Andygator - Abita Brewing Co.

Abita Brewing Co. visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-01-2003

Andygator, a creature of the swamp, is a unique high-gravity brew made with pale malt, German lager yeast, and German Perle hops. Unlike other high-gravity brews, Andygator is fermented to a dry finish with a slightly sweet flavor and subtle fruit aroma. Reaching an alcohol strength of 8% by volume, it is a Helles Dopplebock.

Reviews: 414 | Hads: 1,447
3.6/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a clear golden/yellow color. A small white head forms and recedes in an instant. Some nice sticky lace though.
S: Mainly some malt sweetness and light grain. Some husky grassy and yeast aromas. Very light hop bitterness. Fairly standard helles aroma.
T: Mostly sweet malt again. Some light grain, and much more pronounced hop bitterness lingers on.
M/D: A medium body with a crisp and clean snap of carbonation. This drinks pretty easy for being 8% ABV. I quaffed a few at a hotel bar in Morgan City, LA with no problem.

Not bad at all. I don't know what to call this. This is not a dopplebock at all though. If anything this is a helles lager. Still, something that is worth a try.

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%

The .75 L bottle says this is a helles dopplebock, so I guess they are blending the two styles...

The appearance and smell are both firmly in the helles style.
Nice rich gold with perfect clarity, good effervescence, but small head that shrinks quickly but remains as a film across the top of the beer. Smells like a pilsner.

Taste...slightly sweet, DMS, pilsner malts, slight peppery taste...alcohol

I'm not really seeing the doppelbock, but it does alright as a helles.

3.42/5  rDev -2.8%

Having never had an Abita before, I had to try the one with my name on it. Good price, why not? I was curious as to what the helle a helles doppelbock is, so I went for it being a fan of both styles. BA has it listed as a doppel.

Pours a nice golden color into my duvel tulip. I was expecting something slightly browner, but ok, we'll go with helles! Nice inch and a half head that disappeared within a minute or so and left some nice sticky lacing throughout.

Smells yeasty, earthy, malty, and a little boozy. Pretty basic. Smells like some good bread dough cookin up. I am excited for the taste.

Taste is honestly, the best straight up lager taste i've ever had. Crisp, ever so slightly hoppy, and a little malty.Has kind of a cracklin oat bran taste to it. booze is noticeable though.

Mouthfeel is clean and crisp, good carbonation, not creamy enough. alcohol fares better as you drink it.

Drinkability - I am impressed with this one, and able to put aside the "bock" reference on this one. This could replace my everyday adjuncts with ease. I could see myself enjoying the shit out of this after cutting the lawn. I would purchase this again.

3.09/5  rDev -12.2%

22 oz bomber I picked up at Green's off Ponce in Atlanta, GA. I have been wanting to try some of the Abita special brews and this one stood out to me being a German style. The bottle is pretty sweet with some kickass artwork and it is labeled a Helles Doppelbock. Served up in my Weihenstephaner Weizen.

A: Well . . . this may be why they threw the Helles on the title because this isn't really resembling a doppelbock. I was expecting a light brown or something but this is a straight up pilsner golden yellow. Big time yellow and I am a bit thrown off and a touch disappointed. The head was about a finger of white foam that has some good retention. Time brought it down to about half a finger that creates some pretty sticky white lacing that webs the glass up. The beer is crystal clear and the carbonation activity is pretty quick and motivated. Yeah the color is a bit wierd, but it stands up pretty well in the other categories of the look.

S: Smell is a bit off putting to me for some reason. Getting a bit of some earthy hops presence, but it smells a bit dirty. I say dirty, I mean a wet, dirty, earth crusted shaggy dog. Its a bit funky and not in a good way. It also has a bit of a bready presence coming from that malt. With all this combined, it smells like a decent pilsner on the back end, but its not a pilsner. Kind of bothers me.

T: Taste is a touch better than that nose. The earthy hops are there but they are a bit cleaner and more appetizing than the nose. The bready malt is sweet and with a touch of sourdough in there. There are actually some Hefe flavors kickin here as well with some banana and a touch of bubblegum. Yet again this tastes more like its on the Helles or Pilsner side of the park than a doppelbock. No really rich flavors coming from the malt whatsoever. Mostly just some hops and grains. Its tasty, but not exactly whats expected. This is a beer with an identity crisis.

M: Well this is on the light side of medium but it does have a pretty decent creaminess to it. The carbonation is up there and is really crisp and refreshing. The beer is nice and a bit slick on the palate. ABV is incredibly light for 8 percent and is very well hidden. Aftertaste is all earthy hops.

D: Well this beer is not bad at all, but for the style its way off. I am getting almost zero qualities of a doppelbock here. I mean the malt is not even rich and complex. This is by far more in the Helles area and I don't damn it because that is half the name. I just feel they should have left the doppelbock out of it. Maybe an Imperial Helles. That would be a better title. It is pretty drinkable once you get past its downfalls. Its clean and refreshing. Would be a decent, bigger warm weather beer. Just stop calling it a doppelbock. Pisses me off a bit.

2.81/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a the perfect pilsner color of golden straw. Theres a few bubbles and a very nice two finger head to start,but leads to nothingness eventually. Pretty nice, simple and straight forward sweet malty hay, some earth and a little alcoholic warmth. Pretty simple, mildy sweet malty flavor that gets some help from the alchol. But then the alcohol gets its own show nd slows covers up the mild malts and vry faint earthy hop flavors. Sweet, then warm, then alcoholic palate. Glad I tried this beer, but will probably never buy again.

A pale golden color, with a very thick head, three inches, white in color. A bready scent at first sniff, with touchesof yeasty twng. It finishes with a mild grassy fragrance. The malt is right out there and attacks the palate with bready and biscuity flavors. A mild hoppy bitterness, grassy in flavor, with touches of grapefruit at the end. A medium bodied feel, with the crispness that one expects from a lager. It does heavier texture at the back of the palate. This beer is a string lager, a maltiness that is strong. I am a confessed hop head, and I truly appreciate what this brings to the table.

2.16/5  rDev -38.6%

Pours beautiful golden color with contrasting white head that is very creamy. Nose is faint, but has a macro-malty, lemony boozy quality to it. Palate has a sharp character, alcohol easily noticed right away, modest malt flavor, and nothing much positive for the mind to latch onto.

3.4/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I love doppelbocks, and I've intended to try this brew many of the times I've been in New Orleans. Before my most recent trip I'd never had the opportunity, but I devoured this page before my most recent trip to keep it in my mind. I'm glad I did, because this is not like any other doppelbock, and truly is a heavy, heady helles.

Poured a clear but nonetheless rather dark orange brown color, with a creamy white head. Very whispy, light top, reminiscent of many other higher ABV brews' caps.

A sweet but tangy nose, somewhat reminiscent of a Czeck pils. Bready notes, maybe I'd say sourdough.

A grain malt bomb, but not the chocolate or darker notes found in other doppelbocks - lighter malts. A coarse grain taste. Slightly medicinal alcohol note, but the the ABV is rather well integrated (it packs a wallop when it hits the noggin, however). Gum, interestingly. Hops accompany the grain taste and become more noticeable as you sip. Citrus. Some bittering is left on the palate, the tiniest hint of pine. More balanced between malt and hops than my initial sips indicated it would be.

Some prickly carbonation. A feel like you could bite into it - with the hint of bread in the nose and the coarse notes to the taste, I got the impression of crackers from this beer.

The taste settles on the palate heavily, and combined with the ABV make this a slow sipper of which you would not want to have more than one.

3.4/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

22 oz. courtesy of the very-generous beerbuddha. Thanks Jeremy! Into a mason jar it goes.

Pours a light honey-lemon color - not a whole lot of carbonation is visible...just a little bit. I hate to say it...maybe it's the jar but...it resembles a specimen...

Quite light on the nose vs. what I'd expect from the style. Mostly a Saaz presence (a little stewy silage here). First lager I've had in quite a while so I may be out of practice. Decent lager character but there's no single element that stands out at the moment...expecting a little more from the malt profile - a bit of sweetness and stewiness is desired.

There is some sweetness than makes it to the palate that we're looking for. Not a huge amount but it's combined with the nice oily viscoity we want. Generally it's mild...more Saaz silage shows up with the stewy spent grain. More "helles" than "doppelbock" for what it's worth. Not a huge bite of alcohol - where'd they hide it?

Feels heavy on the palate as you would expect a doppelbock to feel. The bitter Saaz silage and that stewy malt aren't rowing in the same boat so it all gets a little muddled on the finish.

As mentioned, to me it's more of a "helles" than a "dopplebock." Interesting effort and I am grateful for the opportunity to try the Abita special release series. This one is slightly messy...definitely drinkable but a tweener in terms of style. I am impressed with their hiding of the 8% ABV...defintely!

3.37/5  rDev -4.3%

Holy heat, Batman.

The color of rejected chaff sitting in the sun (i.e. lots of dirt clods, rotting straw, etc.) with a large white head that bubbles really quickly down to a thin cap of white bubbles. Lacing is surprisingly tenacious for a German style brew.

The nose and flavor are more reminiscent of an Eastern European strong lager than any prominent German style I've tasted, although the limited experience I have with Helles Bocks should have prepared me.

Super-sweet, with lots of pale malt that have been fermented long enough to impart a rich grainy sweetness that's way short of caramel and is more like fusel-laden cotton candy. Very little in the way of melanoiden character (did I mention it was pale?) and thus strikes too closely to the heart of the euro strong lager/imperial pils to ring true.

Hops are definitely present, as befits a strong lager, and contribute some flowery characteristics to an otherwise rather unpleasantly hot and sticky brew.

It's really not too bad, and pretty interesting. Helles doppelbock seems an interesting style to aim for, given that even a geeky audience hardly has a frame of reference for it. A little different marketing for this (see: Carlsberg Elephant) might have made Andygator more along the lines the consumer is hoping to see. I like the experimental nature of this brew, and if Abita feels like throwing out a few more high-gravity boys I will be sure to try them out, but this one was quite a ways from my wheelhouse.

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Light golden color with a decent, rich cap that descended slowly to a collar with some globs of fluff. Modest, slow-moving carbonation stream.

S - Walnut, a hint of apple, and bread. A slight trace of hops on the nose, too.

T - This is a nice brew I would purchase again. It reminds me of my trips to Frankfurt, Germany. There's nothing sophisticated here, but I do detect some honey, a trace of walnut, a slight citrus hint, some hops and water.

M - Somewhat rich up front but fades with almost no aftertaste. The carbonation is starting to vanish, so the creaminess factor suffers.

D - This is perfectly drinkable and would be nice to serve at a party where some of your guests enjoy beer, but don't take it too seriously.

2.43/5  rDev -31%

Pours a completely transparent light brown, twin jets of carbonation spiraling to the top. Nifty sized head caps it off. Sadly, this is the high point of this beer's day. It's all downhill from here. Smells yeasty and doughy, but it all smells like its been left out in the rain. Smells like I get from Magic Hat, which is like wet dog, or sweatsock. Not appealing. Not as strong as MH though, fortunately. Very faint smell of dark fruit.

The one thing the beer has going for it is that carbonation is in the right place. The beer is bready and nutty, a thin watery midbody quickly gives way to a spicey, zesty aftertaste with a kick like the smell. To me, it's sour in a bad way. This flavor just lingers. No depth or bearing at all in the mouthfeel, it's like a light-beer. It's got too much watery lager in it to be a quality beer in my opinion, and what else is left is that semi-rancid kick in the teeth. It's like it's strong in the wrong places, and weak in the wrong places alike for the style. Drinkability is inoffensive save for what I've already mentioned. I definitely won't be seeking this out. Tastes like a weak lager, not a malty doppelbock.

3.67/5  rDev +4.3%

A: I rather like the bottle this comes in... it kinda appealed to my eye. The beer itself was not as pleasing, compared to others of the style, though. Helles, it most certainly is, with a clean straw colour to it. Head is fizzy and dies out in no time... it does have some positive points to it, but it could certainly look better. A second, more aggressive pour the 'already christened' glass to empty the bottle fared better, but still falling a little short.

S: Whole grain bread, a slight whiff of fruit sweetness, and even a faint touch of lemon (though that's kinda pushing it!). A slightly nutty quality that offers an interesting uniqueness to it.

T: Some full flavours... just a hint of a dark fruitiness, some alcohol, and more of a toasty malt and bready taste to it. It's not as 'rich' as others, but it still does alright. In some ways, it presents itself to my palate a bit like a märzen.

M + D: A little bit of stickiness, but again, not as rich as many others. It's got a good feel of carbonation and a slight, albeit delayed dryness on the finish. Not a bad beer at all, though I'd lean more towards enjoying it as its own thing rather than trying to pile it into the style, as I'd be more likely to lean towards other doppelbocks. Worth a try, though, and I had found it at a reasonably good price.

3.32/5  rDev -5.7%

Reviewed 2/28/2009 (bottle):

Pours a very clear pale yellow color body, with a huge white creamy head, diminishing. Very sweet fruity aroma, like a fruit cocktail. Some nuttiness too. Some light apples and grapes, light fruit aromas. Effervescent. Some nuts too, like hazelnut or something. Carbonated slightly nutty taste, some alcohol. Lots of light fruit. Some maltiness and nuttiness present. Lots of flavor. Not too bad tasting. Banana taste. A little too sweet for my taste. Hotter as it warms up.

2.3/5  rDev -34.7%

Poured from a bomber into a Warsteiner pilsener glass.

Pours a nice clean golden color. Nice collection of tiny bubbles floating to the top. Small white head that didn't retain well. Left spotty lacing.

Smell was of very sweet fruit with a tiny sour hint. No trace of hops detected in the nose. More like cider than a beer.

Taste is rather unexciting. Sweet grains and dry malts. That's about it. Has a rather unpleasant hint of corn. Tastes like an amped up malt liquor. What in the world makes this a dopplebock? Watery feel. This one is a struggle to finish.

4.42/5  rDev +25.6%

(Served in a glass dimple mug)

A- This beer pours a crystal clear apricot colored body with a gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles and a snow-white head of foam that fades to a sticky ring.

S- The aroma of fresh rain mixes with fresh raw grain and some honey malt. There is a very light sweet sulfur note at the finish that compliments the grain nicely.

T- The dry very pale malt flavor has hints of honey and toasted corn to it. There is a mellow Noble green hop hint that finishes with a soft bitter bite.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no alcohol heat and a faint fizz finish that makes the hops bite very nicely.

D- This beer has a smooth great flavor with a great freshness to the grain and a good balance between the malt and hops. This beer drinks very easy.

4.38/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the celebratorfest. Let me start by saying, not a big fan of this brewery.

A - Pours golden wth a nice 2 finger white head, dissipates slow, with beautiful lacing.

S - Breadiness, honey, and nectar.

T - Fairly similar to the smell, but hops lend a slight citrus and grassy profile.

M - Full-bodied and well balanced. No presence of alcohol, but slightly dry mouthfeel.

D - Great overall. Very easy drinking for an imperialish helles, yet complex enough for the beer connoisseur. Never had anything like this brew.

4.13/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours a pale, dull yellow with a very thick small bubbled head with good retention. Smells of bread, wheat, and cloves with a slightly sour aroma. A sweet fruity fruity attack gives way to a slightly bitter, dry, and extremely clean finish. Very crisp and balanced. Feels light and drinkable, with low carbonation.

Interesting and successful take on the style that is very crisp, drinkable, and packs plenty of flavor. Lacks the malt flavor that other examples have but the flavors that are present really shine. Well balanced and delicious.

3.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Price was right, about $5.99 for a bomber. Poured with a nice head with tight bubbles. Dissapated quickly, leaving lace down sides of glass. Smell was sweet, malty, no hop aroma. Taste was sweet and malty as well. Slight alcohol burn at the finish. Mouthfeel was thin. If not for the alcohol, this might make for a good session beer. But, alas, it goes down too quickly, then bites you in the a**.

Overall, good interpretation of a blond doppelbock. Not remarkable. But would definitely buy again.

3.15/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into an Imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Clear amber yellow with a huge, fluffy white head (even though I was pouring carefully). In fact, the head was so aggressive that I had to stop pouring when the glass was only half full because the top half was all head. Really light in color for a Doppelbock.

Smell: Definite green apple aroma, smells more like a strong cider than a beer

Taste: Sweet maltiness up front, followed quickly by a citrusy note, and finishing with the flavor of sourdough bread with an alcohol pinch. This wasn't really what I was expecting from a Doppelbock.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, very full bodied and velvety.

Drinkability: I just finished the 22 oz bottle, and at 8%, I don't think I'll open another one. It's decent, but it doesn't seem like a Doppelbock.

4.02/5  rDev +14.2%

Comes out of the tap a nice clear amber with a decent white head. Aroma is mainly malty with a strong hoppy undertone and a sharp hint of apple, like hard cider. Flavor is malty and ciderish with a strong but not overwhelming alcohol nip and just a touch of honey sweetness. Mouthfeel is smooth, and it fairly dances on the way down.

3.68/5  rDev +4.5%

"Andygator, is a fearsome beast...much too big for any little bottle"

Andygator pours out with your typical golden lager color, big frothy head with ample amounts of retention.

Aroma reminds me of a combination of pale munich malts, abitas trademark aroma, and a funky champagne yeast. In otherwords this smells like your typical pilsner, or maibock/helles lager.

Taste is a bit more assertive than the smell. Crisp light grains, with touches of honey, black pepper, dry hay, and a twangy grassy note. Overall, pretty balanced.

This drinks like a true Lager in every sense of the word. It's hard to exactly classify this one to style, but it's a tossup between a maibock/pilsner/dopplebock. It has an interesting yet easily approach to the richness of a pale malt bomb. It's very drying, with a sappy residual sweetness, yet for a Lager it hits the marks.

Based on category/style, in this case we will just say Lager. This is actually quite a remarkable beer. Easy to drink, with no off flavors, and a great display of pale malts.

Good job, Abita.

3.91/5  rDev +11.1%

22 oz. bomber from the Liquor Warehouse in HB, $4.09,

A: Pours yellow with a 2-finger white head, great retention, good lacing.

S: Bready malt, alcohol, light sulfur.

T: Taste is good with a strong presence of sourdough bread. Hops are light adding a bit of grass and flowers. Mild ethanol.

M: Smooth, medium-bodied, very easy drinking for it's ABV.

D: This is a really nice strong lager, not overly alcoholic at all. Harkens to the Eastern European strong lager, a style that is drinkable and high gravity, good job by Abita.

3.46/5  rDev -1.7%

Got the beer from Common market in Charlotte.
Smell is very faint. Not much character to the smell. Fairly balanced between malt and hops but nothing too forward.
Taste like a very light dopplebock. Clean smooth taste with a bubbly finish. You can barely taste the alcohol. Good balance between the malt and hops.

2.86/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a mostly clear golden color, with a very faint white head that dissipates rather quickly and leaves only the smallest bits of lacing.

Some malt comes through in the nose but this is about it.

Taste reveals subtle notes of sweetness and bits of grain but not much else. It's a very neutral flavor, neither offensive nor exciting.

Medium carbonation but this seemed fairly watered down. Didn't feel like 8% at first but the more I drank, the more of an alcoholic bite I could feel developing in the background. I should probably try the bottled version but I've never had a good enough experience with this on tap to even want to bother. The bottled Abbey Ale was good so maybe I'll give Andy another shot sometime. I'm think I'm done with this on draft though.

Andygator from Abita Brewing Co.