1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Andygator - Abita Brewing Co.

AndygatorAndygator

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  8.00% ABV

Andygator, a creature of the swamp, is a unique high-gravity brew made with pale malt, German lager yeast, and German Perle hops. Unlike other high-gravity brews, Andygator is fermented to a dry finish with a slightly sweet flavor and subtle fruit aroma. Reaching an alcohol strength of 8% by volume, it is a Helles Dopplebock.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-01-2003)
View: Beers (46) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 931 | Reviews: 357 | Show All Ratings:
swoopdog

Arkansas

4.94/5  rDev +39.9%

A – Clear golden pilsner with a billowy two fingers worth of eggshell white head. Ridiculous carbonation streaming off the bottom like a champagne except in erratic bubbles. Not much lacing but there is some.

S – Not really nose heavy but there is some yeast and malts among some toasted earthy aromas. Pretty average smelling for the style and I could definitely use a bigger aroma.

T – The taste is superb a bit of peppery bite in the front of the tongue sort of takes you back at first but the malts give this some great sweetness and makes this almost too easy to drink. Pulling a small amount you definitely get a bit of fruit almost like grapes of plums also getting some green apple flavors at the very end of the tongue. Absolutely delicious but drinking a full mouthful at a time kills this one so I would recommend taking your time.

M – Medium bodied with a lot of crisp from the heavy carbonation and that peppery taste. smooth as a fruit and easier to drink than the darker Doppelbocks I have had.

O – Abita has done it again this thing is tremendous and really has set the bar high for Doppelbocks domestic and imported alike. This is much much better than the Celebrator from Ayinger which is rated as the top Doppelbock in the world. Definitely tasty and if you go slow it smooths out and leaves you with a very subtle bit of fruit that gives this tremendous drinkability.

02-24-2013 01:00:11 | More by swoopdog
Jonmoore89

4.88/5  rDev +38.2%

I have to say that I was very surprised to see such a low rating for this beer. I drank it on a sober pallet. Andygator poured a vibrant gold with a perfect two finger head. Although the head dissipated after two minutes to about a quarter inch, I did notice it had extraordinary lacing. The aroma was sweet and slightly hoppy with a hint of malt. Not too overpowering though. After the first taste I was very impressed. Floral, sweet, and smooth all the way to the end. There was a slight taste of hops left in the back of my throat. The medium body and crisp carbonation complement the taste perfectly. I will admit that this was my first doppelbock, thus I have nothing to compare it to. However, overall I would say this is certainly a new favorite beer.

04-04-2012 22:32:09 | More by Jonmoore89
Zakk

4.83/5  rDev +36.8%

I'm from Louisiana, so I'm partial. Also, I'm from the days when Andygator was only available on draft, and have now tried it both on draft and from a bomber.

Serving type: Draft into pint

A: Straw colored, little head that dissipates quickly, very little lacing.

S: Bready, yeasty, caramel, floral, slight apple and citrus?

T: Malt forward maibock, toasty, roasty, very little bitterness detected. Slight citrus detected.

M: Medium carb, dry, crisp, not as boozy as one would think.

O: Heavier gravity, but without a warming finish. The alcohol is well hidden behind a great balance. Bready without a boozy taste or warmth. Definitely one of my go to draft beers.

06-26-2012 06:50:08 | More by Zakk
jnfs

Oklahoma

4.78/5  rDev +35.4%

This big beer is medium yellow in color and clear with a nice frothy head that fell to about 1/4" after a minute. It appears to be medium in carbonation. The nose on this beer is of malt, alcohol, and possibly vanilla. The taste is of malt and a moderate amount alcohol. Initial body impression is light, but there is a little more to it than that. I'd say it's a light to medium bodied beer. The malt, alcohol and hint of vanilla flavoring are nice for this awesome brutish blond brew which I believe is worthy of it's name.

05-08-2009 01:12:10 | More by jnfs
FATC1TY

Georgia

4.65/5  rDev +31.7%

Poured from a Growler.

A: Golden yellow color pour, slight haze, but pretty clear. Fair bit of lacing, around a 1 finger head poured aggressively.

S: Fruity, sweet, bready malts. A little hops poking out.

T: Balanced. Pure balance. Sweet fruit and malty, then the hops comes in, little bitter, but so balanced you can't tell at first. Very light tasting, smooth.

M: Great mouthfeel. Perfect amount of carbonation to it. Not oily, but has a bit of hangtime on the tounge as you drink. I like it a good bit! Yeasty bread in there that kinda of mellows it out.

Overall: I'll admit, this is a go to beer for me. I love the higher ABV, hides it exceptionally well. Smooth beer, really good to get a pitcher of it at one of my favorite restaurants and share a pitcher or two with someone. Really well balanced beer, and I'm on Abitas side, great beers. I've had this on draft, in a growler, and in bottles. I keep plenty on stock for when I want to do some session drinking, and this is my main stay!

Serving type: growler

02-14-2012 00:56:33 | More by FATC1TY
jsh420

4.55/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

best by 01/02/10

pours clear gold with a 1+ finger head that left notches all down the glass

smells of sweet yet lighty roasted malts with some fruit maybe apples and grassy hops

taste is great much like the smell the sweet yet roasted bready malts along with apples and slightly bitter hops

mouthfeel is light to medium smooth and crisp at the same time - perfect for this hybrid style

drinkability is great as well - but watch out with the 8% abv

overall this hybrid is fantastic - reminds me of capital's blonde dopplebock but with the add in flavors of a helles lager - this is my first abita beer and i was blown away

08-17-2009 03:00:51 | More by jsh420
Cavanaghty

Maine

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Thank you to shan5484 on this one.

Appearance: Golden amber color with about one finger of white head, no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Fruit, floral notes mostly with some malts amd hops.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste is mostly fruity with some floral qualities. Some hops in the background.

Overall: Had this beer a few times now and it still remains one of my all time favorites.

04-21-2012 13:41:36 | More by Cavanaghty
ElCommodoro

4.48/5  rDev +26.9%

Poured a surprisingly clear pale yellow colour. Not something I was expecting from something labeled as a "Helles Doppelbock."
The flavour was a surprise as well. Not incredibly sweet by any stretch. Surprisingly light. Thankfully, not overly hoppy at all. Perfect amount of hops here. Despite the lightness of it all, alcohol is incredibly subdued for 8%, but thankfully still discernible. But man, I could probably chug this down if I wanted to. Both due to the light, crisp flavour and the seemingly magically hidden alcohol content. This is not what I was expecting at all, but it's really quite good nonetheless. The only other thing I've encountered that claimed to be a "Helles doppelbock" was made by Samichlaus. That was 14% alcohol and a thick, sweet concoction. Amazing, of course, but in no way related to this. This is a totally different approach. I'm pretty sure I even taste wheat in this. This is far more on the Helles side, not so much on the doppelbock side, but in all the right ways. It's less bitter and a tad more sweet than most helles bocks and of course, it's got that doppelbock level of alcohol. Good stuff.

08-13-2012 09:10:24 | More by ElCommodoro
soupermirl

Mississippi

4.47/5  rDev +26.6%

When I first saw Andygator after it had been transferred to the Growler at the Abita Brew Pub, I thought what a beautiful bronze to golden color. So I drove home with it, chilled it in the frig and poured it in a glass. Just a hint of hops comes out when you sniff it. Then the taste, I told my wife it was like liquid gold. This beer is a the top of my list. Now that could be because it hasn't been easy to get or because it is so very good. Doesn't taste like 8%.
We soon went by the Bulldog on Magazine in New Orleans. I had the Andygator on draft, my what a killer brew. Great taste, beautiful color. Lovely, just lovely.

01-09-2009 01:51:09 | More by soupermirl
RoyalT

4.47/5  rDev +26.6%

Appearance - This is a light-colored orange in the body and very clear with a head that came up nicely and retreated quickly.

Smell - The faint malts are grainy yet easy on the nose and the light booze carries the style through.

Taste - This is much bigger at the taste. The malts are full-on grain with little sweetness but incredibly smooth and the alcohol is large as it should be. No hops of course can be had anywhere in this flavor profile.

Mouthfeel - This is a bit bigger than light-bodied with no bitterness and a light but uneventful carbonation. The alcohol sensation completes the package.

Drinkability - It's tough to rate "to style" a Helles Doppelbock as I've never really heard of it before, but my idea was to take the helles bock and expect a bit more booze and to this end the beer delivers. I guess it's kind of the German equivalent of American malt liquor and if that's the case then this is the finest ML I've ever had. Those with a more refined beer palate may find themselves quick to dismiss this Abita offering, but I would suggest considering what the goal is here because for me this was a terrific brew especially (I would imagine) when enjoyed in the Louisiana summer.

09-12-2009 01:52:05 | More by RoyalT
MikeOPFL

4.45/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a great medium-bodied malty treasure!

Not much of a head and not overly carbonated with a fruity nose that mimics a Belgian Golden ale. A very malty backbone, with a floral/fruity sweet finish.

The beer I know won't let me down when there's nothing wildly interesting on tap.

06-12-2011 19:17:51 | More by MikeOPFL
rhoadsrage

4.43/5  rDev +25.5%

(Served in a glass dimple mug)

A- This beer pours a crystal clear apricot colored body with a gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles and a snow-white head of foam that fades to a sticky ring.

S- The aroma of fresh rain mixes with fresh raw grain and some honey malt. There is a very light sweet sulfur note at the finish that compliments the grain nicely.

T- The dry very pale malt flavor has hints of honey and toasted corn to it. There is a mellow Noble green hop hint that finishes with a soft bitter bite.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no alcohol heat and a faint fizz finish that makes the hops bite very nicely.

D- This beer has a smooth great flavor with a great freshness to the grain and a good balance between the malt and hops. This beer drinks very easy.

02-23-2009 19:31:10 | More by rhoadsrage
MisterClean

4.4/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the celebratorfest. Let me start by saying, not a big fan of this brewery.

A - Pours golden wth a nice 2 finger white head, dissipates slow, with beautiful lacing.

S - Breadiness, honey, and nectar.

T - Fairly similar to the smell, but hops lend a slight citrus and grassy profile.

M - Full-bodied and well balanced. No presence of alcohol, but slightly dry mouthfeel.

D - Great overall. Very easy drinking for an imperialish helles, yet complex enough for the beer connoisseur. Never had anything like this brew.

02-20-2009 18:31:30 | More by MisterClean
MrTito

Alabama

4.4/5  rDev +24.6%

This has been a favorite of mine for about a year, and I'm ecstatic that a lot of local bars and stores have it on draft. I tend to gauge establishments by their offerings, so if this is on the menu then I feel I'm in good company.

A - Pure golden, though a slightly disappointing head that dissipates quickly. Minimal lacing, but present.

S - Fruity, a bit of alcohol. Nothing overwhelming but also nothing unpleasant either.

T - This is where Andygator wins me over. While not complex, it is nonetheless delicious. A fair malt quality, sweetness, and minimal hops. I don't mind hopiness at all, but there is hardly any here and I'm fine with that. The taste almost (but without disparagement) reminds me of a hard cider. If you're a fan of bitterness, stay away because there is none here.

M - Medium bodied. A quality thickness without being sticky or too lingering. Though, there is a bit of a dry finish. To a certain extent the body betrays the appearance. Perhaps having a glass of water handy will help combat the dryness, and the 8%.

D - Definitely a must try. Great for a muggy summer night when you don't want something heavy but can't settle for something light. Just watch out for the 8% - it will sneak up on you.

07-02-2010 03:57:05 | More by MrTito
TigerFan

4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

I remember "back in the day" when this beer came out, once again, Abita was an innovator in the Micro-brew industry (that wasn't even an industry yet back then, lol). I still love it and am glad I can now find it on the West Coast! It has a nice golden/amber color and is both malty and hoppy in flavor, but not overpowering on either account. Very well balanced. It is very easy to drink for a high alcohol beer!

08-30-2011 17:16:11 | More by TigerFan
WMEugene

4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

A - Pours a clear golden yellow color with a thick head that dissipates to a thin layer with pretty decent lacing.

S - Sweet fruit and citrus aromas. A little bit of light malty sweetness as well. A sweet lager smell.

T - Sweet fruit flavors mesh with a little bit of breadyness in the malts. A little bit of spiciness comes next. There's also some alcohol warmth in the taste, which is surprisingly nice.

M - A little thinner than I expected, but it is smooth and crisp. Carbonation level is nice. For its ABV, which really isn't hidden, it's pretty drinkable.

O - I like what Abita has done here. The idea of a helles doppelbock seemed interesting and the Andygator does a great job of being a drinkable and enjoyable beer. This isn't pretentious at all and is well worth your time if you want a hearty, sessionable imperial-style lager.

04-03-2012 02:06:23 | More by WMEugene
KDReeves

4.3/5  rDev +21.8%

I could not disagree more with Optimat0r's assessment. Given his handle, I must assume that he is a genuine doppelbock fan. I prefer Celebrator as my stand-by doppel, for the record.

I found the Andygator to be a deliciously rich and complex brew, and NOTHING like Corona. Corona is like flat tap water by comparison, and I find it baffling to draw a similarity between the two.

The Andygator has a wonderful balance between the rich, front-of-the-palate, toasted, almost chocolate-like feel on the tongue though much more a honey and break texture on the follow-through, and the crisp and thorough cheek of fruit.

I found the Andygator to be lush and blossoming, with a terrific expansion. Corona sits in the mouth like old Mountain Dew. Andygator is a beautiful brew and I believe bears some very serious resemblance to a proper doppelbock.

Our local expert's mailing list indicated that the Andygator was an ideal change of pace for serious doppelbock fans. I agree wholeheartedly and believe that the similarities are outstanding but the slightly lighter (though no less deep and refined) characteristics make it a great choice.

08-16-2009 18:54:25 | More by KDReeves
MrHassellYaHurd

Louisiana

4.28/5  rDev +21.2%

SUPERBOWL is starting, I'll be brief!

Pours a slightly hazy yellow/yellow-orange with a thick white head dissipating into a thin cap within the first three minutes.

Smells of cereal grains, orange peels. A hint of yeast and malty sweetness.

Has a big malty sweet flavor immediately accented by a very slight hop bitterness. Dried figs and apricots, raisins come to mind on the draw into the palate.

Thick, luxurious and velvety mouthfeel. Very smooth, if only a bit syrupy. Thoroughly enjoyable.

I'll give this a 4 for drinkability. It's a delicious brew for sure, but very rich and fairly thick. I do really like it, but I'm afraid It will just be one.

02-07-2010 23:48:26 | More by MrHassellYaHurd
phideltashaggy

Tennessee

4.28/5  rDev +21.2%

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a Boston Lager Perfect Pint glass.

A- Golden and clear with a fluffy, white head. Leaves a perect amount of lacing, imo.

S-Floral and slightly fruity. A hint of alcohol, but very subtle.

T- Oh man, this is nice. The barely fruity sweetness is up front, then perfectly off-set by the hops at the end. I am very picky when it comes to bitter, but this citrusy hops works well with the other flavors.

MF- The carbonation is slightly above normal.

D- Easily one of the most drinkable high-grav brews I've ever had. I drank the entire bottle much quicker than I thought I was going to and loved ever second of it. I honestly didn't realize it was high gravity until I finished the bottle and looked it up.

Overall, this goes high on the list of brews that I want a lot more of.

09-30-2010 22:29:17 | More by phideltashaggy
Offa

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

This is very nice, fairly simple but quite tasty, highly drinkable, with a little complexity. As one might expect from a pale doppelbock, it is a lot like a more characterful version of a better, strong malt liquor.

Deep gold, it has a very big off-white head steadily shrinking to a foamy ring and some wisps, with a little weak lace.

Aroma is unbaked bread dough, grain, golden raisins (faint), ripe apples, and faintly perfumy in its fruity-graininess. This is a lot like a strong, good pale lager or nicer version of what a malt liquor is like.

Taste is a little on the sweet side, light raisiny spiciness, grain, unbaked dough, apple, hint of raisin, finish of light apple and peach before a sweet, fruity-grain aftertaste. Feel is solid, slightly oily, a bit frothy, and quite nice.

01-16-2010 05:44:32 | More by Offa
Spineypanda

4.22/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours a slightly cloudy dark straw color.
Smells of esters and somewhat like a wheat beer.
I taste a bit of the alcohol but it is extremely smooth and delicious. For using the specific yeast it does for a Helles style this is an extremely interesting beer that for 8% is a great buy!

Thanks for trying something new Abita.

03-26-2010 00:04:44 | More by Spineypanda
nezelrac

4.22/5  rDev +19.5%

poured from 650ml bottle into large tulip (all I had on hand)

A - tawny/copper-gold; one finger of eggshell colored, dense, fine-beaded head; fades to a thin layer of bubbles; minimal lacing; mild CO2 rising

S - malty rich nose; sweet pale malt notes dominate; faintly toffee/buttery note; little hop presence here; slight yeast presence

T - all malt deliciousness; gains focus briefly mid-palate; sweet malt return through the finish; some bread dough and blonde toffee; hops pop out a bit at the very end

M - wonderfully smooth and easy with just enough CO2 to keep it from getting cloying;

O - very good; almost too easy to drink;

04-19-2011 20:40:20 | More by nezelrac
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.21/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Pilsner Glass.
8.0% ABV, Best By 03/11/14 on neck.

A - A tall, clumpy white head rises from the depths quickly, frothing up the glass with sticky white suds. Clear and bright golden in color, Andygator is one fine looking beer.

S - Sweet white grapes give the nose an initial crispness but the maltiness, reminiscent of a fresh, soft loaf of white Wonder Bread, bring some heft from the depths. German hops balance the malt aroma with a fair amount of earthy spice notes for a round beer.

T - Crushed white grapes add soft fruitiness while clear corn syrup drizzles sweetness over the beer's malty, untoasted Wonder Bread base but, hops finish out, more so in this beer than any other doppelbock. Crisp hop spice lends an earthy finish to this beer.

M - The closest characteristic of Andygator to a doppel is the beer's mouthfeel where, despite the elevated, slightly bitter hop profile, the maltiness reigns as this somewhat sweet beer finishes pretty dry from the almost transparent level of alcohol.

O - While Abita calls Andygator a helles doppelbock, it's hoppiness and crisp, clean malt profile lean pretty closely to the maibock style or at least a crossover of the two. Sweet and fruity, the bready malt base of this beer make it just as satisfying as the German "liquid bread" doppels, though finished with a touch of spicy hop character.

02-12-2014 02:30:56 | More by BeerFMAndy
Mitchster

4.21/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

$1.99 for a 12oz bottle @ Siciliano's. Brewed with pale malt, German lager yeast, and German Perle hops.
8.0% ABV, 25 IBU, 8 SRM

Pours out to a sparkingly clear medium golden, forming a finely beaded white frothy head with superior retention and lacing, owing in parts to it's brisk carbonation, ~3.5 carbs or so. The nose has a distinct pale malt character with a hint of toast and biscuit. Mouthfeel is crisp, briskly carbonated, medium dense bodied, finishing slightly sweet and with a touch of syrup left in the mouth afterwards. The taste is quite good...pale malt with biscuit note, very clean and letting the malt toast shine through with a well balanced clean bitterness. Medium light DMS in the middle. Grainy notes in the finish. Definite german character.

Comparable to Ayinger and Hofbrau Maibock, this one is pretty tasty. Textbook Helles Bock/Mai Bock. Pleasantly surprised from Abita, who I think generally makes pretty lackluster brews. I would buy it again when in the mood.

12-09-2013 01:24:03 | More by Mitchster
BeerManDan

4.2/5  rDev +19%

What a pleasant surprise. When poured, the color was a clear medium golden yellow, with a medium amount of white foam and nice lace retention. The smell of sweetness filled the nose of mild hops and mild malts. The taste was a rich, sweet fruitness of roasted walt and whole hop. But, not like most doppelbocks, this one did NOT have a semi-dry finish, but, a sweet finish instead.

07-03-2009 22:28:15 | More by BeerManDan
Andygator from Abita Brewing Co.