Andygator - Abita Brewing Co.

AndygatorAndygator

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Doppelbock |  8.00% ABV

Andygator, a creature of the swamp, is a unique high-gravity brew made with pale malt, German lager yeast, and German Perle hops. Unlike other high-gravity brews, Andygator is fermented to a dry finish with a slightly sweet flavor and subtle fruit aroma. Reaching an alcohol strength of 8% by volume, it is a Helles Dopplebock.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-01-2003)
3.05/5  rDev -13.8%

A: Partly cloudy golden-orange-yellow. White head that retains decently

S: Crisp but not strong aromas, fruity signatures, detectable alcohol

T: Weak malts, slight cinnamon or dried figs, slight apricot, alcohol is present

M: Light Mouthfeel that rests easy of the tongue. Slight astringency/bitterness and carbonation works a bit to balance the not so overt flavors.

D: Though it is a Helles Doppelbock the beer seems not to have the signature qualities of either style varieties and becomes sort of lost in its mix. The flavors are not too complex which make it too drinkable for an 8% A.B.V. Yet, its worth trying because I found it does produce an interesting experience that only adds to ones repertoire.

APetitfils, Feb 10, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

22 ounce bottle from Bevmo in Redlands, CA; February 2010. Enjoyed the day after the Saints won their first ever Super Bowl (after drinking other Abita beers during the game).

Pours a golden copper, slightly hazy (but pretty clear) with a nice white head that doesn't last a whole long time.

Aroma of rich wheaty bread, almost rye tones. Flavor is bready, sweet caramel, honey and almost molassas. A little too sweet. Slight nuttiness. Too drinkable for an 8% beer.

I am not terribly knowledgeable of the style, but I would have to say this is one of the better Abita beers. Good stuff.

Dukeofearl, Feb 09, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours a cloudy golden wheat color with a solid fizzy white head.

Scent of strong sweet grain, some caramel, light sugars and a hint of fruit. Nothing much going on here, but it isn't terrible.

Taste of weak malts, faded caramel and not much else. A bland and fairly unpleasant beer.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied with low carbonation.

paco1029384756, Feb 07, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +20.9%

SUPERBOWL is starting, I'll be brief!

Pours a slightly hazy yellow/yellow-orange with a thick white head dissipating into a thin cap within the first three minutes.

Smells of cereal grains, orange peels. A hint of yeast and malty sweetness.

Has a big malty sweet flavor immediately accented by a very slight hop bitterness. Dried figs and apricots, raisins come to mind on the draw into the palate.

Thick, luxurious and velvety mouthfeel. Very smooth, if only a bit syrupy. Thoroughly enjoyable.

I'll give this a 4 for drinkability. It's a delicious brew for sure, but very rich and fairly thick. I do really like it, but I'm afraid It will just be one.

MrHassellYaHurd, Feb 07, 2010
1.38/5  rDev -61%

Yellow beer, no visible carbonation, looks nothing like a doppelbock. This is a malt liquor.

Smell is sweet adjuncts and vegetables.

Taste is sweetness and alcohol. Not complex and not pleasant.

Out of the bomber I choked down about half a pint before drainpouring the rest. A hideous beer.

JAramini, Feb 07, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +3.1%

I've been seeing this one around for a while now and I never bothered to pick any up but I decided to break down and give it a go..

Into my Chimay goblet it goes.... quite possibly the lightest doppelbock I've ever seen.. This looks like a Belgian Strong Pale or something.. I'd never buy that this was a doppelbock..

This has a very weird aroma... It actually smells like buttered popcorn to me.. and that's not good so far... I might get a little fruitiness but mostly buttered popcorn.. well.... 0 for 2 so far...

This starts out very Belgian with a nice yeastiness that is surprising the hell out of me.. This quickly melds into a nice sweet fruity maltiness that is nothing whatsoever like the aroma.. I'm very very surprised at how good this tastes compared to the aromas.. I'd never believe it... This is actually very good.. I'm liking it..

Overall, this was a weird experience for me... The aromas and appearance really put me off at first but the taste, the most important thing, was a total turnaround and saved this brew for me...

I have to mention that I didn't get the first whiff or taste of the 8% in this one either.. No booziness at all which seems to be different that what everyone else got out of this.. At any rate, I wound up liking this one....

Tilley4, Feb 07, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +11%

A: Clear golden yellow color with nice white head and minimal lacing. Not what I would expect.

S: Very sweet smell. It almost smelled spoiled at first, but it is a honey sweet smell that is quite odd. Some fruitiness and no hop aromas.

T&M: Nice clean, crisp taste. Mild fruitiness with heavy malt flavors. Hint of caramel and citrus hops make this a great tasting beer. It is a smooth, full-bodied beer that is quite heavy for it's clarity.

This stuff is spot on for the style with the exception of color. Slow drinking but very good. I am usually skeptical of Abita brews, but I'd highly recommend this as it is high quality and tasty.

cdizinno, Jan 31, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

750 mL bottle tried 14 Jun 2009.

Poured in a 0.4 L stein. Very large yellow white foamy head. Well carbonated. Clear bright gold in color. Smells like buttered kettle corn. A sweet sugary start. Spiciness slowly emerges in middle along with the alcohol. Some hints of dried fruit. Ethanol lingers through the middle and finish. Finish and aftertaste are slightly drier. Medium body.

Aroma is slightly odd but other than that a tasty beer.

htomsirveaux, Jan 28, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +1.7%

I sampled this brew from a 22 oz bottle poured into a snifter at cellar temperature. The beer pours a bright copper hue with large fluffy orange tinted white head foaming up 3-4 cm with a gentle pour. The foam is very creamy in appearance and tightly packed, getting recharged from several active streams of bubbles rising from the bottle of the glass.
Aroma is caramel and some white grapes with a general malt sweetness about the beer.
Not really much hop presence, maybe a little grass.
The first sip reveals an average body with crisp texture and fine tingly carbonation. Flavor is sweet caramel and light fruity sweet notes. The beer is an easy drinker with no hints of booze and not a lot of hop character either.
I dont love it but it doesnt suck either, nice, clean simple beer.

sulldaddy, Jan 24, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -16.7%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was a nice golden color and poured a beautiful blond head. The beer has a fruity smell and a fruity taste. The beer had a bit of a alcohol burn to it which I did not care for. I will not buy this beer again.

Minkybut, Jan 23, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +7.3%

22oz bomber poured into an Abita pint glass.

Pours a golden wheaty color thats bright and crisp with a nice 1 finger fluffy white head. Nose is a bit boozy, it's a little sweet and malty with a light biscuit note from the yeast.

Taste is rich and malty but it's a bit too boozy. It has a nice toastiness to it as well as a rich breadiness. It's creamy and easy drinking with a full mouthfeel.

kingcrowing, Jan 22, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +20.1%

This is very nice, fairly simple but quite tasty, highly drinkable, with a little complexity. As one might expect from a pale doppelbock, it is a lot like a more characterful version of a better, strong malt liquor.

Deep gold, it has a very big off-white head steadily shrinking to a foamy ring and some wisps, with a little weak lace.

Aroma is unbaked bread dough, grain, golden raisins (faint), ripe apples, and faintly perfumy in its fruity-graininess. This is a lot like a strong, good pale lager or nicer version of what a malt liquor is like.

Taste is a little on the sweet side, light raisiny spiciness, grain, unbaked dough, apple, hint of raisin, finish of light apple and peach before a sweet, fruity-grain aftertaste. Feel is solid, slightly oily, a bit frothy, and quite nice.

Offa, Jan 16, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +3.1%

I actually liked this beer, and considering I am not a Doppellbock fan at all, that is saying something.

I have always been really skeptical about Abita's beers, but lately they have been surprising me and this is one of them.

A - The nice golden color of this beer came out quite nicely.

S - The smell almost reminded me of a cider, but not quite so sweet.

T - some fruitiness combined with great malty flavors make this a fairly nice tasting beer.

M - It has a really creamy rich full-body mouthfeel and a taste that is spot on for this style.

D- It is a slow drinking beer and would go great with a pairing with some sharp cheeses I think.

I'd highly recommend this to someone who is looking for a pleasant surprise.

phillipzayas, Jan 11, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Tried this on a whim at a bar in New orleans as I had never seen it before. Bar tender didn't know what type of beer it was so I didn't know what to expect:

A - Golden color with a thick head that dissipated fast.

S - Sweet smelling with hints of wheat and spices?

T - Tastes like it smells...kinds of s sweet yet sour taste, light on the hops.

M - Lighter bodied but it fools you a little as it is kinda chewy.

D - Not my favorite style of beer so I am probably a little biased...but not bad.

BeerisfoodLLC, Dec 30, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a generic pilsner glass. purchased this bottle as an impulse buy at the register for a greatly reduced $2.99. no information on the bottle to indicate that its expired.

A- this one pours out a very clear golden orange colored body with a solid finger and a half of bright white head. the head lasts for a while before receding, leaving behind small spots of lacing.

S- lots of bread malty is the first thing i notice. theres some toffee in here as well. smells very sweet. a slight spiciness is detected too.

T- the taste starts out once again with sweet bready malts. theres some corn in here too. sort of spicy and earthy on the finish from the hops. moderate amount of alcohol.

M- medium bodied and creamy. high level of carbonation. moderate warming from the alcohol.

D- better than i was expecting, especially at that price. i havnt had the best of luck with other abita products. this on is probably my favorite. if i see it for that price again ill probably pick another one up.

jwinship83, Dec 29, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -16.7%

Before I start my review, a couple of notes. The bartender at the restaurant where I had this didn't know anything about the beer, so I just went at it blind. When I looked it up here, I thought "Helles Dopplebock? What the hell? I never thought Dopplebock while drinking it!". Keep that in mind during the review.

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a clear golden yellow with a white head that quickly dissipated and left slightly more than a little lacing.

The slightly sweet aroma had a solid, grainy scent with a bit of a hop note at the end. The flavor was extremely close to the scent, just a little sweeter than the aroma indicated. Primarily grain/grass flavors with a pleasant little hop zing at the end.

The body was light (but remember, I had no idea of style while drinking this beer) and sticky. Drinkability was good (in my notes I said good, but why have more than one?) and now that I see what they were trying for here, I bumped the score up a little bit.

Overall, a decent beer worth trying, I'll go back and try it again and adjust my review if needed.

beertunes, Dec 28, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Had this on tap at the Mellow Mushroom in Montgomery, Al.
Brews of this potency are new to the area so it was described as simply being "a high gravity beer from the people who make Purple Haze." Mmmmkay - fair enough.
Initially I wasn't sure what it was supposed to be.
It's big, boozy, and sweet, but the yeast has a presence that isn't typical for most lagers.
It's got a pale yellow color with more head than you'd think for a beer that's 8%.
It smells really malty and potent, but maybe a little spicy, too? I thought it was Belgian initially.
The taste is one-dimensional, however I'd honestly say most pale bocks tend to lean in that direction if they aren't aggressively hopped. Malty sweet, like sugar candy. Not really even much of a bready flavor.
Mouthfeelt is slick, but there's nothing wrong with that.
Drinkability isn't so high. After about 2/3 of my mug, I'd really had enough and became bored...and I really didn't want anything else afterward either.
I usually like Abita's beers, especially for the climate...but this one didn't do it for me.

Domingo, Dec 28, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +2.5%

Entering unknown lands here, I'm guessing. I mean, it's a big beer with the unusual categorization of "Helles Doppelbock" from a brewer that's not exactly the talk of the craft-beer town (average beer grade on this site is a respectable but not amazing B-). Here we go...

Pours a bleached-white head, quite fluffy but it thins to a skim quickly. Color is a very clear golden-yellow. Nice lace, tear-shaped, like wax drippings. "Helles" (aka "light"), yes; "doppelbock"...hmm...

Well, doppelbocks are indeed lagers, and this one smells lager-y, but in the most ho-hum manner, unfortunately. Lotta DMS (creamed corn), boiled veggies, and fainter mineral, sugar and hay in the background.

As soon as this hit the tongue I threw away any preconceptions regarding "Germany" and "doppel+bock" and just went with it. And it's a decent beer. Quite reminiscent of a Euro strong lager, actually, along the lines of Lion's version, or Lobster Lovers. Luckily the 8% alcohol isn't intrusive (a problem area with lots of strong pale lagers); honey/white grape-like sweetness is balanced by an earthy graininess, slight mineral flatness, and crispness of body. Well-carbonated, but also a little sticky.

A souped-up lager basically--assertive flavor, sweetness and alcohol level, none of it cloying. "Helles Doppelbock"? I don't know...how about just Big Sweet Lager? It's not bad at all, certainly interesting...or maybe "enigmatic" is the better word.

Metalmonk, Dec 01, 2009

Pours a perfectly clear golden orange, with a small head that recedes in a mere minute. Brilliant colour, but no head whatsoever (which I don't mind too much).

S-Light fruitiness of the lager yeast, backed by some earthy hops. Some nice crunchy malt.

T- Much like the smell. Pleasant light fruitiness up front, light crisp malt, slight twang from either the hops or yeast. A bit bready as it warms. Nice and delicate. Alcohol is married to the light fruit flavour, disabling its unpleasant qualities.

M-Medium-to-high carbonation, which works well for the style.

D-Solid beer for the style. Not the most flavourful, yet enjoyable. Alcohol is kept in check (barely noticeable). Very enjoyable.

darklordlager, Nov 30, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

22 oz. bomber bottle with a hard to see but easy to feel rough black silk screened spots all around the label. The main picture is an abstract blot of tan paint of a crocodile's mouth chopping down on the name of the beer in bold white letters. The back of the bottle is also sick screened with a paragraph that talks about the beer along with all the mandatory US information. It would have been of Abita to silk screen a best before date or a vintage year, but they didn't bother to do that. Even without any kind of date, it's still a cool looking bottle.

Appearance: A pint glass would have been nice, but my Ayinger Celebrator Pilsener glass was a better choice. By the looks of the beer, I should have poured this beer into a Weizen glass. I know it's a Helles Doppelbock, but it looks very similar to a Hefeweizen than anything else. It had a little bit more of a golden color to it, but I still can't get over that it looked like a Hefeweizen. This Doppelbock was a golden lemon yellow with a cloud white head of foam. It was about 1/2 an inch in height and it had good retention. It managed to leave behind a tiny and clear skim of foam, a big foamy string of white rings along the sides, and a few blots of lace around the glass. Sue me, I really liked the color of this Doppelbock. It was interesting and unique to say the least. You don't find a Doppelbock that looks like a Hefeweizen everyday.

Smell: The aroma of this Doppelbock wasn't toasted or roasted with malts like a majority of Doppelbocks, but this isn't your average Doppelbock. I swear this doppelbock was wheat based in the nose. That pretty much explains the color of the beer. Behind the wheat was a variety of fruits, a subtle whiff of pine, and a quick splash of bitter hops. The strongest of the fruits was the red delicious apples. If it's swirled around, nothing else emerges from the background. It wasn't a terrible aroma. It's just the fact that there wasn't much to it. It was just what based aroma with some fruit and hops backing it up.

Taste: Exactly like the aroma, the taste was also wheat based (no duh!). What was different from the wheat in the taste from the aroma was that the taste wheat had the taste of alcohol backing it up. The wheat wasn't soaked in alcohol, it just had the alcohol backing it up like a friend in a bar fight. I wish I could write there was a lot more flavors hiding behind the wheat/alcohol, but I can't. After that, this beer finished dry and carbonated with red delicious apples and a touch of dried bitter hops. The apples were a nice touch to the beer, but I think the alcohol could have been toned down. It was an interesting taste, but I have to say again that there wasn't much of anything there.

Mouthfeel: This was a medium to full bodied beer with a high amount of crispy carbonation and a wheat/alcohol aftertaste. Not only can you taste the alcohol, but can feel it go to work on your body. Not too much, but enough to make you feel it. Behind the wheat/alcohol was a tiny taste of red delicious apples and that's it for the aftertaste folks.

Drinkability: while drinking this beer, I kept saying to myself that it was a Helles Doppelbock, but another side of me kept on saying that it's not a good Doppelbock because there wasn't much going for this beer taste and smell wise. The color of the beer was pretty damn good though. If I buy a beer to look at, this would be one of first choices. If I bought a beer to smell and taste, I would go somewhere else for that. If you ever want to try a Helles Dopppelbock, there are better and cheaper ones out there.

AltBock, Nov 16, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +6.8%

Before I review I have to admit this doesn't look/smell like your traditional dopplebock. I think it's closer to a helles bock/belgian style in my opinion...hence the lower scores.

A - Pours clear and has a dark straw/light orange color. Had a 1 finger white head which dissipated quickly and left some lacing but not much.

S - Very sweet and tart. Lots of apples and other fruits. Some malt sweetness cuts in towards the middle and there is hardly any hop aroma.

T - For a "dopplebock" this is very untraditional. Flavors mimic the smell...apples, cherries, raisins, some grapefruit. Now this doesn't taste like super fruit beer because the malts cut through well and there is a sour sugar flavor which helps balance it all out. Has a funky tangy/metallic aftertaste as well...don't know if that's good or bad.

M/D - For a higher gravity beer it has a lighter body (medium to light) but finishes clean. Light carbonation as well but still dances on the palate well after you swallow. Pretty smooth and drinkable but there is a tiny ethyl alcohol burn which fades quickly so it makes this beer between a drinker and a sipper.

I think this beer is grossly mis-categorized and has a lot lower rating than this beer should deserve. If I tried this beer for the first time with a blindfold on I would probably have guessed a Belgian triple due to the esters, sugars, and aftertaste combo....definitely not a dopplebock.

VaTechHopHead, Nov 14, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -11.6%

first dopplebock.

alright, well, andygator poured out of a bomber into a pint glass. an orange/yellow color with a white filmy head.
big fruit smell in the nose. apples, pear, nothing too citrusy.
fruity flavor as well. the warming taste of alcohol is present, but other than that, apple and a hoppy bitterness.
the mouthfeel is average. the carbonation is just right but there is a bit of an aftertaste that i dont love.
being that Andygator is 8%abv, its definitely a sipper. average drinkability overall.
I'll have to eventually compared andygator to other doppelbocks, but i'd say its a decent beer.

JordonHoltzman, Nov 09, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours a slightly hazy, gold color with a thick, billowy, head that gently recedes to a thin creamy layer, with minimal lace.

The aroma is decidedly grainy, more on the toasted side maybe, but also seems somewhat "corny" and sweet. There is also a touch of herbal hop, but not a whole lot of aroma hop presence, which I guess is to be expected.

The flavor consists of a light malt presence, with some definite graininess and some green fruit flavors, almost apple-like. In fact, this really kinda tastes like a really dry apfelwein I have fermenting atm, which is strange. The beer itself isn't all that dry, and their is a bit of a floral hop presence towards the end and a bit of heat from the alcohol to hint at the ABV.

Not bad and pretty easy drinking despite the ABV, but certainly not what I expected.

Soneast, Oct 27, 2009

had this from a 22-oz bottle...first time having this bier.

A: Pours a nice golden yellow that is a tad cloudy. Looks like an IPA. Nice fothy head that dissipates after a few minutes and leaves minimal lacing. A good looking bier.
S: Mild sweetness hits the nose immediately. Nothing pungent and no acid odor.
T: Sweetness that almost reminds one white chocolate...mild hops and mod malt leaves a full bodied taste that is actually really good.
M: Rich taste, rich feel...
D: Due to the higher alcohol content, I could easily have 3-4 of these at a time...it is easy going down and smooth.

Overall, I really enjoyed this bier and do recommend this to anyone. The helles doppel is a different style for me, but one I will go back to without complaint. Have one for me. Prosit!

nocheinsbitte, Oct 26, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

On-tap at Flying Saucer served in a cool gator printed Andygator pint glass for me to keep a crisp pale orange (this is a doppelbock?) with a frothy eggshell head that lasts as a thin layer and leaves very nice lacing on the glass. Aroma is sweet malts with a hint of hops. The taste is surprisingly remincent of a darker doppelbock; burnt caramel, molasses and slight dried fruit. The beer is on the heavy side with a decent amount of present alcohol. This is certainly an interesting brew, likely the best I've had yet from Abita.

atsprings, Oct 22, 2009
Andygator from Abita Brewing Co.