Seersucker Summer Pilsner - Abita Brewing Co.

Seersucker Summer PilsnerSeersucker Summer Pilsner

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

German Pilsener |  4.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Jason on 04-27-2014)

3.59/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a crystal clear light to medium yellow in color with heavy amounts of active visible carbonation rising quickly from the bottom of the glass and some faint straw yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall dense foamy white head that slowly reduces to a mottled thick film covering the entire surface of the beer with a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of bready and biscuit malts with some chalky yeast and just a touch of herbal + citrus/lemon hops.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of bready, biscuit, and pale malts with a light amount of chalkiness from the yeast. There is a hint of citrus/lemon hops and a light amount of herbal hops. The hops contribute a light amount of lingering bitterness to the beer.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Light amounts of chalky dryness in the finish.

O: Easy enough to drink and certainly enjoyable, though not one of the best examples of the style that I have sampled. The relatively low ABV makes this beer sessionable and it is very easy to drink in the hot South during the summer. Could easily see myself grabbing this for the next cookout I'm invited to...

2.93/5  rDev -15.3%

My first review... Be gentle please. First and foremost gents and ladies (or ladies and gents), this beer is meant to be poured. My first 12oz. was from the bottle and all I received was a citrus-like taste with a noticeable bitter after taste that my palate associates with ale's. My first round was quite less pleasurable than I expected from my favorite Louisiana, born and bread, brewery. However, the second round I poured into a Nonic Pint Glass, or your standard English Pub Beer Glass, and the experience was night and day. I still received the distinct taste of citrus that I do not normally expect with a Pils but it is not near as powerful as drinking directly from the bottle. As stated in other reviews, I can truly see how this beer would be absolutely fantastic with numerous Cajun dishes. Being a Louisiana native, I hope I can grab a 6-pack of this for the next Crawfish (Cray-fish) season and sample them with some down right, spicier than hell, home grown Louisiana crawfish.

Beer Novice's Note: I love beer... Several different kinds of beer. (From my local store Chimay is my favorite). However, some of the terms that are used by others to describe their experiences elude me at this point. I hope to, in time, broaden my horizons eventually understand these terms.

2.65/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a slightly cloudy gold color. The head is three fingers high and white in shade. The retention is actually pretty solid, and there are some streaks of lacing left behind.

S: There is some hoppiness coming through...the problem is, it's a vegetal, bell-peppery kind of bitterness. Letting it open up will turn it back into the grassy, lemony kind of bite I like from a pilsner. If nothing else, it's good to see Abita actually bother to hop this fairly well.

T: It seems to suffer from the problem many Abita brews do: it tastes like a craft beer diluted to about 75% strength. Lemony hops linger throughout the flavor profile, with malty touches near the opening. Nothing wrong with this per se, it's just really bland.

M: This is so light and dry, it feels insubstantial - watery, even. It goes down superbly (without even relying on overdone carbonation), but that's because it's so mild. Other, more substantial pilsners can easily achieve such a high drinkability factor without resorting to tasting like they're watered down.

O: Reading my latest issue of Beer Connoisseur magazine (DON'T KILL ME ALSTROM BROS., IT WAS A FRIGGEN GIFT), I stumbled upon an article about Abita and how their beers are designed purely with the intent of being paired with Cajun cuisine. The problem with this is that it's just weak by itself - almost like it NEEDS a food pairing to make it work. Protip: great beer should be able to stand on its lonesome. Given how easily I can get some great lagers, this is doomed to becoming an utter afterthought.

3.31/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours pale and yellow in the natural light more golden int he light from the room. Ha a tremndous amount of bubbles. I mean they are everywhere and they never stop. It's bubbly. The nose is pepper. Make you sneeze pepper and a bit of malt sweetness. Nothing rich a bit of sweet cracker. No honey or anything like that and some grass. The taste follows the nose. It's a bit thin adn over carbonated. The hops are indeed peppery and they are lovely! The malt is just right fro sweetness and if it were not for the thinness and the bubbles I would have rated this a bit higher. Tastes good . Finishes crisp and dry with a bit of lemon to bring it home. Also what took ti down fro me in the taste category was a touch of citric like acidity in the finish and aftertaste.

3.2/5  rDev -7.5%

I can't tell you how excited I was when I saw these new six packs at Giant Eagle Market District. I fell in love with their 20th Anniversary Pilsner, today it's probably one of the top five pils I ever had. So I grabbed this one thinking if it's half as good, I'll be happy and actually bought 12 of them.

Pours a deep golden body with a biscuit off white head looks like bread rising, fine even lacing left behind.

Aroma is so soft, a kiss of citrus and bready malts with an air of chalky yeast in the backend. The hops mentioned on the label are not Saaz but Spalt hops instead. Semi tart citrus with the bake bread 2 row, pils, and carapils malt base.

Flavor pale malt base, slightly bready. Dry bitter finish, caked chalky yeast watery citrus components. It's just not the beer that I want after having a pils like their 20th Anniversary beer this just isn't acceptable.

Mouthfeel is light bodied dry chalky finish leaves a lingering flavor I'm not a huge fan of, somewhat refreshing but just doesn't do it for me.

Overall, I'm sorry I bought a 12 pack I should have tested the waters before jumping all in.

1.75/5  rDev -49.4%

Seersucker Summer Pilsner from Abita Brewing Co.