2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Andygator - Abita Brewing Co.

AndygatorAndygator

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  8.00% ABV

Andygator, a creature of the swamp, is a unique high-gravity brew made with pale malt, German lager yeast, and German Perle hops. Unlike other high-gravity brews, Andygator is fermented to a dry finish with a slightly sweet flavor and subtle fruit aroma. Reaching an alcohol strength of 8% by volume, it is a Helles Dopplebock.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-01-2003)
View: Beers (46) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 940 | Reviews: 359 | Show All Ratings:
Davidvols

Mississippi

1.31/5  rDev -62.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Don't waste your money on this one. Abita usually makes a good quality beer, but this one is truly disappointing. Sent back, waiter told me I wasn't the first. Beer has a nasty smell and tastes as if the beer is still wort. Had three friends with me try it as well, and all agreed it's the worst beer they have ever tasted. Do not recommend.

03-14-2013 01:21:38 | More by Davidvols
JAramini

1.38/5  rDev -60.9%

Yellow beer, no visible carbonation, looks nothing like a doppelbock. This is a malt liquor.

Smell is sweet adjuncts and vegetables.

Taste is sweetness and alcohol. Not complex and not pleasant.

Out of the bomber I choked down about half a pint before drainpouring the rest. A hideous beer.

02-07-2010 04:38:59 | More by JAramini
kaufmaal

1.45/5  rDev -58.9%

Poured into a pint glass. I was looking forward to a this, as the bottle called it a "Dopplebock," and Abita's beer have been decent. Once I poured it and smelled it, the Andygaror was clearly not a dopplebock. The alcohol smell came through right away along with a strong and very unappealing grass odor. Carbonation was minimal. The taste was very unappealing: overly sweet and loaded with rice. An extremely sour aftertaste lasted for some time, and I continued to smell what seemed like old celery. Malt liquor qualities throughout, as it reminded me of a Milwaukee's Best but with twice the ABV.

09-06-2010 04:45:51 | More by kaufmaal
philipquarles

Connecticut

1.95/5  rDev -44.8%

On tap at the brewpub. Pours a clear gold with a two-finger white head. Decent retention and fairly nice lacing. Smells sugary sweet, grainy and a hint of alcohol. Off-putting. Taste is similar; sweetness that's really unmatched by anything else in the brew, making it fairly unbalanced. Grainy malt again, with some citric notes and alcohol. Mouthfeel is a bit on the watery side, but not horrible. It's like all of the negative characteristics that one can find in a cheap lager have been cranked up to 11. The worst beer Abita makes.

08-23-2008 04:18:02 | More by philipquarles
goochpunch

2.03/5  rDev -42.5%

Came to me on tap from the Greenroom (formerly Froggy's [RIP]) in a translucent plastic cup. Lights were kind of low, but it poured a sickly malt liquorish brassed-orange body with no head. Nose is all grain, sugar and alcohol. There is some weird estery thing going on too. The nose is really the same in the flavor here, but the sweetness ended up being much worse than I had expected. The phenols or esters or whatever the hell was going on with this beer come out way too much also. Lots of medicinal alcohol. Mouthfeel is slick, syrupy, prickly, and tongue-coating. I finished the cup, but only because I'm cheap.

05-23-2007 08:13:39 | More by goochpunch
yemenmocha

Arizona

2.08/5  rDev -41.1%

Pours beautiful golden color with contrasting white head that is very creamy. Nose is faint, but has a macro-malty, lemony boozy quality to it. Palate has a sharp character, alcohol easily noticed right away, modest malt flavor, and nothing much positive for the mind to latch onto.

03-14-2009 06:56:53 | More by yemenmocha
brandon911

2.13/5  rDev -39.7%

Had at the Pioneer Pub In Natchitoches Louisiana.
When I had this, I had no idea what style it was and just assumed it was a Hefe- or some other wheat style beer.
It was a pretty pale, straw yellow with a finger head. The smell was pretty much just sweet, alcohol and citrus. The taste was pretty much right on with the smell. The sweet was overpowering, almost saccharine and the citurs flavors were pretty mild. I emphasize how sweet, in a bad way, that this beer was. The mouthfeel was pretty average, mild carbonation and fairly drinkable. Overall this beer was pretty dismal. I'm normally pretty comfortable around Abita, but this one may have changed my mind. Like I said, I thought it was something along the lines of a Hefe, mainly from the citrus flavors and sweetness and the fact that I almost never ever like wheat beers.

03-03-2012 06:25:15 | More by brandon911
Reaper16

2.15/5  rDev -39.1%

served on-tap @ The Alcove, Tuscaloosa, AL, into a mason jar

Pours a generic looking honey color. Tell me that you have an imperial lager and this is what I'd expect it to look like. Not much head, probably owing to the alcohol level but the bartender could also be a culprit here. Meh.

The alcohol is the first thing that wafts up from the glass. Behind it are bubblegum gross spent grain aromas (homebrewers know this smell). I feel like flies should be swarming around this beer. There's a bit of like white grape, but not at all in an interesting way. Hops? Nah.

The taste follows the nose pretty well. This is a horrendously shallow beer. It has one note: sweetness. It's very grainy. Ugh. It also has a white-grape-meets-green-apple character that reminds me of cheap supermarket pinot grigio. This is like eating a bowl of Grape Nuts in the morning, but you didn't have milk so you used really boozy cheap white wine instead of milk. Awful.

It's a bit thick in terms of mouthfeel, but I really don't expect anything else knowing that this is an imperial lager (indeed, this is marketed as a "Helles Dopplebock" which is just stupid).

Overall, you're better off saving money and just buying malt liquor. This is a terrible beer. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Bud Light Platinum is basically the same beer as Andygator, only better. Better.

02-10-2012 17:47:53 | More by Reaper16
Bouleboubier

2.17/5  rDev -38.5%

I hate to ask again - what is a doppelbock now? I've had a coffee infused doppelbock. Suck. I've now had this "helles" doppelbock. Suck. I've had plenty of other beers which I have come to know as doppelbocks. Dark plum colored, thick malty brews. That's how it should be, no? Is "doppelbock" a blanket term to describe any jacked up German-style brew?

Anyway, this was hard to drink. I'll keep my eye open for other hellesbock, or whatever they want to be called, just for comparison sake.

The most appealing facet of this beer was the look - not that it was extraordinary. Light champagne gold with a tiny frothy head. Ample carbonation. Mildly hazy.

Smelled like it could take off paint. A ritzier Old E. Tasted much the same. Any malt or grain present in the flavor that was trying to have a polite conversation with me was being drowned out by the clipped, distorted blare of loud spicy (yeasty), fusel (phenolic) voltage. Extremely unpleasant - far from palatable in any sense. Sipped it cold, sipped it less cold, sipped it cool-warm. Blah!, bleck!, blllluuuaaa!

While it didn't burn holes through the lining of my esophagus, funk just washed over my tongue and teeth and the toxic haze of "spice" loomed large. It wouldn't go away. Grainy, biscuity sensations flared up in the very end of the finish. Still, not enjoyable.

Maybe I'm not hip to this angle yet.

07-26-2010 03:45:08 | More by Bouleboubier
Jablonski

Louisiana

2.23/5  rDev -36.8%

You can take it for what it is, and there is generally only one reason my friends buy this beer.

I have had it twice on tap at The Chimes.

Appearance: very light amber color

Taste: taste mostly like sweetened water and the alcohol is apparent

Drinkability: really got tired of the beer quickly, and I rarely want more than one pint.

11-22-2008 23:44:11 | More by Jablonski
Gyle41386

South Carolina

2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

Poured from a bomber into a Warsteiner pilsener glass.

Pours a nice clean golden color. Nice collection of tiny bubbles floating to the top. Small white head that didn't retain well. Left spotty lacing.

Smell was of very sweet fruit with a tiny sour hint. No trace of hops detected in the nose. More like cider than a beer.

Taste is rather unexciting. Sweet grains and dry malts. That's about it. Has a rather unpleasant hint of corn. Tastes like an amped up malt liquor. What in the world makes this a dopplebock? Watery feel. This one is a struggle to finish.

02-28-2009 04:20:18 | More by Gyle41386
sarahspat

2.3/5  rDev -34.8%

Very clear, mildly effervescent sunshine yellow (I thought Dopplebocks were supposed to be dark). VERY sticky and abundant white head.

Smells earthy, grassy, bready-malty, with a touch of clove.

As first it tastes very spicey. Cloves and coriander run amok. As it warms, however, it becomes kind of anonymously malty-sweet, and a strong, unpleasant stale wheat flavor grows in prominence. I also detect some celery notes. A mild caramel flavor announces itself after significant warming.

The body is way too light for the style. As far as drinkability, I didn't have much desire to finish my glass. I'm no expert on German lagers, but based simply on the BA style description of Dopplebocks... well, this isn't one. And it's really not a great beer either. It's not like it's disgusting, but not I would not drink it again.

05-21-2009 01:52:59 | More by sarahspat
TheKingofWichita

2.33/5  rDev -34%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

So far, this is my least favorite Abita beer and I have had a good number of them. Pours a pretty golden yellow color with a thick luxurious white head and tons of lacing. Smells of strong hop aroma and some malts. A blitz of hop bitterness is up front but then mellows out towards the end leaving some malty sweetness and a little citrus. Mouthfeel is medium with a good carbonation. Drinkability is okay.

12-01-2010 21:15:22 | More by TheKingofWichita
damienblack

2.38/5  rDev -32.6%

Pours a completely transparent light brown, twin jets of carbonation spiraling to the top. Nifty sized head caps it off. Sadly, this is the high point of this beer's day. It's all downhill from here. Smells yeasty and doughy, but it all smells like its been left out in the rain. Smells like I get from Magic Hat, which is like wet dog, or sweatsock. Not appealing. Not as strong as MH though, fortunately. Very faint smell of dark fruit.

The one thing the beer has going for it is that carbonation is in the right place. The beer is bready and nutty, a thin watery midbody quickly gives way to a spicey, zesty aftertaste with a kick like the smell. To me, it's sour in a bad way. This flavor just lingers. No depth or bearing at all in the mouthfeel, it's like a light-beer. It's got too much watery lager in it to be a quality beer in my opinion, and what else is left is that semi-rancid kick in the teeth. It's like it's strong in the wrong places, and weak in the wrong places alike for the style. Drinkability is inoffensive save for what I've already mentioned. I definitely won't be seeking this out. Tastes like a weak lager, not a malty doppelbock.

03-08-2009 05:26:14 | More by damienblack
frothyhead

2.38/5  rDev -32.6%

Let's get this out of the way: the label calls this a "Helles Dopplebock". This is no where near representative of any kind of dopplebock that I've ever had. I'm going to rate it simply as a lager, because the style is pretty much obscured.

Pours crisp, clear bright orangeish yellow into a pint glass with a good two finger off-white head.

Nose is bready and has a distinct malty, unfermented wort smell - like my apartment on brew day.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation.

Taste is malty and a little sweet, some very mild hop bitterness in finish. Has that same flavor of raw malt extract that the nose has.

Drinkability is average.

Overall I'm having trouble saying much of anything about this beer. It is boring and average. It's surprising that it is 8% ABV because frankly it has more in common than a standard American macro lager than it does with any kind of "extreme" beer, which the label seems to talk it up as.

05-03-2009 05:48:52 | More by frothyhead
BMoney575

Sampled on 11-8-10

Pours a very slightly hazy golden color, with almost no head and a single ring of lacing.

Smell is sweet and malty, almost macro-y. Not much else going on.

Taste is malt liquor. Sweet, boozy, and that's it.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly thin, which helps the sweetness but detracts from any good qualities.

Drinkability is poor, for the obvious reasons.

Overall, avoid.

11-09-2010 00:51:50 | More by BMoney575
far333

Connecticut

2.4/5  rDev -32%

This can't be a dopplebock. The bar listed it as a barleywine, but it's barely anything at all. A light honey yellowish color with a fine, light fizzy head that disappears quickly. There is absolutely no aroma, and the flavor is ever so faint. Flavor is mostly sweet apple and pear, a bit of an alcohol sweetness, and some lingering fruit in the finish. That is it. Mouthfeel is thin and watery, a little fizzy tingle in the finish. Pretty disappointing.

04-22-2004 16:45:38 | More by far333
unclejimbay

2.4/5  rDev -32%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Andygator
labelled as a Barley Wine, reviewed as a Doppelbock?
8.0% ABV, 235 p12os
Reviewed 3/19/09 @ Fredrick's, NO, LA
draft>pint glass

Abita calls this a Barley Wine, BA currently lists it as a Doppelbock? Weird. I would call it straight up a malt liquor - not as an insult - but it tastes like it came straight out of a 40! It's good in a malt liquor mindset. I will do my best to review it as a "Doppelbock".
A 2.5 - dark golden honey in color, small head gone quick
S 2.5 - somewhat boozy in smell, hints of sweetness and honey
T 2.5 - Sugary adjunct sweetness is dominant, it's drinkable for 8.0%, better than most malt liquors, but it has no hints of dark doppelbock notes whatsoever...
MF 2.5 - overly slick and a bit cloying. Almost "balanced out" by the high carbonation.
D 2.0 - I would drink this any day over most malt liquors, but it definitely is not a barley wine, bock, or doppelbock! It's drinkable, but it is low on my list of Abita offerings.

FYI - I would give this a pretty good review if it was listed as a Malt Liquor. It's an excellent example of a malt liquor an it would be a solid B+ or so if I was to review it in that context.

03-25-2009 18:03:25 | More by unclejimbay
cvfish

Louisiana

2.42/5  rDev -31.4%

A - This beer poured a cloudy yellow color that produced a foamy white head that did not stick around or leave any lace in the process

S - This beer has some burn to it, which amazes me that it is only (right, only) 8%, and the alcohol is not masked or muted

T - This beer has some grainy notes that to hit the palate, sour tastes, followed by the strong bite alcohol, but not good Doublebock alcohol, more like bad malt liquor alcohol

M - A smooth, medium bodied quality that lets me know that this is no malt liquor, but lots of carbonation to aid the burps

D - I was no fan of this on tap, nor am I a fan of this in the bottle. There is only one characteristic that tells me that this is not malt liquor, and I can get blazed with something much better, although this was relatively cheap (again, malt liquor-like)

12-09-2008 00:57:57 | More by cvfish
pilotgod

Oklahoma

2.45/5  rDev -30.6%

650ml bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy copperish gold with a decent head, but the head dissipates almost immediately. There was absolutely no lacing present.

S: Hops are the most present with floral notes picking up as the beer warms. Nothing really remarkable.

T: Really not impressive, the first notes are strong citrus/grapefruit and you have to wait for hints of malted barley and fruits to come through. The citrus is too overpowering to be considered a good tasting beer.

M: The strong attribute of the beer is the mouthfeel. For 8.0% ABV, the alcohol is not detectable and the carbonation is light. This beer feels almost delicate.

D: I won't buy another bottle, but I won't turn down a glass. I will try on tap if ever found as I feel this is a style that is not best suited to bottling.

01-05-2011 01:19:34 | More by pilotgod
joehop67

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

Okay, this is no dopplebock. It's more like a lager or a weiss than anything. Lightly colored with a medium head. Head retention was fair but not thick as one might expect. I found it disappointing in the fruitiness. Way too sweet with little backbone. Slightly malty with not much in the way of hop flavor. I was excited to try, but mostly disappointed with the end result. The mouthfeel is a little light, not even really coating the tounge very well. Probably not a beer i would order again. Although, I probably will give it at least one more go just to be fair.

07-07-2009 14:58:32 | More by joehop67
JoeAmerican77

Colorado

2.58/5  rDev -26.9%

A champagne apple juice color pours out with one finger of white head...

Smell of Macro fizzy yellow drink hits me with some sweet lemon and tinniness

Sweet wheat, some mild malts a hint of alcohol and after it warms a little bitter bite. Kinda like a weak malt liquor.

Mouthfeel is fuzzy, a tad warming with a semi thick mouthfeel

Overall I feel like I paid five bucks for an Old English... boo hiss

08-28-2011 01:41:22 | More by JoeAmerican77
mesatrin

2.6/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 OZ bottle. Over all not impressed with this beer, one note with no complexity.

Slight apple smell and taste with sweet malty notes. That is all I really get from this beer.

After Thought: I guess I would drink this over apple juice...

02-03-2014 00:16:06 | More by mesatrin
oberon

2.63/5  rDev -25.5%

First off this is not a doppelbock in any way shape or form not even close its a strong malt liquor beer that will kick you in the teeth.Poured a dull light golden with a thinner white head that doesnt last to long,whoo the alcohol is there in the nose for sure along with some toasted malt but the sweet alcohol is more prevelant than anything.Just not in to the flavors of this malt licka starts out pretty sweet the somewhat watery mouthfeel does not hold up to the big sweetness at the start of this beer melding into a grainy,alcoholic burn into the finish.Eh the flavors are just to wicked for me to sweet and to much of a burn,I guess for malt licka its ok but I stay away from that shite.

07-08-2006 21:51:49 | More by oberon
bbothen

2.63/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into Sam Adams beer glass.

Pours a pale macro straw like color with a big, thick, & creamy 3 finger deep white head. Head is impressive & looks great. Lots of sticky lacing left on glass.

Smells grainy, sweet, boozy, pilsner like. All faint.

Buttery, sweet, malt liqour like, alcohol, sugary candy, apple, spiciness, hmmmm.

Light bodied, nicely carbonated, oily, sticky, lingering butter like flavor.

Not a big fan of this one. Cant see myself having again.

03-30-2009 01:20:50 | More by bbothen
Andygator from Abita Brewing Co.