Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Seersucker Summer Pilsner - Abita Brewing Co.

Seersucker Summer PilsnerSeersucker Summer Pilsner

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

German Pilsener |  4.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Jason on 04-27-2014

Abita Seersucker Summer Pils is a traditional pilsner with a full bodied malt flavor, hop bitterness and a light golden color. It is made with pilsner and carapils malts, hopped with German Tradition and Spalt hops.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.97/5  rDev -14.4%

My first review... Be gentle please. First and foremost gents and ladies (or ladies and gents), this beer is meant to be poured. My first 12oz. was from the bottle and all I received was a citrus-like taste with a noticeable bitter after taste that my palate associates with ale's. My first round was quite less pleasurable than I expected from my favorite Louisiana, born and bread, brewery. However, the second round I poured into a Nonic Pint Glass, or your standard English Pub Beer Glass, and the experience was night and day. I still received the distinct taste of citrus that I do not normally expect with a Pils but it is not near as powerful as drinking directly from the bottle. As stated in other reviews, I can truly see how this beer would be absolutely fantastic with numerous Cajun dishes. Being a Louisiana native, I hope I can grab a 6-pack of this for the next Crawfish (Cray-fish) season and sample them with some down right, spicier than hell, home grown Louisiana crawfish.

Beer Novice's Note: I love beer... Several different kinds of beer. (From my local store Chimay is my favorite). However, some of the terms that are used by others to describe their experiences elude me at this point. I hope to, in time, broaden my horizons eventually understand these terms. (1,289 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a slightly cloudy gold color. The head is three fingers high and white in shade. The retention is actually pretty solid, and there are some streaks of lacing left behind.

S: There is some hoppiness coming through...the problem is, it's a vegetal, bell-peppery kind of bitterness. Letting it open up will turn it back into the grassy, lemony kind of bite I like from a pilsner. If nothing else, it's good to see Abita actually bother to hop this fairly well.

T: It seems to suffer from the problem many Abita brews do: it tastes like a craft beer diluted to about 75% strength. Lemony hops linger throughout the flavor profile, with malty touches near the opening. Nothing wrong with this per se, it's just really bland.

M: This is so light and dry, it feels insubstantial - watery, even. It goes down superbly (without even relying on overdone carbonation), but that's because it's so mild. Other, more substantial pilsners can easily achieve such a high drinkability factor without resorting to tasting like they're watered down.

O: Reading my latest issue of Beer Connoisseur magazine (DON'T KILL ME ALSTROM BROS., IT WAS A FRIGGEN GIFT), I stumbled upon an article about Abita and how their beers are designed purely with the intent of being paired with Cajun cuisine. The problem with this is that it's just weak by itself - almost like it NEEDS a food pairing to make it work. Protip: great beer should be able to stand on its lonesome. Given how easily I can get some great lagers, this is doomed to becoming an utter afterthought. (1,583 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours pale and yellow in the natural light more golden int he light from the room. Ha a tremndous amount of bubbles. I mean they are everywhere and they never stop. It's bubbly. The nose is pepper. Make you sneeze pepper and a bit of malt sweetness. Nothing rich a bit of sweet cracker. No honey or anything like that and some grass. The taste follows the nose. It's a bit thin adn over carbonated. The hops are indeed peppery and they are lovely! The malt is just right fro sweetness and if it were not for the thinness and the bubbles I would have rated this a bit higher. Tastes good . Finishes crisp and dry with a bit of lemon to bring it home. Also what took ti down fro me in the taste category was a touch of citric like acidity in the finish and aftertaste. (766 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -6.6%

I can't tell you how excited I was when I saw these new six packs at Giant Eagle Market District. I fell in love with their 20th Anniversary Pilsner, today it's probably one of the top five pils I ever had. So I grabbed this one thinking if it's half as good, I'll be happy and actually bought 12 of them.

Pours a deep golden body with a biscuit off white head looks like bread rising, fine even lacing left behind.

Aroma is so soft, a kiss of citrus and bready malts with an air of chalky yeast in the backend. The hops mentioned on the label are not Saaz but Spalt hops instead. Semi tart citrus with the bake bread 2 row, pils, and carapils malt base.

Flavor pale malt base, slightly bready. Dry bitter finish, caked chalky yeast watery citrus components. It's just not the beer that I want after having a pils like their 20th Anniversary beer this just isn't acceptable.

Mouthfeel is light bodied dry chalky finish leaves a lingering flavor I'm not a huge fan of, somewhat refreshing but just doesn't do it for me.

Overall, I'm sorry I bought a 12 pack I should have tested the waters before jumping all in. (1,120 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A little deeper golden than most pilsners. Aroma is grainy, lightly crackery, with a touch of skunk and spicy hops.

Flavor is more floral, with a fairly bitter finish. Malt is crackery. The skunky character bows to the bitter and floral characters.

Very refreshing, crisp beer. Nothing spectacular, but a fairly clean brew. A slight buttery character develops that is offputting. (381 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: A little dark looking for a German pils. A medium burnished gold. Some large creamy 2 finger white head when poured into proper glass.

S: Sweet grains, molasses, caramel. Faint pear, raisins. Lack of hops in the bouquet is disappointing.

M: Fuller bodied, creamy, wetter finish. Lasting effervescence.

T: Dandelion bitters, sweet breadiness, slight lemon bitterness, caramel.

O: This pils has a sweeter taste and stickiness, which is a nice play by Abita so it stands up to rich flavors in Creole cuisine. Lacks the iconic fresh cut grass aromas and spent husks, so it lacks a certain zest. Would like some more hop flavor in this one, but still enjoyable. (664 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Abita Seersucker Summer Pils has a thick, off-white head, a semi-hazy, yellow-golden appearance, powdery sediment suspended throughout, some bubbles streaming up, and a good amount of lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of zingy, lemony hop oil and white bread. The taste is of white bread, citrus oil, and lemony bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium, and Abita Seersucker finishes fairly crisp and easy drinking. This comes across as an IPL.

RJT (446 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Enjoy by what appears to be 10/16/14

A - Cloudy pale, little head, no lacing.

S - Tortilla chip malt, slight hints of grassy hop.

T - Moderate to below-average grassy-spicey hop character. Little malt bill.

M - Medium-light body, below average carbonation. Kinda refreshing.

O - Not sure why you'd reach for this when there are so many knockout pilsners/lagers available. (376 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Faint chill haze. Lovely crop of white foam. Crests without falling fast. Looks great.

Citrus peel zestiness and mild grassiness. Dry crackery grain with a clean nose. Almost has a pale wheat aroma, plus barley. A unique hoppy nose for a pils.

Dry, yet mildly citrusy. Some floral notes pair with pilsner-like grassiness and crisp barley malt. Only a mild to moderate level of bitterness from the hops. Quite tasty.

Smooth entry and a sandy, dry finish. Carbonation is held in check, a bit. Tantalizing enough. I could go for another. (537 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a clear golden with two fingers of foamy whitish head that fades quickly.

S: Sweet malt up front, sweet corn, bread, light citrus and pine

T: Light hops and citrus, sweet malts, touch of yellow corn, not much else

M: Light-bodied with moderate-high carbonation and a crisp finish. Light and refreshing.

O: It does what it intended, as it is a crisp clean refreshing pilsner. I prefer a bit more in the flavor department, but this is just fine on a hot afternoon. (475 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: 1 inch head, gold in color, high carbonation, clear

Smell: citrus hops and grass

Taste: sweet toasted malt and light citrus hops

Mouthfeel: sweetish start with a slightly bitter finish, light bodied with high carbonation

Overall: A nice sessionable pils. I like the Spring IPA better amongst the recent Abita releases, however I can see myself picking this up again. (382 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Seersucker Summer Pilsner from Abita Brewing Co.