep golden body with a biscuit off white head looks like bread rising, fine even lacing left behind.

Aroma is so soft, a kiss of citrus and bready malts with an air of chalky yeast in the backend. The hops mentioned on the label are not Saaz but Spalt hops instead. Semi tart citrus with the bake bread 2 row, pils, and carapils malt base.

Flavor pale malt base, slightly bready. Dry bitter finish, caked chalky yeast watery citrus components. It's just not the beer that I want after having a pils like their 20th Anniversary beer this just isn't acceptable.

Mouthfeel is light bodied dry chalky finish leaves a lingering flavor I'm not a huge fan of, somewhat refreshing but just doesn't do it for me.

Overall, I'm sorry I bought a 12 pack I should have tested the waters before jumping all in.

WVbeergeek, Jul 07, 2014
3.24/5  rDev -6.4%

Enjoy by what appears to be 10/16/14

A - Cloudy pale, little head, no lacing.

S - Tortilla chip malt, slight hints of grassy hop.

T - Moderate to below-average grassy-spicey hop character. Little malt bill.

M - Medium-light body, below average carbonation. Kinda refreshing.

O - Not sure why you'd reach for this when there are so many knockout pilsners/lagers available.

Zach136, Jun 23, 2014

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty, cloudy, golden/yellow color, speckled with orange highlights and a half of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Toasted malt up front, imparting notes of English muffins or pretzels, followed by s hint of orange or lemon citrus, some honey and caramel and finished with some floral hops imparting notes of clover and honeysuckle.

Taste: Tastes like a pilsner! Lots of toasted malt up front, followed by a touch of honey or caramel-like sweetness and a touch of lemony citrus, finished by some pronounced hoppy bitterness. Maybe a touch too much hops for me.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, crisp, and very effervescent as there’s quite a lot of carbonation. With an ABV of 4.8%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a decent beer, though to be honest, pilsners aren’t one of my preferred styles of beer. There are some nice flavors of toasted malt and sweetness, but like most pilsners, there’s maybe a touch too much hops at the finish. Pilsner fans and hop heads should really like this beer though…

Jeffreysan, Thursday at 02:28 AM

lcdawg, Jul 02, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

Not bad, poured a cloudy orangeish-brown with good head and lacing. Some spice upfront with malt sweetness and a touch of citrus. Good carbonation makes this beer a little better. Good drinkability and overall decent finish with just a hint of hop bitterness

hophugger, Monday at 02:33 AM

miguellunarusso, Jun 14, 2014

BlueMoon10, Jul 04, 2014

crowsnest, Aug 07, 2014

ItsBeer4Me, Jul 19, 2014
Seersucker Summer Pilsner from Abita Brewing Co.