Andygator - Abita Brewing Co.

AndygatorAndygator

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Doppelbock |  8.00% ABV

Andygator, a creature of the swamp, is a unique high-gravity brew made with pale malt, German lager yeast, and German Perle hops. Unlike other high-gravity brews, Andygator is fermented to a dry finish with a slightly sweet flavor and subtle fruit aroma. Reaching an alcohol strength of 8% by volume, it is a Helles Dopplebock.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-01-2003)
3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Tried this on a whim at a bar in New orleans as I had never seen it before. Bar tender didn't know what type of beer it was so I didn't know what to expect:

A - Golden color with a thick head that dissipated fast.

S - Sweet smelling with hints of wheat and spices?

T - Tastes like it smells...kinds of s sweet yet sour taste, light on the hops.

M - Lighter bodied but it fools you a little as it is kinda chewy.

D - Not my favorite style of beer so I am probably a little biased...but not bad.

3.53/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a generic pilsner glass. purchased this bottle as an impulse buy at the register for a greatly reduced $2.99. no information on the bottle to indicate that its expired.

A- this one pours out a very clear golden orange colored body with a solid finger and a half of bright white head. the head lasts for a while before receding, leaving behind small spots of lacing.

S- lots of bread malty is the first thing i notice. theres some toffee in here as well. smells very sweet. a slight spiciness is detected too.

T- the taste starts out once again with sweet bready malts. theres some corn in here too. sort of spicy and earthy on the finish from the hops. moderate amount of alcohol.

M- medium bodied and creamy. high level of carbonation. moderate warming from the alcohol.

D- better than i was expecting, especially at that price. i havnt had the best of luck with other abita products. this on is probably my favorite. if i see it for that price again ill probably pick another one up.

2.95/5  rDev -16.7%

Before I start my review, a couple of notes. The bartender at the restaurant where I had this didn't know anything about the beer, so I just went at it blind. When I looked it up here, I thought "Helles Dopplebock? What the hell? I never thought Dopplebock while drinking it!". Keep that in mind during the review.

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a clear golden yellow with a white head that quickly dissipated and left slightly more than a little lacing.

The slightly sweet aroma had a solid, grainy scent with a bit of a hop note at the end. The flavor was extremely close to the scent, just a little sweeter than the aroma indicated. Primarily grain/grass flavors with a pleasant little hop zing at the end.

The body was light (but remember, I had no idea of style while drinking this beer) and sticky. Drinkability was good (in my notes I said good, but why have more than one?) and now that I see what they were trying for here, I bumped the score up a little bit.

Overall, a decent beer worth trying, I'll go back and try it again and adjust my review if needed.

3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Had this on tap at the Mellow Mushroom in Montgomery, Al.
Brews of this potency are new to the area so it was described as simply being "a high gravity beer from the people who make Purple Haze." Mmmmkay - fair enough.
Initially I wasn't sure what it was supposed to be.
It's big, boozy, and sweet, but the yeast has a presence that isn't typical for most lagers.
It's got a pale yellow color with more head than you'd think for a beer that's 8%.
It smells really malty and potent, but maybe a little spicy, too? I thought it was Belgian initially.
The taste is one-dimensional, however I'd honestly say most pale bocks tend to lean in that direction if they aren't aggressively hopped. Malty sweet, like sugar candy. Not really even much of a bready flavor.
Mouthfeelt is slick, but there's nothing wrong with that.
Drinkability isn't so high. After about 2/3 of my mug, I'd really had enough and became bored...and I really didn't want anything else afterward either.
I usually like Abita's beers, especially for the climate...but this one didn't do it for me.

3.63/5  rDev +2.5%

Entering unknown lands here, I'm guessing. I mean, it's a big beer with the unusual categorization of "Helles Doppelbock" from a brewer that's not exactly the talk of the craft-beer town (average beer grade on this site is a respectable but not amazing B-). Here we go...

Pours a bleached-white head, quite fluffy but it thins to a skim quickly. Color is a very clear golden-yellow. Nice lace, tear-shaped, like wax drippings. "Helles" (aka "light"), yes; "doppelbock"...hmm...

Well, doppelbocks are indeed lagers, and this one smells lager-y, but in the most ho-hum manner, unfortunately. Lotta DMS (creamed corn), boiled veggies, and fainter mineral, sugar and hay in the background.

As soon as this hit the tongue I threw away any preconceptions regarding "Germany" and "doppel+bock" and just went with it. And it's a decent beer. Quite reminiscent of a Euro strong lager, actually, along the lines of Lion's version, or Lobster Lovers. Luckily the 8% alcohol isn't intrusive (a problem area with lots of strong pale lagers); honey/white grape-like sweetness is balanced by an earthy graininess, slight mineral flatness, and crispness of body. Well-carbonated, but also a little sticky.

A souped-up lager basically--assertive flavor, sweetness and alcohol level, none of it cloying. "Helles Doppelbock"? I don't know...how about just Big Sweet Lager? It's not bad at all, certainly interesting...or maybe "enigmatic" is the better word.

Pours a perfectly clear golden orange, with a small head that recedes in a mere minute. Brilliant colour, but no head whatsoever (which I don't mind too much).

S-Light fruitiness of the lager yeast, backed by some earthy hops. Some nice crunchy malt.

T- Much like the smell. Pleasant light fruitiness up front, light crisp malt, slight twang from either the hops or yeast. A bit bready as it warms. Nice and delicate. Alcohol is married to the light fruit flavour, disabling its unpleasant qualities.

M-Medium-to-high carbonation, which works well for the style.

D-Solid beer for the style. Not the most flavourful, yet enjoyable. Alcohol is kept in check (barely noticeable). Very enjoyable.

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

22 oz. bomber bottle with a hard to see but easy to feel rough black silk screened spots all around the label. The main picture is an abstract blot of tan paint of a crocodile's mouth chopping down on the name of the beer in bold white letters. The back of the bottle is also sick screened with a paragraph that talks about the beer along with all the mandatory US information. It would have been of Abita to silk screen a best before date or a vintage year, but they didn't bother to do that. Even without any kind of date, it's still a cool looking bottle.

Appearance: A pint glass would have been nice, but my Ayinger Celebrator Pilsener glass was a better choice. By the looks of the beer, I should have poured this beer into a Weizen glass. I know it's a Helles Doppelbock, but it looks very similar to a Hefeweizen than anything else. It had a little bit more of a golden color to it, but I still can't get over that it looked like a Hefeweizen. This Doppelbock was a golden lemon yellow with a cloud white head of foam. It was about 1/2 an inch in height and it had good retention. It managed to leave behind a tiny and clear skim of foam, a big foamy string of white rings along the sides, and a few blots of lace around the glass. Sue me, I really liked the color of this Doppelbock. It was interesting and unique to say the least. You don't find a Doppelbock that looks like a Hefeweizen everyday.

Smell: The aroma of this Doppelbock wasn't toasted or roasted with malts like a majority of Doppelbocks, but this isn't your average Doppelbock. I swear this doppelbock was wheat based in the nose. That pretty much explains the color of the beer. Behind the wheat was a variety of fruits, a subtle whiff of pine, and a quick splash of bitter hops. The strongest of the fruits was the red delicious apples. If it's swirled around, nothing else emerges from the background. It wasn't a terrible aroma. It's just the fact that there wasn't much to it. It was just what based aroma with some fruit and hops backing it up.

Taste: Exactly like the aroma, the taste was also wheat based (no duh!). What was different from the wheat in the taste from the aroma was that the taste wheat had the taste of alcohol backing it up. The wheat wasn't soaked in alcohol, it just had the alcohol backing it up like a friend in a bar fight. I wish I could write there was a lot more flavors hiding behind the wheat/alcohol, but I can't. After that, this beer finished dry and carbonated with red delicious apples and a touch of dried bitter hops. The apples were a nice touch to the beer, but I think the alcohol could have been toned down. It was an interesting taste, but I have to say again that there wasn't much of anything there.

Mouthfeel: This was a medium to full bodied beer with a high amount of crispy carbonation and a wheat/alcohol aftertaste. Not only can you taste the alcohol, but can feel it go to work on your body. Not too much, but enough to make you feel it. Behind the wheat/alcohol was a tiny taste of red delicious apples and that's it for the aftertaste folks.

Drinkability: while drinking this beer, I kept saying to myself that it was a Helles Doppelbock, but another side of me kept on saying that it's not a good Doppelbock because there wasn't much going for this beer taste and smell wise. The color of the beer was pretty damn good though. If I buy a beer to look at, this would be one of first choices. If I bought a beer to smell and taste, I would go somewhere else for that. If you ever want to try a Helles Dopppelbock, there are better and cheaper ones out there.

3.78/5  rDev +6.8%

Before I review I have to admit this doesn't look/smell like your traditional dopplebock. I think it's closer to a helles bock/belgian style in my opinion...hence the lower scores.

A - Pours clear and has a dark straw/light orange color. Had a 1 finger white head which dissipated quickly and left some lacing but not much.

S - Very sweet and tart. Lots of apples and other fruits. Some malt sweetness cuts in towards the middle and there is hardly any hop aroma.

T - For a "dopplebock" this is very untraditional. Flavors mimic the smell...apples, cherries, raisins, some grapefruit. Now this doesn't taste like super fruit beer because the malts cut through well and there is a sour sugar flavor which helps balance it all out. Has a funky tangy/metallic aftertaste as well...don't know if that's good or bad.

M/D - For a higher gravity beer it has a lighter body (medium to light) but finishes clean. Light carbonation as well but still dances on the palate well after you swallow. Pretty smooth and drinkable but there is a tiny ethyl alcohol burn which fades quickly so it makes this beer between a drinker and a sipper.

I think this beer is grossly mis-categorized and has a lot lower rating than this beer should deserve. If I tried this beer for the first time with a blindfold on I would probably have guessed a Belgian triple due to the esters, sugars, and aftertaste combo....definitely not a dopplebock.

3.13/5  rDev -11.6%

first dopplebock.

alright, well, andygator poured out of a bomber into a pint glass. an orange/yellow color with a white filmy head.
big fruit smell in the nose. apples, pear, nothing too citrusy.
fruity flavor as well. the warming taste of alcohol is present, but other than that, apple and a hoppy bitterness.
the mouthfeel is average. the carbonation is just right but there is a bit of an aftertaste that i dont love.
being that Andygator is 8%abv, its definitely a sipper. average drinkability overall.
I'll have to eventually compared andygator to other doppelbocks, but i'd say its a decent beer.

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours a slightly hazy, gold color with a thick, billowy, head that gently recedes to a thin creamy layer, with minimal lace.

The aroma is decidedly grainy, more on the toasted side maybe, but also seems somewhat "corny" and sweet. There is also a touch of herbal hop, but not a whole lot of aroma hop presence, which I guess is to be expected.

The flavor consists of a light malt presence, with some definite graininess and some green fruit flavors, almost apple-like. In fact, this really kinda tastes like a really dry apfelwein I have fermenting atm, which is strange. The beer itself isn't all that dry, and their is a bit of a floral hop presence towards the end and a bit of heat from the alcohol to hint at the ABV.

Not bad and pretty easy drinking despite the ABV, but certainly not what I expected.

had this from a 22-oz bottle...first time having this bier.

A: Pours a nice golden yellow that is a tad cloudy. Looks like an IPA. Nice fothy head that dissipates after a few minutes and leaves minimal lacing. A good looking bier.
S: Mild sweetness hits the nose immediately. Nothing pungent and no acid odor.
T: Sweetness that almost reminds one white chocolate...mild hops and mod malt leaves a full bodied taste that is actually really good.
M: Rich taste, rich feel...
D: Due to the higher alcohol content, I could easily have 3-4 of these at a time...it is easy going down and smooth.

Overall, I really enjoyed this bier and do recommend this to anyone. The helles doppel is a different style for me, but one I will go back to without complaint. Have one for me. Prosit!

3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

On-tap at Flying Saucer served in a cool gator printed Andygator pint glass for me to keep a crisp pale orange (this is a doppelbock?) with a frothy eggshell head that lasts as a thin layer and leaves very nice lacing on the glass. Aroma is sweet malts with a hint of hops. The taste is surprisingly remincent of a darker doppelbock; burnt caramel, molasses and slight dried fruit. The beer is on the heavy side with a decent amount of present alcohol. This is certainly an interesting brew, likely the best I've had yet from Abita.

3.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Picked up a bottle mostly out of curiosity. Had a great label (poor reason to pick a beer, I know), Abita makes some good beers, and the price was right.

Pours a light gold, with ample head that held up for a while.

Smelled good with distinct malt, apple, and hops well in balance.

Taste was OK. The beer was well made but too sweet on the front end for my tastes, the hops and other flavors take over pretty quickly and it finished with some hop bitterness and a crispness you would expect from a lager yeast.

Like I said it was well done, but with each sip the sweetness on the front end just messed it up for me.

Mouthfeel was pleasant a slightly thick as would be expected for a Doppel.

The drinkability for a 8%, was surprising smooth and easy. It would be easy to knock a few of these back.

3.83/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a pilsener glass...

A: A white fluffy head sits on top of a orange-goldish body that dissipated kinda quickly.

S: A nice hop and malty nose with ethyl alcohol scents come out of this beer.

T&M: Nice! Cloves, sweet malts, citrus presence, Mild-bodied and definitely strong. Living up to its style. Lacing was not good. Abv is 8% but hidden very well.

D: Very drinkable. Not much of a memorable one though... but still good.

3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Finally got one of these after eyeballing it for so long. Deep golden in color. Smells like sweet, pale malts. Slightly bready. Tastes similar, quite sweet though. I think I just prefer the standard doppels to these helles ones, maybe that much pale malt is just a little overpowering to me. Can't taste too much hops, outside of what is probably a little noble flavor (saaz?). Not bad but I probably won't ever get this again.

2.78/5  rDev -21.5%

GLASS: Pokal
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Pours a crystal clear, golden orange color. A three-finger head of fluffy white foam sits on top. Retention is decent and lacing is okay, but it's pretty slick.

Scent is okay. Kind of mild. Mild yeastiness and a touch of malts. Surprising citrus notes are here.

Very light overall. Not much flavor. Graininess and yeast notes combine with a slightly more than expected hop presence. Mild floral and citrus notes.

Barely a medium body. Full carbonation level, which is almost too much. Almost crisp, but just misses it.

While the 8.0%abv is noticed, it's not overpowering. This is an easy, inoffensive, drinker. Personally, I like my beers to challenge me a little bit more.

3.93/5  rDev +11%

Pours a clear light gold, raises a massive pile of foam, bright white, dense, with a meringue-like sheen. Excellent retention with good lacing on the glass.

Aroma is sweet pastry dough with a mix of apples and pears. A light touch of herbal hops and very slight diacetyl round it out. The fruitiness is unexpected, but pleasant, partially from esters and partially a synergy of hops, malt, and alcohol. Fermentation character seems pretty clean and the suggestion of apple is not from DMS.

Flavors are immediately balanced. Bready malt with a touch of spice. Firm bitterness, more than expected for the style and very well balanced. A light herbal hop flavor runs throughout. Honey candy sweetness going into the medium dry finish with a little lingering bitterness and some mild alcohol vapor.

Body is medium full with moderate carbonation. A little sticky. Some mild warming alcohol, not at all hot, just a gentle suggestion of the power in this beer.

Overall a very nice beer, well executed. I'm not sure about the idea of a "helles doppelbock" but it works very well as a strongish maibock. Shows a good expression of pilsner malt. Drinkable for a beer of it's strength but with just enough complexity and warmth to demand substantially more consideration than the average fizzy yellow beer.

Appearance: golden brown in color, 1/4 inch head, high carbonation, clear

Smell: toasted malt and earth

Taste: biscuit, butterscotch, toasted malt, brown sugar, and a touch of earth.

Mouthfeel: light for the style,high carbonation, sweet, moderately smooth, with a really sweet aftertaste

Drinkability: This is refreshingly different for a dopplebock. Similar to other Abita beers it is light for the style and surprisingly very drinkable. I tasted a small bite, but not a huge gator bite. I did not get a huge alcohol taste. This is a nice and relaxed sipper. Possibly Abita's best.

4.47/5  rDev +26.3%

Appearance - This is a light-colored orange in the body and very clear with a head that came up nicely and retreated quickly.

Smell - The faint malts are grainy yet easy on the nose and the light booze carries the style through.

Taste - This is much bigger at the taste. The malts are full-on grain with little sweetness but incredibly smooth and the alcohol is large as it should be. No hops of course can be had anywhere in this flavor profile.

Mouthfeel - This is a bit bigger than light-bodied with no bitterness and a light but uneventful carbonation. The alcohol sensation completes the package.

Drinkability - It's tough to rate "to style" a Helles Doppelbock as I've never really heard of it before, but my idea was to take the helles bock and expect a bit more booze and to this end the beer delivers. I guess it's kind of the German equivalent of American malt liquor and if that's the case then this is the finest ML I've ever had. Those with a more refined beer palate may find themselves quick to dismiss this Abita offering, but I would suggest considering what the goal is here because for me this was a terrific brew especially (I would imagine) when enjoyed in the Louisiana summer.

3.45/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Feeling fancy I poured half of my bomber into a champagne glass.

The look is similiar to a champagne only slightly darker in body with golden hues. The white head dissipates after several minutes leaving lacing down the glass. Tons of bubbles reveals a well carbonated beer.
The aromas are light toast, unripened fruit, and some floral alcohol notes. The flavor is malty sweet then the flash of alcohol comes in to clean it up. Slightly vegetal and steely as well.
Lush full mouthfeel, but not as full as could be expected of an 8% beer. Some have compared this to a macro brewed malt liquor with slightly more complexity and would tend to slightly agree.

3.73/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Poured a deep gold with a frothy head. After the first sip, it had some nice lacing, with some frothy remnants sticking to the glass.
Smell - A sweet banana, earthy smell. Pleasant.
Taste/ Mouthfeel - I was expecting something boozy and filling at the 8% abv, but this was very subtle and fruity, and almost more light and refreshing than expected, leaving me very pleased. Mouthfeel was fruity and sweet as well.
Drinkability - I had this thing sitting in my fridge forever, never really calling me to finally open it up, but now that I have, I wish I would have done it sooner. This is very drinkable and solid, good stuff.

3.55/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance: A crystal-clear, golden body with a large and sudsy off-white head that burns out quickly and leaves little lace.

Aroma: A rich and grainy malt body accompanied by a nice dose of earthy hops and some fruitiness. Somewhat Doppelbock-like, but clearly something different.

Taste: Not much to report over what was represented in the nose; dry, earthy hops over a sweet cereal-like malt backbone with lots of dark fruit and nutty notes in the mix. The aftertaste is grainy with just a hint of booze.

Mouthfeel: A smooth, medium body with good carbonation and a dry finish.

Drinkability: Perfectly quaffable, just watch the eight percent alcohol content.

Verdict: Basically a souped-up Helles, Andygator may not be a true Doppelbock, but it is a serviceable and solid enough brew. An interesting hybrid style, I'd like to see some other brewers have a shot at it.

3.53/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle purchased at Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" off-white head over the clear golden amber brew. Head falls gradually, with ample sticky lacing. Aroma is sweet and kind of boozy. Taste also starts sweet, is creamy in the middle, but then hits a bit harshly with the alcohol. Mouthfeel is soft over the tongue, but quashed by the harsh fusels or something, with drinkability being ok. Could have been better.

3.9/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from bomber into Stella glass.

A: Golden amber coloring, nice head and retention. Lacing rather heavy, minimal carbonation. Solid looking brew.

S: Nose is dominated by sweet bread tinged malt with light notes of alcohol.

T & M: As I would expect from doppelbock the taste is malt dominated. As the beer warmed just a bit the balance did level out as there is just enough of a crisp finish. Medium bodied and mouthfeel is tongue coating and silky.

D: A nice effort by Abita, I've been impressed by the Harvest series and this brew. Would seek this brew out again.

4.55/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

best by 01/02/10

pours clear gold with a 1+ finger head that left notches all down the glass

smells of sweet yet lighty roasted malts with some fruit maybe apples and grassy hops

taste is great much like the smell the sweet yet roasted bready malts along with apples and slightly bitter hops

mouthfeel is light to medium smooth and crisp at the same time - perfect for this hybrid style

drinkability is great as well - but watch out with the 8% abv

overall this hybrid is fantastic - reminds me of capital's blonde dopplebock but with the add in flavors of a helles lager - this is my first abita beer and i was blown away

Andygator from Abita Brewing Co.