2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Andygator - Abita Brewing Co.

AndygatorAndygator

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  8.00% ABV

Andygator, a creature of the swamp, is a unique high-gravity brew made with pale malt, German lager yeast, and German Perle hops. Unlike other high-gravity brews, Andygator is fermented to a dry finish with a slightly sweet flavor and subtle fruit aroma. Reaching an alcohol strength of 8% by volume, it is a Helles Dopplebock.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-01-2003)
View: Beers (46) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 936 | Reviews: 358 | Show All Ratings:
Bouleboubier

2.17/5  rDev -38.5%

I hate to ask again - what is a doppelbock now? I've had a coffee infused doppelbock. Suck. I've now had this "helles" doppelbock. Suck. I've had plenty of other beers which I have come to know as doppelbocks. Dark plum colored, thick malty brews. That's how it should be, no? Is "doppelbock" a blanket term to describe any jacked up German-style brew?

Anyway, this was hard to drink. I'll keep my eye open for other hellesbock, or whatever they want to be called, just for comparison sake.

The most appealing facet of this beer was the look - not that it was extraordinary. Light champagne gold with a tiny frothy head. Ample carbonation. Mildly hazy.

Smelled like it could take off paint. A ritzier Old E. Tasted much the same. Any malt or grain present in the flavor that was trying to have a polite conversation with me was being drowned out by the clipped, distorted blare of loud spicy (yeasty), fusel (phenolic) voltage. Extremely unpleasant - far from palatable in any sense. Sipped it cold, sipped it less cold, sipped it cool-warm. Blah!, bleck!, blllluuuaaa!

While it didn't burn holes through the lining of my esophagus, funk just washed over my tongue and teeth and the toxic haze of "spice" loomed large. It wouldn't go away. Grainy, biscuity sensations flared up in the very end of the finish. Still, not enjoyable.

Maybe I'm not hip to this angle yet.

07-26-2010 03:45:08 | More by Bouleboubier
Stigs

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz pour in a mini-snifter

A - light gold in color, minimal loose bubbly white foam leaving minimal spotty lacing behind.

S - not much here, some faint toasted and buttery malts, earthy hops, and over-ripened fruit.

T - mostly sweet dominated by honey, dark fruits, grains, toasted malts and some grain alcohol.

M - light bodied with nice crisp carbonation. finishes dry and a little sticky. lingering grassy hops and sweet fruits.

D - this wasnt what i ordered but was given by mistake (albeit for free). i'm never one to turn down a free beverage but about 3/4 of the way through i had enough, not because i overly disliked it, just because it became a bit boring.

07-05-2010 02:15:31 | More by Stigs
MrTito

4.4/5  rDev +24.6%

This has been a favorite of mine for about a year, and I'm ecstatic that a lot of local bars and stores have it on draft. I tend to gauge establishments by their offerings, so if this is on the menu then I feel I'm in good company.

A - Pure golden, though a slightly disappointing head that dissipates quickly. Minimal lacing, but present.

S - Fruity, a bit of alcohol. Nothing overwhelming but also nothing unpleasant either.

T - This is where Andygator wins me over. While not complex, it is nonetheless delicious. A fair malt quality, sweetness, and minimal hops. I don't mind hopiness at all, but there is hardly any here and I'm fine with that. The taste almost (but without disparagement) reminds me of a hard cider. If you're a fan of bitterness, stay away because there is none here.

M - Medium bodied. A quality thickness without being sticky or too lingering. Though, there is a bit of a dry finish. To a certain extent the body betrays the appearance. Perhaps having a glass of water handy will help combat the dryness, and the 8%.

D - Definitely a must try. Great for a muggy summer night when you don't want something heavy but can't settle for something light. Just watch out for the 8% - it will sneak up on you.

07-02-2010 03:57:05 | More by MrTito
erosier

Connecticut

3.38/5  rDev -4.2%

L: Pours a nice orange yellow with a medium bodied and medium sized white head that fades fast and laces a bit down the glass.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malts, a touch of fruit, then a nice hop aroma that is mostly earthy, followed by a hint of alcohol.
T: Tastes like it smells with a lot of sweet toasted and roasted malts with hints of a bit of sweet fruit, then a nice earthy hop flavor followed up with a bit of alcohol.
M: Smooth, lighter bodied than it probably should have been, right amount of carbonation.
D: OK drink-ability, the alcohol was pretty noticeable but the other flavors were pretty good.

06-28-2010 10:41:24 | More by erosier
mklinger

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured into a pint glass. Pale golden -- a doppel maibock, I guess. Thin head formed.

Aroma was minimal. Some malt character, bit of bready sweetness, not much else.

Taste was similar. More of a malt focus with only a bit of hop character. I would have never guessed this was an 8%abv beer. Very smooth & easy to drink. I didn't find this beer to have a lot of character, but it wasn't bad or flawed in any way. Just not as interesting as I had hoped.

03-19-2010 20:48:05 | More by mklinger
KrisPaulk77

Mississippi

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

*On tap at the Abita Brewery*

Poured a slightly hazy golden color with a thin wisp of a white head. The head faded rather fast, but a decent cap of foam lingered throughout the whole serving.
The aroma has the initial lager cleanliness, but the sweet malt starts to show, a slight banana aroma, some doughy tones, a whisp of fruits (apples?), and some florals from the hops.
The taste is sweet and malty, with a mild background bitterness. Bready tones, alcohol, a light nutty taste, and caramels all make a showing. The beer feels slightly thick and smooth, has nice carbonation, and has medium body.
Overall, a decent showing from Abita. I will continue to enjoy an Andygator from time to time, especially on visits to the brewery.

03-09-2010 02:06:16 | More by KrisPaulk77
DavidSeanNJ

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Andygator on Tap....

A- Dark golden color with some orangey tint. Creamy white head about a fingertip long. No lacing.

S- Big hints of banana and pineapple. Fruity and chewy bubblegum. Spice.

T- Cloves, Candied Sugars, Malty, and chocolate banana. Bubbleyum bubblegum. This is an odd doppelbock, but I can't help but enjoy it. Dangerous and flavorful. Very Belgian-y. Spice- corriander.

M- Luscious and creamy. Chewy and slightly bold.

D- Easy drinking beer because of the big flavors. I warn you, this one will creep up on you!

02-28-2010 21:34:03 | More by DavidSeanNJ
cdizinno

South Carolina

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Clear golden yellow color with nice white head and minimal lacing. Not what I would expect.

S: Very sweet smell. It almost smelled spoiled at first, but it is a honey sweet smell that is quite odd. Some fruitiness and no hop aromas.

T&M: Nice clean, crisp taste. Mild fruitiness with heavy malt flavors. Hint of caramel and citrus hops make this a great tasting beer. It is a smooth, full-bodied beer that is quite heavy for it's clarity.

This stuff is spot on for the style with the exception of color. Slow drinking but very good. I am usually skeptical of Abita brews, but I'd highly recommend this as it is high quality and tasty.

01-31-2010 16:38:00 | More by cdizinno
BeerisfoodLLC

Maryland

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

Tried this on a whim at a bar in New orleans as I had never seen it before. Bar tender didn't know what type of beer it was so I didn't know what to expect:

A - Golden color with a thick head that dissipated fast.

S - Sweet smelling with hints of wheat and spices?

T - Tastes like it smells...kinds of s sweet yet sour taste, light on the hops.

M - Lighter bodied but it fools you a little as it is kinda chewy.

D - Not my favorite style of beer so I am probably a little biased...but not bad.

12-30-2009 21:14:04 | More by BeerisfoodLLC
beertunes

Washington

2.95/5  rDev -16.4%

Before I start my review, a couple of notes. The bartender at the restaurant where I had this didn't know anything about the beer, so I just went at it blind. When I looked it up here, I thought "Helles Dopplebock? What the hell? I never thought Dopplebock while drinking it!". Keep that in mind during the review.

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a clear golden yellow with a white head that quickly dissipated and left slightly more than a little lacing.

The slightly sweet aroma had a solid, grainy scent with a bit of a hop note at the end. The flavor was extremely close to the scent, just a little sweeter than the aroma indicated. Primarily grain/grass flavors with a pleasant little hop zing at the end.

The body was light (but remember, I had no idea of style while drinking this beer) and sticky. Drinkability was good (in my notes I said good, but why have more than one?) and now that I see what they were trying for here, I bumped the score up a little bit.

Overall, a decent beer worth trying, I'll go back and try it again and adjust my review if needed.

12-28-2009 22:21:57 | More by beertunes
Domingo

Colorado

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

Had this on tap at the Mellow Mushroom in Montgomery, Al.
Brews of this potency are new to the area so it was described as simply being "a high gravity beer from the people who make Purple Haze." Mmmmkay - fair enough.
Initially I wasn't sure what it was supposed to be.
It's big, boozy, and sweet, but the yeast has a presence that isn't typical for most lagers.
It's got a pale yellow color with more head than you'd think for a beer that's 8%.
It smells really malty and potent, but maybe a little spicy, too? I thought it was Belgian initially.
The taste is one-dimensional, however I'd honestly say most pale bocks tend to lean in that direction if they aren't aggressively hopped. Malty sweet, like sugar candy. Not really even much of a bready flavor.
Mouthfeelt is slick, but there's nothing wrong with that.
Drinkability isn't so high. After about 2/3 of my mug, I'd really had enough and became bored...and I really didn't want anything else afterward either.
I usually like Abita's beers, especially for the climate...but this one didn't do it for me.

12-28-2009 21:29:03 | More by Domingo
atsprings

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

On-tap at Flying Saucer served in a cool gator printed Andygator pint glass for me to keep a crisp pale orange (this is a doppelbock?) with a frothy eggshell head that lasts as a thin layer and leaves very nice lacing on the glass. Aroma is sweet malts with a hint of hops. The taste is surprisingly remincent of a darker doppelbock; burnt caramel, molasses and slight dried fruit. The beer is on the heavy side with a decent amount of present alcohol. This is certainly an interesting brew, likely the best I've had yet from Abita.

10-21-2009 23:17:32 | More by atsprings
ProfessorCJ

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

From a tap served in an ale glass.

A-Clear golden yellow color with a finger of white foam. Foam brfokedown into a white ring after a few minutes.

S-Slight hop smell, with a yeast overtone. No single smell overwelmed the others.

T-Very balanced hops versus malt with very little actual yeast taste. Refreshing.

M-Good mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. Nice after taste.

D-Definately drinkable, it went down really well with the pizza.

08-04-2009 21:08:23 | More by ProfessorCJ
joehop67

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

Okay, this is no dopplebock. It's more like a lager or a weiss than anything. Lightly colored with a medium head. Head retention was fair but not thick as one might expect. I found it disappointing in the fruitiness. Way too sweet with little backbone. Slightly malty with not much in the way of hop flavor. I was excited to try, but mostly disappointed with the end result. The mouthfeel is a little light, not even really coating the tounge very well. Probably not a beer i would order again. Although, I probably will give it at least one more go just to be fair.

07-07-2009 14:58:32 | More by joehop67
ChainGangGuy

3.1/5  rDev -12.2%

16 ounce pint - $5.50 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Arrived at Table 43 a shimmering, golden-amber body topped with a fizzy, white foam. Lovely, glass-coating lace on the way down. If nothing else, at least it looks nice.

Smell: Vaguely sweet-smelling, grainy malt aroma paired with fruity notes and some spicy, even lightly herbal Noble hop scents.

Taste: Light pils maltiness initially, lightly sweet and with a minor hint of grain. Fruit flavors follow of yellow apples and white grapeskins. Spicy hop character delivers a medium amount of balancing bitterness. Touch of wildflower honey in the latter half of the taste, along with a few more discarded grapeskins. Finishes fairly drying with a coy, knowing wink from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-high carbonation is greatly appreciated, as I'd wager this would otherwise be a syrupy, cloying mess otherwise.

Drinkability: Sorry, but I just didn't find this one to be a pleasure to drink nor is it agreeable in large quantities -- the completion of the sixteen ounces dragged on into the second shift at Taco Mac.

04-26-2009 17:19:05 | More by ChainGangGuy
unclejimbay

2.4/5  rDev -32%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Andygator
labelled as a Barley Wine, reviewed as a Doppelbock?
8.0% ABV, 235 p12os
Reviewed 3/19/09 @ Fredrick's, NO, LA
draft>pint glass

Abita calls this a Barley Wine, BA currently lists it as a Doppelbock? Weird. I would call it straight up a malt liquor - not as an insult - but it tastes like it came straight out of a 40! It's good in a malt liquor mindset. I will do my best to review it as a "Doppelbock".
A 2.5 - dark golden honey in color, small head gone quick
S 2.5 - somewhat boozy in smell, hints of sweetness and honey
T 2.5 - Sugary adjunct sweetness is dominant, it's drinkable for 8.0%, better than most malt liquors, but it has no hints of dark doppelbock notes whatsoever...
MF 2.5 - overly slick and a bit cloying. Almost "balanced out" by the high carbonation.
D 2.0 - I would drink this any day over most malt liquors, but it definitely is not a barley wine, bock, or doppelbock! It's drinkable, but it is low on my list of Abita offerings.

FYI - I would give this a pretty good review if it was listed as a Malt Liquor. It's an excellent example of a malt liquor an it would be a solid B+ or so if I was to review it in that context.

03-25-2009 18:03:25 | More by unclejimbay
champ103

3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a clear golden/yellow color. A small white head forms and recedes in an instant. Some nice sticky lace though.
S: Mainly some malt sweetness and light grain. Some husky grassy and yeast aromas. Very light hop bitterness. Fairly standard helles aroma.
T: Mostly sweet malt again. Some light grain, and much more pronounced hop bitterness lingers on.
M/D: A medium body with a crisp and clean snap of carbonation. This drinks pretty easy for being 8% ABV. I quaffed a few at a hotel bar in Morgan City, LA with no problem.

Not bad at all. I don't know what to call this. This is not a dopplebock at all though. If anything this is a helles lager. Still, something that is worth a try.

03-22-2009 22:28:23 | More by champ103
TheMistler

District of Columbia

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I love doppelbocks, and I've intended to try this brew many of the times I've been in New Orleans. Before my most recent trip I'd never had the opportunity, but I devoured this page before my most recent trip to keep it in my mind. I'm glad I did, because this is not like any other doppelbock, and truly is a heavy, heady helles.

Poured a clear but nonetheless rather dark orange brown color, with a creamy white head. Very whispy, light top, reminiscent of many other higher ABV brews' caps.

A sweet but tangy nose, somewhat reminiscent of a Czeck pils. Bready notes, maybe I'd say sourdough.

A grain malt bomb, but not the chocolate or darker notes found in other doppelbocks - lighter malts. A coarse grain taste. Slightly medicinal alcohol note, but the the ABV is rather well integrated (it packs a wallop when it hits the noggin, however). Gum, interestingly. Hops accompany the grain taste and become more noticeable as you sip. Citrus. Some bittering is left on the palate, the tiniest hint of pine. More balanced between malt and hops than my initial sips indicated it would be.

Some prickly carbonation. A feel like you could bite into it - with the hint of bread in the nose and the coarse notes to the taste, I got the impression of crackers from this beer.

The taste settles on the palate heavily, and combined with the ABV make this a slow sipper of which you would not want to have more than one.

03-13-2009 02:33:20 | More by TheMistler
MisterClean

4.4/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the celebratorfest. Let me start by saying, not a big fan of this brewery.

A - Pours golden wth a nice 2 finger white head, dissipates slow, with beautiful lacing.

S - Breadiness, honey, and nectar.

T - Fairly similar to the smell, but hops lend a slight citrus and grassy profile.

M - Full-bodied and well balanced. No presence of alcohol, but slightly dry mouthfeel.

D - Great overall. Very easy drinking for an imperialish helles, yet complex enough for the beer connoisseur. Never had anything like this brew.

02-20-2009 18:31:30 | More by MisterClean
Cyberkedi

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

Comes out of the tap a nice clear amber with a decent white head. Aroma is mainly malty with a strong hoppy undertone and a sharp hint of apple, like hard cider. Flavor is malty and ciderish with a strong but not overwhelming alcohol nip and just a touch of honey sweetness. Mouthfeel is smooth, and it fairly dances on the way down.

02-13-2009 16:55:59 | More by Cyberkedi
Vengeance526

Louisiana

2.88/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a mostly clear golden color, with a very faint white head that dissipates rather quickly and leaves only the smallest bits of lacing.

Some malt comes through in the nose but this is about it.

Taste reveals subtle notes of sweetness and bits of grain but not much else. It's a very neutral flavor, neither offensive nor exciting.

Medium carbonation but this seemed fairly watered down. Didn't feel like 8% at first but the more I drank, the more of an alcoholic bite I could feel developing in the background. I should probably try the bottled version but I've never had a good enough experience with this on tap to even want to bother. The bottled Abbey Ale was good so maybe I'll give Andy another shot sometime. I'm think I'm done with this on draft though.

02-02-2009 21:04:47 | More by Vengeance526
glid02

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%

Had this on-tap at wait for it...Tap in Atlanta.

Pours a clear gold color with a one-finger white head into a pint glass. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top with decent lacing.

Smells lightly of sweet malts with small hints of light fruit.

Tastes similar to how it smells. There's not a whole lot going on, and none of the light fruit aromas come through in the taste department. Ending is mildly bitter but more of a lingering sweetness pervades.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a good thickness and goes down smoothly.

Drinkability is good. I would've guessed the ABV at somewhere in the low 6's - very drinkable for such a light-bodied beer at this ABV.

Overall there's nothing overly exciting about this beer, but it goes down easily - a middle-of-the-road beer from Abita.

01-13-2009 03:37:13 | More by glid02
soupermirl

Mississippi

4.47/5  rDev +26.6%

When I first saw Andygator after it had been transferred to the Growler at the Abita Brew Pub, I thought what a beautiful bronze to golden color. So I drove home with it, chilled it in the frig and poured it in a glass. Just a hint of hops comes out when you sniff it. Then the taste, I told my wife it was like liquid gold. This beer is a the top of my list. Now that could be because it hasn't been easy to get or because it is so very good. Doesn't taste like 8%.
We soon went by the Bulldog on Magazine in New Orleans. I had the Andygator on draft, my what a killer brew. Great taste, beautiful color. Lovely, just lovely.

01-09-2009 01:51:09 | More by soupermirl
Jablonski

Louisiana

2.23/5  rDev -36.8%

You can take it for what it is, and there is generally only one reason my friends buy this beer.

I have had it twice on tap at The Chimes.

Appearance: very light amber color

Taste: taste mostly like sweetened water and the alcohol is apparent

Drinkability: really got tired of the beer quickly, and I rarely want more than one pint.

11-22-2008 23:44:11 | More by Jablonski
hopdog

On tap at Capone's.

Poured a medium golden color with a smaller sized white head. Aromas of alcohol, spicy, grainy, and somewhat fruity. Tastes of fruitiness, grains, and the same pepper spiciness. Some alcohol in the finish.

Notes from and tasted on 1/08/08.

11-04-2008 18:01:54 | More by hopdog
Andygator from Abita Brewing Co.