Andygator - Abita Brewing Co.

AndygatorAndygator

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Doppelbock |  8.00% ABV

Andygator, a creature of the swamp, is a unique high-gravity brew made with pale malt, German lager yeast, and German Perle hops. Unlike other high-gravity brews, Andygator is fermented to a dry finish with a slightly sweet flavor and subtle fruit aroma. Reaching an alcohol strength of 8% by volume, it is a Helles Dopplebock.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-01-2003)
3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

I was surprised to see a 22 oz. Abita so I gave it a try. Not bad... My only critique of it was the fact that it calls itself a "helles doppelbock"...eh? Next they'll be making a Stout IPA... but whatever. That aside, I was surprised at how good this beer was. Easily Abita's best beer in their lineup. I was sad that Stoudt's Double Mai Bock was leaving the shelves this year, but Andygator more than makes up for this loss in my opinion... as Andygator really is a Maibock more than anything else.
Brew was malty, with low hop pressence. Warm alcohol gave a sharpness/bite that balanced well with the sweeter, malty side... making this beer extremely drinkable... and at 8% you have to exercise some caution!

Chantdaddy, Apr 16, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

Purchased in 22 oz bottle. Poured correct color. No head. Smell of sweet malts and nuts. Taste was what you would expect from a hellesbock. Warming alcohols, slick maltiness, and a mild hop bitterness. Better out of the bottle than a glass. Seems to be smoother with less smell involved using a bottle.

scurvy311, Apr 14, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Poured a clear golden orange with a frothy dull white head. Retention was rather short and sweet, but a decent spongey web lacing makes amends for its quick exit. A light visible carbonation factor was observed.

S: tart, with a light funky orange aroma along with a sour fruitiness with some grapes. Supporting lemony scents were also evident, light to medium in strength, but never as dominant nor grimacing as the label suggests.

T: The flavor was tart with some sour citric notes along with a light acidity. Some fermented orange juice provides a light funky nature along with some sour fruitiness of pineapples and melons. A light herbal hopping was nice, but seemed to clash with the tartness of the drink. Dried lemon peels with a lingering fade of sour apples rounds things out here.

M: medium with a oily, smooth texture. A very soft carbonation was felt while a quick finish off the tongue left you wondering if that was a good thing or not.

D: I found to be limiting. Its not one I would bother to drink again , much less in multiples. It had flashes of some good flavor from now and then but just not enough to justify this as a good recommend. Worthy of a try, maybe, but never made me look forward to the next sip and was average at best in most regards.

beerthulhu, Apr 13, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -5.7%

The aroma is sweet and fruity with yeast and malt. The appearance is copper with a small head. The flavor is like the aroma. The palate is average for the style. Overall it's alright but that's all. This is easy to drink but rather underwhelming. Worth a try.

nick76, Apr 10, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +3.4%

Got this from twiggamortis420, cheers Greg! Beer tasted about a month ago, review based on notes

Pours a hazy caramel with a pinky of pearl colored head. Nice viscous look to this. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Apricot, apple blossom, & honey

T: Orchard fruit, slight boozeyness, & honey malt, plus bready malt depth up front. Dryness & apricot dominate as this warms. Finishes fruitty, dry with hints of apples, white grape juice & a touch of booze

MF: Chewy with moderate carbonation, skews fruitty

Drinks alright, but one bomber has me sleepy. not bad, just to fruitty for the style

russpowell, Apr 04, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -16.4%

Now listening to: Sleater Kinny - Be Yr Momma

A - light yellow body with tall white head that collapsed into fluffiness, before completely disappearing
S - Smells a bit like malt liquor with more of an alchohol bite and dried grass.
T - Apple, pear, popcorn butter and booziness.
M - The mouth was the best aspect to this, but nothing to rave over. The carbonation seemed to balance out many of the other aspects (like the popcorn butter) that might have dragged this atribute down
D - Not so much. Strong in a bad buzz way. I would imagine that too much of this would lead to one hell of a hangover.

opwog, Mar 30, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into Sam Adams beer glass.

Pours a pale macro straw like color with a big, thick, & creamy 3 finger deep white head. Head is impressive & looks great. Lots of sticky lacing left on glass.

Smells grainy, sweet, boozy, pilsner like. All faint.

Buttery, sweet, malt liqour like, alcohol, sugary candy, apple, spiciness, hmmmm.

Light bodied, nicely carbonated, oily, sticky, lingering butter like flavor.

Not a big fan of this one. Cant see myself having again.

bbothen, Mar 30, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance: golden with thin head and lots of bubbles. Light lacing.

Smell: I don't detect much in the smell. Strange

Taste: pick up some apple. Bottle says slightly sweet flavor; the sweetness is more in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: good carbonation

I've been looking forward to trying this big bottle from Abita. It is good, not great. Wouldn't turn it down though.

wmthorne, Mar 29, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -32%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Andygator
labelled as a Barley Wine, reviewed as a Doppelbock?
8.0% ABV, 235 p12os
Reviewed 3/19/09 @ Fredrick's, NO, LA
draft>pint glass

Abita calls this a Barley Wine, BA currently lists it as a Doppelbock? Weird. I would call it straight up a malt liquor - not as an insult - but it tastes like it came straight out of a 40! It's good in a malt liquor mindset. I will do my best to review it as a "Doppelbock".
A 2.5 - dark golden honey in color, small head gone quick
S 2.5 - somewhat boozy in smell, hints of sweetness and honey
T 2.5 - Sugary adjunct sweetness is dominant, it's drinkable for 8.0%, better than most malt liquors, but it has no hints of dark doppelbock notes whatsoever...
MF 2.5 - overly slick and a bit cloying. Almost "balanced out" by the high carbonation.
D 2.0 - I would drink this any day over most malt liquors, but it definitely is not a barley wine, bock, or doppelbock! It's drinkable, but it is low on my list of Abita offerings.

FYI - I would give this a pretty good review if it was listed as a Malt Liquor. It's an excellent example of a malt liquor an it would be a solid B+ or so if I was to review it in that context.

unclejimbay, Mar 25, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

A: Poured a nice clear golden color with a finger of white head. Really nice lacing and head retention. Lighter than I expected but this is one of those made up by a brewery styles which I am ok with so long as the beer is good.

S: Apples right up front for me. Some sweetness in the nose as well.Perhaps a pear or two. Not the dark fruit you expect from a bock.

T: It had a nice balance between fruit and sweetness. Finishes a touch on the dry side. Nice clean malt taste than any german brewer would appreciate. More of a helles lager than anything else.

M: Very light all things considered. Well carbonated.

D: Super drinkable. Granted I enjoy both styles being melded here. For the price and the unique experience this is something that I would have to recommend.

aerozeppl, Mar 25, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a clear golden/yellow color. A small white head forms and recedes in an instant. Some nice sticky lace though.
S: Mainly some malt sweetness and light grain. Some husky grassy and yeast aromas. Very light hop bitterness. Fairly standard helles aroma.
T: Mostly sweet malt again. Some light grain, and much more pronounced hop bitterness lingers on.
M/D: A medium body with a crisp and clean snap of carbonation. This drinks pretty easy for being 8% ABV. I quaffed a few at a hotel bar in Morgan City, LA with no problem.

Not bad at all. I don't know what to call this. This is not a dopplebock at all though. If anything this is a helles lager. Still, something that is worth a try.

champ103, Mar 22, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +0.6%

The .75 L bottle says this is a helles dopplebock, so I guess they are blending the two styles...

The appearance and smell are both firmly in the helles style.
Nice rich gold with perfect clarity, good effervescence, but small head that shrinks quickly but remains as a film across the top of the beer. Smells like a pilsner.

Taste...slightly sweet, DMS, pilsner malts, slight peppery taste...alcohol

I'm not really seeing the doppelbock, but it does alright as a helles.

aeminter, Mar 21, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Having never had an Abita before, I had to try the one with my name on it. Good price, why not? I was curious as to what the helle a helles doppelbock is, so I went for it being a fan of both styles. BA has it listed as a doppel.

Pours a nice golden color into my duvel tulip. I was expecting something slightly browner, but ok, we'll go with helles! Nice inch and a half head that disappeared within a minute or so and left some nice sticky lacing throughout.

Smells yeasty, earthy, malty, and a little boozy. Pretty basic. Smells like some good bread dough cookin up. I am excited for the taste.

Taste is honestly, the best straight up lager taste i've ever had. Crisp, ever so slightly hoppy, and a little malty.Has kind of a cracklin oat bran taste to it. booze is noticeable though.

Mouthfeel is clean and crisp, good carbonation, not creamy enough. alcohol fares better as you drink it.

Drinkability - I am impressed with this one, and able to put aside the "bock" reference on this one. This could replace my everyday adjuncts with ease. I could see myself enjoying the shit out of this after cutting the lawn. I would purchase this again.

discovolante65, Mar 19, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

22 oz bomber I picked up at Green's off Ponce in Atlanta, GA. I have been wanting to try some of the Abita special brews and this one stood out to me being a German style. The bottle is pretty sweet with some kickass artwork and it is labeled a Helles Doppelbock. Served up in my Weihenstephaner Weizen.

A: Well . . . this may be why they threw the Helles on the title because this isn't really resembling a doppelbock. I was expecting a light brown or something but this is a straight up pilsner golden yellow. Big time yellow and I am a bit thrown off and a touch disappointed. The head was about a finger of white foam that has some good retention. Time brought it down to about half a finger that creates some pretty sticky white lacing that webs the glass up. The beer is crystal clear and the carbonation activity is pretty quick and motivated. Yeah the color is a bit wierd, but it stands up pretty well in the other categories of the look.

S: Smell is a bit off putting to me for some reason. Getting a bit of some earthy hops presence, but it smells a bit dirty. I say dirty, I mean a wet, dirty, earth crusted shaggy dog. Its a bit funky and not in a good way. It also has a bit of a bready presence coming from that malt. With all this combined, it smells like a decent pilsner on the back end, but its not a pilsner. Kind of bothers me.

T: Taste is a touch better than that nose. The earthy hops are there but they are a bit cleaner and more appetizing than the nose. The bready malt is sweet and with a touch of sourdough in there. There are actually some Hefe flavors kickin here as well with some banana and a touch of bubblegum. Yet again this tastes more like its on the Helles or Pilsner side of the park than a doppelbock. No really rich flavors coming from the malt whatsoever. Mostly just some hops and grains. Its tasty, but not exactly whats expected. This is a beer with an identity crisis.

M: Well this is on the light side of medium but it does have a pretty decent creaminess to it. The carbonation is up there and is really crisp and refreshing. The beer is nice and a bit slick on the palate. ABV is incredibly light for 8 percent and is very well hidden. Aftertaste is all earthy hops.

D: Well this beer is not bad at all, but for the style its way off. I am getting almost zero qualities of a doppelbock here. I mean the malt is not even rich and complex. This is by far more in the Helles area and I don't damn it because that is half the name. I just feel they should have left the doppelbock out of it. Maybe an Imperial Helles. That would be a better title. It is pretty drinkable once you get past its downfalls. Its clean and refreshing. Would be a decent, bigger warm weather beer. Just stop calling it a doppelbock. Pisses me off a bit.

everetends, Mar 19, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a the perfect pilsner color of golden straw. Theres a few bubbles and a very nice two finger head to start,but leads to nothingness eventually. Pretty nice, simple and straight forward sweet malty hay, some earth and a little alcoholic warmth. Pretty simple, mildy sweet malty flavor that gets some help from the alchol. But then the alcohol gets its own show nd slows covers up the mild malts and vry faint earthy hop flavors. Sweet, then warm, then alcoholic palate. Glad I tried this beer, but will probably never buy again.

scruffwhor, Mar 18, 2009

A pale golden color, with a very thick head, three inches, white in color. A bready scent at first sniff, with touchesof yeasty twng. It finishes with a mild grassy fragrance. The malt is right out there and attacks the palate with bready and biscuity flavors. A mild hoppy bitterness, grassy in flavor, with touches of grapefruit at the end. A medium bodied feel, with the crispness that one expects from a lager. It does heavier texture at the back of the palate. This beer is a string lager, a maltiness that is strong. I am a confessed hop head, and I truly appreciate what this brings to the table.

cameraman, Mar 15, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -41.1%

Pours beautiful golden color with contrasting white head that is very creamy. Nose is faint, but has a macro-malty, lemony boozy quality to it. Palate has a sharp character, alcohol easily noticed right away, modest malt flavor, and nothing much positive for the mind to latch onto.

yemenmocha, Mar 14, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I love doppelbocks, and I've intended to try this brew many of the times I've been in New Orleans. Before my most recent trip I'd never had the opportunity, but I devoured this page before my most recent trip to keep it in my mind. I'm glad I did, because this is not like any other doppelbock, and truly is a heavy, heady helles.

Poured a clear but nonetheless rather dark orange brown color, with a creamy white head. Very whispy, light top, reminiscent of many other higher ABV brews' caps.

A sweet but tangy nose, somewhat reminiscent of a Czeck pils. Bready notes, maybe I'd say sourdough.

A grain malt bomb, but not the chocolate or darker notes found in other doppelbocks - lighter malts. A coarse grain taste. Slightly medicinal alcohol note, but the the ABV is rather well integrated (it packs a wallop when it hits the noggin, however). Gum, interestingly. Hops accompany the grain taste and become more noticeable as you sip. Citrus. Some bittering is left on the palate, the tiniest hint of pine. More balanced between malt and hops than my initial sips indicated it would be.

Some prickly carbonation. A feel like you could bite into it - with the hint of bread in the nose and the coarse notes to the taste, I got the impression of crackers from this beer.

The taste settles on the palate heavily, and combined with the ABV make this a slow sipper of which you would not want to have more than one.

TheMistler, Mar 13, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

22 oz. courtesy of the very-generous beerbuddha. Thanks Jeremy! Into a mason jar it goes.

Pours a light honey-lemon color - not a whole lot of carbonation is visible...just a little bit. I hate to say it...maybe it's the jar but...it resembles a specimen...

Quite light on the nose vs. what I'd expect from the style. Mostly a Saaz presence (a little stewy silage here). First lager I've had in quite a while so I may be out of practice. Decent lager character but there's no single element that stands out at the moment...expecting a little more from the malt profile - a bit of sweetness and stewiness is desired.

There is some sweetness than makes it to the palate that we're looking for. Not a huge amount but it's combined with the nice oily viscoity we want. Generally it's mild...more Saaz silage shows up with the stewy spent grain. More "helles" than "doppelbock" for what it's worth. Not a huge bite of alcohol - where'd they hide it?

Feels heavy on the palate as you would expect a doppelbock to feel. The bitter Saaz silage and that stewy malt aren't rowing in the same boat so it all gets a little muddled on the finish.

As mentioned, to me it's more of a "helles" than a "dopplebock." Interesting effort and I am grateful for the opportunity to try the Abita special release series. This one is slightly messy...definitely drinkable but a tweener in terms of style. I am impressed with their hiding of the 8% ABV...defintely!

IBUnit63, Mar 12, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Holy heat, Batman.

The color of rejected chaff sitting in the sun (i.e. lots of dirt clods, rotting straw, etc.) with a large white head that bubbles really quickly down to a thin cap of white bubbles. Lacing is surprisingly tenacious for a German style brew.

The nose and flavor are more reminiscent of an Eastern European strong lager than any prominent German style I've tasted, although the limited experience I have with Helles Bocks should have prepared me.

Super-sweet, with lots of pale malt that have been fermented long enough to impart a rich grainy sweetness that's way short of caramel and is more like fusel-laden cotton candy. Very little in the way of melanoiden character (did I mention it was pale?) and thus strikes too closely to the heart of the euro strong lager/imperial pils to ring true.

Hops are definitely present, as befits a strong lager, and contribute some flowery characteristics to an otherwise rather unpleasantly hot and sticky brew.

It's really not too bad, and pretty interesting. Helles doppelbock seems an interesting style to aim for, given that even a geeky audience hardly has a frame of reference for it. A little different marketing for this (see: Carlsberg Elephant) might have made Andygator more along the lines the consumer is hoping to see. I like the experimental nature of this brew, and if Abita feels like throwing out a few more high-gravity boys I will be sure to try them out, but this one was quite a ways from my wheelhouse.

BretSikkink, Mar 12, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Light golden color with a decent, rich cap that descended slowly to a collar with some globs of fluff. Modest, slow-moving carbonation stream.

S - Walnut, a hint of apple, and bread. A slight trace of hops on the nose, too.

T - This is a nice brew I would purchase again. It reminds me of my trips to Frankfurt, Germany. There's nothing sophisticated here, but I do detect some honey, a trace of walnut, a slight citrus hint, some hops and water.

M - Somewhat rich up front but fades with almost no aftertaste. The carbonation is starting to vanish, so the creaminess factor suffers.

D - This is perfectly drinkable and would be nice to serve at a party where some of your guests enjoy beer, but don't take it too seriously.

pinotboy007, Mar 09, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -32.6%

Pours a completely transparent light brown, twin jets of carbonation spiraling to the top. Nifty sized head caps it off. Sadly, this is the high point of this beer's day. It's all downhill from here. Smells yeasty and doughy, but it all smells like its been left out in the rain. Smells like I get from Magic Hat, which is like wet dog, or sweatsock. Not appealing. Not as strong as MH though, fortunately. Very faint smell of dark fruit.

The one thing the beer has going for it is that carbonation is in the right place. The beer is bready and nutty, a thin watery midbody quickly gives way to a spicey, zesty aftertaste with a kick like the smell. To me, it's sour in a bad way. This flavor just lingers. No depth or bearing at all in the mouthfeel, it's like a light-beer. It's got too much watery lager in it to be a quality beer in my opinion, and what else is left is that semi-rancid kick in the teeth. It's like it's strong in the wrong places, and weak in the wrong places alike for the style. Drinkability is inoffensive save for what I've already mentioned. I definitely won't be seeking this out. Tastes like a weak lager, not a malty doppelbock.

damienblack, Mar 08, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

A: I rather like the bottle this comes in... it kinda appealed to my eye. The beer itself was not as pleasing, compared to others of the style, though. Helles, it most certainly is, with a clean straw colour to it. Head is fizzy and dies out in no time... it does have some positive points to it, but it could certainly look better. A second, more aggressive pour the 'already christened' glass to empty the bottle fared better, but still falling a little short.

S: Whole grain bread, a slight whiff of fruit sweetness, and even a faint touch of lemon (though that's kinda pushing it!). A slightly nutty quality that offers an interesting uniqueness to it.

T: Some full flavours... just a hint of a dark fruitiness, some alcohol, and more of a toasty malt and bready taste to it. It's not as 'rich' as others, but it still does alright. In some ways, it presents itself to my palate a bit like a märzen.

M + D: A little bit of stickiness, but again, not as rich as many others. It's got a good feel of carbonation and a slight, albeit delayed dryness on the finish. Not a bad beer at all, though I'd lean more towards enjoying it as its own thing rather than trying to pile it into the style, as I'd be more likely to lean towards other doppelbocks. Worth a try, though, and I had found it at a reasonably good price.

Proteus93, Mar 06, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -5.7%

Reviewed 2/28/2009 (bottle):

Pours a very clear pale yellow color body, with a huge white creamy head, diminishing. Very sweet fruity aroma, like a fruit cocktail. Some nuttiness too. Some light apples and grapes, light fruit aromas. Effervescent. Some nuts too, like hazelnut or something. Carbonated slightly nutty taste, some alcohol. Lots of light fruit. Some maltiness and nuttiness present. Lots of flavor. Not too bad tasting. Banana taste. A little too sweet for my taste. Hotter as it warms up.

jujubeast6000, Mar 01, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

Poured from a bomber into a Warsteiner pilsener glass.

Pours a nice clean golden color. Nice collection of tiny bubbles floating to the top. Small white head that didn't retain well. Left spotty lacing.

Smell was of very sweet fruit with a tiny sour hint. No trace of hops detected in the nose. More like cider than a beer.

Taste is rather unexciting. Sweet grains and dry malts. That's about it. Has a rather unpleasant hint of corn. Tastes like an amped up malt liquor. What in the world makes this a dopplebock? Watery feel. This one is a struggle to finish.

Gyle41386, Feb 28, 2009
Andygator from Abita Brewing Co.