Andygator - Abita Brewing Co.

AndygatorAndygator

good

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Doppelbock |  8.00% ABV

Andygator, a creature of the swamp, is a unique high-gravity brew made with pale malt, German lager yeast, and German Perle hops. Unlike other high-gravity brews, Andygator is fermented to a dry finish with a slightly sweet flavor and subtle fruit aroma. Reaching an alcohol strength of 8% by volume, it is a Helles Dopplebock.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-01-2003)
4.47/5  rDev +26.6%

When I first saw Andygator after it had been transferred to the Growler at the Abita Brew Pub, I thought what a beautiful bronze to golden color. So I drove home with it, chilled it in the frig and poured it in a glass. Just a hint of hops comes out when you sniff it. Then the taste, I told my wife it was like liquid gold. This beer is a the top of my list. Now that could be because it hasn't been easy to get or because it is so very good. Doesn't taste like 8%.
We soon went by the Bulldog on Magazine in New Orleans. I had the Andygator on draft, my what a killer brew. Great taste, beautiful color. Lovely, just lovely.

soupermirl, Jan 09, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -31.4%

A - This beer poured a cloudy yellow color that produced a foamy white head that did not stick around or leave any lace in the process

S - This beer has some burn to it, which amazes me that it is only (right, only) 8%, and the alcohol is not masked or muted

T - This beer has some grainy notes that to hit the palate, sour tastes, followed by the strong bite alcohol, but not good Doublebock alcohol, more like bad malt liquor alcohol

M - A smooth, medium bodied quality that lets me know that this is no malt liquor, but lots of carbonation to aid the burps

D - I was no fan of this on tap, nor am I a fan of this in the bottle. There is only one characteristic that tells me that this is not malt liquor, and I can get blazed with something much better, although this was relatively cheap (again, malt liquor-like)

cvfish, Dec 09, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -36.8%

You can take it for what it is, and there is generally only one reason my friends buy this beer.

I have had it twice on tap at The Chimes.

Appearance: very light amber color

Taste: taste mostly like sweetened water and the alcohol is apparent

Drinkability: really got tired of the beer quickly, and I rarely want more than one pint.

Jablonski, Nov 22, 2008

On tap at Capone's.

Poured a medium golden color with a smaller sized white head. Aromas of alcohol, spicy, grainy, and somewhat fruity. Tastes of fruitiness, grains, and the same pepper spiciness. Some alcohol in the finish.

Notes from and tasted on 1/08/08.

hopdog, Nov 04, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +3.4%

I've had many pints at The Chimes in recent years... most recently on 9-12-2008.

An amber color, lighter than one might expect, but a definite malty aroma and strong taste.

As several have mentioned, this feels more like a strong bock than a barleywine, but it does pack a kick with an ABV of around 8%.

Rumor has it Abita will be bottling this beer for the first time ever shortly.

theboozecruise, Sep 16, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +0.6%

Had this one on tap at the saucer last night. Had not previosuly seen it really anywhere, so needless to say I was thrilled to see this, and about the only thing I was thrilled to see last night. Served in a pint glass and consumed on 09/07/2008.

A barleywine, really? I think they nailed this one with it listed with the bocks on the menu to be honest. The pour was decent with a very light amber color, some light haze to it and lots of visible carbonation. A smallish white head rose up, but quickly settled down leaving mostly nothing in its wake.

The aroma was loaded with grain. Light fruit vibes and a ton of malt. Nothing in here really led me to think this was a barley wine of any kind. A big malty bock would be completely accurate here. More of this carried over into the flavor as well. Lots of light grainey malts, with some light hints at a grass like hope profile, but mostly just a classic bock like taste. Not much alcohol and a thin feel to it as well. Easily drinkable as no really hotness to it and it was well carbonated and light enough to be enjoyed.

Overall I am not sure how this one is a barley wine. It is way too light as far as I am concerned, but thats fine, still though it was nice to try it and thats about all.

mikesgroove, Sep 09, 2008
1.95/5  rDev -44.8%

On tap at the brewpub. Pours a clear gold with a two-finger white head. Decent retention and fairly nice lacing. Smells sugary sweet, grainy and a hint of alcohol. Off-putting. Taste is similar; sweetness that's really unmatched by anything else in the brew, making it fairly unbalanced. Grainy malt again, with some citric notes and alcohol. Mouthfeel is a bit on the watery side, but not horrible. It's like all of the negative characteristics that one can find in a cheap lager have been cranked up to 11. The worst beer Abita makes.

philipquarles, Aug 23, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Abita- Andy Gator

Huge thanks to Deepsouth for a growler of this stuff!

A- Light clear copper with a good frothy white head. Nice light lacing down my Abita Andy Gator glass, also courtesy of Deepsouth!
S- Very light pine hops with a light sweet buttery malt.
T- Light crisp pine hops and sweet buttery grainy malt. This is a Barleywine?!
M- Again light and sweet but there's a nice creamy malt body and a touch of tangy pine hops. This ones ends a little thick and cloying.

Overall- Actually quite easy to drink an tasty. I can't really see it being a barleywine though. Regardless tasty and refreshing while I attemt to frame my basement. (Thanks Jason!)

NJpadreFan, Aug 09, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

i had this at the abita brewpub today and while i'm not sure it fits the "standard" as a barleywine, it was a damn fine beer.

it was fairly light in color and in the nose, but the taste was very good. very well balanced.

the mouthfeel was good. not too heavy and great on a summer day.

the alcohol content (whatever it was) was well hidden, but apparently on the high side as i had one and decided i'd have to switch to a different beer in order to drive home safely. i made barefootbrewer trade me his jockomo ipa (which was way better on draft as well btw).

this was good enough for me to buy a growler to bring home and a another to send to a person that i'd consider lucky, despite it's low score on beeradvocate.

i honestly think this beer is at least a full letter grade higher than the beeradvocate ratings suggest.

i hope the guy i send it to digs it as i did.

deepsouth, Aug 03, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -17.8%

I ordered this at the Abita Brew Pub. It has a golden appearance with a thin white head. The smell is a little sweet, faint hops. It tastes somewhat spicy with hops and grains. There is a certain bite to it--likely because of the relatively high ABV--dry with a lot of carbonation, watery. Overall, not that drinkable. I'll order something else the next time I'm in Abita.

theghost3, Jun 15, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -18.4%

Had this on tap in Spring House a while ago and just found my review!

The beer pours a pale golden color and crystal clear. The head was light and laced. Light carbonation.

The bouquet was a bit musty with very light grain and even lighter malt. Alcohol creeps in on the end to boot.

The taste has a bit of sweetness and light hops. Clean, crisp, dry finish, posibly due to the alcohol or the liberty hops.

This is lighter in body than I expected and as long as it is cold, has decent mouthfeel. Andy Gator is a simple beer, dry finished and honestly, perfect for those high humidity Louisiana summer days!

garcia2a, May 07, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

I can only find this on tap, which is a bit disappointing.

It's a great beer to sip at your leisure, and has a nice taste that does hide the higher than average ABV.

The only issue I take with it is that it can often times have a slightly unpleasant aroma that can lower its drinkability.

Overall, it's a good beer and worth a shot if you ever have the chance.

sirgeoph, May 01, 2008

Ordered this at a local Mexican restaurant. This place only has a liquor license which meand they can only sell high ABV beers (over 6.2% I believe) so they always have some unique stuff available. Problem is, they know nothing about what they are serving. I was told by the waiter that they had a light colored beer and a dark colored beer. Hoping for an IPA of some sort, I went with the light colored. So I went into this beer having no odea what I was getting.

A - Golden yellowish color with clean white one-finger head. Quickly faded and left almost no lacing. Looked almost pilsnerish in color and head.

S - Very weak aroma. Hints of some sweetness and alcohol.

T - Weak taste as well. Hints of fruity sweetness and alcohol.

M/D - Crisp and light bodied. Went down real easy but didnt have a memorable taste at all.

Still not sure what I drank. Looks like there is speculation of either doppel or barleywine. I didnt get the impression that it was either. A rather dissapointing beer from Abita.

ckeegan04, Apr 27, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -13.6%

A: Pours golden with a thin white head that quickly dissipates.

S: Slight scent of hops but that's all I can detect in the nose.

T: An off-putting sweetness that's not balanced very well by the hops. I thought it would be hoppier.

M: Light body with a good amount of carbonation to keep it easy on the palate.

D: It doesn't seem to be very high in ABV and it has decent mouthfeel but the taste is just not right. I won't be having another one.

gwong, Mar 21, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

Served to me as clear, orange-ish, with a 1-finger head. The smell was faint, but pleasant. I could get plenty of sweet smells, sugar and fruit. It almost smelled like apple juice. I found the the taste to be complex, but light on the tongue and subtle. There was definately the fruit and sugar, but it also had some floral and grassy hops and a slight presence of the malts. The beer finished with a tiny bitter buzz that still left the palate wet. Amazingly, even though the overall taste was quite subtle, I could taste no trace of alcohol in this 8% beverage: very impressive. The beer was well carbonated with a thin mouthfeel. Overall, I was quite pleased with this beer. It was refreshing, like drinking a tall, cool glass of well-flavored water. It was as thin and easy to drink as a session beer, but it quickly leaves you lightheaded.

micahgoldfus, Nov 14, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -3.7%

Had it on tap at the Chimes. Nice light gold color with not much of a head. Smell was flowery and sweet. Taste was malty and finished salty. Almost overpowering taste that got better as I drank more. Mouthfeel was nice, not too runny, not to thick. A nice drinking beer. I will definitely have another.

dteal1, Oct 22, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

I enjoyed this fine beer at a blues and brews festival.

A: It poured bright yellowish-blond and generated a very modest white head that didn't linger very long.

S: There was a hint of caramel from the malts but otherwise the aroma was unremarkable.

T: It was sugary sweet on the front end then a zesty spice hit followed by a warm sweetness on the back side. The beer packs a punch but the alochol is well hidden.

M: Light to medium bodied with a kick from the heavy carbonation and slight dryness from the alcohol.

D: This is a very refreshing beer that is easy to drink. It sneaks up on you given its somewhat punchy ABV which is well hidden.

Comment: A solid beer that I would enjoy trying again. To date I believe it is only available in kegs....I hope Abita bottles this little gem. I do agree that I would not class it as a doppelbock. It has characteristics of a Belgium pale ale.

dnichols, Sep 19, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Had on draft at the Brewpub in Abita Springs, LA. Abita calls this a barleywine and not a doppelbock that it is listed as on this site. Nice smooth taste and dry finish. Seemed to hide its alcohol content very well. Not the best Abita beer that I've had, wouldnt go out of my way to seek it out, but not bad.

biggmike, Jul 19, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

Had it poured into my Abita growler at the Abita Brewpub in Abita Springs, LA. They list it as a barleywine.

Appearance- dark golden, very carbonated with white head.

Smell- slight earthy smell with smell of hops and yeast.

Taste- earthy, strong alcohol taste, dry

Mouthfeel- High carbonation with light body.

Drinkability- It wasn't bad. I guess it doesn't travel well after reading the other reviews.

Beerbuddha, Jul 15, 2007
2.03/5  rDev -42.5%

Came to me on tap from the Greenroom (formerly Froggy's [RIP]) in a translucent plastic cup. Lights were kind of low, but it poured a sickly malt liquorish brassed-orange body with no head. Nose is all grain, sugar and alcohol. There is some weird estery thing going on too. The nose is really the same in the flavor here, but the sweetness ended up being much worse than I had expected. The phenols or esters or whatever the hell was going on with this beer come out way too much also. Lots of medicinal alcohol. Mouthfeel is slick, syrupy, prickly, and tongue-coating. I finished the cup, but only because I'm cheap.

goochpunch, May 23, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -12.2%

This beer poured a a clear straw color with a quickly diminishing head. The smell is sweet and a bit floral. The taste is sweet and floral. It is very well balanced. The mouthfeel is smooth and full but not heavy. These characteristics hide the hight alcohol content of this beer – which is very drinkable.

barefootbrewer, Oct 24, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -25.5%

First off this is not a doppelbock in any way shape or form not even close its a strong malt liquor beer that will kick you in the teeth.Poured a dull light golden with a thinner white head that doesnt last to long,whoo the alcohol is there in the nose for sure along with some toasted malt but the sweet alcohol is more prevelant than anything.Just not in to the flavors of this malt licka starts out pretty sweet the somewhat watery mouthfeel does not hold up to the big sweetness at the start of this beer melding into a grainy,alcoholic burn into the finish.Eh the flavors are just to wicked for me to sweet and to much of a burn,I guess for malt licka its ok but I stay away from that shite.

oberon, Jul 08, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

Why this is listed as a doppelbock is beyond me, as I felt it was moreso a Bock or even a bit like a stronger Marzen at times. It seems most others have been confused by this one as well. Hmmm...

Anyway, it pours a slightly oily looking amber colour with a thin head to it that does not stick around for very long.

The aroma is malty but a touch sweet and grassy as well. Hints of alcohol come through here and there but nothing overpowering by any means.

The flavour is similar to the aroma. There's a definite sweetness here, along with maybe a touch of spice and certainly a bit of alcohol once again, although it doesn't come out bold enough in order to force you to make this one a sipper, so beware. Malt is again the backbone and is the mainstay throughout. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a touch slick.

As mentioned this one is easy to drink, it's just not overly drinkable. It's not bad, but it just can't decide what it wants to be or where it wants to go.

SixpointJMH, Jun 19, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

The wife and I visited Bierkraft on a little fact-finding mission this evening. We have been there a few times. Tonight we decided to go for a growler, or jug o' beer as I like to call it. Right now they are offering six (maybe nine?) beers on tap. In the end we went with the Andy Gator.

The taste is very sweet and sparkly in the mouth. From what I've read (and feel) the alcohol content is quite high, but there is no strong alcohol flavor. Malty, fruity, nutty, honey is what I taste.

It poured softly and had a beautiful golden hue.

Recommended.

AChamberlain, Jun 10, 2006

Not sure why this is listed as retired - I had it on tap at a place in Destin, FL. Also not sure why it is listed as a doppel - if anything it is a bock. Poured a amber-chestnut with nominal head. Mildly malty and nutty, with some sugary notes wafting in toward the end. Alcohol added a touch of pepper, but overall the beer was wanting in the flavor department - needed some punch somewhere in the flavor profile that never came through.

Brent, Oct 18, 2005
Andygator from Abita Brewing Co.