Andygator - Abita Brewing Co.

AndygatorAndygator

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Doppelbock |  8.00% ABV

Andygator, a creature of the swamp, is a unique high-gravity brew made with pale malt, German lager yeast, and German Perle hops. Unlike other high-gravity brews, Andygator is fermented to a dry finish with a slightly sweet flavor and subtle fruit aroma. Reaching an alcohol strength of 8% by volume, it is a Helles Dopplebock.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-01-2003)
2.03/5  rDev -42.7%

Came to me on tap from the Greenroom (formerly Froggy's [RIP]) in a translucent plastic cup. Lights were kind of low, but it poured a sickly malt liquorish brassed-orange body with no head. Nose is all grain, sugar and alcohol. There is some weird estery thing going on too. The nose is really the same in the flavor here, but the sweetness ended up being much worse than I had expected. The phenols or esters or whatever the hell was going on with this beer come out way too much also. Lots of medicinal alcohol. Mouthfeel is slick, syrupy, prickly, and tongue-coating. I finished the cup, but only because I'm cheap.

2.08/5  rDev -41.2%

Pours beautiful golden color with contrasting white head that is very creamy. Nose is faint, but has a macro-malty, lemony boozy quality to it. Palate has a sharp character, alcohol easily noticed right away, modest malt flavor, and nothing much positive for the mind to latch onto.

2.13/5  rDev -39.8%

Had at the Pioneer Pub In Natchitoches Louisiana.
When I had this, I had no idea what style it was and just assumed it was a Hefe- or some other wheat style beer.
It was a pretty pale, straw yellow with a finger head. The smell was pretty much just sweet, alcohol and citrus. The taste was pretty much right on with the smell. The sweet was overpowering, almost saccharine and the citurs flavors were pretty mild. I emphasize how sweet, in a bad way, that this beer was. The mouthfeel was pretty average, mild carbonation and fairly drinkable. Overall this beer was pretty dismal. I'm normally pretty comfortable around Abita, but this one may have changed my mind. Like I said, I thought it was something along the lines of a Hefe, mainly from the citrus flavors and sweetness and the fact that I almost never ever like wheat beers.

2.15/5  rDev -39.3%

served on-tap @ The Alcove, Tuscaloosa, AL, into a mason jar

Pours a generic looking honey color. Tell me that you have an imperial lager and this is what I'd expect it to look like. Not much head, probably owing to the alcohol level but the bartender could also be a culprit here. Meh.

The alcohol is the first thing that wafts up from the glass. Behind it are bubblegum gross spent grain aromas (homebrewers know this smell). I feel like flies should be swarming around this beer. There's a bit of like white grape, but not at all in an interesting way. Hops? Nah.

The taste follows the nose pretty well. This is a horrendously shallow beer. It has one note: sweetness. It's very grainy. Ugh. It also has a white-grape-meets-green-apple character that reminds me of cheap supermarket pinot grigio. This is like eating a bowl of Grape Nuts in the morning, but you didn't have milk so you used really boozy cheap white wine instead of milk. Awful.

It's a bit thick in terms of mouthfeel, but I really don't expect anything else knowing that this is an imperial lager (indeed, this is marketed as a "Helles Dopplebock" which is just stupid).

Overall, you're better off saving money and just buying malt liquor. This is a terrible beer. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Bud Light Platinum is basically the same beer as Andygator, only better. Better.

2.17/5  rDev -38.7%

I hate to ask again - what is a doppelbock now? I've had a coffee infused doppelbock. Suck. I've now had this "helles" doppelbock. Suck. I've had plenty of other beers which I have come to know as doppelbocks. Dark plum colored, thick malty brews. That's how it should be, no? Is "doppelbock" a blanket term to describe any jacked up German-style brew?

Anyway, this was hard to drink. I'll keep my eye open for other hellesbock, or whatever they want to be called, just for comparison sake.

The most appealing facet of this beer was the look - not that it was extraordinary. Light champagne gold with a tiny frothy head. Ample carbonation. Mildly hazy.

Smelled like it could take off paint. A ritzier Old E. Tasted much the same. Any malt or grain present in the flavor that was trying to have a polite conversation with me was being drowned out by the clipped, distorted blare of loud spicy (yeasty), fusel (phenolic) voltage. Extremely unpleasant - far from palatable in any sense. Sipped it cold, sipped it less cold, sipped it cool-warm. Blah!, bleck!, blllluuuaaa!

While it didn't burn holes through the lining of my esophagus, funk just washed over my tongue and teeth and the toxic haze of "spice" loomed large. It wouldn't go away. Grainy, biscuity sensations flared up in the very end of the finish. Still, not enjoyable.

Maybe I'm not hip to this angle yet.

2.23/5  rDev -37%

You can take it for what it is, and there is generally only one reason my friends buy this beer.

I have had it twice on tap at The Chimes.

Appearance: very light amber color

Taste: taste mostly like sweetened water and the alcohol is apparent

Drinkability: really got tired of the beer quickly, and I rarely want more than one pint.

2.25/5  rDev -36.4%

Poured from a bomber into a Warsteiner pilsener glass.

Pours a nice clean golden color. Nice collection of tiny bubbles floating to the top. Small white head that didn't retain well. Left spotty lacing.

Smell was of very sweet fruit with a tiny sour hint. No trace of hops detected in the nose. More like cider than a beer.

Taste is rather unexciting. Sweet grains and dry malts. That's about it. Has a rather unpleasant hint of corn. Tastes like an amped up malt liquor. What in the world makes this a dopplebock? Watery feel. This one is a struggle to finish.

2.3/5  rDev -35%

Very clear, mildly effervescent sunshine yellow (I thought Dopplebocks were supposed to be dark). VERY sticky and abundant white head.

Smells earthy, grassy, bready-malty, with a touch of clove.

As first it tastes very spicey. Cloves and coriander run amok. As it warms, however, it becomes kind of anonymously malty-sweet, and a strong, unpleasant stale wheat flavor grows in prominence. I also detect some celery notes. A mild caramel flavor announces itself after significant warming.

The body is way too light for the style. As far as drinkability, I didn't have much desire to finish my glass. I'm no expert on German lagers, but based simply on the BA style description of Dopplebocks... well, this isn't one. And it's really not a great beer either. It's not like it's disgusting, but not I would not drink it again.

2.33/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

So far, this is my least favorite Abita beer and I have had a good number of them. Pours a pretty golden yellow color with a thick luxurious white head and tons of lacing. Smells of strong hop aroma and some malts. A blitz of hop bitterness is up front but then mellows out towards the end leaving some malty sweetness and a little citrus. Mouthfeel is medium with a good carbonation. Drinkability is okay.

2.36/5  rDev -33.3%

2.38/5  rDev -32.8%

Let's get this out of the way: the label calls this a "Helles Dopplebock". This is no where near representative of any kind of dopplebock that I've ever had. I'm going to rate it simply as a lager, because the style is pretty much obscured.

Pours crisp, clear bright orangeish yellow into a pint glass with a good two finger off-white head.

Nose is bready and has a distinct malty, unfermented wort smell - like my apartment on brew day.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation.

Taste is malty and a little sweet, some very mild hop bitterness in finish. Has that same flavor of raw malt extract that the nose has.

Drinkability is average.

Overall I'm having trouble saying much of anything about this beer. It is boring and average. It's surprising that it is 8% ABV because frankly it has more in common than a standard American macro lager than it does with any kind of "extreme" beer, which the label seems to talk it up as.

Sampled on 11-8-10

Pours a very slightly hazy golden color, with almost no head and a single ring of lacing.

Smell is sweet and malty, almost macro-y. Not much else going on.

Taste is malt liquor. Sweet, boozy, and that's it.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly thin, which helps the sweetness but detracts from any good qualities.

Drinkability is poor, for the obvious reasons.

Overall, avoid.

2.38/5  rDev -32.8%

Pours a completely transparent light brown, twin jets of carbonation spiraling to the top. Nifty sized head caps it off. Sadly, this is the high point of this beer's day. It's all downhill from here. Smells yeasty and doughy, but it all smells like its been left out in the rain. Smells like I get from Magic Hat, which is like wet dog, or sweatsock. Not appealing. Not as strong as MH though, fortunately. Very faint smell of dark fruit.

The one thing the beer has going for it is that carbonation is in the right place. The beer is bready and nutty, a thin watery midbody quickly gives way to a spicey, zesty aftertaste with a kick like the smell. To me, it's sour in a bad way. This flavor just lingers. No depth or bearing at all in the mouthfeel, it's like a light-beer. It's got too much watery lager in it to be a quality beer in my opinion, and what else is left is that semi-rancid kick in the teeth. It's like it's strong in the wrong places, and weak in the wrong places alike for the style. Drinkability is inoffensive save for what I've already mentioned. I definitely won't be seeking this out. Tastes like a weak lager, not a malty doppelbock.

2.4/5  rDev -32.2%

This can't be a dopplebock. The bar listed it as a barleywine, but it's barely anything at all. A light honey yellowish color with a fine, light fizzy head that disappears quickly. There is absolutely no aroma, and the flavor is ever so faint. Flavor is mostly sweet apple and pear, a bit of an alcohol sweetness, and some lingering fruit in the finish. That is it. Mouthfeel is thin and watery, a little fizzy tingle in the finish. Pretty disappointing.

2.4/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Andygator
labelled as a Barley Wine, reviewed as a Doppelbock?
8.0% ABV, 235 p12os
Reviewed 3/19/09 @ Fredrick's, NO, LA
draft>pint glass

Abita calls this a Barley Wine, BA currently lists it as a Doppelbock? Weird. I would call it straight up a malt liquor - not as an insult - but it tastes like it came straight out of a 40! It's good in a malt liquor mindset. I will do my best to review it as a "Doppelbock".
A 2.5 - dark golden honey in color, small head gone quick
S 2.5 - somewhat boozy in smell, hints of sweetness and honey
T 2.5 - Sugary adjunct sweetness is dominant, it's drinkable for 8.0%, better than most malt liquors, but it has no hints of dark doppelbock notes whatsoever...
MF 2.5 - overly slick and a bit cloying. Almost "balanced out" by the high carbonation.
D 2.0 - I would drink this any day over most malt liquors, but it definitely is not a barley wine, bock, or doppelbock! It's drinkable, but it is low on my list of Abita offerings.

FYI - I would give this a pretty good review if it was listed as a Malt Liquor. It's an excellent example of a malt liquor an it would be a solid B+ or so if I was to review it in that context.

2.42/5  rDev -31.6%

A - This beer poured a cloudy yellow color that produced a foamy white head that did not stick around or leave any lace in the process

S - This beer has some burn to it, which amazes me that it is only (right, only) 8%, and the alcohol is not masked or muted

T - This beer has some grainy notes that to hit the palate, sour tastes, followed by the strong bite alcohol, but not good Doublebock alcohol, more like bad malt liquor alcohol

M - A smooth, medium bodied quality that lets me know that this is no malt liquor, but lots of carbonation to aid the burps

D - I was no fan of this on tap, nor am I a fan of this in the bottle. There is only one characteristic that tells me that this is not malt liquor, and I can get blazed with something much better, although this was relatively cheap (again, malt liquor-like)

2.45/5  rDev -30.8%

650ml bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy copperish gold with a decent head, but the head dissipates almost immediately. There was absolutely no lacing present.

S: Hops are the most present with floral notes picking up as the beer warms. Nothing really remarkable.

T: Really not impressive, the first notes are strong citrus/grapefruit and you have to wait for hints of malted barley and fruits to come through. The citrus is too overpowering to be considered a good tasting beer.

M: The strong attribute of the beer is the mouthfeel. For 8.0% ABV, the alcohol is not detectable and the carbonation is light. This beer feels almost delicate.

D: I won't buy another bottle, but I won't turn down a glass. I will try on tap if ever found as I feel this is a style that is not best suited to bottling.

2.5/5  rDev -29.4%

Andygator from Abita Brewing Co.