Andygator - Abita Brewing Co.

AndygatorAndygator

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Doppelbock |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-01-2003

Andygator, a creature of the swamp, is a unique high-gravity brew made with pale malt, German lager yeast, and German Perle hops. Unlike other high-gravity brews, Andygator is fermented to a dry finish with a slightly sweet flavor and subtle fruit aroma. Reaching an alcohol strength of 8% by volume, it is a Helles Dopplebock.

3.82/5  rDev +7.9%

A- hazy golden color with medium white head and light lacing.

S- Sweet bread with earthy hops, hints of mild apples. Nutty with pepper hints.

T- Sweet toasted malts, herbal with hints of cinnomon and pepper. Nutty. Nice.

M- Mellow medium body with a slight booze burn. Warm and mellow. Nice carbonation.

D- Good balance between the malts and hops with subtle hints of different spices. I easily drank this one.

Poured into a standard shaker pint glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As poured the beer is clear light golden color with ¼" white head that soon recedes. There is some very light lacing, but not a lot.

Smell: The aromas include some grainy or bready malt and some earthy/herbal hops. There also seems to be some traces of alcohol.

Taste: The flavors contain some lightly toasted malt backed up by a fair amount of sweetness that is prevented from cloying by the arrival of the earthy bitter character of the hops. Some alcohol can be detected.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium to light bodied and prickly with the abundant carbonation. The finish is medium length and basically bitter with the earthy/herbal character of the hops. Not particularly dry.

Drinkability: I can see that this beer actually does really fit with the bottle description (Helles doppelbock) in that it is an helles bock with extra "oomph" to strengthen the alcohol. That said I've not become a fan of this beer. It lacks some of the subtle complexity I like to find in an helles bock. It was ok to try it but I'll probably not revisit this one. ( I thought this one better on tap.)

2.43/5  rDev -31.4%

Sampled on 11-8-10

Pours a very slightly hazy golden color, with almost no head and a single ring of lacing.

Smell is sweet and malty, almost macro-y. Not much else going on.

Taste is malt liquor. Sweet, boozy, and that's it.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly thin, which helps the sweetness but detracts from any good qualities.

Drinkability is poor, for the obvious reasons.

Overall, avoid.

3.08/5  rDev -13%

Andygator has a cloudy yellow body and a pretty good-looking white head that is a finger and a half tall with decent retention.

Big malt bill in this one. Grainy and sweet with hops and fruit around the edges.

Andygator is a pretty standard golden strong ale or helles-bock. A pretty big malt profile has sweetness, a bit of cereal, grain and a touch of honey. The malt is balanced by a slight peppery flavor and a bit of an earthy hop bitterness. Alcohol is fairly noticeable in the finish.

Full-bodied and pretty nice as far as mouthfeel goes.

When I ordered this beer my brother, who is from Louisiana, said "that's what we order at the bar when we just want to get wasted." I ordered it anyway, but after having one I am inclined to agree with him. It is big, malty, boozy, and tastes more like an Old English than a craft beer (although big lagers an pilsners tend to have that quality).

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured out of a 650ml bottle.

Clear amber color with a thick head.

Has hints of fruit, some citrus but apple and other also, and yeast

Good taste with some fruits and grain earthiness. Not a lot of alcohol taste with a slight sweetness to it.

Mouth is medium body with some carbonation

Good drink ability, doesn't chase you away from the alcohol, and has flavor. will have to try again to see if it holds up

3.83/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a two finger light cream head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Crystal clear light amber/yellow color. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Light grassy nose. Flavor is malty sweet, hints of grass. $3.99 for a 22oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT. Best by May 2011.

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

1 pt. 6 oz. bottle:

Pours bright golden yellow with a fluffy/foamy white head that leaves some lacing.

The smell is of sweet grain, somewhat nutty with lemongrass.

The taste is of sweet grainy, slightly nutty with a hint of yellow apples, honey, and spices.

It has a thickish, syrupy medium body. Medium to high carbonation saves this brew from sickly sweetness.

I appreciate experimentation with imperial styles, but this one just doesn't work that well for me. I don't think the beer is poorly conceived. But I don't think that it really works as a style. Nice try but just not my cup of tea.

4.27/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a Boston Lager Perfect Pint glass.

A- Golden and clear with a fluffy, white head. Leaves a perect amount of lacing, imo.

S-Floral and slightly fruity. A hint of alcohol, but very subtle.

T- Oh man, this is nice. The barely fruity sweetness is up front, then perfectly off-set by the hops at the end. I am very picky when it comes to bitter, but this citrusy hops works well with the other flavors.

MF- The carbonation is slightly above normal.

D- Easily one of the most drinkable high-grav brews I've ever had. I drank the entire bottle much quicker than I thought I was going to and loved ever second of it. I honestly didn't realize it was high gravity until I finished the bottle and looked it up.

Overall, this goes high on the list of brews that I want a lot more of.

4.12/5  rDev +16.4%

22oz bottle into a Snifter glass

A- Pours a nice golden yellow with a seriously fluffy almost Guinness on tap worthy bright white head.

S- Pale malts and strong yeast. Subtle fruit and banana, maybe some black pepper.

T- So creamy! Tastes like it smells, very fruity and yeasty. Solid malt body, not as pale tasting as it smells. Really good

M- Fuller creamy head like body with decent carbonation and a very tiny bit of bitter in the finish.

SkÅL!

3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

I have seen this beer around for quite some time, and for some reason I thought that it was your typical over-hopped IPA. I finally noticed that it was a Helles Doppelbock, so I thought that I would give it a go. I am normally a little hesitant to try domestic versions of German lagers, but Abita has some pretty decent beers.

Appearance: The beer itself poured a slightly hazy yellow golden color with a 1/4" head is small white active bubbles that faded back into the beer in about 30 seconds to end up as a small layer of bubbles on top at the edge of the glass. There are quite a few bubbles rising, but they don't really stick once they make it to the top.

Aroma: I initially got some graininess along with a lemon-grass that I suspect is hops. As the beer sits and the head fades away, the beer is getting much more toasty in the malt department. There is even a subtle alcoholic presence becoming noticeable in the aroma as a mild spiciness. Other than this, there are no off aromatics and I don't get any raw adjuncts or anything, so this is a bonus.

Taste: The flavor is pretty clean with a malt balance in the flavor as well as the mouthfeel. There is some alcoholic warming that is noticeable already and the beer is still very cold. The mouthfeel is balanced toward the sweetness as far as the hop balance goes, but the beer is pretty attenuated, so it has a dryness that helps to accentuate the finish and make the alcohol stand out a bit on its own late after the sip. The beer has some creaminess, though well attenuated, so the malt tries to give the palate something to ponder right before it gives out and lets the alcohol lead the finish.

Opinion: Overall, this is a pretty decent beer. It is obviously intended to be the style that it says it is, which is a good thing for an American version of a German beer (that often isn't the case..."Bock" for example). That said, it lacks the richness that you get from most German beers. There is plenty of malt there, but it lacks dimension. I wouldn't mind drinking this beer again, but I don't know how much I will be seeking it out. I would certainly like to try it on tap, especially at the brewery, but for now I am left with the aftertaste of a decent beer. Cheers!

3.35/5  rDev -5.4%

So, they are calling this a Helles Dopplebock. I assume that means a dopplebock brewed without the more highly roasted malts. In any event....Pours a crisp and brilliant pale amber. So clear you can read your fB page through it. Aroma carries some two-row malt and not much else. Vibrantly carbonated and gives huge head, that actually settles into a nice comforter like layer of foam, with decent lacing. I'm already impressed from what is usually a sub-par brewer. This is like Baroness' "Blue Record", to continue that thought...Ouch, wtf am I drinking? Lots of cinnamon and other stuff, like coriander, right up front in the flavor. This is truly unique, no doubt about it...But is it good? Crazy stuff going on, and a hop bitterness I can't quite place which ends the beer both sharply and with a certain roundness. It's actually well-balanced, but so wacky are these flavors they clash with each other. Hmmm...I'd have to say it's a good beer just out of uniqueness, and I like the spciy flavors...Worth trying folks. Color me a very Baroness-level surprised...

1.48/5  rDev -58.2%

Poured into a pint glass. I was looking forward to a this, as the bottle called it a "Dopplebock," and Abita's beer have been decent. Once I poured it and smelled it, the Andygaror was clearly not a dopplebock. The alcohol smell came through right away along with a strong and very unappealing grass odor. Carbonation was minimal. The taste was very unappealing: overly sweet and loaded with rice. An extremely sour aftertaste lasted for some time, and I continued to smell what seemed like old celery. Malt liquor qualities throughout, as it reminded me of a Milwaukee's Best but with twice the ABV.

3.42/5  rDev -3.4%

Having never been a huge fan of other Abita beers that I've tried, I picked this one up with a little skepticism. I was pleasantly surprised by the beer overall, especially its feel. It has an almost silky smoothness and a low to mid level of carbonation. It is sweet without overdoing it, and the predominant flavor for me was a real bready one.

After my bomber was gone however, I didn't crave any more. The lack of anything resembling a bitter note started to wear on me I guess.

All in all however, it's a good, not great beer. Definitely my favorite selection that I've had from Abita so far.

3.18/5  rDev -10.2%

A- Pours a bright vibrant golden, with a two finger white head. Fatty carb bubbles.
S- Smell is of cereal grains with some fruitiness, primarily green apple skin and some grape presence.
T- Taste is of oncooked cereal grain, some fruits, same as in aroma, and a bit of earthiness. The presence of alcohol is only really noticable in the finish. Definitely on the sweet side, but not overly so.
M- Mouthfeel is thick, almost syrupy, but the slightly elevated carbonation levels make this a momentary issue.
D- this isn't a bad beer. But abita is right. It is a beast, one that could use some domestication and refining. I probably would drink it again, but at the price point it's at, probably not.

3.72/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber bottle into a pint glass.

Poured very clear bright golden color and while it had a small head it dissipated very quickly. No obvious lacing either.

I really like the smell. As the bottle says it has fruity overtones and I could not agree more! A very nice fruity (almost canned fruit cocktail) nose and it has a very nice creamy maltiness to it.

Taste is good, but I rate it just a little lower because the finish seems a bit hollow. It does not stick around. That aside, I do like the taste. It is finished slightly sweet, but it is not cloying.

Mouthfeel is nice and the carbonation is in check. A pleasing beer for sure.

Drinkability is good and honestly I could drink a few of these even with it higher ABV. While obviously not a session beer, it is great for those hot Houston afternoons!

4.03/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a clear, light golden color. 6/4 inch head of a white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of hops, pale malt, slight grain, wheat, hint of citrus, and sweet malt. Fits the style of Maibock / Helles Bock. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, hint of wheat, hops, hint of pale malt, and a hint of citrus. Overall, good appearance, body, and blend.

3.36/5  rDev -5.1%

ST: 750ml bottle without freshness date.

A: Golden and clear with swift carbonation and a thick half a finger head that lasts and leaves a beautiful ring on the glass.

S: Bread, apple, herb hops and citrus.

T: Starts bready, then becomes herbaceous and citrus, it finishes sweet bready with slight bitterness.

M: Medium-bodied, nice carbonation, slight creaminess mid-way in.

D: Not really heavy and very smooth. However, the alcohol is hefty, this beer can and will creep up on you.

Overall: Nice beer, however, not Abita's best. Yet, for 4.99 this is a decent dinner size beer. It is perfect for hot terrible weather, the kind Maryland has been seeing for most of this summer.

3.92/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Pours with a small head of white foam on a perfectly clear, deep gold body. The foam settles rapidly and leaves little lace.

S - A little bit of red apple aroma with a lot of bready malt and some herbal hops.

T - Some bready malt with a grainy edge up front. Herbal hops begin to creep in towards the middle. Finishes with an increased musty, herbal character and moderate bitterness.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a somewhat sweet finish.

D - This is a nice hellesbock with a pleasant malt character. The hops, in the finish especially, seem a bit stronger than average for the style, but it helps to cut the malt and makes for a more drinkable than average beer.

3.44/5  rDev -2.8%

Pale, darker straw in color. Big eggshell white head, lacing is nice and sporadic.

Smell is it's weakest point. Not a whole lot. Sort of tinny, with some malty backbones.

There is an immediate malt presence up front, with a slight sweet tone. Little bit of citrus.

The feel is light, crisp and slightly silky.

Good amount of abv, but it's well hidden and easy to drink.

I think that this brew is skewed...people review this as a dopplebock. But it is much more a nice, stronger Helles, befitting the Helles Dopplebock title, being a nice double malty helles.

Oh well.

2.77/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours clear orange body with white frothy head on top. Aroma of sweet corn, grains, floral notes, and wheat. Strong flavors of stale light fruit, grains, old wheat, slight honey, and artificial sugar. Light in body which makes the unpleasant flavors stand out on the palate. Light in carbonation so you can really soak in the off flavors in this brew. This beer reminds me of the line from the movie "300", "You will not enjoy this. This will not be over quickly."

3.21/5  rDev -9.3%

Abita Andy Gator....WOW....Yellow and crystal clear! It looks like there is very little carbonation because it had a small thin white head. It quickly dissipated to just a slight film over the top of this beer. I get a a lot of banana in the nose like some hefeweizen. A bit of skunkiness on the palate with more banana. This beer is light and easy to drink. A little bit of alcohol heat is on the finish. It seems like there is too much going on at once in this beer. It is a wonderful change from Abita's other beers.

2.76/5  rDev -22%

A- Golden with a generous white head

S- Sweet malts, maybe some honey
Not really that much in the nose...

T- Sweet/musty up front, turning into a burn from alcohol in the dry finish but no hops... the dry finish is from the alcohol burn really

M- Light and ok carbonation

D- Being in Gainesville, it's nearly my namesake, too bad it's not the best example of the helles dopple... If it's offered to me, I won't turn it down, but it's certainly not something I will seek out...

2.21/5  rDev -37.6%

I hate to ask again - what is a doppelbock now? I've had a coffee infused doppelbock. Suck. I've now had this "helles" doppelbock. Suck. I've had plenty of other beers which I have come to know as doppelbocks. Dark plum colored, thick malty brews. That's how it should be, no? Is "doppelbock" a blanket term to describe any jacked up German-style brew?

Anyway, this was hard to drink. I'll keep my eye open for other hellesbock, or whatever they want to be called, just for comparison sake.

The most appealing facet of this beer was the look - not that it was extraordinary. Light champagne gold with a tiny frothy head. Ample carbonation. Mildly hazy.

Smelled like it could take off paint. A ritzier Old E. Tasted much the same. Any malt or grain present in the flavor that was trying to have a polite conversation with me was being drowned out by the clipped, distorted blare of loud spicy (yeasty), fusel (phenolic) voltage. Extremely unpleasant - far from palatable in any sense. Sipped it cold, sipped it less cold, sipped it cool-warm. Blah!, bleck!, blllluuuaaa!

While it didn't burn holes through the lining of my esophagus, funk just washed over my tongue and teeth and the toxic haze of "spice" loomed large. It wouldn't go away. Grainy, biscuity sensations flared up in the very end of the finish. Still, not enjoyable.

Maybe I'm not hip to this angle yet.

3.08/5  rDev -13%

22 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a nice clear golden color with visible carbonation. It has a big white head, pretty foamy, but with decent retention. Certainly looks "Helles".

Smell: Musty aroma with vague hints of sweeter malt undertones. Not much to go on here, and not very inspiring.

Taste: The flavor is sweet throughout (though not too excessive), starting at "just sweet" (with perhaps a hint of malt), to sweetness with grains, and then some spicy notes in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light- to medium-bodied; generally smooth and with mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Strong ABV but it isn't really apparent in the taste. However, the sweetness is a bit too lingering and gets to be a bit much.

Supposed to be a Helles Doppelbock, but not really sure if it is even between those styles. That spicy German hop character comes out a bit in the aftertaste, but it doesn't have that sweet malt flavor - the sweetness in a way seems almost artificial. Fun to try, but I doubt I'll be picking this up again.

4.05/5  rDev +14.4%

For a helles this looks great, for a dopple Bock its a bit pale. Golden and slightly orange clear color with a huge white foamy head. Lots of lacing.

Apples and grapes on the nose, no real hop scent. A bit of honey too.

Sweet with a little heat. Lots more honey and a touch of fruitiness followed by a little alcohol and dryness in the finish.

Creamy mouthfeel but a bit thin bodied. Very dry finish.

Moderately drinkable. Easy on the palette and not too heavy, though a bit foamy.

I don't usually like abitas stuff but this one is pretty damn good.

Andygator from Abita Brewing Co.